PDA

View Full Version : More Vista weirdness...

Shade
01-05-2009, 06:26 PM
Now when I click and drag a button or scroll down a screen, the button/screen automatically scrolls back up once I let go of the pointer. I've gone through the mouse settings in my control panel, but can't find anything that allows me to correct this.

It would be really nice if, just once, something actually worked how it was supposed to. :grumble:

GO!!!!!
01-05-2009, 07:40 PM
does it have a crazy looking icon ( Circle of some sorts ) around ya mouse pointer when it happens ?

Try a reboot, I think I know what your talking about but heck knows if i can remember how to fix it...

rexnom
01-05-2009, 08:04 PM
Yea, I'm getting a Mac.

Shade
01-05-2009, 08:10 PM
No, no weird icon or anything. If I turn the volume up, for example, it automatically scrolls back down, and vice-versa.

heywoode
01-05-2009, 08:42 PM
I'm fine with people like Dukie not having a problem with Vista and defending it, but I will only leave XP Pro kicking and screaming. I don't need the hassle of having to have top gear hardware and a bunch of updated drivers just to have a new OS that holds my hand when I don't want it to, still has glitches, and won't work with any number of programs.

Vista is fine, as the Longhorn Experiment apparently proved, but I'm sticking with what works just fine.

Sorry Shadely, I wish I could help you...

GO!!!!!
01-05-2009, 09:16 PM
Must be something different then to waht I was thinking

works on Volume too, hmmmm ReBoot..

Looks like me no help either, Xp works fine for me, I'll wait and see how Windows 7 is later this year but really, i can't be botherd upgrading my net pc just for a new Windows.. Long Live My Xbox....

Does it go back to where you started to raise the level or does it go back to the absolute bottem..

Shade
01-05-2009, 09:55 PM
I've already rebooted three times to no avail.

It goes all the way back to the bottom (or top) once I release the pointer. It's like the scroll is stuck or something.

Bball
01-05-2009, 10:07 PM
I'm fine with people like Dukie not having a problem with Vista and defending it, but I will only leave XP Pro kicking and screaming. I don't need the hassle of having to have top gear hardware and a bunch of updated drivers just to have a new OS that holds my hand when I don't want it to, still has glitches, and won't work with any number of programs.

Vista is fine, as the Longhorn Experiment apparently proved, but I'm sticking with what works just fine.

Sorry Shadely, I wish I could help you...

I hear ya!

heywoode
01-05-2009, 10:51 PM
Shadely, sometimes when I click the scroll wheel on my mouse accidentally, it gets in scroll lock mode. Does your scroll wheel click? Try clicking it again if it does...That is the only thing I can think of...Well, also, sometimes the handicapped accessible features mess up on me too. If I press the shift key five times by accident, it turns on 'sticky keys', etc....you might try checking those things...

duke dynamite
01-05-2009, 10:54 PM
You use the touchpad?

If you do, you have DragZones enabled. It is a virtual scrolling area on your touchpad that the software has designated.

This isn't an issue with Vista, just a default setting that many PC manufacturers disable before shipping their laptops.

Go into the Synaptics TouchPad control center to fix this.

Shade
01-05-2009, 11:28 PM
Shadely, sometimes when I click the scroll wheel on my mouse accidentally, it gets in scroll lock mode. Does your scroll wheel click? Try clicking it again if it does...That is the only thing I can think of...Well, also, sometimes the handicapped accessible features mess up on me too. If I press the shift key five times by accident, it turns on 'sticky keys', etc....you might try checking those things...

Nah, no luck with the scroll lock mode.

And it's not sticky keys. That's gotten me before.

Shade
01-05-2009, 11:29 PM
You use the touchpad?

If you do, you have DragZones enabled. It is a virtual scrolling area on your touchpad that the software has designated.

This isn't an issue with Vista, just a default setting that many PC manufacturers disable before shipping their laptops.

Go into the Synaptics TouchPad control center to fix this.

I use an external Microsoft optic mouse, but it seems to have the same issue with the touchpad as well.

Where do I find the touchpad control center?

DisplacedKnick
01-06-2009, 12:13 AM
I use an external Microsoft optic mouse, but it seems to have the same issue with the touchpad as well.

Where do I find the touchpad control center?

I'm not as smart as Duke but it should be in Control Panel under Device Manager - look for the Mouse/Mice devices.

Shade
01-06-2009, 12:26 AM
I'm not as smart as Duke but it should be in Control Panel under Device Manager - look for the Mouse/Mice devices.

I already looked there, but it doesn't have anything specific to the touchpad that I can see.

duke dynamite
01-06-2009, 01:31 AM
I already looked there, but it doesn't have anything specific to the touchpad that I can see.
You may not have the Synaptics software installed.
Almost every Windows-based laptop uses the synaptics software, even Toshiba.

Try this:

http://drivers.synaptics.com/Synaptics_Driver_v10_1_8_Vista32.exe

Scroll down to the bottom of the page, check "I agree" then Submit.

It will then download the utility.

This is what I think your touchpad is doing, there is a certain part of your touchpad, the right side and the bottom, you are hitting it with your palm or another finger, and it is thinking you want to scroll a page. This utility will let you turn off this feature (obviously it's on by default) or manage it to your liking.

Get on Messenger tomorrow and let me know when you have it installed, and I'll help you configure it.

Shade
01-06-2009, 11:18 AM
You may not have the Synaptics software installed.
Almost every Windows-based laptop uses the synaptics software, even Toshiba.

Try this:

http://drivers.synaptics.com/Synaptics_Driver_v10_1_8_Vista32.exe

Scroll down to the bottom of the page, check "I agree" then Submit.

It will then download the utility.

This is what I think your touchpad is doing, there is a certain part of your touchpad, the right side and the bottom, you are hitting it with your palm or another finger, and it is thinking you want to scroll a page. This utility will let you turn off this feature (obviously it's on by default) or manage it to your liking.

Get on Messenger tomorrow and let me know when you have it installed, and I'll help you configure it.

Tried it, but it didn't work.

I rarely use the touchpad, so it's not a case of accidentally grazing it while typing. I ran into that problem a while back and started typing off of the pad to compensate.

Btw, it only started doing this shortly after I installed that "unmute" program you sent me, so maybe that has something to do with it?

Major Cold
01-06-2009, 11:25 AM
Wow why can't Microsoft create an automatic driver downloader and save their patrons precious time.

<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cf4KahUbhgU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cf4KahUbhgU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>

duke dynamite
01-06-2009, 11:31 AM
Tried it, but it didn't work.

I rarely use the touchpad, so it's not a case of accidentally grazing it while typing. I ran into that problem a while back and started typing off of the pad to compensate.

Btw, it only started doing this shortly after I installed that "unmute" program you sent me, so maybe that has something to do with it?
I don't think so.

Hmm, this is something I may need to actually see to help you with. There is no doubt I can fix it.

Shade
01-06-2009, 11:36 AM
It's probably something really silly, but damned if I've been able to figure it out yet.

I did a Google search and found a couple of threads on tech forums with people having similar issues, but no real solution was identified in them.

Another strange thing is, you know how if you hover over a thread link, a box pops up showing the first couple lines of the thread? Well, my pointer only does that for a fraction of a second, then instantly closes the box while the pointer remains idle.

The scroll issue does not seem to affect normal pages, but my volume control and few other scroll menus within programs are all wonky.

duke dynamite
01-06-2009, 11:54 AM
It's probably something really silly, but damned if I've been able to figure it out yet.

I did a Google search and found a couple of threads on tech forums with people having similar issues, but no real solution was identified in them.

Another strange thing is, you know how if you hover over a thread link, a box pops up showing the first couple lines of the thread? Well, my pointer only does that for a fraction of a second, then instantly closes the box while the pointer remains idle.

The scroll issue does not seem to affect normal pages, but my volume control and few other scroll menus within programs are all wonky.
The speed of your scroll wheel may need adjusted. What is the model of your mouse?

Shade
01-06-2009, 12:19 PM
It's a Microsoft Wireless Notebook Optical Mouse 3000.

I don't think it's the mouse though, since the notepad is doing the same thing. Seems like a software issue somewhere.

duke dynamite
01-06-2009, 12:33 PM
http://www.filehippo.com/download_intellipoint/

On the right of the screen click the link that says "Download latest version."

You may just need the software updated.

Shade
01-06-2009, 01:31 PM
Still no luck. :(

Bball
01-06-2009, 02:25 PM
Have you tried hitting the touchpad squarely with a hammer? :devil:

Shade
01-06-2009, 02:26 PM
Maybe... :uhoh: :runout:

duke dynamite
01-06-2009, 02:58 PM
Well, did you tweak the scroll settings?

Shade
01-06-2009, 03:09 PM
Yep. No luck.

duke dynamite
01-06-2009, 04:21 PM
Yep. No luck.
I think what we need to do is move up the next forum party so I could look at this PC...lol.

I'm looking at more of the Toshiba utilities for your model of laptop, and there are some things I see on here that could potentially fix your problem.

