PDA

View Full Version : Any local wanna make a tiny bit of $ before Christmas?

indygeezer
12-16-2008, 09:34 AM
OK....I need help, I'm really no techie and don't like having to deal with what I'm looking at anyway. I cannot afford much but if someone would come out and install my new printer/copier/fax I could pay a bit. (we'll talk and I'll be fair)

My problem? One phone line with a DSL splitter on it. One line goes to the DSL box and the other to the back of my computer...and sometimes the router. So how to connect in the fax? I need the line to do phone/dsl/fax.

I look at all the wires and go .........duuuuuuuuuuuh. I'm prolly making this way too hard but I neither have the time or the patience.

anyone?

duke dynamite
12-16-2008, 11:57 AM
OK....I need help, I'm really no techie and don't like having to deal with what I'm looking at anyway. I cannot afford much but if someone would come out and install my new printer/copier/fax I could pay a bit. (we'll talk and I'll be fair)

My problem? One phone line with a DSL splitter on it. One line goes to the DSL box and the other to the back of my computer...and sometimes the router. So how to connect in the fax? I need the line to do phone/dsl/fax.

I look at all the wires and go .........duuuuuuuuuuuh. I'm prolly making this way too hard but I neither have the time or the patience.

anyone?
I have a switch you could use.

indygeezer
12-16-2008, 12:14 PM
I have a switch you could use.

what would that do for me?

duke dynamite
12-16-2008, 11:47 PM
Basically, it turns one Ethernet connection into 5.

indygeezer
12-17-2008, 07:40 AM
OK, currently the dsl line from the wall has a two way splitter on it. One line goes to the dsl modem which then goes to my 'puter. The other line goes directly to the back of my computer. Is that necessary? Couldn't I disconnect the one that goes directly to the computer and run that to the copier/fax???

Or do I need this 5-way splitter?

travmil
12-17-2008, 08:02 AM
Split the DSL line at the outlet, send one line to the DSL modem and one line to the copy/fax/phone with a DSL filter on it. Or I found this handy dandy wiring diagram.

http://support.cshore.com/images/DSLSwitch.jpg

indygeezer
12-17-2008, 08:14 AM
I believe this outlet to already be filtered and a splitter on the filter. From the schematic, the one line going to my PC is unneeded.

I'll give 'er a try later.

Naptown_Seth
12-17-2008, 08:02 PM
Geez, the unneeded line was my first thought listening to the description. Travmil's picture is a pretty standard layout.

1) Phone comes out of wall and has high freq DSL piggybacked.

2) Filter/split goes on with ONE side being phone only, DSL frequencies filtered off. Without this those DSL signals can screw with your phone device. Most DSL hookups have the filter built into the splitter. It's just a simple low pass filter basically, nothing fancy.

3) DSL output line goes to the DSL modem so it can convert the DSL high freq. packages to IP/ethernet packages. This can go to your ethernet input on the computer or...

4) Modem output goes to a ROUTER if you need extra internet connections. Don't use a hub as those don't handle multiple IP addresses and packet routing. Routers are dirt cheap and basically plug and play ($50 I think for average ones now). Don't use a router if you only need one computer online and have no other things to connect to the internet.

5) That single phone line now goes to a phone, or a Dish box needing phone, or in your case the FAX machine. If you need more than one thing on a phone line you will have to split that with a phone line splitter on that line only (ie, after the DSL/phone split).

6) The outputs of the router go to each of your computers or ethernet devices (Blu-Ray players, XBox, etc). Most routers now include a wireless point too which you should turn off ASAP or at least put a password on if you want to use it.

OR IN OTHER WORDS

Couldn't I disconnect the one that goes directly to the computer and run that to the copier/fax???Yes. ;) You should check and see if the input its going to says "modem" just to triple check.

My guess is that if someone else did this setup they were leaving you with the option to use a dial up modem which is pretty dumb since you have the DSL line. If you did it by accident no shame in that, this stuff gets confusing in a hurry.

Router talk
One great thing about a router is that it is a hardware FIREWALL which means it helps block traffic from having direct access to your computer. Plugging straight in to the CPU means that you are relying on the software firewall of either XP/Vista or perhaps some third party software like Norton. Software firewalls are easier to break through.

So basically I just flip flopped and told you to go ahead and pick up a router even if you only have one computer to go to at this point. :) Still turn off that wireless ASAP if you do get one and aren't using it. People can/will get on board your internet via unprotected wireless. If you do want to use it I suggest the WPA password, turning off the SSID broadcast if possible (tells the world it exists), and using the MAC filter (each net device has a specific MAC id and you can make it so only approved MAC ids can climb on board your wireless).

indygeezer
12-17-2008, 08:32 PM
I am about to purchase my 3rd router in two years. Netgear...keep dying for some reason. ANd yes, I go thru all the re-boots etc to no avail.

The unneeded lline went to a port marked "phone" as does the line from the dsl modem (different port).

I'll try the set up in the AM when fewer peering eyes are peering over my shoulder.

Like....Jr....Geezerette...et al.

indygeezer
12-18-2008, 10:41 AM
It's set up and running!!!! YEAH ME!!

and to think, I was gonna give someone fifty bucks to install this for me.

I even went to ATT and ordered a distinctive ring tone so it wouldn 't interfer with regular phone calls (primarily the answering machine)

Thanks to all!!