PDA

View Full Version : Good Story about Quis in the Star

Trader Joe
12-25-2008, 12:32 PM
http://www.indystar.com/article/20081225/SPORTS04/812250425

Marquis Daniels is giving the gift of hope to those in need

Lessons learned are finally paying off

By Mike Wells (mike.wells@indystar.com)

Marquis Daniels isn't who you think he is.
Mention his name to many Indiana Pacers fans, and it usually brings back bad memories of nightclubs, strip clubs and early-morning television footage.
Mention it to those who know him best, however, and they'll share stories of a softer side. A side he doesn't share often, a side that pushes him to use his influence and wealth to make it better for others.

That side of Daniels was seriously tested more than two years ago.

Daniels, then with the Dallas Mavericks, learned his newborn daughter, Syriah, had a trait of sickle cell anemia, which happens when a person inherits a sickle cell gene from one parent and a normal gene from the other.

"It was like, 'Oh, wow, why is this happening?' " Daniels said. "It scared me because I didn't know what was going on. She doesn't have it full, but when she gets older, she can't be with anyone that has another trait because (there is a chance their baby will have it) if they have a child."

People who have sickle cell trait usually live a regular life. Daniels said Syriah, 2, hasn't had any problems. Syriah's uncle, however, has the more serious disease, sickle cell anemia.

"I know if you have full sickle cell you can have a bad crisis," Daniels said. "Luckily she only has a trait."
Syriah's diagnosis prompted Daniels to include sickle cell donations as part of his "Q6 Foundation."

Daniels' image is still iffy in Indianapolis after being at the scene of an ugly off-the-court incident in February 2007, but few doubt his character in his hometown of Orlando.

He was tough enough to make it out of one of Orlando's most distressed areas and then survive not being drafted. He was kind enough to give back once payday arrived.

The Pacers shooting guard provides funds for underprivileged children and sponsors three AAU basketball teams. His only rules: maintain good grades and stay out of trouble.

He knows how important academics and structure are.
His father wasn't part of his everyday life, but the basketball team was until grades almost took it away. His career at Auburn was delayed while the NCAA determined his eligibility.

Once approved, he graduated with a sociology degree. In 31/2 years.
Along the way, he spoke to school children in Alabama about the importance of education.
While recruiting Daniels, an Auburn assistant asked him about his goals.

"He wanted to get his mother out of her situation and do better things for his family," Eugene Harris told the Syracuse Post-Standard. "He said, 'coach if I can't do it in the NBA, then I'm going to do it with my degree.' "

Looking out for others. That's what he does. After a college teammate's mother died, Daniels made arrangements for the team to attend her funeral. But those are just some of the many reasons his head coach at Auburn, Cliff Ellis, once described Daniels as "a hero."

"I've got a lot of great stories, but his is right at the top," Ellis told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. "What Marquis Daniels has done as a person is one of the more phenomenal stories I've experienced."

Daniels shrugs it off. He prefers the shadows to the spotlight, and insists his charity work is his way of giving back.
"I do a lot of stuff that I don't tell people about because I'm not doing it for the attention," he said. "I'm doing it for the people. People are going to think what they want to think about me, but I could care less."
Last month, Daniels helped provide Thanksgiving meals to 25 sickle cell families at the Martin Center in Indianapolis.
He teamed with the organization "Feed The Children" to give 400 families food and personal care items for Christmas at the Martin Center earlier this week. A viral infection kept Daniels from attending the event, but his efforts didn't go unnoticed.

"We've had input from professional athletes before, but not as personal where the individual comes out, meets the people and clients and has personal interaction with them," Martin Center executive director Susie Davie said. "That to me means a lot. I've been here 15 years and this is the first time in my knowledge that we've had someone of Marquis' status to do that.

"We're just so appreciative of someone like Marquis who has come to our city and filled a need to an organization such as this."
Daniels hosted two families at Tuesday's game against New Jersey. Each family received tickets and Christmas gifts such as jackets and clothes.
While Daniels prefers more of a hip-hop look over the corporate business suit, his foundation is teaching life lessons.

"We had to kick off some great players because they didn't have the grades," said James Turner, coach of Daniels' 17-year-old team.
"His main focus is to get them in college, and you can't get in college without good grades. We're not allowed to just say this kid has good grades; Marquis wants to see the actual report card."

Turner said five players earned mid-major Division I basketball scholarships last year and the team's GPA was near 3.0.
"I told them as long as they do right in school and listen to their parents, I'll make sure they get where they need to get to," Daniels said. "They'll play in all the good tournaments and be seen. It's good when those players are able to get scholarships. I'm very approachable and I like to help out when I can."

Alabama-Redneck
12-25-2008, 03:26 PM
Great story.

So much of this goes on and the media chooses to overlook it because it doesn't sell as many papers or attract as many viewers.

At least the needy are receiving the benefit.

:cool:

Justin Tyme
12-25-2008, 05:20 PM
Definately a different side of Daniels than has been portrayed in the media over the last couple of years. Congratulations to him for helping those that need help.

duke dynamite
12-26-2008, 09:04 AM
Quis is actually a great guy, and an exellent father. When you talk to him, you can tell he is a nice person, and loves his fans.

It is a shame his character got a hit when he was out late a few seasons ago.

