PDA

View Full Version : Best Sports Story of 2008

Jonathan
01-01-2009, 05:13 PM
I am voting for Josh Hamilton first round of the 2008 allstar homerun derby. Let me know what you people think is the best sports stories of the past year 2008?

travmil
01-01-2009, 08:18 PM
Big headed, arrogant, jerkish Patriots lose the Super Bowl after a perfect regular season.

ChicagoJ
01-01-2009, 09:33 PM
Usain Bolt. No question about it.

Bball
01-02-2009, 03:10 AM
I'd vote for the Patriot loss after the media had already shined their GOAT trophy and was ready to award it but I'd think Michael Phelps might be the top vote getter.

-Bball

idioteque
01-02-2009, 10:13 AM
Usain Bolt. No question about it.

But he's not American, so no one in the USA media gives a ****.

This story has been so overlooked its sad. No, I'm not asking US networks to make something that happened in the English Premier League one of the big 2008 stories, but come on, Americans at least compete in international track and field and we hear nothing about this?

Putnam
01-02-2009, 10:15 AM
Big headed, arrogant, jerkish Patriots lose the Super Bowl after a perfect regular season.

Yeah!

Unclebuck
01-02-2009, 12:34 PM
Phelps

Hicks
01-02-2009, 12:43 PM
The SuperBowl and Michael Phelps

Major Cold
01-02-2009, 01:10 PM
Anything not Favre. I wish he would just leave already. Not just the NFL, but leave anywhere there is a camera or microphone. I am tired of him. Which sucks cause I liked him up until 3 years ago. When the ESPN exploits the stories to this degree I begin to hate sport stories like Favre, Bonds, and the Yankees.

:soapbox:

idioteque
01-02-2009, 02:59 PM
If it isn't obvious, I'd say Usain Bolt and then the Super Bowl.

I am just more into track than swimming when it comes to gauging how great an athlete is. Swimming greatness is confined mostly to European and American athletes whose countries have enough money to build top notch facilities. Track is much more pure.

JayRedd
01-02-2009, 03:18 PM
Same one it should be for the next decade: LeBron.

Since86
01-02-2009, 04:26 PM
If it isn't obvious, I'd say Usain Bolt and then the Super Bowl.

I am just more into track than swimming when it comes to gauging how great an athlete is. Swimming greatness is confined mostly to European and American athletes whose countries have enough money to build top notch facilities. Track is much more pure.

In all honesty, there is no sport I can think of that's 'pure.' Track is just laced with steroid usage, and trainers/training facilities are extremely important. Bolt has been in training with former Olypmic athletes since he started high school and was moved by the Jamaican government to Kingston for him to train in the early 2000s.

With that said, I think he should be at the top of the list and in consideration for the best, but track is hardly pure.

Ownagedood
01-03-2009, 01:16 AM
Manning 3 MVP's ;)

Haha but I would go with Phelps.

ChicagoJ
01-07-2009, 05:17 PM
When track and field sprinters get to use strapped-on propellers, then we can compare it to the new life jackets errr... swimsuits used in swimming.

As for "purity" of track and field, I think they've done a pretty good job over the past twenty years of identifying and disqualifying the dopers. They've done so well that they have also given heavy-handed suspensions occasionally to guys that are "clean." (Butch Reynolds, for example) Clearly, during the Balco days, they had trouble because of the high-tech masking agents. But so did MLB (and probably many other sports/ governing bodies).

Michael Johnson just had a 2000 gold medal taken away because of a relay teammate's Balco-era doping.

I see nothing that tells me that track and field is doing any worse than any other sport at identifying and eliminating the cheaters. Marion Jones and cheating scumbags like her will always reappear, but that, again, is not unique to track and field. Like we say, if somebody at the world class level comes from nowhere, it probably is too good to be true.

Facilities don't matter much, now that everybody has moved off cinder. When Mondo rubber tracks were being installed back in my era, it shaved about 1/10th off all of our times vs. tartan rubber, which is a big deal but did not lead to a "100% change in world records over a 2/3 year period of time." There was a minor amount of controversy around the track in Tokyo for the '93 (?) worlds. The track was Mondo, but also harder. So it produced times that were faster by 0.05 to 0.07 seconds, but also produced a number of season-ending stress fractures. So the athletes really hated the "fast" surface because of that.

campy
01-07-2009, 07:34 PM
What about the Rays in baseball? Not that I would vote for them but it is a nice story.