PDA

View Full Version : Is the problem our lack of high flyers?

Midcoasted
01-06-2009, 05:05 PM
I see it year in and year out. We can't dunk and we are always getting dunked on. I guess you can look at a team like San Antonio and say the opposite, but is this where the root of all of our problems begin? No high flyers to dunk/stop dunks?

xtacy
01-06-2009, 05:08 PM
no it has completely nothing to do with it.

ThA HoyA
01-06-2009, 05:11 PM
i wouldnt necessarily say its the lack of someone on the team that can dunk on someone.... its more of the lack of finishing around the basket from layups to tip ins to dunks

Dr. Awesome
01-06-2009, 05:16 PM
Dunking isn't our problem, defense is.

It would be nice to have a high flyer for fans though. I always loved Fred Jones.

MiaDragon
01-06-2009, 05:17 PM
Rush has shown some ability to get up there.

Midcoasted
01-06-2009, 05:58 PM
i wouldnt necessarily say its the lack of someone on the team that can dunk on someone.... its more of the lack of finishing around the basket from layups to tip ins to dunks

This is more of the lines I was thinking...Dunking isn't everything, but we always struggle to finish at the basket whether it is dunks layups or tips. Also we always suck at defending these areas, so I thought I would pose the question.

Infinite MAN_force
01-06-2009, 11:58 PM
I interpret that as lack of frontcourt athleticism, and yes, that is a huge part of the problem IMO.

I don't wish injury on anyone, but if Murph were to not be able to play for some reason and our most athletic big Josh Mcroberts were forced to play a bigger role, i would be a very happy man. We really need a quicker guy in there with Hibbert. It would help the overall defense quite a bit. Murph might put up better stats but Mcbob would make us a better team, potentially.

Alpolloloco
01-07-2009, 05:01 AM
There's a good solid high flyer waiting on the bench who can defend a little bit too!

Problem is he's the forgotten man on our team, by the fans and as it seems also by our coaching staff.

Anybody have an idea who I'm talking about?

Mourning
01-07-2009, 07:22 AM
Baston

BillS
01-07-2009, 09:14 AM
While defense feeds your offense, I think sometimes offense protects your defense (as well as scores those points that you need to, well, win the game).

I wouldn't define our need as a "high flier" - our guys are capable of getting up around the basket - we need someone with the intestinal fortitude to do something other than a finger-roll or layup.

Putnam
01-07-2009, 09:37 AM
While defense feeds your offense, I think sometimes offense protects your defense (as well as scores those points that you need to, well, win the game).

:kegboypreachit:

Seriously, though, this question is a reasonable one. I'd say the answer is "no." More athleticism would help the team in several ways, but they need to improve in almost every aspect of team performance.

It I were going to narrow it down to "the problem" I'd say the Pacers foul too much.

aceace
01-07-2009, 10:18 AM
We give a lot of Dunks because we are always reaching for the ball. JOB keeps a stat on deflections.... IMHO this is putting us out of position on defense.

Oneal07
01-07-2009, 02:23 PM
Dunking isn't our problem, defense is.

It would be nice to have a high flyer for fans though. I always loved Fred Jones.

Maybe we need more athleticism and length on Defense. Travis Diener can't get the job done lol!!! But I think that's the main prob.

Justin Tyme
01-07-2009, 03:45 PM
There's a good solid high flyer waiting on the bench who can defend a little bit too!

Problem is he's the forgotten man on our team, by the fans and as it seems also by our coaching staff.

Anybody have an idea who I'm talking about?

It must be Tinsley. He's still on the team, could play a little "D" (not much), and the fans have forgotten him.

QuickRelease
01-07-2009, 04:40 PM
I think our biggest need is defensive chemistry. I've always thought about chemistry on the offensive end of the floor, but I'm beginning to understand how effective team defense can be after watching the Pistons and Spurs the past few years. I don't think we're totally lacking in athleticism. I just think we have to mesh as a unit, and that may mean tinkering with what we have until we do. There is a delicate balance with this though, as I feel we'll have to go through these growing pains, and be willing to stick with some guys to allow them to develop the necessary chemistry to win games.

