PDA

View Full Version : Direct TV & The Pacers

esabyrn333
12-29-2008, 08:06 PM
I am getting stationed in Rapid City SD ( Air Force) and am trying to decided between cable and DirectTV. I have a few questions I figure someone on here would be able to help me with.

I know you can't get local channels in that area but are you able to get the abc,nbc,cbs,fox east coast and west coast feeds when they say local channels are not avalible in that area.

My other question is with the sports package it says you get all of these channels that show certian nba teams games, like FSindiana. Do they play the nba games or do they black them out. Here in Biloxi I get FSSouth they show allot of the Hawks games but they always black them out. I have cable though and don't know if that is the case with DirectTV.

Next worry is if I get Direct TV I will have to go to DSL I guess. Does anyone have it? Is it slower than my Cable modem.

I just don't think I can handle having cable in a place that shows no NBA games and on sunday all the show are the Vikings, Chiefs and Bronco games. I gotta have my Colts and the Idea of getting to see quite a few pacer games just makes me get choked up.

Hicks
12-29-2008, 08:28 PM
I would think FSN Indiana would not be blacked out for you since you war (way) out of market.

esabyrn333
12-29-2008, 08:32 PM
I would think FSN Indiana would not be blacked out for you since you war (way) out of market.

My cable company down here (Biloxi) said you had to be in the market to get the games. But then agian they said NFL network was not on any cable company. Small city with a cablecompany with no compition.

They don't even play the Hornet games down here and we are like 45 miles for the big easy.

Spirit
12-29-2008, 08:38 PM
Cable is way better than DirectTV believe me. DirectTV is terrible in bad weather, and is in and out constantly (for us atleast). We had it for about a year at our old house and hated it. I'd stick with cable, for that reason alone.

CableKC
12-29-2008, 08:54 PM
I am getting stationed in Rapid City SD ( Air Force) and am trying to decided between cable and DirectTV. I have a few questions I figure someone on here would be able to help me with.

I know you can't get local channels in that area but are you able to get the abc,nbc,cbs,fox east coast and west coast feeds when they say local channels are not avalible in that area.

My other question is with the sports package it says you get all of these channels that show certian nba teams games, like FSindiana. Do they play the nba games or do they black them out. Here in Biloxi I get FSSouth they show allot of the Hawks games but they always black them out. I have cable though and don't know if that is the case with DirectTV.
Maybe I'm reading this wrong ( only cuz I tend to intepret things differently ) ....but are you asking if you get Direct TV in South Dakota that you're hoping to get FSIndiana ( Local Fox Sports channel for Indy ) instead of FSSouth for Biloxi?

grace
12-29-2008, 08:57 PM
You can get local stations with DirecTv. If you want to pay extra you can get all the sports stations.

I love my DirecTv, but it is very unpredictable during bad weather. Rain is the worst.

Hicks
12-29-2008, 09:12 PM
Why does my satellite radio not seem to care if it's raining or not, but when I used to have a Dish it could mess with things? Is it because with the Dish it's trying to receive a lot more information because it's audio and video?

Bball
12-29-2008, 09:19 PM
If I was to make an educated guess I'd say NBA games will be blacked out. There may be a FSN local to your area and a team that won't be (although off the top of my head I can't think of a team within 100mi to you) but it won't be the Pacers.

As for rain fade for dishes... ya it happens but it is far less frequent than what some people make it out to be. I have a feeling that those that experience it with every rain shower have a dish that is not spot on aimed (there's little margin for error and just a little tweak can make a big difference) or else they don't have a clear line of sight and already have limbs or other things partially blocking the dish's view of the satellite. The other thing is the possibility the dish isn't securely mounted and the wind that accompanies many storms might be a factor (constantly blowing the dish off target). Or all those things combined.

That all said, distance to the satellite matters too... closer to the bird you get a stronger signal. I'm not sure how much difference there'd be between me and the satellite and you and the satellite to tell you if that would be a significant factor.

Cable IMHO is POTENTIALLY a superior product. Satellite tends to waste (IMHO) a lot of their already limited bandwidth (tho MPEG4 helps with that). "Digital" is really almost a meaningless buzzword because what matters is the compression. But digital cable has the same issue but can handle more bandwidth to begin with.

Cable also has the benefit of offering you internet services. You're going to be hard-pressed to match cable's potential speed offering with DSL although that doesn't mean you might not find DSL "fast enough".

Satellite ISP sucks IMHO. At least Hughesnet. It's better than dialup (sorta) if that's your only option but otherwise stay far away. They have a draconian FAP that has no margin of error and treats a serial abuser and a 1 time abuser the exact same. It is overpriced, especially when you consider that FAP. The normal plan 'allows' only 200M in ANY 24hour period. That doesn't mean you can download a 100M file on Thursday and two 50M files on Friday... The clock is simply within ANY 24 hour period so if 24 hours has not passed since you dl'd that 100M file, you don't want to DL those 2 50M files until it has. You also need to turn auto-updates OFF so that you don't get burned with a large Windows update. Exceed the FAP and for all intents and purposes Hughesnet shuts off your internet for 24 hours. You'll be able to connect but you'll be at sub-dialup speeds. A 14.4 modem seems fast in comparison while you're in the penalty box.

That is my 'anti-Hughesnet' ad of the day.

Lastly, programming.... Does the cable company offer league pass? If not then your decision just got easier if you want to see Pacer games. And if the Colts factor in to, then Directv (and Sunday Ticket) just landed on the top of the pile for you.

Noodle
12-29-2008, 09:34 PM
Why does my satellite radio not seem to care if it's raining or not, but when I used to have a Dish it could mess with things? Is it because with the Dish it's trying to receive a lot more information because it's audio and video?

Satellite TV dishes must convert a frequency 12.2 - 12.9 Ghz into a frequency of 250 - 2250 Mhz. If you have HD it must decompress the information too. Most systems are very resilient. If you experience a lot rain fade, there is more than likely something wrong.

Also, for the thread maker. You can't use FSN Indiana out there for Pacers games, as soon as the game comes on it will blackout. You will need NBA League Pass to watch Pacers games, FCC regulations.

Bball
12-29-2008, 09:34 PM
Hicks,
I'll take a wild-a$$ guess but I've not looked into it at all. My guess is the 'radio' satellites (or transponders on the satellites they use) are higher powered (than TV) so the antenna itself isn't nearly the factor it is with satellite tv (where the gain of the antenna is the difference in getting any signal at all).

They could also use repeaters in metro areas where skyscrapers and the like might block signal. AFAIK line of sight is still important either way (tv or radio) but obviously a higher power satellite would be more forgiving of small obstacle. I'm not sure how prevalent repeaters would be... but if you have the money for the satellite then I suppose repeaters would be like quarters from under the couch cushions to a company.

Noodle
12-29-2008, 09:39 PM
That all said, distance to the satellite matters too... closer to the bird you get a stronger signal. I'm not sure how much difference there'd be between me and the satellite and you and the satellite to tell you if that would be a significant factor.

The Satellite is 19,000 miles away above the equator. I seriously doubt your location plays any significant role.

esabyrn333
12-29-2008, 09:53 PM
Maybe I'm reading this wrong ( only cuz I tend to intepret things differently ) ....but are you asking if you get Direct TV in South Dakota that you're hoping to get FSIndiana ( Local Fox Sports channel for Indy ) instead of FSSouth for Biloxi?

I know they don't have FS Indiana. I am just wondering if they black out the FS regional channels they get. FSSout in Biloxi always have the Hawks games listed like they will come on but instead they get blacked out due to (I am guessing) the fact we are not in the local market.

The sports package they have a list of channels like MSG network shows Knicks games, YES shows Nets games, NESN shows Celtic's games, the list keeps going on. But If I am reading it right I would get almost every teams Version of FSN Indiana. I am wondering if anyone has the Sports package for Direct TV. If the games are shown it seems like a dream come true. I should get a great deal of Pacers games when they play all of these other teams. Plus I get NBA TV. Thats not an option with the local cable company in the area.

For the football issue if I got an east & west cost feed for ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox. I would have a great shot at seeing most all of the colts games without fighting with my wife to get direct Ticket.

esabyrn333
12-29-2008, 09:56 PM
Also, for the thread maker. You can't use FSN Indiana out there for Pacers games, as soon as the game comes on it will blackout. You will need NBA League Pass to watch Pacers games, FCC regulations.

So your saying FCC regulations requires all FSN channel to black out the games. Do you know if this goes for YES, MSG, NESN, ECT....

I know I get alot of the bulls games down south due to WGN.

Bball
12-29-2008, 10:00 PM
The Satellite is 19,000 miles away above the equator. I seriously doubt your location plays any significant role.

A satellite has a footprint (and I believe the distance above the equator is 22,300 miles). If you're in the center of the footprint then there's little difference but if you're at the edge of the footprint then there's a difference. I don't know the northern reach of Directv's birds. Obviously, they do reach into Canada (since back in the day many Canadians had ways of getting US Directv) but the signal is weaker by that point. By the same token, Canadian satellites do have some signal in Indiana but it is weaker than Directv or Dish's birds.

Someone at the edge of a footprint would experience more rainfade issues than someone in the sweetspot of the satellite's beam.

Left unsaid in all of this is that the size of the dish does matter. A larger dish would minimize rainfade issues even more. But Directv now has the custom dishes so just getting a larger dish from some outside manufacturer isn't the easy option it once was. A larger dish = more antenna gain. But I still go back to the point that a well secured, properly aimed, clear line of sight, standard dish should do fairly well against rain fade within the footprint of a satellite.

I only experience rainfade on a major downpour.... or the leading edge of it. Showers are no problem.

Bball
12-29-2008, 10:04 PM
WGN must have some grandfathered agreement as compared to the sport networks. I'm 99.9% sure they will all blackout games. The ones I get do.

-Bball

esabyrn333
12-29-2008, 10:06 PM
Is league pass only on the computer or can you get it for your TV also kinda like direct ticket. does anyone know how much it is off of the top of there heads

Bball
12-29-2008, 10:11 PM

I found this. It looks like my guess was pretty close:
http://satelliteradio.digitalinsurrection.com/siriusradio/sirius_radio.php

Hicks
12-29-2008, 10:24 PM
Is league pass only on the computer or can you get it for your TV also kinda like direct ticket. does anyone know how much it is off of the top of there heads

Leagues Pass is just now a computer thing, before and currently it's a TV thing. You get all out of market games for all teams. It's $189 this time of year, $99 by January I think. You will also get NBATV (well, this is almost always the case, but I've heard of some cable companies not doing this right).

grace
12-29-2008, 10:46 PM
WGN must have some grandfathered agreement as compared to the sport networks. I'm 99.9% sure they will all blackout games. The ones I get do.

-Bball

Games have to be on the national WGN for them to be shown. If it's the local WGN you have to be in Chicago to be able to see the games.

Bball
12-29-2008, 10:53 PM
Covering all bases:
Besides the reasons I have listed for rainfade there is also the issue of the feed cable. If you're cable (dish to receiver) is not of the proper type (RG6) and/or is a long run, that can also degrade the signal. ...which means a weaker signal is already reaching your receiver. Add in some rain to further degrade the signal and you have rainfade. If all things were up to snuff that rain might not have been enough to matter, but with the signal already degraded it could be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

And a person could have a little of ALL of the scenarios I've laid out going on conspiring against you and rain.

joew8302
12-29-2008, 11:38 PM
I currently live in South Carolina and have Direct TV along with NBA league pass. I have never had a problem watching any Pacer games (well, I have, but not due to their not being a broadcast!) If I can offer you any more advice or assistance please let me know.

CableKC
12-29-2008, 11:45 PM
I know they don't have FS Indiana. I am just wondering if they black out the FS regional channels they get. FSSout in Biloxi always have the Hawks games listed like they will come on but instead they get blacked out due to (I am guessing) the fact we are not in the local market.

The sports package they have a list of channels like MSG network shows Knicks games, YES shows Nets games, NESN shows Celtic's games, the list keeps going on. But If I am reading it right I would get almost every teams Version of FSN Indiana. I am wondering if anyone has the Sports package for Direct TV. If the games are shown it seems like a dream come true. I should get a great deal of Pacers games when they play all of these other teams. Plus I get NBA TV. Thats not an option with the local cable company in the area.

