PDA

View Full Version : Knicks consider trade to bring back Marcus Camby

MillerTime
01-05-2009, 11:47 AM
Donnie Walsh denied that he is working on a three-way deal with the Blazers and Clippers, but several team sources confirmed that Walsh and the Knicks' coaching staff have discussed the possibility of adding Marcus Camby, who was traded from Denver to the Clippers last July.

Portland has been trying for months to acquire David Lee, who will become a restricted free agent this summer. Mike D'Antoni would prefer to have Camby as his center as opposed to the shorter Lee, who has improved offensively but has struggled on the defensive end.

There was a report of the Knicks being involved in a deal that would send Quentin Richardson to the Clippers and Lee to Portland, with the Knicks getting back Camby and former Knicks first-round pick Channing Frye. Walsh, however, denied having discussed that trade with the Clippers and Blazers.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/2009/01/04/2009-01-04_knicks_consider_trade_to_bring_back_marc.html

BY FRANK ISOLA
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

MillerTime
01-05-2009, 11:48 AM
Pretty good deal for Knicks. Camby and Frye for Lee and Q-Rich

DisplacedKnick
01-05-2009, 12:18 PM
Pretty good deal for Knicks. Camby and Frye for Lee and Q-Rich

Short-term it might turn us from a 30-win team to 35. Long-term it takes away a player who could be a big building block for the future - except neither D'Antoni or Walsh seem to look at Lee that way.

Shade
01-05-2009, 12:21 PM
Good deal for the Knicks and Blazers.

HORRIBLE deal for the Clippers. As usual.

MillerTime
01-05-2009, 12:23 PM
Good deal for the Knicks and Blazers.

HORRIBLE deal for the Clippers. As usual.

I have no clue what Dunleavy Sr is thinking. Hes basically trading Camby for Q-Rich. He could get a lot more for Camby, and considering the way that Eric Gordon is emerging, theres really no need. I have no clue who CLipps are going to play at C, Kaman and Randolph are both out with injuries and Camby will be gone (if this trade goes through)

Los Angeles
01-05-2009, 12:25 PM
It's really amazing to me that the Clippers are so consistently bad at everything but the bottom line. I read an article in the LA Times that listed the financial health of NBA franchises and I was shocked to learn that when it comes to keeping a healthy profit margin, nobody does it better than the Clips.

MillerTime
01-05-2009, 12:35 PM
It's really amazing to me that the Clippers are so consistently bad at everything but the bottom line. I read an article in the LA Times that listed the financial health of NBA franchises and I was shocked to learn that when it comes to keeping a healthy profit margin, nobody does it better than the Clips.

I think that it beacuse they normally manage to keep their salary low. From what I remember they normally trade away young players that are due large contracts (ie. Brand). They keep profits up and winning down

xtacy
01-05-2009, 12:52 PM
there is only one winner of this imo and that is portland. camby is good and he can help any team but giving a young talent like lee is not logical.

ajbry
01-05-2009, 12:57 PM
Hold up, so the Blazers would essentially only be on the hook for Lee and only have to give up Frye (who isn't close to Lee's level)?

I think Isola needs to dig deeper on this one, something doesn't seem right...

duke dynamite
01-05-2009, 12:59 PM
Hold up, so the Blazers would essentially only be on the hook for Lee and only have to give up Frye (who isn't close to Lee's level)?

I think Isola needs to dig deeper on this one, something doesn't seem right...
That's what I was thinking...

Shade
01-05-2009, 01:06 PM
Pritchslapped.

Hicks
01-05-2009, 01:20 PM
I think it's fine for the Clippers considering what they gave up to get Camby in the first place. I think it's stupid for New York, and robbery for the Blazers.

count55
01-05-2009, 01:21 PM
I think that it beacuse they normally manage to keep their salary low. From what I remember they normally trade away young players that are due large contracts (ie. Brand). They keep profits up and winning down

They do have a history of this, but Brand is a bad example. The Clips re-signed him (and matched Corey Maggette) a few years ago to a large contract. They intended to do that this off-season, but they had to renounce their rights to him in order to sign Baron. That left them only about $13mm to offer him (under the cap), and Philly just was able to outbid them.

Bball
01-05-2009, 01:30 PM
10 years later and Walsh could finally have a Marcus Camby on his team....

Justin Tyme
01-05-2009, 01:49 PM
Why would Portland want Lee with Oden, Aldridge, and Przybilla, when they have Ike Diogu? If Portland gets Lee for Frye, I'm going to get real po'd.

ChicagoJ
01-05-2009, 03:25 PM
The winner is...

10 years later and Walsh could finally have a Marcus Camby on his team....

pacergod2
01-05-2009, 03:28 PM
Let's see. Portland would do this trade for one reason. To MAKE SURE they have the best young front court in the league.

Hicks
01-05-2009, 03:34 PM
I was just watching Game 3 of the '99 ECF and that was one of those games that Camby tricked Donnie Walsh into pursuing Jonathan Bender a month later. Made the Pacer bigs look slow as hell. Even if they were, it's a shame they didn't keep up their reputation of having the tallest team in the league (though I guess Bender technically did do that. :D). Long-term, they should have just kept some big bruisers around like the Davises and coached them to better position themselves to keep the Camby's of the world at bay.

MrSparko
01-05-2009, 04:50 PM
Why would Portland want Lee with Oden, Aldridge, and Przybilla, when they have Ike Diogu? If Portland gets Lee for Frye, I'm going to get real po'd.

Diogu might not even be in the league next year where as Lee could be a solid starter or fantastic rotation player for years to come.

Justin Tyme
01-05-2009, 05:36 PM
Diogu might not even be in the league next year where as Lee could be a solid starter or fantastic rotation player for years to come.

I guess you didn't catch my sarcasm about Diogu, the crown jewel of the GS trade. You are absolutely right about Ike might not even be in the league next year.

If Portland gets Lee for Frye, kudos to their FO.

MillerTime
01-05-2009, 05:40 PM
From what Ive been reading, NY isnt happy with Lee's defense, but I dont think Frye's defense is any better

DisplacedKnick
01-05-2009, 05:58 PM
From what Ive been reading, NY isnt happy with Lee's defense, but I dont think Frye's defense is any better

Nobody can be happy with Lee's defense - hard to say if he could get to average with a good defensive coach and next to a center that can defend.

MillerTime
01-05-2009, 06:01 PM
Nobody can be happy with Lee's defense - hard to say if he could get to average with a good defensive coach and next to a center that can defend.

Could his defense be bad beause the Knicks have him at C? Hes really undersized as a C. His natural position was SF/PF.