Naptown_Seth
01-07-2009, 05:53 PM
The funny thing is that Graham is by far the team's best high flier. He's got the top Pacers dunk this year (that baseline double clutch about a month ago) and he continues to show power behind his hops that you wouldn't expect.

But is he key to the Pacers winning? Hardly. So I think that says it all for how much that is impacting the team.

I would like to see McBob's energy let loose on teams more often, but not specifically because of his leaping at the offensive rim for a score.

Midcoasted
01-08-2009, 12:28 AM
The funny thing is that Graham is by far the team's best high flier. He's got the top Pacers dunk this year (that baseline double clutch about a month ago) and he continues to show power behind his hops that you wouldn't expect.

But is he key to the Pacers winning? Hardly. So I think that says it all for how much that is impacting the team.

I would like to see McBob's energy let loose on teams more often, but not specifically because of his leaping at the offensive rim for a score.

I agree Graham is our best. I also think Rush has potential. Tonight we looked solid. I guess I hoped a guy like James White would work out but if we keep winning I'll ignore our inability to wham bam thank you mam...

beast23
01-08-2009, 10:46 AM
I believe we get dunked on a lot because of the defense we have chosen to play with the personnel we have available.

You may as well call it what it is. We play a "swarm" defense. We swarm to the strong side of the floor and often attempt to double team the ball. I believe it has been deemed that we have to do this to because we don't have enough quality interior defenders to effectively simultaneously cover the opponents PF and center.

By attacking and double-teaming the ball, your mission is to keep the ball handler in such a dilemma that he doesn't have the opportunity to get easy shot or the assist.

The weakness of such a defense is that you are very susceptible to ball reversal and slashers coming from the weak side, as well as over the top passes to back cutters from the weak side. You are also susceptible to wide open perimeter shots on the weak side. If all defenders are not on the same page and the shifting of position is not done well, then you have essentially what has become known as a "dunk fest".

Could this possibly be our problem?

Jonathan
01-08-2009, 01:24 PM
James White was a high flyer that never panned out. Fred Jones just got cut by the Clippers. Is there a high flyer that you covet?

ThA HoyA
01-08-2009, 04:20 PM
josh smith :D

Since86
01-08-2009, 04:32 PM
I believe we get dunked on a lot because of the defense we have chosen to play with the personnel we have available.

You may as well call it what it is. We play a "swarm" defense. We swarm to the strong side of the floor and often attempt to double team the ball. I believe it has been deemed that we have to do this to because we don't have enough quality interior defenders to effectively simultaneously cover the opponents PF and center.

By attacking and double-teaming the ball, your mission is to keep the ball handler in such a dilemma that he doesn't have the opportunity to get easy shot or the assist.

The weakness of such a defense is that you are very susceptible to ball reversal and slashers coming from the weak side, as well as over the top passes to back cutters from the weak side. You are also susceptible to wide open perimeter shots on the weak side. If all defenders are not on the same page and the shifting of position is not done well, then you have essentially what has become known as a "dunk fest".

Could this possibly be our problem?

:amen:

I wouldn't hesitate to try and dunk on this team. Once they get into the lane area, there is no athletic big man to worry about even altering a lay up/dunk attempt.

If you don't have a shot blocking threat, then you it's just multiplying the problem of getting beat to the basket.

I HATE and literally mean hate junk defenses. I think the most effective defenses are the ones that are the most simple. Stay in front of your man and when not guarding ball be in good help side. Complicated rotations, shading the ball one way or the other, and all that jazz gets in the way. Good defensive teams preach accounatability. Rotations put a lot of pressure on players to cover for someone else.

I don't have a problem mixing it up once in a while to show an offense a different look, but it's too easy to get open looks on a defense that is continually rotating. Some overrotates, two people run out to the ball, or no one runs out to the ball. Eventually one of those three things will happen.

Naptown_Seth
01-08-2009, 05:16 PM
Graham had that massive dunk that he got called (correctly) for a charge on. There are things about his game that are a problem (defense for one), but the dude has really insane hops. I mean superstar hops/dunks.

Of course so did Kenny Williams.