PDA

View Full Version : Rexnom says Reservoir Dogs is better than The Departed

Natston
12-23-2008, 11:30 AM
PD's poster Rexnom compared two movies recently and decided that Quentin Tarantino's Reservoir Dogs is better than Martin Scorsese's The Departed.

"When it (Reservoir Dogs) was there (on his T.V.), it was always playing hard," Rexnom said. "When 'The Departed' left (his dvd player where Rexnom played it there), no movies really did the things that 'The Departed' did. I see a lot of 'The Departed' (in Reservoir Dogs). It's actually better than 'The Departed', but the only thing 'The Departed' had on it was it was a better suspense movie than Reservoir Dogs."

Link

Go nuts.

artificiallydrunk
12-23-2008, 11:38 AM
He said a gritty Reservoir Dogs just entering the classics was better than 'The Departed', 2 years past it's DVD release...a slap to the face if I ever heard one.

Next thing you're going to tell me Iron Man schooled The Dark Knight in a CGI contest, therefore it's a better movie than TDK.

Natston
12-23-2008, 11:39 AM
Jay Redd posts a lot of things.

artificiallydrunk
12-23-2008, 11:42 AM
When did we start holding people that didn't register in January of 2004 responsible for the things they post, anyway?

Los Angeles
12-23-2008, 01:13 PM
Reservoir Dogs is far better than The Departed.

Hicks
12-23-2008, 01:16 PM
I like Departed much more.

duke dynamite
12-23-2008, 01:29 PM
Yeah, I'd have to say that The Departed was much better. The ending was really a shocker, too. I loved it.

DisplacedKnick
12-23-2008, 01:34 PM
Reservoir Dogs was a much better made film - not sure I liked it more. Neither make my top ten, or top 20, or top 100 list.

The Departed was on its way to being really good until the end - they spent an hour building up the suspense between two characters for a really climactic interaction/showdown/resolution and instead of working with that they decide to shoot someone in an elevator in about 20 seconds.

Talk about feeling empty - I don't know which film I LIKE more but I sure felt like The Departed was more of a waste of a couple hours of my life than RD. And of course any movie where an ear gets cut off gets some props.

DrBadd01
12-23-2008, 01:41 PM
Both Departed and Dogs are great films. Both are directed by by directors with vision. That said Reservoir Dogs is a far better film that the Departed. It has a much smaller budget and was able to pull off is story far better. It is great dialog based movie which is a top 100 film of all time. I especially like films that are not reliant on special effects, and can work based on the script.

The Departed was a remake of a Hong Kong movie, Internal Affairs. In my opinion it wasn't even Scorsese's best film; that honor is reserved for Goodfella's, Raging Bull, or Taxi Driver (probably Taxi Driver). I have seen both Internal Affairs, and The Departed. The Departed is a great movie, but it Hong Kong original is better.

JayRedd
12-23-2008, 01:58 PM
Reservoir Dogs is ground-breaking and unique and widely considered Tarantino's second best film. The Departed is highly enjoyable yet fairly flawed and not even in Scorsece's top five.

It's really not even close.

Unclebuck
12-23-2008, 02:14 PM
I liked Departed much more - in fact I just watched it again last week- forgot how good it was. RD saw once and have no desire to ever see it again

travmil
12-23-2008, 02:22 PM
To me it's not even close, it's The Departed all the way. Reservior Dogs was good though. I do find it strange though that The Departed isn't even close to being Scorsese's best film (Goodfellas FTW), yet it's the one that finally got him his Oscars.

JayRedd
12-23-2008, 02:39 PM
The rat at the end of The Departed was also one of the three or four corniest decisions in directorial history.

Shade
12-23-2008, 02:58 PM
I liked Reservoir Dogs, but I've never seen The Departed.

Trader Joe
12-23-2008, 03:03 PM
I like the Departed a lot, but Reservoir Dogs is better.

Shade
12-23-2008, 03:14 PM
Maybe this thread should have a poll. Looks like opinions are pretty much split.

rexnom
12-23-2008, 07:37 PM
I should be confused by this thread, right?

And hell yeah RD is better than the Departed. Better writing, better directing, better acting, better movie. And I want to hear Scorcese explain the decision to do the rat thing. What the hell could he possibly have been thinking? Ugh. Just thinking about that makes me want to throw up.

Natston
12-23-2008, 07:56 PM
I should be confused by this thread, right?

Parody of the (Kevin Martin > Reggie) thread plus a conversation starter based on your post in the "Last Movie" thread.

Arcadian
12-23-2008, 09:39 PM
Reservoir Dogs is ground-breaking and unique and widely considered Tarantino's second best film. The Departed is highly enjoyable yet fairly flawed and not even in Scorsece's top five.

It's really not even close.

I agree so long as it goes Kill Bills and then RD.

Departed is a remake. Infernal Affairs was much better.

Saying Departed is better than RD is like saying something that is OK is better than something that is awesome.

