PDA

View Full Version : Primoz Brezec taken by Charlotte Bobcats

Hicks
06-22-2004, 04:02 PM
Listening to ESPN950. They said that earlier today Bird said he expected to lose Primoz to the draft.

*Update*

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1826394

SkipperZ
06-22-2004, 04:03 PM
insider reported the same thing

indygeezer
06-22-2004, 04:03 PM
NOT PRIMOZ!!!!!!!!!! Please <sob, gnawing and gnashing>

Stryder
06-22-2004, 04:04 PM
Who cares.

Primoz is a dime-a-dozen type of player.

MSA2CF
06-22-2004, 04:05 PM
I am taking donations for the "Bring Brezec Back Fund."

*Should the goal prove unattainable, the money go toward the purchase of a Primoz Brezec Bobcats jersey.*

ABADays
06-22-2004, 04:06 PM
Da foreign bastid is history Geez! Muaaaaahahahaha!

Unclebuck
06-22-2004, 04:06 PM
Good

Kstat
06-22-2004, 04:07 PM
Better Primoz than Brewer.

MSA2CF
06-22-2004, 04:08 PM

Take that back! :cry:

indygeezer
06-22-2004, 04:08 PM
If he is gone, look for the P's to take another Euro giant (or Korean) at #29...if we still have that pick.

Kstat
06-22-2004, 04:09 PM

Take that back! :cry:

Ok.

Better Primoz than the hot dog vendor in section 201.

Will Galen
06-22-2004, 04:10 PM
If he is gone, look for the P's to take another Euro giant at #29...if we still have that pick.

I've thought we would do that all along, even if we kept PB.

Suaveness
06-22-2004, 04:10 PM
Boo hoo. Thank goodness. That gives us some extra room to bring in someone who can actually play.

And yes, I'd rather have the hot dog vendor.

Doug in CO
06-22-2004, 04:11 PM
Can we get them to take Brewer too?

Suaveness
06-22-2004, 04:11 PM

I wish.

Kstat
06-22-2004, 04:14 PM

I actually like Brewer. At least his energy counts for SOMETHING off the bench.....

TheSauceMaster
06-22-2004, 04:15 PM
I think most of us old timers , said Pb would be the one , so no surprise to me.

indygeezer
06-22-2004, 04:15 PM
We do obtain a trade exemption for any player taken. PB's salary is bigger than JB's, but either way, don't look for them to use all the money. They'll bring in somebody at the mins. a call it a wash. (save the bucks where you can, spend it where you need)

Suaveness
06-22-2004, 04:19 PM
We do obtain a trade exemption for any player taken. PB's salary is bigger than JB's, but either way, don't look for them to use all the money. They'll bring in somebody at the mins. a call it a wash. (save the bucks where you can, spend it where you need)

Can you explain how the trade exemption works?

Will Galen
06-22-2004, 04:25 PM

Team's losing players in the expansion draft get a trade exception equal to this years salary.

Suaveness
06-22-2004, 04:27 PM

Team's losing players in the expansion draft get a trade exception equal to this years salary.

I don't think there is anyone worth spending that on.

indygeezer
06-22-2004, 04:27 PM
Allows you to take back that amount more in a trade than you give up (ie Take back a 3 mil player while giving up a 2 mil)

Will Galen
06-22-2004, 04:30 PM
Correction. A team with a Team Salary above the Salary Cap will receive a Trade Exception to replace a player (other than a restricted free agent) selected from its unprotected list.

That means if they take Ziggy, no exception.

ChicagoJ
06-22-2004, 04:32 PM
According to Insider, he was one the Bobcats highest choices and they were viewing him as a 'keeper'.

Remember, he's very young and skilled. I'm guessing that many of you would have given up on Rik Smits at the same age. Or Nesterovich. Or Divac. Or Z. Or Jeff Foster/ Mark Blount/ Kelvin Cato/ etc.

It takes big men a long time to transition from the college or Euro league games to being an NBA starter. Just a fact of life.

On the other hand, for perimeter players like James Jones or Brewer: if they were ever going to play, they'd be playing now. Do you really think that if Jones could earn minutes at SF or if Brewer was better than AJ or KA that they'd sit on the injured list that long?

Suaveness
06-22-2004, 04:37 PM
Jones can if Harrington is gone. Fred plays 2, Jones plays 3, Bender plays 4. off the bench. Works for me.

Unclebuck
06-22-2004, 04:38 PM
Remember, he's very young and skilled. I'm guessing that many of you would have given up on Rik Smits at the same age. Or Nesterovich. Or Divac. Or Z. Or Jeff Foster/ Mark Blount/ Kelvin Cato/ etc.
It takes big men a long time to transition from the college or Euro league games to being an NBA starter. Just a fact of life.

On the other hand, for perimeter players like James Jones or Brewer: if they were ever going to play, they'd be playing now. Do you really think that if Jones could earn minutes at SF or if Brewer was better than AJ or KA that they'd sit on the injured list that long?

I don't really care about Brewer, but I like JJ a lot. But Jay, what you are saying is unfair, to expect JJ to get playing time on a 61 win team when there are players such as Ron, AL, Bend....come on.

No way I would have given Rik Smits away, I remmeber seeing his first NBA game and I said right then and there he is a keeper because he was a great shooter. I also remember Foster's first preseason game, and I have liked him ever since. PB has never impressed me, but we'll find out now

Kstat
06-22-2004, 04:39 PM
Not to mention as a rookie Divac started on a 60-win laker team....

ChicagoJ
06-22-2004, 04:41 PM

I said 'at the same age'. If I recall correctly, Divac, like Sabonis, was older than the average rookie when he was a rookie. I might be wrong about that, however...

Kstat
06-22-2004, 04:43 PM

I said 'at the same age'. If I recall correctly, Divac, like Sabonis, was older than the average rookie when he was a rookie. I might be wrong about that, however...

Divac was 21 as a rookie. Sabonis COULD have played in the NBA at age 18, so I doubt he's a good comparison either.

ChicagoJ
06-22-2004, 04:44 PM

I don't really care about Brewer, but I like JJ a lot. But Jay, what you are saying is unfair, to expect JJ to get playing time on a 61 win team when there are players such as Ron, AL, Bend....come on.

No way I would have given Rik Smits away, I remmeber seeing his first NBA game and I said right then and there he is a keeper because he was a great shooter. I also remember Foster's first preseason game, and I have liked him ever since. PB has never impressed me, but we'll find out now

The comment was clearly more applicable to Brewer than JJ. But for a team that desparately needed a shooter, to leave JJ on the injured list says something about thier confidence in him. I could see him as a training camp casualty next fall.

Hoop
06-22-2004, 04:47 PM

I agree UB, Rik was a first team all rookie selection, hardly comparable to PB. Marty Blake predicted he would be THE center of the 90's, didn't quite work to that extent, but Rik was a heck of a player for a long time. Rik played when there were actually good centers in the NBA, Rik in his prime would be a elite center now, not a second tier center like he was then. PB will most likely never be anything.

ChicagoJ
06-22-2004, 04:51 PM

Divac was 21 as a rookie. Sabonis COULD have played in the NBA at age 18, so I doubt he's a good comparison either.

I realized I was wrong when you reminded me that he came along the year after Kareem retired. I had forgotten that he was on that team.

I saw Sabonis play in 1984 in Bloomington. That's one of the reasons why I always :rolleyes: whenever anybody mentions a certain SG as the 'best ever'. Even unable to walk, he was still pretty good for the Blazers during the latter stages of his career.

DisplacedKnick
06-22-2004, 04:51 PM
First Bruno, then Primoz - I don't know if the franchise can survive. :o ;)

Bball
06-22-2004, 04:59 PM
Remember, he's very young and skilled. I'm guessing that many of you would have given up on Rik Smits at the same age.

Wrong.... I'd have given up Rik Smits at any age ;)

-Bball

ChicagoJ
06-22-2004, 05:02 PM
Remember, he's very young and skilled. I'm guessing that many of you would have given up on Rik Smits at the same age.

Wrong.... I'd have given up Rik Smits at any age ;)

-Bball

I knew I'd get that response from somebody. Didn't necessarily expect some of the other responses.

:confused:

Diamond Dave
06-22-2004, 05:02 PM
I'm totally with Kstat here. Brewer brings energy and has at least proven that he can do something in anything other than garbage time. Brezec is just another lanky, tall, scrub of a basketball player that the Pacers perpetually have riding the pine.

Players that are millionaires because they are 7+ feet tall. Not because of basketball skill. If Primoz Brezec was 5'11" would anyone in the US know his name?

SkipperZ
06-22-2004, 05:06 PM
I'm totally with Kstat here. Brewer brings energy and has at least proven that he can do something in anything other than garbage time. Brezec is just another lanky, tall, scrub of a basketball player that the Pacers perpetually have riding the pine.

Players that are millionaires because they are 7+ feet tall. Not because of basketball skill. If Primoz Brezec was 5'11" would anyone in the US know his name?

99% of the US population dont know his name as a 7 footer...

anyways on another note, the bobcats are taking theron smith from memphis. now correct me if im wrong but didnt memphis leave better cheap players unprotected?

Slick Pinkham
06-22-2004, 05:07 PM
First Bruno, then Primoz - I don't know if the franchise can survive. :o ;)

I was thinking exactly the same thing when someone commented that 7-footers with a sweet stroke don't grow on trees.

Primoz is maybe a "poor man's Bruno Sundov"

:o

kerosene
06-22-2004, 06:17 PM
Bye bye PB

Snickers
06-22-2004, 06:22 PM
:devil:

Just got in from work, and all I have to say is....

Man, I'm tired. Chasing a room full of 6 year olds wears a guy out. :neutral:

And something about Primoz too.

Kstat
06-22-2004, 06:33 PM
Bye bye PB

wells, that proves the list hicks posted is false.

Theo Smith can actually play some ball, he'll be the surprise of that team next year.

Hicks
06-22-2004, 06:37 PM
Bye bye PB

Not really, I see no contradictions yet. It just listed 11 they were supposedly taking, it didn't say that's all they were taking.

Kstat
06-22-2004, 06:40 PM
Bye bye PB

Not really, I see no contradictions yet. It just listed 11 they were supposedly taking, it didn't say that's all they were taking.

Your list had them taking Troy Bell Hicks.

If the cats take Theoron Smith from the Griz, they CANT take troy bell.

Hicks
06-22-2004, 06:41 PM
Ah OK. Good catch.

Suaveness
06-22-2004, 06:50 PM
Good riddance. Bye bye Primoz!

beast23
06-22-2004, 06:53 PM
So, between KA and PB we've cleared $2.6M next season.

And, we've gained a $1.55M trade exception to boot.

That's a start.

Oh!!! And good riddance, PB. Don't let the door hit you in the arse on the way out. It might break a tailbone, then we'd be stuck for one more year.

And as for the prior discussion about PB, JJ and Siggy.

Has it occurred to anyone that had Brewer been on the playoff roster instead of Kenny, and if he had been used at critical times and in the right way, maybe we would have disrupted Rip's shooting enough to make the Finals?

Despite the fact that we couldn't hit many outside shots and we had JO and Tinsley injured.

Just a thought.

Snickers
06-22-2004, 06:59 PM
Can somebody who has NBAtv keep us up to date with who gets picked? Pretty please? :sad:

I cancelled my league pass and digital cable subscription after the season, since I really don't care about it except for Pacers games

zxc
06-22-2004, 07:04 PM
Can somebody who has NBAtv keep us up to date with who gets picked? Pretty please? :sad:

I cancelled my league pass and digital cable subscription after the season, since I really don't care about it except for Pacers games

I'm watching, suppose I can. Seems like they are putting on a bit too much of a show for this though. Wading through some boring interviews first 20 mins I guess.

Snickers
06-22-2004, 07:07 PM
Thanks, zxc! :hug:

Will Galen
06-22-2004, 07:10 PM

I'm watching, suppose I can. Seems like they are putting on a bit too much of a show for this though. Wading through some boring interviews first 20 mins I guess.

Same here Snickers.

Thanks ZXC!

I'm waiting patiently. (Refreshing my screen every 10 seconds)

zxc
06-22-2004, 07:13 PM
Still waiting, doing some piece on scouting now it seems. Wish they could just put the list up instead of having to make an hour long show out of it.

Snickers
06-22-2004, 07:17 PM
*fidgets anxiously*

:uhoh:

Hicks
06-22-2004, 07:20 PM
Should be coming up next with some picks. Or the way this thing is going, A pick. :unimpressed:

Kstat
*waits with NBA Live roster update on screen and controller in hand*

zxc
Lonny Baxter from washington first pick

(they are doing it alphabetically)

Kstat
Lonny Baxter from washington first pick

...the only time he'll be a #1 pick of ANYTHING....

zxc
06-22-2004, 07:21 PM
JR Bremer Golden State #2
Primoz Brezec Pacers #3 :(

Hicks
*waits with NBA Live roster update on screen and controller in hand*

Heh I thought about doing that. I probably will when this ends.

Will Galen
Brezac should be next then.

zxc
They talking highly of Primoz here now.

zxc
06-22-2004, 07:23 PM
Hornets - Maurice Carter
Clippers - Predrag Drobnjak
Blazers - Desmond Furgeson

Now time for a commercial break..

Hicks
06-22-2004, 07:25 PM
Grrr, stupid TV guys. It's Preemosh, not Premis.

zxc
06-22-2004, 07:27 PM
Bulls - Marcus Fizer
Seattle - Richie Frahm
Boston - Brandon Hunter

Snickers
06-22-2004, 07:27 PM
1] Lonny Baxter [WAS]
2] JR Bremer [GSW]
3] Peanut Butter [IND]
4] Maurice Carter [NOH]
5] Peja Drobnjak [LAC]
6] Desmond Furgeson [POR]
7] Marcus Fizer [CHI]
8] Richie Frahm [SEA]
9] Brandon Hunter [BOS]

Are they doing this as an actual draft? Or are they just delaying things, to stretch the whole thing out and make me tired and cranky? :confused:

zxc
06-22-2004, 07:28 PM
Just stretching it out to make you tired and cranky, heh.

Hicks
06-22-2004, 07:28 PM
1] Lonny Baxter [WAS]
2] JR Bremer [GSW]
3] Peanut Butter [IND]
4] Maurice Carter [NOH]
5] Peja Drobnjak [LAC]
7] Marcus Fizer [CHI]
8] Richie Frahm [SEA]

Are they doing this as an actual draft? Or are they just delaying things, to stretch the whole thing out and make me tired and cranky? :confused:

They're drawing it out, they have the list in their hands already :laugh:

Don't worry, I think this only goes to the top of the hour, so they can't hold back too long.

Snickers
06-22-2004, 07:29 PM
Just stretching it out to make you tired and cranky, heh.

I figured.

Grr! I'm cranky! :mad:

I need to go think about James Jones to placate myself.

zxc
06-22-2004, 07:29 PM
Cavs - Jason Kapono
Magic - Zaza Pachulia
Jazz - Alexander Pavlovic

Another commercial break then they are gonna have some interviews before restarting ... bah =\

Will Galen
06-22-2004, 07:33 PM
Their GM said that might draft as many as 18. They have 11 now.

zxc
06-22-2004, 07:38 PM
Lakers - Jamaal Sampson
Nets - Tamar Slay
Grizzlies - Theron Smith
Nuggets - Jeff Trepagnier
Kings - Gerald Wallace
Suns - Jahidi White
Heat - Loren Woods

Snickers
06-22-2004, 07:43 PM
1] Lonny Baxter [WAS]
2] JR Bremer [GSW]
3] Peanut Butter [IND]
4] Maurice Carter [NOH]
5] Peja Drobnjak [LAC]
7] Marcus Fizer [CHI]
8] Richie Frahm [SEA]
9] Brandon Hunter [BOS]
10] Jason Kapono [CLE]
11] Zaza Pachulia [ORL]
12] Alexander Pavlovic [UTA]
13] Jamaal Sampson [LAL]
14] Tamar Slay [NJN]
15] Theron Smith [MEM]
16] Jeff Trepagnier [DEN]
17] Gerald Wallace [SAC]
18] Jahidi White [PHO]
19] Loren Woods [MIA]

zxc
06-22-2004, 07:43 PM
Think it's over now. Says they think they are going to keep about 8 of these players.

Primoz.. :cry:

Will Galen
06-22-2004, 07:48 PM
Think it's over now. Says they think they are going to keep about 8 of these players.

Thanks ZXC!

Snickers
06-22-2004, 07:49 PM

Thanks ZXC!

Yes, thanks!! :applaud:

Snickers
06-22-2004, 07:53 PM
Just out of boredom....

C- Brezec/Drobnjak/White/Woods
F- Fizer/Baxter/Hunter/Pachulia/Sampson
F- Wallace/Ferguson/Kapono/Smith
G- Carter/Frahm/Slay/Trepagnier
G- Bremer/

Pavlovic to Cleveland.

Natston
06-22-2004, 08:07 PM
Hey Snickers, It sounded like they weren't going to resign Bremer...

Shade
06-22-2004, 08:10 PM
So, they didn't draft Juwan Howard after all.

Natston
06-22-2004, 08:12 PM

Actually the player that would have botched the trade was Gaines (per ESPNEWS before the draft).

Will Galen
06-22-2004, 08:19 PM

Per 'insider' Howard was protected.

Hoop
06-22-2004, 08:22 PM
1] Lonny Baxter [WAS]
2] JR Bremer [GSW]
3] Peanut Butter [IND]
4] Maurice Carter [NOH]
5] Peja Drobnjak [LAC]
7] Marcus Fizer [CHI]
8] Richie Frahm [SEA]
9] Brandon Hunter [BOS]
10] Jason Kapono [CLE]
11] Zaza Pachulia [ORL]
13] Jamaal Sampson [LAL]
14] Tamar Slay [NJN]
15] Theron Smith [MEM]
17] Gerald Wallace [SAC]
18] Jahidi White [PHO]
19] Loren Woods [MIA]

If people didn't notice players were listed in alphabetical order, nothing to do with which players they wanted most.

MSA2CF
06-22-2004, 08:23 PM
I miss Primoz already.

Snickers
06-22-2004, 08:23 PM
1] Lonny Baxter [WAS]
2] JR Bremer [GSW]
3] Peanut Butter [IND]
4] Maurice Carter [NOH]
5] Peja Drobnjak [LAC]
7] Marcus Fizer [CHI]
8] Richie Frahm [SEA]
9] Brandon Hunter [BOS]
10] Jason Kapono [CLE]
11] Zaza Pachulia [ORL]
13] Jamaal Sampson [LAL]
14] Tamar Slay [NJN]
15] Theron Smith [MEM]
17] Gerald Wallace [SAC]
18] Jahidi White [PHO]
19] Loren Woods [MIA]

If people didn't notice players were listed in alphabetical order, nothing to do with which players they wanted most.

I know, I just numbered them because
1] it made it easier to keep track of how many players were taken
2] I was bored
3] I like numbering things.

:blush:

BostonConnection
06-22-2004, 10:18 PM
This list kinda reminds me of one of Jose's fantasy league teams, except not enough Denver players and no Vlad Stepania... :rolleyes: ;) :D

1] Lonny Baxter [WAS]
2] JR Bremer [GSW]
3] Peanut Butter [IND]
4] Maurice Carter [NOH]
5] Peja Drobnjak [LAC]
7] Marcus Fizer [CHI]
8] Richie Frahm [SEA]
9] Brandon Hunter [BOS]
10] Jason Kapono [CLE]
11] Zaza Pachulia [ORL]
13] Jamaal Sampson [LAL]
14] Tamar Slay [NJN]
15] Theron Smith [MEM]
17] Gerald Wallace [SAC]
18] Jahidi White [PHO]
19] Loren Woods [MIA]

ChicagoJ
06-22-2004, 10:35 PM

The comment was clearly more applicable to Brewer than JJ. But for a team that desparately needed a shooter, to leave JJ on the injured list says something about thier confidence in him. I could see him as a training camp casualty next fall.

Crazy talk.
Who exactly would you have put on the IR instead of JJ??

Kenny Anderson. Scot Pollard.

Hoop
06-22-2004, 10:49 PM
1] Lonny Baxter [WAS]
2] JR Bremer [GSW]
3] Peanut Butter [IND]
4] Maurice Carter [NOH]
5] Peja Drobnjak [LAC]
7] Marcus Fizer [CHI]
8] Richie Frahm [SEA]
9] Brandon Hunter [BOS]
10] Jason Kapono [CLE]
11] Zaza Pachulia [ORL]
13] Jamaal Sampson [LAL]
14] Tamar Slay [NJN]
15] Theron Smith [MEM]
17] Gerald Wallace [SAC]
18] Jahidi White [PHO]
19] Loren Woods [MIA]

I know, I just numbered them because
1] it made it easier to keep track of how many players were taken
2] I was bored
3] I like numbering things.

:blush:

I just used your post for an example, there numbered the same way on all the reports.

Jose Slaughter
06-22-2004, 11:24 PM
This list kinda reminds me of one of Jose's fantasy league teams, except not enough Denver players and no Vlad Stepania... :rolleyes: ;) :D

1] Lonny Baxter [WAS]
2] JR Bremer [GSW]
3] Peanut Butter [IND]
4] Maurice Carter [NOH]
5] Peja Drobnjak [LAC]
7] Marcus Fizer [CHI]
8] Richie Frahm [SEA]
9] Brandon Hunter [BOS]
10] Jason Kapono [CLE]
11] Zaza Pachulia [ORL]
13] Jamaal Sampson [LAL]
14] Tamar Slay [NJN]
15] Theron Smith [MEM]
17] Gerald Wallace [SAC]
18] Jahidi White [PHO]
19] Loren Woods [MIA]

Trying for most humorous poster again, are we? :D

Shade
06-22-2004, 11:35 PM

At one point this season, my fantasy team had Carmelo, Boykins, Lenard, and Rodney White. :laugh:

:nuggets: :love:! :devil: