PDA

View Full Version : Bruno's Mailbad- Will Reggie Return?

Will Galen
06-23-2004, 07:02 PM
http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/question_040623.html

Will Reggie Return?
Wednesday, June 23, 2004

QUESTION OF THE DAY
Conrad Brunner
Q. I just read a pretty depressing article on ESPN that questioned whether or not Reggie (Miller) has played his final game as a Pacer. Please tell me he wouldn't pull a (John) Stockton and retire now. Not when next year looks to be so promising. Not when he can have a really great last season. Picture him playing his last game at Madison Square Garden and getting an ovation for once and a last hug from Spike Lee after the game! One last shot at a title! What do you think: is he coming back? Or might June 1, 2004 really be the worst day in Pacers franchise history? (From Chris in Cupertino, CA)

A. Understand, this is entirely speculative on my part. But I would be surprised if Reggie Miller did anything other than come back for at least one more season. Though he isn’t an explosive scorer anymore, he does remain a threat whose presence has an effect on the way teams defend the Pacers. When he’s on the floor, whether he’s shooting or not, he stretches the defense, creating space inside for Jermaine O’Neal and others to go to work. He also has become very good with the ball, ranking among the NBA leaders in assist-turnover ratio. His defense, always underrated, remains credible. Beyond all of those factors are the intangibles, primarily the example he sets with his work ethic. In other words, even at 10 points per game, he is a very valuable member of the team.

It remains to be seen exactly how his role would change, if at all. He averaged 28.2 minutes per game during the regular season and 28.4 in the playoffs. Rick Carlisle has said Reggie’s spot in the starting lineup is safe as long as he’s the head coach. If the Pacers draft a young shooter Thursday night, it would be an ideal scenario for Reggie to spend a season or two as a mentor. And then there’s this: he still wants to win a championship before he retires, and next season just might offer the best chance of his career to grab the ring. There simply are too many reasons for Reggie to return, and too few to suggest he would retire.

If you'd like to pose a Question of the Day to Conrad Brunner, submit it along with your full name and hometown to Bruno's_mailbag@pacers.com Brunner’s opinions are his own and do not necessarily reflect those of Pacers players, coaches or management.

MSA2CF
06-23-2004, 07:11 PM
...His defense, always underrated, remains credible....

Hicks
06-23-2004, 07:13 PM

That's a joke.

MSA2CF
06-23-2004, 07:14 PM

That's a joke.

:rotflmao: You are exactly what Conrad was talking about.

A-Train
06-23-2004, 08:05 PM

Perhaps as a backup SG, but no longer as a starter.

If Reggie comes off the bench next year, we win the whole thing.

If Al leaves, and Reggie comes off the bench, what's the chance of Reggie winning 6th Man of the Year?

:o

:cool: