PDA

View Full Version : Pacers "Really Active" as Draft Draws Near

Will Galen
06-23-2004, 06:58 PM
http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/news_draft_040623.html

Pacers "Really Active"as Draft Draws Near
By Conrad Brunner | June 23, 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The door isn’t necessarily closed on Tracy McGrady, but the Pacers are also involved in other trade discussions that could take them in a variety of directions with the NBA Draft one day away.

Franchise CEO Donnie Walsh said Wednesday evening the Pacers were “really active” in the market, but declined to get specific about the details.

“It could involve the draft. If the McGrady thing heated up, it could involve him,” Walsh said. “We’re involved in a lot of different things, but I don’t know which one will take hold. A lot of these deals would have to be done July 15 (when the NBA allows team to begin signing free agents, thereby facilitating sign-and-trade moves). Even some of the deals involving the draft would have to be done like that.

“We’re really active and we think something could get done.”

McGrady appeared headed to Houston in a six-player trade featuring Steve Francis on Tuesday, but that deal began to fall apart after Francis balked at the prospect of playing in Orlando. That left the door open for other teams that previously had expressed interest in McGrady, including the Pacers and Phoenix.

“I can’t say we’re definitely out of it,” Walsh said.

In addition to the McGrady discussions, the Pacers have been mentioned in several other published reports of trade discussions. They’ve been linked with the Chicago Bulls in discussions for the No. 3 pick and Cleveland for the No. 10 pick. Reports out of both New York and Memphis have involved the Pacers with varying degrees of specificity. All of the reports involve either Al Harrington or Ron Artest.

Cavs general manager John Paxson told the Akron Beacon Journal the chances of keeping the No. 10 pick were “about 50-50.” To make the deal work under salary cap rules, Cleveland reportedly could add veteran center Tony Battie to the package. Just exactly who the Pacers would target at No. 10 is uncertain, although team president Larry Bird has expressed interest in 6-7 Oregon guard-forward Luke Jackson, who has been projected at that pick.

Knicks boss and former Pacers coach Isiah Thomas, reportedly interested in Harrington, said he wouldn’t hesitate to make a deal with the franchise that fired him last summer.

"I would do business with Indiana," Thomas told the New York Daily News. "I would have no problem making a trade or doing business with them."

With so little certainty about the draft – Orlando has yet to indicate whether it will use the No. 1 pick on UConn star Emeka Okafor or high school sensation Dwight Howard – and so many veteran stars on the market, draft night promises plenty of intrigue throughout the league.

Among the most prominent players mentioned in trade rumors are McGrady, Shaquille O’Neal, Allen Iverson, Paul Pierce, Antoine Walker and Michael Finley.

“There’s something going on in this league that if you don’t win everybody wants to move to a different team until they get it right,” said Bird. “But I think that overall it’s just players get into a situation where they get frustrated and the grass always looks greener on the other side. And everybody’s chasing the one dream, trying to win a championship. They’re going to try to do the best they possibly can for themselves to put them in a position to have an opportunity to win it.”

Hicks
06-23-2004, 07:02 PM
Sounds like SOMETHING will happen sooner or later. Hopefully soon.

sixthman
06-23-2004, 07:08 PM
Honestly, I find this time of the year really interesting. Stressful, kind of. But certainly not boring.

blanket
06-23-2004, 07:13 PM
A lot of these deals would have to be done July 15 (when the NBA allows team to begin signing free agents, thereby facilitating sign-and-trade moves). Even some of the deals involving the draft would have to be done like that.

I found this part really interesting. While we've been linked with a number of players and draft prospects, this is the first I've heard about us being linked to any FAs (except Dampier, maybe). This raises the level of intrigue.

Also, does it seem like Walsh is talking about this stuff more than usual, and that he's being more specific that usual?

Will Galen
06-23-2004, 07:15 PM
Sounds like SOMETHING will happen sooner or later. Hopefully soon.

Amen to that. I'm tired on rumor's that make no sense, and rumors that won't die, and rumors I hope don't happen.

The players I would like the Pacers to wind up with, in order of preference.

Tmac
Pierce
Livingston
Luke Jackson
Blount

The players I'm willing to trade.

Pollard
Al or Artest
JJ

MSA2CF
06-23-2004, 07:17 PM
*sigh* I hate to remind you guys, but after the rumors end and we do "the move," you will all be either bored or extremely anxious for next season to start.

Shade
06-23-2004, 07:18 PM
SOMETHING is going to happen. And I'll bet it's something NONE of us see coming.

Natston
06-23-2004, 07:19 PM
you will all be either bored or extremely anxious for next season to start.

I am already both. :unimpressed: The worst that will happen is that I'll be really pissed about the trade....

Will Galen
06-23-2004, 07:19 PM
Also, does it seem like Walsh is talking about this stuff more than usual, and that he's being more specific that usual?

I think there is more interest because more is going on, so he's getting interviewed more. Joe Ash, Bird's assistant is even getting interviewed. They still aren't telling us anything . . . as they shouldn't.

MSA2CF
06-23-2004, 07:30 PM
SOMETHING is going to happen. And I'll bet it's something NONE of us see coming.

Sabonis will be signed.
Smits will be signed.
Mark Jackson will be signed.
We will trade Telfair for Dale Davis.

There, I'm covered. ;)

Snickers
06-23-2004, 07:34 PM
*Out on a limb!!* .... We'll make a trade with either New York or Boston. Seems right now that Chicago and Orlando are our two most likely trading partners, but I feel like making a weird prediction so if it happens, I can pull it out and say "I told you so!!!"

But in a kinder, gentler way. Because I'm a nice guy.

:P

Steveman
06-23-2004, 07:35 PM
This is a weak draft, no one there that can help us right away. The Pacers should concentrate their energies and use resources to aquire a experienced star SG, such as T-Mac, Pierce, Allen, Finley, etc ...

Shade
06-23-2004, 07:35 PM
*obligatory T-Mac reference*

:devil:

A-Train
06-23-2004, 08:00 PM

You now what, I hope so! I'd love to see the Pacers do something completely "out of the box" and add just the right piece to this team.

Something in the way of getting Pierce or Ray Allen somehow. Something that makes us all sit back and go, "Wow, how did Bird/Walsh ever get THAT done???" type of a deal.

Shade
06-23-2004, 08:04 PM

You now what, I hope so! I'd love to see the Pacers do something completely "out of the box" and add just the right piece to this team.

Something in the way of getting Pierce or Ray Allen somehow. Something that makes us all sit back and go, "Wow, how did Bird/Walsh ever get THAT done???" type of a deal.

I don't think you've been paying attention for the last couple of decades. :laugh:

Young
06-23-2004, 08:07 PM
I sure hope we get a suprise tomorrow.

One DW Suprsie coming up with a Larry Bird on the side. :devil:

Shade
06-23-2004, 08:24 PM
T-MAC, you dirty McGradys!!! TEEEEE-MAAAAAC!!!!!

Suaveness
06-23-2004, 10:07 PM
I would love Redd too...too bad he's almost untouchable...

Snickers
06-23-2004, 10:14 PM
T-MAC, you dirty McGradys!!! TEEEEE-MAAAAAC!!!!!

Psh. Why should all us McGradys start listening to a McGrate like you? Tracy the Tmac up. :rolleyes: