PDA

View Full Version : Pacers looking to make big trade?

Dr. Awesome
12-31-2008, 02:34 PM
http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=11086

"Indiana Pacers: The Pacers do have one big chip to cash in Jamaal Tinsley. The problem is while there are several teams that have expressed interest in Tinsley, the Pacers might have to eat a contract worse than Tinsley's and that's not where the team wants to be. Toss in a four-game losing streak and a horrid 10-21 record, and the Pacers are facing the temptation of making a bolder, bigger trade. The Pacers acknowledge that they are without their high scorer from last year in Mike Dunleavy who spent yesterday in the hospital with a nasty viral infection. His timeline for a return from knee surgery is still uncertain. As good as the Pacers have looked at times on the floor it's clear they simply do not have enough horsepower to beat quality teams, hence why the club is said to be considering a bigger bolder move, especially as the trade deadline gets closer."

Frankly, I'd believe a guy walking out of the crazy asylum saying he was abducted by aliens over Hoopsworld, especially since they said Dunleavy had knee surgery and that he was our top scorer last year, but I figured it was something to discuss.

Peck
12-31-2008, 02:46 PM

"Indiana Pacers: The Pacers do have one big chip to cash in Jamaal Tinsley. The problem is while there are several teams that have expressed interest in Tinsley, the Pacers might have to eat a contract worse than Tinsley's and that's not where the team wants to be. Toss in a four-game losing streak and a horrid 10-21 record, and the Pacers are facing the temptation of making a bolder, bigger trade. The Pacers acknowledge that they are without their high scorer from last year in Mike Dunleavy who spent yesterday in the hospital with a nasty viral infection. His timeline for a return from knee surgery is still uncertain. As good as the Pacers have looked at times on the floor it's clear they simply do not have enough horsepower to beat quality teams, hence why the club is said to be considering a bigger bolder move, especially as the trade deadline gets closer."

Frankly, I'd believe a guy walking out of the crazy asylum saying he was abducted by aliens over Hoopsworld, especially since they said Dunleavy had knee surgery and that he was our top scorer last year, but I figured it was something to discuss.

Said by who????

It has been said on here that the Pacers are looking to sign Roaming Gnome to play the two guard position to help fill the hole until Dunleavy returns.

I just said it so therefor it has been said.

Anthem
12-31-2008, 03:30 PM
No reason not to make a move.

If we could move some package of Tinsley, Quis, or Rasho for something that helps us in the future then I'm for it.

count55
12-31-2008, 03:36 PM

If we could move some package of Tinsley, Quis, or Rasho for something that helps us in the future then I'm for it.

We'd definitely have to include Tinsley, Dunleavy or Murphy in with the expirings (Quis & Rasho) to be able to do anything financially. Someone had mentioned packaging Quis & Rasho together, but that would likely have the same effect as extending their contracts at least another season, which, along with the Granger and Foster extensions, would (almost certainly) put us over the luxury tax.

DGPR
12-31-2008, 03:37 PM
Because of our poor record we now are looking to shake-up the roster even more? I must have hallucinated that Granger was our leading scorer last season. I hope we do make a trade before the deadline involving Tinsley, but if we have to take a bigger, longer contract in the process then let him rot in Atlanta. You don't rebuild a team by taking on big contracts.

Justin Tyme
12-31-2008, 04:09 PM
You don't rebuild a team by taking on big contracts.

Hum, maybe Zeke didn't get that memo. Zeke had a team salary at 130 mil at one time, not to mention having Dolan's pocketbook to be able to buy out contracts of his mistakes.:D

Justin Tyme
12-31-2008, 04:14 PM

I feel Bird is really feeling the heat, and wouldn't be a bit surprised to see it happens. I don't believe he is interested in making a mid season trade after the GS trade, but may be forced to do it if the team can't change it's losing ways.

Hicks
12-31-2008, 04:20 PM
Just tell me this..... is there any way that a mid-season trade could make this team even softer than it already is? Don't give me silly answers, I mean this seriously: Have we at least hit rock bottom in that department when you consider the pieces most likely to be coming and going?

MillerTime
12-31-2008, 04:21 PM

Ya I read that and was like WTF also. Dunleavy hasnt had surgery and but I think they meant to say Dunleavy was a top scorer last season, which he was

duke dynamite
12-31-2008, 04:22 PM
This team is rebuilding, but in the meantime, Bird and Co. still wants to win. Sometimes winning and rebuilding can go hand-in-hand. (Rare occasions.) I do feel that we have a couple of things we can put on the table for a trade. Taking on another contract doesn't always have to be big and scary, especially if you can find some talent along the line.

Be open to some options here, they could work out in our favor.

JayRedd
12-31-2008, 04:23 PM
Just tell me this..... is there any way that a mid-season trade could make this team even softer than it already is? Don't give me silly answers, I mean this seriously: Have we at least hit rock bottom in that department when you consider the pieces most likely to be coming and going?

Sloan would probably do Murphy for Okur.

duke dynamite
12-31-2008, 04:23 PM
When you mean "coming and going", do you mean a lack of consistency?

MillerTime
12-31-2008, 04:25 PM

No he wouldnt. Murphy doesnt have enough value to score Okur

duke dynamite
12-31-2008, 04:27 PM
No he wouldnt. Murphy doesnt have enough value to score Okur
Besides last week's illness, the team is getting a lot of of Troy.

I'll have to disagree with you all, there.

MillerTime
12-31-2008, 04:30 PM
Besides last week's illness, the team is getting a lot of of Troy.

I'll have to disagree with you all, there.

Besides Murphy's production, have you guys thought of his contract? Which GM is going to think Murphy's contract is worth it?

2008 - 2009: $10,126,984
2009 - 2010: $11,047,619
2010 - 2011: $11,968,254

Dont get me wrong, I would be all for trading Murphy for Okur if we could, I just dont see that happening

duke dynamite
12-31-2008, 04:32 PM
Besides Murphy's production, have you guys thought if his contract? Which GM is going to think Murphy's contract is worth it?

Dont get me wrong, I would be all for trading Murphy for Okur if we could, I just dont see that happening
I feel a little bit of redundancy here...

Either way, I'd like to keep Troy. I'm happy with his production so far (I wish he'd win us more games...cough...Lakers), but unloading his contract is not far from impossible, it's doable, but let's face it...he isn't doing bad at all.

Anthem
12-31-2008, 04:34 PM
Hmm, interesting.

Murph has 3 years on his contract, while Okur has two. I don't particularly like Okur, and Murph has been better than I ever expected, but I'd still probably do that just to get the rebuild moving faster.

Murphy's not the solution at PF and won't be traded for the guy who is, so you might as well make a move and clear minutes for McBob to develop.

JayRedd
12-31-2008, 04:37 PM
My bad. Thought Okur had three years left as well, but he's "only" got $8.5 million this year and $9.0 million next.

Talentwise, Murphy is much more useful, however. Especially to Sloan. But, yeah, the front office in Salt Lake isn't gonna take on that extra, overpriced year.

Really, though...I was just making a joke at the expense Charmin-warrior Memo Okur -- much like that Hoopsworld article is a joke at the expense of rational though.

Roaming Gnome
12-31-2008, 04:38 PM
Said by who????

It has been said on here that the Pacers are looking to sign Roaming Gnome to play the two guard position to help fill the hole until Dunleavy returns.

I just said it so therefor it has been said.

When did the Pacers need anything to do with a competitive eater?!? Then again, judging from the pancake eating contest at the Fieldhouse last night.... you never know...

grace
12-31-2008, 04:57 PM
When did the Pacers need anything to do with a competitive eater?!? Then again, judging from the pancake eating contest at the Fieldhouse last night.... you never know...

:montieth:

Does Montieth have a job any more? Take away his job. Take away his head cover. Doesn't seem quite fair.

imawhat
12-31-2008, 05:45 PM
Really, though...I was just making a joke at the expense Charmin-warrior Memo Okur -- much like that Hoopsworld article is a joke at the expense of rational though.

Could've included his teammate Korver in that deal.

I'm sure New Jersey would deal Yi.

Quis
12-31-2008, 06:51 PM
With Pietrus being out indefinitely the Magic must have interest in Quis.

LG33
12-31-2008, 06:54 PM
And what would we possibly want from Orlando? I hope this is not a redickulous thought.

Quis
12-31-2008, 06:57 PM
Anthony Johnson.

Just kidding. Their 1st rounder would be a good start. Cook (expiring) and Reddick would work as salary filler.

Justin Tyme
12-31-2008, 07:12 PM
Aren't trades suppose to be discussed in the trade forum or has that been changed?

LG33
12-31-2008, 07:17 PM
Cool your jets, we just talking.

vnzla81
12-31-2008, 07:27 PM
why some people get mad when we talk about trades? what is the big deal?:confused: don't tell me that is in the rules

vnzla81
12-31-2008, 07:30 PM
I hope they make a trade to get draft picks and salary cap and maybe one or two projects

Justin Tyme
12-31-2008, 07:44 PM
Cool your jets, we just talking.

I just asked a question. Either suggesting trades of X player for Y player is allowable outside the trade forum or it's not. Why are you getting your undies in such a bunch, b/c I asked for clarification?

Dr. Awesome
12-31-2008, 07:48 PM
Ya I read that and was like WTF also. Dunleavy hasnt had surgery and but I think they meant to say Dunleavy was a top scorer last season, which he was

No he wasn't, Granger was at like 19.6 and Dunleavy at 19.1. I suppose if you discount the games Granger missed then you'd end up with Dunleavy, but he was't our top scorer, just healthier.

Anthem
12-31-2008, 07:59 PM
Aren't trades suppose to be discussed in the trade forum or has that been changed?
Kinda. The trade forum is for trade proposals, but we tend to keep articles (and discussion of articles) in this forum.

ChicagoJ
12-31-2008, 08:04 PM
I'd like to know how anybody not employed by the Pacers knows or does not know if Dunleavy has had knee surgery. Just because nothing was announced does not mean nothing was done.

For instance, when the Steelers placed Marvel Smith on IR last week, they announced for the first time that he had back surgery about six weeks ago. When they determined his back wouldn't heal sufficiently for the playoffs, they finally made they move.

The don't actually have to tell us all the medical details.

Anthem
12-31-2008, 08:06 PM
I'd like to know how anybody not employed by the Pacers knows or does not know if Dunleavy has had knee surgery. Just because nothing was announced does not mean nothing was done.

For instance, when the Steelers placed Marvel Smith on IR last week, they announced for the first time that he had back surgery about six weeks ago. When they determined his back wouldn't heal sufficiently for the playoffs, they finally made they move.

The don't actually have to tell us all the medical details.
Well, I'm fairly certain that one of the article about a month ago said that Dun had decided not to have surgery if at all possible... I'll look it up.

EDIT: This was the situation as of November 6:

Dunleavy said there hasn't been any talk about surgery.

"We don't prefer to go down that road," he said. "Maybe later on it's something you explore, but right now we feel like that's not the answer."

http://www.indystar.com/article/20081106/SPORTS04/811060447/1088/SPORTS04

Wells reiterated that position on November 24, not too long before he started doing on-court drills again. I don't think there's time for him to have a change of heart, have the surgery, and get back on the (practice) court in that amount of time. I think you can say with a high degree of certainty that he has not had surgery.

CableKC
12-31-2008, 08:11 PM
As Hicks asked, who within the Organization is said to be looking to make a bold move?

This is all speculation and worst of all...it's speculation from HoopsWorld.

CableKC
12-31-2008, 08:17 PM
I hope they make a trade to get draft picks and salary cap and maybe one or two projects
I doubt that happens.....nobody is going to want Dunleavy's, Murphy's or Tinsley's contract since 2/3 of the teams in the league are making moves to accomodate the 2010-2011 FA Sweepstakes.

if there were any trade, we would be doing the opposite. We would likely send out our Expiring Contracts ( Rasho, Marquis, Baston, etc. ) while trying to get back ( hopefully ) some quality players that fits our team needs ( as in getting the much needed Low-Post Scorer/Defender ) that has a Contract that doesn't expire until AFTER the 2010-2011 season.

Spirit
12-31-2008, 08:22 PM
I would love for us to make a big trade, provided Dunleavy wasn't included.

xtacy
12-31-2008, 08:49 PM
i would like to see a trade sending quis,baston and if possible jt of course in exchange for draft picks and young talents.

Justin Tyme
12-31-2008, 08:53 PM
Kinda. The trade forum is for trade proposals, but we tend to keep articles (and discussion of articles) in this forum.

My understanding the trade page/forum was for trades. That understanding was re-enforced yesterday when MT posted a trade in the David Lee thread (post #85) where an admin, Peck, in post #86 suggested moving posts like this to the trade page.

This is why I asked for clarification.

Anthem
12-31-2008, 08:58 PM
MT posted a trade in the David Lee thread
Right. The trade thread is for discussing stuff we're making up, but if a trade is suggested in the media then it can be discussed here.

But right now all of the admins are at NY parties... so while the cat's away, go ahead nad have a ball. :devil:

NashvilleKat
12-31-2008, 11:23 PM
If we traded for a power forward capable of pulling down 12-16 rebounds a night and consistently scoring 12-18 points, we'd all be celebrating. So what's the deal with all the negative talk about Murphy? He's a better rebounder than Foster and a much better scorer. Granted, he's not a great defender, but to me his rebounding is among the best in the league and compensates for his slow defensive skills.

Pacersfan46
01-01-2009, 12:50 AM
A big move? For what exactly?

I see this as a possibility if we're near the .500 mark and wanting to secure a playoff spot, or something. At this point though, it just makes no sense. It would be like trading for the sake of trading. If we start winning close games, and get near .500 at the All Star break, I say possibly.

Although I can think of one person here who would be in love with the idea of trading for the sake of trading ....

-- Steve --

Peck
01-01-2009, 02:42 AM
My understanding the trade page/forum was for trades. That understanding was re-enforced yesterday when MT posted a trade in the David Lee thread (post #85) where an admin, Peck, in post #86 suggested moving posts like this to the trade page.

This is why I asked for clarification.

Discussion of articles from outside sources, even ones that are not credible, are no problem on this board as long as the rules of posting the information is followed.

There is a differance between talking about trades in general vs. bringing up trades to talk about.

As an example

A. I just talked with a friend who has a friend who is a roomate of a person who meets with Travis Diener once a week and he said that Travis was overheard telling the waiter that he would like to trade his side salad for french fries.

vs.

B.

I propose that we trade Travis Diener's side salad for french fries. It breaks down like this.

Outgoing: Side Salad $1.22

Incoming: French Fries $3.25

This then would be followed up with countless posts about people talking about the value of the salad vs. the fries. Then you would all be lectured by Uncle Buck about how all of these trades are pure speculation. Then I would be tempted to say that we would never have to look for these fries if we would not have traded our baked potato away years ago, to which Anthem would complain that would never have gotten to eat the pie with the potato anyway. Then Seth would complain that we allowed outside forces to make us get rid of the tobasco sauce and that while he is not a fan of tobasco sauce he felt that it was better than the sour cream and dill pickle that we got in return, both of which cost us to much money. To which Count55 would put a wet blanket on the entire proceding by explaining that the salad and the fries do not match up salary cap wise.

At the end of the day we kind of use our judgement, right or wrong, when it comes to these types of posts. I do not consider the post that started this entire thread a trade proposal.

Sorry if that does not explain it any better for you.

Trader Joe
01-01-2009, 02:45 AM
What if we get a chance to biggie size the fries for like 69cents or something like that?

MillerTime
01-01-2009, 05:38 AM
With Pietrus being out indefinitely the Magic must have interest in Quis.

and what do we want back from them? They dont a PF/C available that we want (dont bother mentioning Dwight...I said 'available')

Spirit
01-01-2009, 06:00 AM
Discussion of articles from outside sources, even ones that are not credible, are no problem on this board as long as the rules of posting the information is followed.

There is a differance between talking about trades in general vs. bringing up trades to talk about.

As an example

A. I just talked with a friend who has a friend who is a roomate of a person who meets with Travis Diener once a week and he said that Travis was overheard telling the waiter that he would like to trade his side salad for french fries.

vs.

B.

I propose that we trade Travis Diener's side salad for french fries. It breaks down like this.

Outgoing: Side Salad $1.22

Incoming: French Fries $3.25

This then would be followed up with countless posts about people talking about the value of the salad vs. the fries. Then you would all be lectured by Uncle Buck about how all of these trades are pure speculation. Then I would be tempted to say that we would never have to look for these fries if we would not have traded our baked potato away years ago, to which Anthem would complain that would never have gotten to eat the pie with the potato anyway. Then Seth would complain that we allowed outside forces to make us get rid of the tobasco sauce and that while he is not a fan of tobasco sauce he felt that it was better than the sour cream and dill pickle that we got in return, both of which cost us to much money. To which Count55 would put a wet blanket on the entire proceding by explaining that the salad and the fries do not match up salary cap wise.

At the end of the day we kind of use our judgement, right or wrong, when it comes to these types of posts. I do not consider the post that started this entire thread a trade proposal.

Sorry if that does not explain it any better for you.
Post of the year :laugh:

ABADays
01-01-2009, 11:47 AM
A big move? For what exactly?

I see this as a possibility if we're near the .500 mark and wanting to secure a playoff spot, or something. At this point though, it just makes no sense. It would be like trading for the sake of trading. If we start winning close games, and get near .500 at the All Star break, I say possibly.

Although I can think of one person here who would be in love with the idea of trading for the sake of trading ....

-- Steve --

I would have to agree here. Despite the record I hope there isn't that much feeling of panic or abandoning the rebuilding process. Most everyone seemed to be happy with the direction the team was going at the beginning of the year and I don't think we could be that far off target.

This team has had to deal with a lot of injury and illness issues not the least being Dunleavy. I think we should stay the course. Obviously we aren't going to make the playoffs so let's just sit back and see how it shakes out. If it results in a lottery pick so be it.

Jonathan
01-01-2009, 01:30 PM
Hoopsworld does not know anything. Big Trades invole star players or draft picks. We are not giving away our first rounder and do not have the talent to pick up a superstar. If T MAC is available than work something ,outside of that name one superstar on the block!

vnzla81
01-01-2009, 02:18 PM
Hoopsworld does not know anything. Big Trades invole star players or draft picks. We are not giving away our first rounder and do not have the talent to pick up a superstar. If T MAC is available than work something ,outside of that name one superstar on the block!

the pacers don't have the pieces or salary cap to land a super star, even if they had a chance to get Tmac I would have to pass on him, he is always hurt and he never plays hard, I rather see the pacers sucking and getting a high draft pick than bringing a player that is only going to play 40games a year.

Kstat
01-01-2009, 02:55 PM
The only way the Pacers are going to make a "big trade" is if they deal their one big piece, Granger.

Everything else is just shifting deck chairs.

MillerTime
01-01-2009, 03:10 PM
the pacers don't have the pieces or salary cap to land a super star, even if they had a chance to get Tmac I would have to pass on him, he is always hurt and he never plays hard, I rather see the pacers sucking and getting a high draft pick than bringing a player that is only going to play 40games a year.

I would hate him also. He too injured. The Pacers have dealt with too many injured players that they rely on (ie. JO and JT)

imawhat
01-01-2009, 03:56 PM

Is Troy Murphy sour cream or the dill pickle?

CableKC
01-01-2009, 04:08 PM
Unless some no-brainer trade comes along, I reaaly hope that Bird resists the temptation to not do what the Warriors FO has done.....panic moves to shore up a team with alot of talent but isn't doing very well due to injuries to key players. The end result? a team that hasn't built any chemistry is just a hodge-podge of GFs that can run in a up-tempo offense but can't rebound since their Starting PF is nothing more then a SF.

We have injuries to key players, let's wait until we see how the healthy roster does with JO'Bs system before we pull the trigger on some trade that hurts us for the near future.

Anthem
01-01-2009, 04:24 PM
This then would be followed up with countless posts about people talking about the value of the salad vs. the fries. Then you would all be lectured by Uncle Buck about how all of these trades are pure speculation. Then I would be tempted to say that we would never have to look for these fries if we would not have traded our baked potato away years ago, to which Anthem would complain that would never have gotten to eat the pie with the potato anyway. Then Seth would complain that we allowed outside forces to make us get rid of the Tabasco sauce and that while he is not a fan of Tabasco sauce he felt that it was better than the sour cream and dill pickle that we got in return, both of which cost us to much money. To which Count55 would put a wet blanket on the entire proceeding by explaining that the salad and the fries do not match up salary cap wise.
:bowdown:

Dr. Awesome
01-01-2009, 05:01 PM
Apparently Adam Morrison is available. I wouldn't want him, but I'd be willing to bet Bird has a huge man crush on him.

I would love Raymond Felton who also is apparently available. I'm not sure we have enough to package, but Jarrett Jack is a Larry Brown type player and a perfect compliment to DJ Augustin. He could be a starting piece.

Jonathan
01-01-2009, 05:06 PM
Interesting you are bringing up Morrison & Felton. I might have to work something via trade thread 2 morrow.

MrSparko
01-01-2009, 05:06 PM
Is Troy Murphy sour cream or the dill pickle?

The dill pickle obviously.

Dr. Awesome
01-01-2009, 05:11 PM
Interesting you are bringing up Morrison & Felton. I might have to work something via trade thread 2 morrow.

Daniels and Jack for Felton and Morrison works. Not sure thats enough for the Bobcats, but both Daniels and Jack are Larry Brown type players. Problem is, it might put us into lux tax next year, assuming we resign Felton.

Tom White
01-01-2009, 07:29 PM
Besides Murphy's production, have you guys thought of his contract? Which GM is going to think Murphy's contract is worth it?

What are the contracts of other players in the league averaging a double-double?

Anthem
01-01-2009, 08:38 PM
What are the contracts of other players in the league averaging a double-double?
An interesting question. NBA.com lists only 11 guys averaging double-figure rebounds, and all of them are also averaging double-figure points.

Dude (points, rebounds) - contract/years
Dwight Howard (19.7, 13.8) - $14/5
Marcus Camby (11.7, 12.9) - $10/2
Andris Biedrins (14.1, 11.9) - $9/6
Carlos Boozer (20.5, 11.7) - $11.5/2
Troy Murphy (11.3, 11.5) - $10/3
Emeka Okafor (13.9, 11.2) - $9.5/6
Zach Randolph (22.0, 11.0) - $14.6/3
David Lee (14.4, 10.9) - $1.7/2
Andrew Bogut (11.8, 10.7) - $10/6
Al Jefferson (22.6, 10.3) - $11/5
Tim Duncan (20.7, 10.3) - $20.5/4

Randolph/Howard/Duncan/Jefferson/Boozer are all 20/10 guys, so strike them from your calculations. Lee is on a rookie contract, of course, so his is out of kilter. Otherwise, pretty consistent. Murph is paid pretty similarly (on a per year basis, at least) with Marcus Camby, Andrew Bogut, Emeka Okafor, and Andris Biendrins.

ChicagoJ
01-01-2009, 11:52 PM
An interesting question. NBA.com lists only 11 guys averaging double-figure rebounds, and all of them are also averaging double-figure rebounds.

Really?

You don't say???

Who would have ever thought that the 11 guys averaging double figure rebounds would all average double figure rebounds.

:devil: :tongue:

Yes I know you were trying to say "points" in there somewhere...

Naptown_Seth
01-02-2009, 12:42 AM
One thing not on the double-double list is the ability to create your own shot, the ability to intimidate at the rim, the ability to defend your position, and the ability to clean the offensive glass as well as you pick up defensive scraps.

The fact that you could get Biedrins or Okafur for the price tag of Murphy only shows that Troy is in fact somewhat overpaid, and moreso considering that this is his peak while Biedrins and Okafur are still young. Camby is even more ridiculous with his massively superior defensive skills, the only reason he doesn't make more is because of his injury history.

To me that list looks like Troy and Bogut and then a bunch of fairly paid or under paid players. But having said that I do agree that Troy has been one of the main positives for the Pacers and in the spirit of Anthem (I think) you run with what you've got regardless of contracts and Troy is probably the 4th best guy on the team right now (DG, Quis, Foster).

Anthem
01-02-2009, 12:51 AM
Really?

You don't say???

Who would have ever thought that the 11 guys averaging double figure rebounds would all average double figure rebounds.

:devil: :tongue:

Yes I know you were trying to say "points" in there somewhere...

:dougchris