Putnam
12-24-2008, 09:16 AM
This is ridiculous. Rexnom has always been a bit of a nut, to say the least. And we know about his, "I'll always be a part of Martin Scorsese" comments. But let's be reasonable.

What you have to remember when making this comparison is that Reservoir Dogs is a mature effort by a seasoned cast, while the cast of The Departed is at or near its prime. I mean, look at all that Harvey Kietel has accomplished, going back to that great moment when he made the choking sign in the doorway flicking his cigarette in Travis Bickel's face. You just can't judge him by his performance as Agent Sadusky in National Treasure and say, "Harvey's OK," and then compare that to Mark Wahlberg's "Are you calling us c*nts" speech in The Departed. Kevin Martin certainly is a good player, but Reggie had a storied careers -- something completely different.

And don't go telling me about Reggie being a one-dimensional player who's only trick was the catch and shoot. You wanna talk about one-trick ponies? Well, The Departed was nothing but head shots, one right after the other. Reservoir Dogs has a far greater variety, from the lady who shoots Tim Roth to the policeman's ear. There's just no comparison. When Kevin Martin is at the top of the all-time NBA record for anything, then you can start talking about whether Scorsese ought to have stayed in New York where he belongs instead of setting a movie in Boston. When his number gets retired, then you can seen who stays on the AFI top 100 list.

Bball
12-24-2008, 09:06 PM
RD is like the low budget, low expectation movie that you end up liking because you didn't expect much given those things going in. The problem for me is that by the time I got around to watching RD I'd heard WAY too much hype about it PLUS had seen QT's schtick several times already. It was no longer 'fresh'. So the pointless (or mindless) endless character dialogue really was nothing new. The acting was good but that was a given and expected considering the comments the movie has gathered thru the years. The story, nothing to write home about though.

I'm sure if I'd watched RD several years ago I would likely feel differently about it but the fact is, I didn't watch several years ago. I watched it a few months ago. So I'd heard all the glowing talk about it... where it ranked in QT movies.... etc. For me, the bar was raised too high and the movie just never got 'there'.

I'm like UB on this, The Departed was a more enjoyable film. Regardless of any artistic things, I just feel The Departed is the more 'watchable' movie.

Putnam
12-25-2008, 12:11 PM
The problem for me is that by the time I got around to watching RD I'd heard WAY too much hype

But not all of us follow UCLA's games that closely, and we really thought we wanted Steve Alford.

count55
12-25-2008, 08:16 PM
RD is like the low budget, low expectation movie that you end up liking because you didn't expect much given those things going in. The problem for me is that by the time I got around to watching RD I'd heard WAY too much hype about it PLUS had seen QT's schtick several times already. It was no longer 'fresh'. So the pointless (or mindless) endless character dialogue really was nothing new. The acting was good but that was a given and expected considering the comments the movie has gathered thru the years. The story, nothing to write home about though.

I'm sure if I'd watched RD several years ago I would likely feel differently about it but the fact is, I didn't watch several years ago. I watched it a few months ago. So I'd heard all the glowing talk about it... where it ranked in QT movies.... etc. For me, the bar was raised too high and the movie just never got 'there'.

I'm like UB on this, The Departed was a more enjoyable film. Regardless of any artistic things, I just feel The Departed is the more 'watchable' movie.

I agree with this general POV, though I had seen "Reservoir Dogs" years upon years ago. On the whole, for me to connect with a movie or a book or TV show or anything, I have to find some investment in the characters. For whatever reason, I felt more invested in the characters in the "The Departed" than in "Reservoir Dogs". Also, I find Tarantino to be a little cartoony, a little overly arch for my tastes.

I also liked that "The Departed" pretty much ended the way it had to end. They didn't try to get too cute with the ending.

But, again, I decided a long time ago that you like what you like, and it's really kind of impossible to dissect why.

The problem for me is that by the time I got around to watching RD I'd heard WAY too much hype

But not all of us follow UCLA's games that closely, and we really thought we wanted Steve Alford.

I have no idea what this means in this context, but while I had not seen many UCLA games, I can tell you that anybody who had watched IU extensively and had even a passing understanding of the NBA game knew that Steve Alford was not worth the #11 pick. I am a huge IU fan, and recognized Steve as an All-Time great College player, but thought he was a late 1st rounder at best.

Bball
12-25-2008, 08:31 PM

Alford would've benefited greatly from Tarantino's direction. Say what you will about Knight but he'll never really be compared to Tarantino. I know the comparisons to Frank Capra are out there and I can understand those, but realistically that wouldn't have worked for Alford either.

The question will always remain about Reggie and Scorsese. I think most accept it and move on. It is what it is.

-Bball

Mourning
12-26-2008, 03:39 PM
I liked both movies, but "Reservoir Dogs" wins it for me. Maximum result with the minimal means and divertion. I DO like "The Departed" a lot, but "Reservoir Dogs" is just one of those movies IMO and that has nothing to do with being artistic, but the way it's depicted, then again I'm someone who likes movies that aren't always the easiest digestable.

Regards,

Mourning :cool: