PDA

View Full Version : The Pacer's shooting guard position

Kid Minneapolis
06-23-2004, 02:17 PM
For all the talk of moving out some players to acquire a SG (TMac, Kobe, Allen, etc...), and while I'd love to particularly see TMac in a Pacer jersey, I know that probably isn't going to happen. Indiana's history of making no blockbuster trades/moves all but secures that idea, and when I say blockbuster, I don't mean Brad Miller/Artest for Jalen/Best.

But this time, I think there's something wrong with the "common thought". Common thought is we need to move some of our glut of forwards for a SG... I think we *have* a sleeper SG already on the team!

Fred Jones. This is the guy who's impressed me the most over the past half a season... every time he stepped on the court, I sat upright and watched in anticipation of learning more about his game. Moreso not for what the player he is already, but what I think he can become. I'm not even sure Fred knows it yet... he seems to be a reluctant dominator.

Right now he does what he's told --- work in the system, flow with the offense, stick with the game-plan --- basically restrict himself! He's playing behind none other than one of the game's all-time greatest SGs in history... so I kind of attribute that to his slow ascension to playing-time.

The guy has no athletic hinderance whatsoever. He isn't oft-injured. He's smart. He gets back-up playing time to a future HOFer. When Reggie steps down from a starting position, we won't be in a bad spot. It's like Drew Bledsoe moving out to make room for Tom Brady.

He has the fire in him that I rarely see --- that fire that instead of being detrimental to his focus and concentration, rather it makes him focus and concentrate harder and perform on a higher level. This is Reggie Miller-esque. I can speak for myself and a large percentage of players out there --- when someone gets in your head or pisses you off hardcore, you start to make bad decisions, concentration is lost, etc... when Reggie Miller gets pissed off, the opposite happens... it's like he goes into a 7th gear, and becomes uncannily clairvoyant.

Good ol' low-key Jones... he just fits into the system, does what he's told, flows within the offense, and sets up shots for others... rarely being taught to do what *he* wants to do with the ball, nor has he developed the confidence yet. But that one flash of a preview that he gaves us against Detroit, in Detroit, with the Pacers down 10+ in the 4th quarter of an extremely brutal conference final series and Carlisle struggling to find anything that worked right against that staunch Detroit defense --- put in Jones just hoping for a miracle.

And one of those heckling fans decided he wanted to jaw with Jones and that's when I saw the fire. In a game in which we struggled to force that ball through the hoop, Jones single-handedly D's up Hunter, makes a spectacular shoestring steal, and decides he's taking matters into his own hands... with Rip Hamilton draping him all the way down the court in a high-speed race, shaking him free then taking it to the rack with none other than Big Ben Wallace being too slow to even think about getting to it... dunks it right in his grill in front of a very hostile crowd. It brought about an almost deafening hush and pain amongst the crowd.... as if that single dagger had been put right into their gut and twisted.

Fred gets up and goes down the court pointing that finger at a fan who you know wasn't enjoying the taste of his foot.

That's fire. That was sheer ability. No one schools the entire Detroit defense in a single play like that. It was all in context... this wasn't a regular season game against the lowly Celtics... this was against the toughest D in perhaps NBA history, and on the road in a playoff atmosphere in a game that Detroit had dominated. The Detroit D had the entire court to slow him down and they had the capability to do it... they couldn't. The Pacers team and bench suddenly oozed confidence. That one play fired a lackluster, lost team into a come-back that kept Detroit extremely uncomfortable until the final secs.

Man, I want Fred Jones to show me what the hell he's really capable of. We got a great team, and we got all kinds of "promise" and talent but something about Jones tells me if the planets align right... this guy will be unbelievable.

This is what I hope for our SG position. Not sure how it'll happen, because it still feels weird putting Reggie on the bench... and it still doesn't free up our logjam at forward...

Hicks
06-23-2004, 02:41 PM
:nod:

http://www.pacersdigest.com/fredjones3000.wmv

SkipperZ
06-23-2004, 02:45 PM
freddie is a nice player. hes a good player. but the difference between him and some of the guys that we supposedly have a chance of getting is enormous.

freddie is short for the sg position, and not a good enough shooter for me (and i think the pacers management) to be comfortable with him starting next year, let alone being our sg of the future.

i think he's a great backup. but if we need to include him in a deal o get a tmac or ray allen or paul pierce or whoever else gets tossed around, its no big loss.

Suaveness
06-23-2004, 02:52 PM
DAMN STRAIGHT. DAMN STRAIGHT. DAMN ****ING STRAIGHT.

Just look at my sig. I think he should start.

Hicks
06-23-2004, 03:09 PM
Fred Jones can become a great combo guard off the bench. But he should never be our starting shooting guard if we have any aspirations of being a succesful team.

Why? His height?

Unclebuck
06-23-2004, 03:11 PM
DAMN STRAIGHT. DAMN STRAIGHT. DAMN ****ing STRAIGHT.

For a second there I thought you had changed your name to KM

zxc
06-23-2004, 03:14 PM
Yeah, I don't ever want Jones to be our starter either. Height is definitely the main problem. Maybe if we had a bigger PG or something it would work but we don't. Guy was getting posting up with ease by Rip Hamilton. And while his shot improved over the course of the season don't think he will ever be reliable enough to be a #1 option from the outside. He will be a nice guy to have off the bench at times but I really hope we can get a quality starter from elsewhere.

Booger
06-23-2004, 03:19 PM
Based on a pure guess by me, I think Bird/Walsh may take a risk on Luke Jackson as being our SG of the future . . . should the opportunity present itself.

As I said in another thread, I don't think the Pacers are smokescreening. I think we'll move up tomorrow night to get him by moving Al, if a reasonable trade presents itself.

Suaveness
06-23-2004, 03:44 PM

KM?

Hicks
06-23-2004, 03:53 PM
Maybe if we had a bigger PG or something it would work but we don't.

:laugh: Unless we draft Livingston. Then we'd have a 6'7" PG. Let he and Freddy swap assignments on D. :)

Kid Minneapolis
06-23-2004, 04:51 PM

KM?

Yea. KM. :D

Natston
06-23-2004, 04:57 PM
Maybe if we had a bigger PG or something it would work but we don't.

:laugh: Unless we draft Livingston. Then we'd have a 6'7" PG. Let he and Freddy swap assignments on D. :)

Thats what I was thinking when I first saw that we are looking at Livingston... :o

Suaveness
06-23-2004, 04:59 PM

KM?

Yea. KM. :D

Haha ok ok. :laugh: