PDA

View Full Version : My Best Friend...

duke dynamite
12-21-2008, 02:36 AM
...of thirteen years died today.

Frizbe, my cat, had diabetes and kidney problems. We had to put him down this morning.

He was a great pet, and an awesome friend. My grandparents had a farm in Crawfordsville, and in 1995 we picked him out from a litter of new-born barn cats. I named him Frizbe.

Signing the papers to have him put to sleep was the hardest thing I've ever had to do.

I miss him. Things will never be the same without him.

Frizbe and the Pacers were my two most favorite things in the world.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c276/tlaurenzana/100_0062.jpg

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c276/tlaurenzana/DSCN0541.jpg

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c276/tlaurenzana/DSCN0873.jpg

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c276/tlaurenzana/PICT0020.jpg

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c276/tlaurenzana/DSCN0874.jpg

N8R
12-21-2008, 03:21 AM
Sorry to hear about the Dukie.

Peck
12-21-2008, 04:04 AM
Duke I am very sorry to read this. We had two cats from the same litter that were part of our family for a very very long time. The Male cat (smokey) passed away at 14 and the female cat (sparkles) sadly passed away this past year at 19 years.

Both of them were diabetic as well.

I understand your pain on this as with Sparkles we had to make the painfully rough decision to have her put to sleep as well. However she could no longer eat or swallow food and was wither away before our eyes.

Enjoy all of the memory's and thank you for sharing the photo's. That was a wonderfull looking cat.

BTW, do your Grandparents still live in Crawfordsville?

idioteque
12-21-2008, 08:18 AM
Sorry to hear that Duke.

When I was around 8 years old I found a cat in my backyard. My parents wouldn't let me keep it because we already had two cats that were very territorial but I coaxed my grandparents who didn't have any pets to take the cat in. It was probably 2 or 3 years old when I found it and it was a great cat that my grandmother, who was reluctant to take it in, ended up loving very much and the cat was a fixture at every family event for years. It loved attention and I remember it sitting on my lap during some great Pacers moments.

That cat passed away in October of this year. I got to see him for the last time in August when I was back in Indy to see some relatives. It is very strange for me to think that he won't be there for the holidays this year, and it's especially tough for my grandparents and they didn't even really want the cat at first! They had to have the cat put to sleep as well, for some reason I'm not really sure of off that top of my head it stopped eating. We don't really know how old it was but it was probably about 15. I'm really sorry to hear that that happened to your cat, but at least that it lived a full and happy life. :)

sweabs
12-21-2008, 10:01 AM
Sorry to hear that, Dukeage. My cat is now in her twentieth year (seriously...it's getting kind of ridiculous)...I know the day will be coming - but take comfort in the fact that these animals lived great lives.

Gyron
12-21-2008, 10:03 AM
Sorry to hear that Duke.

My first dog died of cngestive heart failure 4 years ago tomorrow.

It ws one of the hardest things I have ever had to do to sign those papers to give he shot.

Just know he's in a better place now and pain free. I know that doesn't make it hurt any less, but just something to keep in the back of your mind.

RIP Frizbe

duke dynamite
12-21-2008, 10:16 AM
Thank you all for your support. The family and I went shopping last night in Edinburgh to take our minds off the loss. In the car ride home, we listened to the Pacers' game on the radio, and the way it finished made me feel a lot better.

duke dynamite
12-21-2008, 10:17 AM
BTW, do your Grandparents still live in Crawfordsville?
Back in '97 my grandparents moved from the farm to live on my aunt and uncle's property in New Ross (few miles south of Ladoga).

idioteque
12-21-2008, 10:26 AM
Thank you all for your support. The family and I went shopping last night in Edinburgh to take our minds off the loss. In the car ride home, we listened to the Pacers' game on the radio, and the way it finished made me feel a lot better.

Edinburgh Premium Outlets? That place is really pretty good, I get good discounts at the JCrew there when I am home and thus can look like a douchebag for a discount price.

duke dynamite
12-21-2008, 10:47 AM
Edinburgh Premium Outlets? That place is really pretty good, I get good discounts at the JCrew there when I am home and thus can look like a douchebag for a discount price.
I just wanted to go for the Adidas store.

Hicks
12-21-2008, 11:21 AM
Putting your pet to sleep is a horrible thing to experience, and unfortunately I can relate. I had to put Abby, the dog I had from Kindergarten to my Junior year at BSU, to sleep. I'm still not completely over it. My deepest sympathies. :(

Raoul Duke
12-21-2008, 05:01 PM

I hate to get off-topic but the J.Crew stuff they make for their outlet stores is absolute **** quality.

Shade
12-21-2008, 05:59 PM
Sorry for your loss, Duke. As you know, I am no stranger to loss, especially lately.

I used to be devastated when I lost a pet, which is the main reason I don't have any these days. And none of them made it to anywhere near 13 years.

jeffg-body
12-21-2008, 10:00 PM
Sorry for your loss. I had to put my cat down of seventeen years earlier this year. It is always hard to have to make that decision.

duke dynamite
12-21-2008, 11:21 PM
Again, thanks guys.

As a display of my love for Frizbe, I hung his collar and tag on the Christmas tree.

ABADays
12-22-2008, 09:49 AM
Really sorry to hear the sad news Duke. I had to put my cat and dog down that were long time friends and companions. Scooter had to be put down just before I went to Iraq and I'm still not over it.

SycamoreKen
12-22-2008, 09:54 AM
I too am sorry about your loss DD. Our cat Ashes looks just like yours. Was he a Russian Blue? Ours is the most lovable cat I have ever had.

Major Cold
12-22-2008, 11:34 AM
Dukie I am sorry about your loss. I helped a family bury their dog of 13 years. Two giant of men weeping over their friends grave is an image that I will never forget. I love my cats and they are young and vibrant (not so much in this cold) but I dread the day I might have to put them to sleep.

duke dynamite
12-22-2008, 11:35 AM
I too am sorry about your loss DD. Our cat Ashes looks just like yours. Was he a Russian Blue? Ours is the most lovable cat I have ever had.
Blue.

duke dynamite
12-22-2008, 11:35 AM
Dukie I am sorry about your loss. I helped a family bury their dog of 13 years. Two giant of men weeping over their friends grave is an image that I will never forget. I love my cats and they are young and vibrant (not so much in this cold) but I dread the day I might have to put them to sleep.
Thanks.

Los Angeles
12-22-2008, 02:50 PM
I'm sorry, Duke.

May Frizbe truly rest in peace.

Stryder
12-22-2008, 10:39 PM
My cat is like a child to me. He watches football and basketball with me. He sits with me as I surf the internet. He watches intently as I play Wii. Hell, he even sleeps next to me every night.

Gary was a stray that we took in 4 years ago. It will truly be a sad day when the end comes.

Duke, I'm sorry for your loss. RIP Frizbe.

Sollozzo
12-23-2008, 12:54 AM
I'm sorry for your loss. My dog has been my world for almost 11 years. When the end comes for her, I don't know what I'll do.

The loss of a pet is about the hardest thing to deal with outside of losing a family member/friend.