PDA

View Full Version : I was wrong about the Pacers this year.

Spirit
12-31-2008, 03:52 PM
I wrote this in my blog on another site, but i'm not going to link to it, because it's from another forum and i'm not sure if linking to another forum is against the rules or not, but anyway here's my blog.

Before the year started I had really high hopes for the Pacers. So did some of the experts of some sites. SI had us making the playoffs, and so far, we're an abysmal 10-21. I don't know who to blame. We've been bad all around. The coaching hasn't been good at all. Jim O'Brien doesn't know what to do or when. As soon as a player catches fire, they get pulled. Particularly our rookie Center, Roy Hibbert. He's had two really good games so far this season (which is a pretty low amount, I know), but as soon as he starts to get confidence, he gets benched. One of those games he had five fouls at the end of the third, but he didn't play the whole fourth quarter. He had 19 points at the time, which is a lot for him. He should have played in the fourth. There is no excuse for not playing him, even though he had 5 fouls. Confidence is very important for rookies and when they are gaining it, you shouldn't take it away. Brandon Rush was benched for about two whole games because of so called "problems understanding defensive schemes". Since when does our team play defense?! You don't bench one of the best defenders you have even if they don't know the structures. Not only that, but he was benched in favor of STEPHEN GRAHAM. What the heck?! He's garbage, and is worse than Brandon ever will be on defense. Okay, now that i've vented, let's move on to something else.

Some of our struggles can be blamed on not having our possibly second best player, Mike Dunleavy. He's very important to this team. Some say he shouldn't start when he gets back, due to "bad defense". Okay sure, i'll admit, he's not a great defender. But, he is a good help defender and he knows the fundamentals of defense, like taking charges and helping in the post. He doesn't get good defensive stats, no, but if taking charges was a stat, he would be near the top of the league. Not to mention, the guy can actually shoot. Marquis Daniels (our starter, who people want to start over Dunleavy) is a pitiful shooter and only relies on layups and ugly floaters to get his points. Don't get me wrong, he's been good this season. But he isn't as good as Dunleavy and he doesn't fit this offense (chuckball) well. Bottom line, we might be better when he gets back, but he's not the main problem.

So what is the problem, you ask? Your guess is as good as mine. But, my guess is, or low post offense is pitiful. We can't do anything late unless we can hit our jumpers. Every PF/C we have, doesn't play in the post (with Roy Hibbert being the exception, but he's an inconsistent rookie). We need someone to play in the post, and we need it bad. Those kind of players aren't easy to come by, either. One suggestion I have, is to send our pick this year, and a filler (Baston or Graham), to the Knicks for David Lee, provided he would sign an extension with us (for, say, 5 years 50 million). He would fit perfect next to Hibbert in the future and can get you 15 or so points and the 10 rebounds. He isn't a great post option, but atleast he doesn't play like he is barefoot and there is nails under the rim. He can get us putbacks and do the occasional post move. It's better than anything we have right now. This probably wouldn't solve all of our problems, but it's a start.

Bottom line, the Pacers have been severely disappointing this season, and they've proved me wrong.

duke dynamite
12-31-2008, 03:54 PM
This is not really much news to me. I don't know about anyone else, but thanks for letting us know how you feel. We're in this together.

Spirit
12-31-2008, 03:58 PM
Yeah I probably have about the same opinion as other Pacers fans, but this was just kind of a vintage blog. Lol.

duke dynamite
12-31-2008, 04:09 PM
Yeah I probably have about the same opinion as other Pacers fans, but this was just kind of a vintage blog. Lol.
Kind of a morbid title...lol

Brad8888
12-31-2008, 05:13 PM
JGray,

Properly played and developed, we may well already have a David Lee type of player on the roster in Josh McRoberts. He definitely provides energy at that level, and with court time his overall athleticism may well lead him to become a scorer and rebounder of the caliber of Lee in the future. Hopefully TPTB will put some pressure on the coaching staff to give him more of a consistent chance to develop in the very near future! O'Brien himself has indicated that McRoberts is easily our most athletic big man, and hopefully O'Brien (or another coach) will finally decide to allow him to develop with playing time instead of languishing on the bench.

Spirit
12-31-2008, 07:20 PM
JGray,

Properly played and developed, we may well already have a David Lee type of player on the roster in Josh McRoberts. He definitely provides energy at that level, and with court time his overall athleticism may well lead him to become a scorer and rebounder of the caliber of Lee in the future. Hopefully TPTB will put some pressure on the coaching staff to give him more of a consistent chance to develop in the very near future! O'Brien himself has indicated that McRoberts is easily our most athletic big man, and hopefully O'Brien (or another coach) will finally decide to allow him to develop with playing time instead of languishing on the bench.You're right about that, and i'd love to see McRoberts get a chance, but he would rather be out on the perimeter most of the time on offense, and Lee is a better low post scorer. If McRoberts would play under the rim more often he may just be about like Lee, though I think Lee is a more skilled rebounder.

BRushWithDeath
01-01-2009, 10:01 PM
You're right about that, and i'd love to see McRoberts get a chance, but he would rather be out on the perimeter most of the time on offense, and Lee is a better low post scorer. If McRoberts would play under the rim more often he may just be about like Lee, though I think Lee is a more skilled rebounder.

Lee is a better rebounder and post scorer but his defense and shooting isn't as good. I think McRoberts would put up very similar numbers if they were in the same situation.