For the football issue if I got an east & west cost feed for ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox. I would have a great shot at seeing most all of the colts games without fighting with my wife to get direct Ticket.
Got it....see, I told you I interpret things differently ;). When I initially got DirectTV and was looking to the Sports Package, I thought that I could somehow get FSIndiana ( or the equivelant channel 3 years ago ) here in the SF Bay Area. That's what I thought you were mentioning. :laugh:

Noodle
12-29-2008, 11:58 PM
Don't worry about where you live. In the United States, except Alaska, distance from the satellite is irrelevant. High powered satellite signals have the ability to travel 140000 kilometers. The curve in the Earth is what blocks the signal from going further than Canada, but it's a US product so forget about it.

Yes, satellite has rain issues. The key is to have equipment that passes the frequency of up to 2250 Mhz. Most professionals use 3 ghz connectors and cables. If you are using either Dish Network or Directv's basic setup, the alignment can be off by 3 degrees and still work perfectly because of the high powered satellite transmission. Line of site is important too. Clear shot is preferred. No miracle shots through trees. You need a least 5 degrees of clearance for the signal to pass cleanly.

If you want HD. Those satellites are medium powered and are linear. Linear basically means the dish must be tilted perfectly to acquire a signal. Plus, the actual beam is significantly smaller. 1 degree can cause lose of signal. Tuning is very important. HD is also more likely to fade in a storm.

I have Directv. In this year alone, I estimate that I have lost 1 hour of signal at max. Cable systems lose signal due to rain too. Don't be fooled, cable is satellite. People lose signal just as often and don't realize this is why. At least with satellite, you know why it's happening.

Also, WGN, TBS, YES, etc. are national networks. FSN Indiana, for example, is a regional channel. National channels don't comply blackout rules, unless you live in those respective areas.

Bball
12-30-2008, 12:38 AM
Doesn't cable still use C-band? Rainfade is a non-issue on C-band. Broken cables from limbs falling on them (and other similar problems) is cable's weather issue.

Regardless... Cable front end is larger dishes so you're more likely to lose signal from a snow filled dish than rainfade on a cable system.

Noodle
12-30-2008, 02:00 AM
Yes, cable systems do use C-band satellite which have a larger wavelength. Because of the larger wavelength rain fade is less likely. I'm very astonished by your knowledge in fact.

The one thing you must consider is decibel loss. In satellite systems, decibel loss is hardly a factor at all, unless you run dish feed more than 200 ft because the receiver cannot power the dish well from that distance. Cable nothing but a huge network of wiring. Decibel loss is a problem and it becomes more evident during rainstorms.

Really, satellite and cable are very equal in quality as a finished product. Most of these arguments are opinion only. I will admit I'm a trainer for Directv technicians, and regretfully admit that the problem with most bad Directv experiences is terrible work quality performed by poor technicians or self installation. There isn't much to do wrong as a cable technician that would effect quality.

Bball
12-30-2008, 02:27 AM
Y I will admit I'm a trainer for Directv technicians, and regretfully admit that the problem with most bad Directv experiences is terrible work quality performed by poor technicians or self installation. There isn't much to do wrong as a cable technician that would effect quality.

I thought maybe you might be an installer so I didn't want to say what you just said for fear of insulting you. Just because a system was 'professionally installed' doesn't mean it was 'optimally' installed. And as the crow flies a dish and receiver might be less than 200' apart but how did the cable get ran (across roof, thru attic, down wall, under floor, etc)? And did it get cut to length or is there a coil of cable laying in the attic doing nothing but degrading signal?

Even a well installed system can have screws work loose, settling of poles in ground, tree growth, wind movement, etc that can 'unoptimize' that formerly optimized setup.

BUT... don't give the cable guy's too much credit. There's plenty they can do wrong from over/under setting amplifiers to not properly configuring the receivers. I've seen them connect HDTV's and utilize the 480P output of the cable box.

esabyrn333
12-30-2008, 10:00 AM
EmCeE....When they hook the DirecTV up do they just connect it to the pre-wired cable system for the house?

BillS
12-30-2008, 11:42 AM
Blackout rules are content provider (league) rules, not FCC rules. NBA, NFL, and MLB all have different rules and the regional Fox channels behave accordingly.