Bball
01-06-2009, 04:33 PM
Well Shade, look at the bright side. Once you finally get this figured out, you'll have Windows Vista up and running! I guess that's a brightside ;) j/k

I'm not sure if you knew this or not but I'm pretty sure Jim O'Brien was one of the software designers.

There's nothing worse than chasing your tail on a hardware/software problem that seems like you alone or stuck with it. My laptop had a USB issue and the answer was to flash it with the WRONG BIOS and THEN install the right one. When I stumbled across that after several days of looking I thought "No way".... but then I had to get the problem fixed or the computer was as good as dead to me anyway. Funny thing is, that solution worked. I don't know what the deal was.

-Bball

duke dynamite
01-06-2009, 04:34 PM
Well Shade, look at the bright side. Once you finally get this figured out, you'll have Windows Vista up and running! I guess that's a brightside ;) j/k

I'm not sure if you knew this or not but I'm pretty sure Jim O'Brien was one of the software designers.

There's nothing worse than chasing your tail on a hardware/software problem that seems like you alone or stuck with it. My laptop had a USB issue and the answer was to flash it with the WRONG BIOS and THEN install the right one. When I stumbled across that after several days of looking I thought "No way".... but then I had to get the problem fixed or the computer was as good as dead to me anyway. Funny thing is, that solution worked. I don't know what the deal was.

-Bball
This seems like a Toshiba issue.

Shade
01-06-2009, 04:39 PM
Yeah, Toshiba = balls :grumble:

You're right though, Bball. Sometimes these problems just defy logic.

Bball
01-06-2009, 04:53 PM
Mine's a Lenovo. I couldn't buy a Toshiba after reading Shade's woes when he first started having troubles.

duke dynamite
01-06-2009, 04:57 PM
Mine's a Lenovo. I couldn't buy a Toshiba after reading Shade's woes when he first started having troubles.
I had a Toshiba. Upgrading it to Vista was not a hassle, but dealing with the constant battery recalls I had to go through, I gave up and bought an HP, which is my main brand.

BTW, lenovo is not a bad brand. :-p

Shade
01-06-2009, 05:02 PM

Every dollar I manage to keep out of those *******s' hands makes me happy. :)

Shade
01-06-2009, 05:03 PM
I had a Toshiba. Upgrading it to Vista was not a hassle, but dealing with the constant battery recalls I had to go through, I gave up and bought an HP, which is my main brand.

BTW, lenovo is not a bad brand. :-p

I already can't get more than 10 minutes out of my battery before it dies. What a pile of crap.

Anthem
01-06-2009, 05:07 PM
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu

DisplacedKnick
01-06-2009, 05:31 PM
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu

I ALMOST went to that. But I have so much crap I bring home from work that has real issues with being un-windowed that I eventually decided against it.

Or maybe I was just being paranoid. Definitely prefer Mozilla for the browser though - after using it a while I'm always amazed people used Explorer.

Gyron
01-06-2009, 08:45 PM
Shade, I hear Toshiba has a pretty good warranty Service, maybe you should try calling them and new Egg :D

Shade
01-06-2009, 08:49 PM
Shade, I hear Toshiba has a pretty good warranty Service, maybe you should try calling them and new Egg :D

I will find out where you live, come to your house, and cut you.

Shade
01-06-2009, 08:50 PM
I ALMOST went to that. But I have so much crap I bring home from work that has real issues with being un-windowed that I eventually decided against it.

Or maybe I was just being paranoid. Definitely prefer Mozilla for the browser though - after using it a while I'm always amazed people used Explorer.

Same here. I'm afraid of having to deal with too many incompatibility issues with all the software I use.

Gyron
01-06-2009, 08:59 PM
I will find out where you live, come to your house, and cut you.

I love you too.....

Hoop
01-06-2009, 09:06 PM

Me too!

Shade
01-09-2009, 10:25 PM
Still not working. :kickcan:

heywoode
01-10-2009, 12:56 AM
Still have Vista?!

Sorry, couldn't resist...

Mail the laptop to dukie and let him get it running for you...

duke dynamite
01-10-2009, 12:46 PM
Still have Vista?!

Sorry, couldn't resist...

Mail the laptop to dukie and let him get it running for you...
XD

Shade
01-10-2009, 02:23 PM
Maybe if it weren't my only computer...

heywoode
01-10-2009, 09:10 PM
well, if it ain't workin' anyway.....

Shade
01-10-2009, 09:12 PM
Um...it's obviously working to some extent, or I wouldn't be here right now. :-p