PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever eaten at Shapiro's

jeffg-body
12-19-2008, 12:38 AM
I found a great New York style deli downtown today called Shapiro's. It is on McCarthy and South Meridian. Great sandwiches, entrees, deserts, and sides. We had six of us and it was under 100$ for all of us. If you like great fresh food at a reasonable price this place is worth checking out.:buddies:

travmil
12-19-2008, 12:41 AM
Shapiro's is an Indy institution. It's as good as a deli gets around here. Sandwiches are good but their desserts are wonderful.

Sollozzo
12-19-2008, 01:16 AM
Shapiro's is an Indy institution. It's as good as a deli gets in the United States. Sandwiches are good but their desserts are wonderful.

Fixed.

Shapiro's is amazing. It's a must before any Colts/Pacer game. Hell, it's a must when in downtown Indy period. I've eaten at the Carnegie in New York, and the Shapiros pastrami sandwich is just as good, if not a little better. Of course, the difference is when you walk out of the Carnegie you're in Manhattan instead of a small midwestern city. But from a pure food standpoint, Shapiros is just as good.

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/destinations/10great/2006-03-23-jewish-delis_x.htm

Shapiro's Delicatessen
Indianapolis

"This city isn't exactly where you'd expect to run across a classic deli, Bellman acknowledges, but this one has been in the Shapiro family for four generations. The cafeteria-style restaurant seats 250, who flock to dine on traditional fare such as sour cream egg noodles and potato pancakes. 317-631-4041; shapiros.com."

jeffg-body
12-19-2008, 01:56 AM
I forgot to add that about the deserts. The selection of everything was unreal. I had the German Chocolate Pie and it was out of this world.

Trader Joe
12-19-2008, 01:57 AM
There is one in Carmel too.

count55
12-19-2008, 11:21 AM
mmmm...Shapiro's Hot Corned Beef & Swiss on rye with brown mustard.

The new potatoes are a fantastic side.

The Lemon Cake is surprising good, as well.

aero
12-19-2008, 11:33 AM
yeah its a favorite of many in Indianapolis. I remember them showing it on Sunday Night Football when we played on there last.

idioteque
12-19-2008, 12:50 PM
I love Delis and I am yet to find anything in DC that is even close to as good as Shapiros.

Yes, Indy isn't a big city, but I'm sort of tired of hearing the surprise of people regarding how great Shapiro's is relative to the city that it is in (this is not a jab at the original poster or anyone else on this board). Sure, Indy is not New York, but it's not like the place is in the middle of Rushville or something.

On that top ten delis list there are delis listed in some Cleveland suburb, Ann Arbor Michigan, and Baltimore (which is just a larger version of Indy before they cleaned it up). Come on. There's a reason that the "Corned Beef Row" mentioned in the article in Baltimore only has one deli left.

indygeezer
12-19-2008, 04:21 PM
Been eating there for over 40 years. I must admit that I no longer want to eat the full sandwich in one sitting though. Way too big. Their deviled eggs are great and how they have fresh strawberries in January has always puzzled me (they're as big as a duck egg). And my family loves their bagels.

Whatever happend to Sams Deli....they had GREAT ham sandwiches.

Roaming Gnome
12-19-2008, 04:35 PM
When I was working at Lucas Oil during the construction.... I ate there about once a week. Before I found out about the place, I'd never pay $10.50 for a sandwich. Now, I'd gladly give up the loot for their Ruben Sandwich. To me, it's that good. Hit that with the deviled egg and a piece of Carrot Cake... Doesn't get any better for lunch, and you should have enough for a snack later...or dinner for you light weights.

Raoul Duke
12-19-2008, 05:40 PM
Don't know if I'd call $15 for a Roast Beef sandwich and an iced tea with no refills reasonable...

Knucklehead Warrior
12-19-2008, 07:06 PM
I've eaten at the Carnegie in New York, and the Shapiros pastrami sandwich is just as good, if not a little better. Of course, the difference is when you walk out of the Carnegie you're in Manhattan instead of a small midwestern city. But from a pure food standpoint, Shapiros is just as good.

I've never been to the Carnegie, but I've seen that pastrami sandwich on TV and it is a FRICKIN' MONSTER. Shapiro's pastrami and swiss with hot mustard on rye is what I usually get. My GOD, the potato salad and the deviled eggs !!!

The problem with Shapiro's IMO isn't the prices, but the sheer magnitude of the servings, plus there's so much you want to eat, you have to wave off about half of it.

My wife got a sandwich once and we counted the slices of meat on it -- 39.

Yeah a Reuben, potato salad, and cream soda can run you about $16. Worth it IMO, good food always is.

Knucklehead Warrior
12-19-2008, 07:07 PM
Don't know if I'd call $15 for a Roast Beef sandwich and an iced tea with no refills reasonable...

Oops, I've always gotten refills. New policy?

sweabs
12-19-2008, 08:28 PM
Whenever I make my road trips to Indy, it's a must before any Pacer game.

Loooove their pastrami. I have had some real good chocolate cake eating there, as well.

Knucklehead Warrior
12-20-2008, 02:06 AM
Time before last when I was there, there was a guy who drove down from Chicago ordering takeout. He was complaining about how much the prices had gone up -- $20 for two sandwiches -- and I was thinking WTH, you just drove 175 miles, you just spent that on gas.

idioteque
12-20-2008, 08:42 PM
Anyone complaining about 20 bucks for two sandwiches has never lived on the East Coast.

count55
12-21-2008, 11:07 AM
Anyone complaining about 20 bucks for two sandwiches has never lived on the East Coast.

10-15yrs ago, we used to jokingly refer to Shapiro's as "Home of the $10 lunch", then, a couple years after that, I told my friend we needed to upgrade it to $12.

There was a period of years where I wasn't close enough to go to either Shapiros. Then, a couple of years ago when my brother was in Methodist Hospital, he asked if I could get him a corned beef sandwich instead of the crappy hospital food. I was glad for the excuse to go, but I admit that I was a little shocked to see $9.65 for the sandwich (it's $10.15 today).

However, that didn't prevent me from getting a couple, and some deviled eggs for him.

I must say, a bargain at twice the price. Hot Corned Beef stacked a good 5-6 inches high. Absolute heaven.

idioteque
12-21-2008, 12:03 PM
10-15yrs ago, we used to jokingly refer to Shapiro's as "Home of the $10 lunch", then, a couple years after that, I told my friend we needed to upgrade it to $12.

There was a period of years where I wasn't close enough to go to either Shapiros. Then, a couple of years ago when my brother was in Methodist Hospital, he asked if I could get him a corned beef sandwich instead of the crappy hospital food. I was glad for the excuse to go, but I admit that I was a little shocked to see $9.65 for the sandwich (it's $10.15 today).

However, that didn't prevent me from getting a couple, and some deviled eggs for him.

I must say, a bargain at twice the price. Hot Corned Beef stacked a good 5-6 inches high. Absolute heaven.

Shapiro's is definitely worth it. You pay a dollar or so less than that for a decent sandwhich in DC and they screw you on the portions.

indygeezer
12-23-2008, 07:33 AM
Shapiro's is definitely worth it. You pay a dollar or so less than that for a decent sandwhich in DC and they screw you on the portions.

Why not? Everybody else in DC is out to screw me.

idioteque
12-23-2008, 08:41 AM
:nod:

Hicks
12-23-2008, 12:27 PM
:security:

count55
12-23-2008, 11:29 PM

:rolleyes:

Eindar
12-26-2008, 12:05 PM
No matter where I go or live, there will always be a place in my heart for Shapiro's. It's expensive, and the staff are efficient to the point of being surly, but out here amongst the corn, it's a feather in the city's cap.