PDA

View Full Version : My friend was just killed

Shade
12-15-2008, 06:49 PM
He was shot twice in the chest in his home, and he lives in the same neighborhood I do, not more than a few yards away. Nobody knows yet why this happened, but he's the kind of guy who just doesn't have enemies. He was only 20 years old.

His name was Aaron Lamere. Please keep a prayer in your heart for his family and friends.

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v321/244/109/593422474/n593422474_860485_7744.jpg

R.I.P. Aaron. You will be missed, man.

EDIT: http://www.indystar.com/article/20081215/NEWS02/81215059

Hicks
12-15-2008, 06:51 PM
Wow. I don't know what to say other than I'm sorry it happened.

indygeezer
12-15-2008, 06:54 PM
Shade

It was just a year ago that the wife of my best friend died under "circumstances". I have yet to feel the full loss of her.

I'm terribly sorry for your loss and will keep you, him, and his family in my prayers.

Lord Helmet
12-15-2008, 07:38 PM
I am very sorry to hear this, Shade.

I really don't know what to say. Stay strong, I'm sure your friend would want it that way. :(

Natston
12-15-2008, 07:45 PM
:console:

kester99
12-15-2008, 08:30 PM
What a world. Condolences, Shade.

SoupIsGood
12-15-2008, 09:02 PM
:(

I'm sorry, dude.

GO!!!!!
12-15-2008, 09:22 PM
My sincere condolences for your and his familys loss..

it's not going to be easy but stay strong

Unclebuck
12-15-2008, 09:33 PM
Shade - very sorry to hear that. Impossible to knopw if it was something random or not obviously, but Shade, be careful, that neighborhood isn't as safe as it used to be.

count55
12-15-2008, 09:45 PM
Such violence can only be described as a senseless waste.

My condolences.

N8R
12-15-2008, 09:47 PM
Sorry to hear about that Shade.

Pig Nash
12-15-2008, 10:43 PM
You know how I feel, Brian. I am stunned and I'm sorry if I didn't show it more earlier, I just don't know how to react and so I'm compartmentalizing it and that's not fair to you or Aaron. I'd say I hope you feel better but I know I wouldn't so stay as strong as you can.

Gyron
12-15-2008, 11:15 PM
My condolences Shade

idioteque
12-15-2008, 11:18 PM
What a tragedy. Going through a similar situation I have learned that you never get over it but you somehow learn to live with it. Stay strong.

duke dynamite
12-15-2008, 11:45 PM
My condolences.

heywoode
12-16-2008, 12:16 AM
So sorry to hear the bad news, Shade. It is difficult dealing with this kind of loss. If there is anything I can do, or you want to talk (to a complete stranger on the internet), I would be glad to listen.

Everyone involved will be in my prayers.

Take care.

Trader Joe
12-16-2008, 02:01 AM
Stay strong Shade. You're in my prayers.

Los Angeles
12-16-2008, 03:19 AM
I'm so very very sorry.

Raskolnikov
12-16-2008, 04:50 AM
Wow, that's awful.

Skaut_Ech
12-16-2008, 09:17 AM
Man, I can't believe that, Shade. Aaron was truly a funny, silly, sweet guy. I met him at the eastside Magic convention. I even came home and told my wife how much I liked him. Unbelievable. I just read the story in the paper and saw the story on the news. If you need anything, give me a call.

Since86
12-16-2008, 12:15 PM
It will be two years next month since I lost a close friend. It's one of those things that make you really appreciate your friends, and it brings a group of you a lot closer. Keep your head up.

Major Cold
12-16-2008, 08:40 PM
Sorry to hear that Shade. I will pray for comfort and for justice.

Doug
12-16-2008, 10:22 PM
Sorry to hear that, Shade. My condolences.

Shade
12-16-2008, 11:33 PM
Thank you to everyone for the condolences. It's been really rough, and I don't even think it'll completely settle in until the funeral. Talking to his grandmother today was especially tough.

I have a little more information on the situation, but still no suspect or motivation has been identified. I'll share what I can later. Right now, I'm just completely exhausted.

Thanks again everyone.

Shade
12-16-2008, 11:54 PM
One more thing. A few of Aaron's closest friends are making t-shirts in his honor. If you would like to purchase one, they're $20, with all proceeds going to his family. Or, if you'd just like to donate anything at all, that would be great as well.

Haggard
12-17-2008, 08:11 AM
That terrible news Shade. Condolences to yourself and Aaron's family

Shade
12-17-2008, 11:17 AM
You know how I feel, Brian. I am stunned and I'm sorry if I didn't show it more earlier, I just don't know how to react and so I'm compartmentalizing it and that's not fair to you or Aaron. I'd say I hope you feel better but I know I wouldn't so stay as strong as you can.

Highlander. That's perfect. :laugh:

I went to his place last night with some of his friends to gather up some of his stuff, and they gave me his Magic cards, along with his highlander deck. It's great to have that to remember him by.

Skaut_Ech
12-17-2008, 11:30 AM
Highlander. That's perfect. :laugh:

I went to his place last night with some of his friends to gather up some of his stuff, and they gave me his Magic cards, along with his highlander deck. It's great to have that to remember him by.

Especially when you consider his rationale for putting cards in his decks.

"I like The picture on this one. She looks pissed. I'm puttinng this in my deck"

"But that card doesn't do anything"

"Yeah, but look how PISSED she looks. It's going in my deck"

Shade
12-17-2008, 11:36 AM
So, here's what happened.

Aaron was at his place playing Rock Band with some friends around 3:30 in the afternoon. His grandmother was also home at the time. He lives right across the street from Lawrence Central, and school had just let out. Now, everyone who is Aaron's friend never even knocks or uses the front door. We just go through the back patio door, which is pretty much always unlocked so that we can just go in.

Aaron had just said his goodbyes to a friend who was leaving. At the time, his grandma happened to notice a red pick-up truck circling around the backside of the apartment in the parking lot there. She said that it looked like there was a "mixed" race male driving, but she wasn't 100% sure.

Seconds after the friend left, there was a knock at the door. Aaron opened the door and was immediately shot. He quickly slammed the door shut as the shooter got off two more shots that hit the door. At least one ricocheted off the door into the kitchen sink, which then ricocheted and hit the wall. Aaron slunk down the door and his grandma asked him if he had been shot, and he said "yes." To my knowledge, this was his last word. He was still technically "alive" when the medics took him to the hospital, but he effectively died in his grandma's arms.

The bullet hit him at an angle right above his heart, severing his aorta and puncturing his lung.

One of Aaron's younger relatives immediately chased after the shooter, and is the only one who may have gotten a look at him. Unfortunately, the whole incident screwed him up very badly mentally, so I don't think they've been able to get any kind of description from him. There's more to that story, but I don't want to release too much personal info.

There was one suspect who was a bit of a long shot, but he was released by police after passing a polygraph test.

There is currently a $1000 reward posted for information leading to the shooter, and an additional $500 to anyone who can recover the gun as well.

I keep alternating between shock, sadness, and anger right now. Sometimes I'm fine, other times not so much. Right now I would give anything to be alone with the shooter for 5 minutes. I know it won't bring Aaron back, but his killer needs to suffer for what he's done.

Shade
12-17-2008, 11:37 AM
Especially when you consider his rationale for putting cards in his decks.

"I like The picture on this one. She looks pissed. I'm puttinng this in my deck"

"But that card doesn't do anything"

"Yeah, but look how PISSED she looks. It's going in my deck"

That is so true. :laugh:

When I can get my head somewhat straight again, I plan on holding a memorial game in his honor, and I'm totally playing his deck like he would have. :D

Unclebuck
12-17-2008, 01:48 PM
So it was completely random - what was the motive? Not that it is any of my business

Shade
12-17-2008, 02:08 PM
So it was completely random - what was the motive? Not that it is any of my business

Nobody knows. Basically, if you knew Aaron, you were his friend. He had no known enemies. That's what's making it so difficult for them to pin down a suspect.

Unclebuck
12-17-2008, 03:38 PM
Nobody knows. Basically, if you knew Aaron, you were his friend. He had no known enemies. That's what's making it so difficult for them to pin down a suspect.

Shade, I hope what I am about to say isn't upsetting to you. But if they didn't steal anything or weren't looking to steal anything then they must have known Aaron. Unless it was some type of gang initiation thing or maybe a mistaken identity.

SoupIsGood
12-17-2008, 03:53 PM
He was immediately shot? That makes it sounds like they were intent to just shoot whoever opened the door. Godammit. I'm sorry, Shade. I hope you and everyone Aaron loved get through this okay... please keep us informed.

Shade
12-17-2008, 03:59 PM
Shade, I hope what I am about to say isn't upsetting to you. But if they didn't steal anything or weren't looking to steal anything then they most have known Aaron. Unless it was some type of gang initiation thing or maybe a mistaken identity.

He may not have even been the target. There were several people there at the time.

It could have been a hate crime. After all, he's mixed, and his grandmother is white.

It could have been a scorned ex-boyfriend of a girl that Aaron was friends with.

It could have been a gang initiation with someone told to kill somebody at random.

It could have been a million different things, honestly. Nobody knows yet what it was. All we can do is speculate. But the bottom line is, a good person is dead who shouldn't be, and the inhuman scumbag who did it is still out there.

Shade
12-17-2008, 04:03 PM
He was immediately shot? That makes it sounds like they were intent to just shoot whoever opened the door. Godammit. I'm sorry, Shade. I hope you and everyone Aaron loved get through this okay... please keep us informed.

That's what I was thinking as well, but who knows. It really doesn't make much sense. Lawrence Central was just letting out classes at that time as well, so it could easily have been someone from the school. After all, Aaron was only 20, not that far removed from high school himself.

ajbry
12-17-2008, 04:13 PM
That is horrible, my condolences to you and his family.

And being a little self-absorbed here, it kind of freaks me out... We share the same age and name...

Shade
12-17-2008, 06:10 PM
That is horrible, my condolences to you and his family.

And being a little self-absorbed here, it kind of freaks me out... We share the same age and name...

I'm glad you're freaked out, actually. That's the real lesson here: live your life to the fullest, because tomorrow is never guaranteed. Hell, one second from now is not guaranteed.

Naptown_Seth
12-17-2008, 07:46 PM
Shade, a friend of mine just died of a heart attack this summer at age 37. Just dropped dead in his front yard when he and his fiancee came home from tending her horse at the barn. Also I had a very good friend of mine killed on a 3 wheeler many years ago when I was just 19 and she was 17. Both were F'd up, but I can say I finally got over the first one and it did make it a bit easier to deal with the second one.

Even still though the heart attack thing freaked me out, even to anxiety attacks at random, as in not even thinking about the issue when I felt the physical wave come over me.

So talk to people, never feel the least bit of shame in ANY emotion, even if it's out of place happiness, guilt, whatever. Emotions are a physical experience, your brain processing stuff is as physical as your heart beating, and these moments in life simply F us up no matter what angle we are coming from. You get impacted in all sorts of weird, sometimes seemingly unconnected ways from trauma.

My suggestion is to put a pin in the calender for about 6 months from now and then just hunker down and ride things out till then at least. Go through the motions, keep yourself busy with whatever, but don't expect to feel even close to normal till then and be careful of judging yourself or your life unfairly along the way (shouldas, etc). It will probably suck most of the time, but eventually time wipes out the bad memories just as well as it fades the good ones.

I don't think you have to live life to the "fullest" in the sense of making every moment count. People get burned out on that approach. Better to enjoy even the simple things and appreciate just being the person you are. It sure sounds to me like your friend did just that without having to try everything, go everywhere, and so on. Sitting down with a Magic deck has just as much merit as flying to Paris or hiking the Grand Canyon. Never sell yourself or your "modest" interests short, that's my version of living life to the fullest. Know yourself and to thine own self be true.
:)

Shade
12-17-2008, 08:05 PM
Seth, that's true, and that's what I meant when I said "living life to the fullest." Aaron loved to do the things he did and he did them whenever he could. They didn't take over his life, but he didn't neglect them, either. I mean, he loved playing Rock Band with his friends and had been doing just that, living his life all the way to the end.

I honestly think this whole thing is a bit harder right now because of the circumstances involved. It wasn't anything Aaron did or a freak accident that got Aaron killed, but rather someone else who made the decision of when and how Aaron's life would end. It's even worse that that monster is still out there, drawing breath and possibly planning to hurt someone else. It's not ****ing right.

Sollozzo
12-22-2008, 11:27 PM
Any updates?

SycamoreKen
12-23-2008, 12:27 AM
Sorry to get on this late, I've been out of here for a while. My condolences Shade. Our prayers will go out for you, his family, and to everyone else touched by this.

Lord Helmet
12-23-2008, 01:50 AM
Seth, that's true, and that's what I meant when I said "living life to the fullest." Aaron loved to do the things he did and he did them whenever he could. They didn't take over his life, but he didn't neglect them, either. I mean, he loved playing Rock Band with his friends and had been doing just that, living his life all the way to the end.

I honestly think this whole thing is a bit harder right now because of the circumstances involved. It wasn't anything Aaron did or a freak accident that got Aaron killed, but rather someone else who made the decision of when and how Aaron's life would end. It's even worse that that monster is still out there, drawing breath and possibly planning to hurt someone else. It's not ****ing right.
It really is not fair that the scumbag that did this is still free.

It is a sad time when great people are lost, especially at such an unfair circumstance like this. Aaron sounds like he was a very cool person, and someone who I could be very good friends with, and I'm sure he would have been.

R.I.P.

There will be justice.

Shade
12-23-2008, 02:09 AM
Any updates?

Possibly, but nothing I can share at the moment. I'm still digging for information.

Shade
12-23-2008, 02:19 AM
Btw, thanks again to everybody for the support. I'm doing better, but I'm still having a hard time dealing with this. The guy was so full of life, it's just hard to imagine him no longer being amongst us, even though I've seen it with my own eyes. It happening at this time of year, just as all of us who knew him were about to get together to hang out, makes it even harder. I just keep envisioning his final moments and trying to put myself in his shoes when it happened, and it's horrifying.

Moses
12-23-2008, 02:20 AM
That is tragic man. My heart goes out to you along with his family and close friends. :( Hopefully they find the piece of garbage who did it.

ABADays
12-23-2008, 11:08 AM
I think back on a lot of your posts over the past year or so. You've had some major hurdles to overcome. The important thing is you have and you will with this one too.

The senseless of things like this just make my head spin. I mean where are we, as a society, headed?

You and his family are in my prayers. Stay strong Shade.

Shade
12-23-2008, 01:34 PM
I'm hearing today that the police may have the person responsible, or at the very least a strong suspect. That's all I can say right now, but I really hope it's true.

Shade
12-23-2008, 01:38 PM
I think back on a lot of your posts over the past year or so. You've had some major hurdles to overcome. The important thing is you have and you will with this one too.

The senseless of things like this just make my head spin. I mean where are we, as a society, headed?

You and his family are in my prayers. Stay strong Shade.

Thanks, ABA. You haven't exactly had an easy time of late yourself, but you're right, we'll persevere eventually. It's just still too soon right now.

On a "blessing in disguise" note, this tragedy has brought some of his friends a lot closer together, which helps a lot. And it has definitely changed my perspective of some things. I don't think I'll ever be completely the same person I was before, and that's a good thing. Even though A-ron is no longer with us, he's still having a positive impact on our lives. Bless him and bless all of you.

Slick Pinkham
12-29-2008, 01:53 PM
It's been awhile since I read this sub-forum, but you also have my condolences too. What a senseless waste. Hopefully the scum perpetrator is about to be identified and the community can get a better understanding of who did this and what (if anything) they were thinkling.

Shade
12-15-2009, 02:35 AM
It's been an entire year and Aaron's killer has still not been brought to justice.

R.I.P. Bro :(

idioteque
12-15-2009, 01:11 PM
Any leads, anything?

It is incredibly sad and terrible how often people get away from these things. Living in a big city, when I watch the news and something like that happens the story usually ends with "if you have any leads call the police" which basically means the police have no idea what happened.

Just terrible. I remember you posting this. I can't believe it has been a year.

My guess is someone knows who did this. I hate the "stop snitching" culture with a passion.

Trophy
12-15-2009, 01:15 PM
I'm sorry to hear this.

Shade
12-15-2009, 01:18 PM
Any leads, anything?

It is incredibly sad and terrible how often people get away from these things. Living in a big city, when I watch the news and something like that happens the story usually ends with "if you have any leads call the police" which basically means the police have no idea what happened.

Just terrible. I remember you posting this. I can't believe it has been a year.

My guess is someone knows who did this. I hate the "stop snitching" culture with a passion.

They had a few leads, but nothing ever materialized.

GO!!!!!
12-15-2009, 03:52 PM
: (

may we be gracious for what we all have and may we never forget, all the best tonight Shade, May Aarons memories and legacy live for ever

Los Angeles
12-15-2009, 09:07 PM
Once again, I am so very sorry for your loss, Shade.

Sometimes justice takes a long time. I know that's little consolation.

Spirit
12-16-2009, 11:27 PM
Man, I remember when this happened.. It's awful that it's not a solved case. I'll be praying for some kind of lead to come up or that the person confesses. May he rest in peace.

Pacersfan46
12-17-2009, 04:08 AM
Sucks they have no idea who did it, I know that feeling well. Daily I hope that the fool I was involved with was stupid enough to keep the gun, and one day gets arrested with it. Then when the police cross reference the ballistics with all known cases, they can lock up the moron who tried to kill me.

I hope the same thing happens here. It's sad to have to hope for such a long shot. Ugh.

-- Steve --

N8R
12-19-2009, 07:17 AM
This is still so terrible. Sorry yet again Shade.

Sookie
12-19-2009, 03:54 PM

Yes it does. Which makes it sound like a gang initiation or something along those lines...

Also shade, if there is any reason for that suspect, make sure the police recheck him. People have been screaming for years, polygraphs DO NOT WORK.

I'm really sorry to hear this happened, it's just terrible. as others have said, stay strong.