PDA

View Full Version : The Skills Game (All Stars)

able
01-31-2004, 01:32 PM
This was on for the first time last year, and J. Kidd won this (PG specific) contest.

skill game (http://www.nba.com/allstar2004/skills_challenge/)

I have no idea who is competing this year, simply no announcement found yet, but I was kinda thinking, wouldn't it be nice to have Tins compete ?

I have a feeling he would not do bad at all.

:stupid:

MSA2CF
01-31-2004, 02:03 PM
I bet he'd slip in that around-the-back layup somehow. :dance:

MSA2CF
01-31-2004, 02:07 PM
I'd like to see a skills game for all 5 positions.

kerosene
01-31-2004, 03:03 PM
I enjoyed the skills comp last year and was hoping they'd do it again.

Natston
01-31-2004, 03:52 PM

Just wondering, how would the PF/C and the SF/SG challenge differ?

MSA2CF
01-31-2004, 04:18 PM

Centers would have a free throw challenge. Best out of 5.

Centers would have a hook shot challenge. Whose is prettiest?

Centers would have a slamma-jamma challenge. There would be a machine attached to the goal to see how hard the centers jam down on the rim and whoever has the most force wins that one.

Power Forwards would have a turnaround jumper challenge. Points awarded on making the most shots in 20 seconds and style.

Power Forwards would have a rebounding challenge. Several people with racks and racks of basketballs shoot at the rim and the forward has to rebound as many balls and pass them away as he can in 60 seconds. Most rebounds wins.

Power Forwards would have a point forward challenge. They are handed the ball at one end of the court and then have to dribble, like a point guard, and run to the other end and make a finger roll. Then, he has to grab a ball there and repeat it at the other end. Fastest time wins. If he loses control of the ball while running down court, he must start over.

Small Forwards would have a three point shootout.

Small Forwards would have a behind-the-back pass challenge. They'd be positioned at the top of the key and have to make a behind the back pass to a target stationed at the elbow of the 3 point line.

Small Forwards would have an alley-oop challenge. They are placed at 5 different points on the court. (the corners, elbows, and top of the key) They're given one chance from each spot to lob an alley-oop to a man running to the basket. If the man dunks it, the player is awarded bonus points. Points are also awarded on style and the "prettiness" of the pass.

Shooting Guards would have a blind-folded 3 point challenge. The player picks a spot outside the 3 point line and gets 10 tries to make the shot while blind-folded. The player with most makes wins.

This one is my favorite:
Shooting Guards would have a crossover dribble challenge. Each player takes on Ron Artest near the 3 point line and if he can shake or break Ron's ankles, and make a layup too, he gets points. If they lose control, Ron steals the ball or the player misses the layup, they're eliminated. If more than one accomplishes the feat, they have to make a layup of some sort with Yao Ming standing at the circle under the basket. If they miss the shot or if it's rejected, they have to retrieve the ball and keep trying until he makes it. It's timed and the player who has the quickest time in making the layup against Yao wins.

Shooting Guards would have a free throw challenge. Each player is at one end of the court and each must shoot free throws under-handed (the Granny shot). They must make 5 FTs, and then, must run to half court and the first one to hit the rim (from halfcourt) wins the contest.

Kstat
01-31-2004, 04:53 PM

Centers would have a slamma-jamma challenge. There would be a machine attached to the goal to see how hard the centers jam down on the rim and whoever has the most force wins that one.

Power Forwards would have a turnaround jumper challenge. Points awarded on making the most shots in 20 seconds and style.

Power Forwards would have a rebounding challenge. Several people with racks and racks of basketballs shoot at the rim and the forward has to rebound as many balls and pass them away as he can in 60 seconds. Most rebounds wins.

Power Forwards would have a point forward challenge. They are handed the ball at one end of the court and then have to dribble, like a point guard, and run to the other end and make a finger roll. Then, he has to grab a ball there and repeat it at the other end. Fastest time wins. If he loses control of the ball while running down court, he must start over.

Small Forwards would have a behind-the-back pass challenge. They'd be positioned at the top of the key and have to make a behind the back pass to a target stationed at the elbow of the 3 point line.

Small Forwards would have an alley-oop challenge. They are placed at 5 different points on the court. (the corners, elbows, and top of the key) They're given one chance from each spot to lob an alley-oop to a man running to the basket. If the man dunks it, the player is awarded bonus points. Points are also awarded on style and the "prettiness" of the pass.

Shooting Guards would have a blind-folded 3 point challenge. The player picks a spot outside the 3 point line and gets 10 tries to make the shot while blind-folded. The player with most makes wins.

This one is my favorite:
Shooting Guards would have a crossover dribble challenge. Each player takes on Ron Artest near the 3 point line and if he can shake or break Ron's ankles, and make a layup too, he gets points. If they lose control, Ron steals the ball or the player misses the layup, they're eliminated. If more than one accomplishes the feat, they have to make a layup of some sort with Yao Ming standing at the circle under the basket. If they miss the shot or if it's rejected, they have to retrieve the ball and keep trying until he makes it. It's timed and the player who has the quickest time in making the layup against Yao wins.

Shooting Guards would have a free throw challenge. Each player is at one end of the court and each must shoot free throws under-handed (the Granny shot). They must make 5 FTs, and then, must run to half court and the first one to hit the rim (from halfcourt) wins the contest.

First of all, the skills competition is ONE EVENT, not THREE. Its a COMBINATION of 3 events, in one timed sequence. None of your ideas work.

able
01-31-2004, 05:19 PM
The question was not what someone would like to make of it one day on a sunny sunday, but whether we would like to see Jamaal in it and what we think his results would be in such an event.

:stupid:

MSA2CF
01-31-2004, 08:46 PM

This one is my favorite:

First of all, the skills competition is ONE EVENT, not THREE. Its a COMBINATION of 3 events, in one timed sequence. None of your ideas work.

Yeah I was going to answer the question, but I liked my idea better. :jump:

Snickers
01-31-2004, 09:23 PM

This one is my favorite:

I'd watch that. :D

Natston
01-31-2004, 09:25 PM

This one is my favorite:

I'd watch that. :D

Do you know how long that would take? :o