Roaming Gnome
12-26-2008, 01:17 PM
Good job, Q6. Generosity of local athletes and entertainers always does give me a warm feeling. I hope this does start to chip away at the reputation that some fans feel that he earned being involved/around some incidents that involved former players.
If I still believed that PS&E used The Star as it PR arm, I'd start to think that this is the teams way to put distance between him and those incidents for the fans that feel he is a link to the past. Makes extending that "team option" a little easier, too

BlueNGold
12-26-2008, 01:49 PM
It's great to see his generosity. However, I never thought his image was ever that bad. Yes, he was at Club Rio and the Eight Seconds saloon incidents, so I could be wrong...but he simply does not seem like an instigator. By the way, that's probably why he's still on the team. I don't think he's as much trouble.

Bball
12-26-2008, 01:56 PM
I figure this article is just confirmation that the Pacers (and/or Star) now have confidence that Marquis won't burn them if they try and help him rebuild his reputation and separate him from some of the past Pacer incidents.

In the past (with other Pacers) we'd get the article first... This time Marquis had to show us thru his actions on and off the court that he didn't belong lumped in with the others. And finally, the team or Star took note of his efforts and felt comfortable enough to do this piece.

....At least that is how I see it....

Good for Marquis!

-Bball

Roaming Gnome
12-26-2008, 02:00 PM
It's great to see his generosity. However, I never thought his image was ever that bad. Yes, he was at Club Rio and the Eight Seconds saloon incidents, so I could be wrong...but he simply does not seem like an instigator. By the way, that's probably why he's still on the team. I don't think he's as much trouble.

On a personal level, I never bought into the whole "guilt by association" thing when it came to Quise. But, a lot of the locals did! I'm not talking just PD'ers but some of the casuals were barking that nonsense.

Los Angeles
12-26-2008, 02:25 PM
Can we please strip the web advertisement out of the first post?

Bball
12-26-2008, 02:39 PM

Seconded!

duke dynamite
12-26-2008, 04:03 PM
I was going to say something about that, too...

Anyway, I really do like Marquis. Not at a Dunleavy level yet, but he has really turned around from that mediocre-esqe backup, and if we can't resign him, he will make a great impact on another team, possibly a starter.

Like I said, Quis has an "OMG-like" awesomeness to him when it comes to his fans. I really never considered him much of a part of those "incidents" just because he has kept himself on this team, and I know he has done that by showing the type of person he really is.

I know Artest was apparently crazy about his kids, that's fine. But Marquis shows the same love for his kids the same love for the community, and for these people a lot...let's use the word "better"...than Ronny did.

Trader Joe
12-26-2008, 04:04 PM
I don't see a web advertisement, and I didn't when I posted it.

duke dynamite
12-26-2008, 04:06 PM
I don't see a web advertisement, and I didn't when I posted it.
Sometimes it comes up as just the word "advertisement", then later it actually shows it. It really depends on what editor you use and what browser you are using. That happened to me once.

Roaming Gnome
12-26-2008, 05:55 PM

Got it!

Trader Joe
12-26-2008, 06:18 PM
Sorry about that guys I think it might have been because I had ABP on.

pacergod2
12-27-2008, 01:35 PM
You know the part about this article that will stick in my mind is that he doesn't do it for the attention. He doesn't care about getting publicity or fulfilling team requirements. He does this because he wants to. He does this because he is a good person. He is real and has a big heart. I love that in people. I would love to see us decline his team option so we can negotiate an extension for him. I want players like this in INDY. Plus he is showing he is a DAMN GOOD BALL PLAYER. I hope the NBA will recognize him for his greatness as this is the type of attention the league wants and Quis does it without being asked to. It's beautiful. Thank you Quis!!!

Kid Minneapolis
12-27-2008, 03:05 PM
I wasn't a fan of Daniels'. His play was lack-luster. He had the off-court incident. He hadn't shown me any character or consistency to even get off the bench.

This year, he's made me a fan. He's stuck it out, his play has greatly improved and he's become way more consistent, and now to read this story about his off-court generosity and good-sense is showing that of all the "troublemakers" we had on this team, perhaps he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. He's stayed out of trouble ever since then.

Good for him.

YoSoyIndy
12-29-2008, 03:08 PM
My favorite part about this story is that it wouldn't have been a story if he wasn't playing well.

Naptown_Seth
12-29-2008, 03:16 PM
If I still believed that PS&E used The Star as it PR arm, I'd start to think that this is the teams way to put distance between him and those incidents for the fans that feel he is a link to the past. Makes extending that "team option" a little easier, too
Bing!

I hope they do, that's for sure. Good story, good effort, overall enjoyable play on his part and other than being present at those moments the rest of the stories around him are 100% positive. I posted about my friend meeting all the Pacers and liking him most of all. It's more than just hype or lip service, he's apparently a guy with an easy smile and pleasant demeanor. I think the main thing with him is that he is also reserved which can come across as snobbish or aloof if you don't know it. I don't think he's the big outgoing personality type, the life of the party type. Seems like he's more sincere and opens up as very friendly when he gets comfortable with a situation.

ps - anything they know about Dun behind the scenes could factor into promoting/keeping Quis as well

duke dynamite
12-29-2008, 03:22 PM
Bing!

ps - anything they know about Dun behind the scenes could factor into promoting/keeping Quis as well
http://static.flickr.com/88/230642847_a7b7b6c8c4.jpg