PDA

View Full Version : PS3?

Robertmto
12-11-2008, 01:43 PM
Anybody selling (or know where i can get) a cheap PS3?

I kinda want one that is backwards compatible, but apparently those are rather expensive, idc about how many gigs it is.

Help me out PD

CableKC
12-11-2008, 08:12 PM
You would have to look for either the 60GB ( which they no longer sell ) or the 80GB version of the PS3. Those versions of the PS3 have an emulator software to run most of the PS2 games. The 40GB version doesn't have backward compatibility.

As to where to get it for cheap....there really isn't anywhere unless you go to CraigsList or EBay. The best that you can probably find is whatever deals that stores are having now for Christmas sales.

Natston
12-11-2008, 08:16 PM
I have one that needs to be repaired, so it would be really cheap...

Shade
12-11-2008, 09:16 PM
I wasn't aware that the 40 GB model isn't backwards compatible. Interesting.

Ownagedood
12-11-2008, 09:28 PM

Ya, I have the 40 GB, I don't need the space and backwards compatible wasn't THAT important to me.

But overall, ya, you should pursue getting a PS3, I have had almost every system and I will say the PS3 is probably the best. (360 just breaks too much)

theboyjwo
12-12-2008, 12:32 PM
I'm gonna let you guys in on a little secret..... PS3 for $249!
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&categoryId=8198552921644604396&XID=A:1563982:10610388:0100q302aje347:CJ

Robertmto
12-12-2008, 12:36 PM
it sucks you have to be approved....i have zero credit

duke dynamite
12-12-2008, 03:56 PM
Mine is the 40 GIG one. I hate it. I have no games, and would rather have a standalone BD Player for it. I've been wanting to sell it.

$300 bucks, all the manuals, cables, one controller, Bluetooth remote control.

Ya, I have the 40 GB, I don't need the space and backwards compatible wasn't THAT important to me.

But overall, ya, you should pursue getting a PS3, I have had almost every system and I will say the PS3 is probably the best. (360 just breaks too much)
Let's honestly not go there...it's a battle you'll never win.

Ownagedood
12-12-2008, 05:53 PM
Let's honestly not go there...it's a battle you'll never win.
Lol, well.. you have your own preference, but when you look at the full picture, the PS3 is better. Its gaming is practically all the same(360 with slight edge).. PS3's are much more dependable.. But a huge difference is in the Blue Ray player..

Robertmto
12-12-2008, 07:07 PM
Mine is the 40 GIG one. I hate it. I have no games, and would rather have a standalone BD Player for it. I've been wanting to sell it.

$300 bucks, all the manuals, cables, one controller, Bluetooth remote control.

how long is that sale goin???? lol

Shade
12-12-2008, 07:32 PM
360s are horribly, horribly built. I know two friends who have one, and in both cases, they don't work the vast majority of the time.

Working PS3 >>>>> spotty 360

duke dynamite
12-13-2008, 11:33 AM
how long is that sale goin???? lol
It's the duke dynamite Special!

duke dynamite
12-13-2008, 11:41 AM
Lol, well.. you have your own preference, but when you look at the full picture, the PS3 is better. Its gaming is practically all the same(360 with slight edge).. PS3's are much more dependable.. But a huge difference is in the Blue Ray player..
I have all three of the new systems. Out of all of those, my Xbox 360 is the one that is used the most. The Wii collects dust, and The Dark Knight Blu-Ray is the first thing that is compatible with my PS3 that I've bought since...heck, a very long time.

Yes, the 360 has had it's issues, but for some reason people didn't really make too big of a deal with the launch PS3s catching on fire. I hope you guys just missed that, because just because something has the latest and greatest hardware, it doesn't mean it's the most functional.

Blu Ray hasn't caught on yet, so that arguement can be thrown out. Average price for a Blu-Ray movie is close to $24.99-$29.99. With the struggling economy, people are going to spend less on entertainment, which makes it even more useless.

Third party games, fine. That's good and all, but Sony Computer Entertainment has really not done it's job working on providing quality titles with excellent replay value. LittleBigPlanet may be that game, but it isn't selling like Sony told us it would.

Black Friday sales listed the Xbox 360 outselling the PS3 3:1. Now if something with that many problems, something so faulty and "crappy", why hasn't the public caught on? Saying that the 360 has "too many problems" is not a valid arguement.

If the system is so far superior, and so much better, and "reliable", why are it's sales in the toilet?

From CNN Money, Dated December 12, 2008:

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/siliconalley/personal-tech/2008_12_sonys_ps3_a_sinking_ship_sales_plummet_sne .html

Sony's (SNE) PS3 is dying on the shelves.
Alone among the three major videogame consoles, sales of the PS3 are down about 19% from November 2007, according to the latest stats from the NPD Group. Sony was only able to sell 378,000 PS3s this November, compared to 466,000 last year.
And the problem for Sony isn't the recession, it's the PS3. Microsoft (MSFT) put up respectable numbers with its Xbox 360, selling 836,000 units vs 777,000 in November 2007. And Nintendo's (NTDOY) Wii continues to dominate the market, more than doubling sales from 981,000 to 2.04 million.

So why is the PS3 flopping so badly?
It's the most expensive console on the market, $150 - $200 more than its rivals. Even if you believe the video game industry is "recession-proof" (it isn't), a tanking economy makes consumers more price-conscious.
The PS3's big bonus is its ability to double as a Blu-Ray player. Too bad no one seems to care about hi-def DVDs. (http://www.alleyinsider.com/2008/5/sony_s_blu_ray_win_not_paying_off_yet_americans_lo ve_their_old_dvd_players) The differences between Blu-Ray and DVD are hard to see on a TV less than 50".
The PS3 just doesn't have any must-have titles exclusive to the console. "LittleBigPlanet" has generated decent buzz but isn't a game-changer, and neither is Sony's new virtual world "Home." (http://www.alleyinsider.com/2008/12/sony-tries-virtual-world-advertising-on-ps3-unlike-second-life-it-even-might-work-sne)
There's really only one option left for Sony to remain in the game: deep price cuts, and not just for people with good credit (http://www.alleyinsider.com/2008/11/sony-cuts-ps3-prices-by-150-if-you-have-good-credit-sne-). Tell yourself the PS3 has superior graphics if it makes you feel better, but a $400 console with a mediocre game library simply cannot compete against an Xbox 360 priced at $200 in this economy.

Shade
12-13-2008, 11:57 AM
I have a launch PS3 and have never had any issues with it's functionality. And considering my reputation for non-functional electronic devices, that says a lot.

The 360, OTOH, is still producing units, well after launch, with serious read issues.

Shade
12-13-2008, 12:02 PM
As for this:

So why is the PS3 flopping so badly?Um...it isn't. The only thing truly hurting its sales, IMO, is the price in a struggling economy.

It's the most expensive console on the market, $150 - $200 more than its rivals. Even if you believe the video game industry is "recession-proof" (it isn't), a tanking economy makes consumers more price-conscious.There's no arguing this, though prices are starting to drop.

The PS3's big bonus is its ability to double as a Blu-Ray player. Too bad no one seems to care about hi-def DVDs. (http://www.alleyinsider.com/2008/5/sony_s_blu_ray_win_not_paying_off_yet_americans_lo ve_their_old_dvd_players) The differences between Blu-Ray and DVD are hard to see on a TV less than 50".Spoken by someone who obviously doesn't have a PS3/HDTV. My HDTV is only 35" and the difference in quality between Blu-Rays and DVDs is VERY noticable. Also note that PS3 upconverts standard DVDs, giving them better visual quality than they would generate on standard DVD players.

And enough people obviously care about Blu-Rays to keep the market flowing with a steady release of both new and old titles. Almost every movie that releases in DVD releases simultaneously in Blu-Ray.

The PS3 just doesn't have any must-have titles exclusive to the console. "LittleBigPlanet" has generated decent buzz but isn't a game-changer, and neither is Sony's new virtual world "Home." (http://www.alleyinsider.com/2008/12/sony-tries-virtual-world-advertising-on-ps3-unlike-second-life-it-even-might-work-sne)That is strictly a matter of opinion. IMO, if you're not much of an online gamer (as I'm not), the PS3 boasts the superior gaming library. Though, to be honest, all three systems are somewhat lacking in that category ATM. This has been one of the more lackluster gaming seasons in recent memory.

Plus it makes me all warm and fuzzy knowing I'm contributing as little as possible to the Microsoft juggernaut. :D

Robertmto
12-13-2008, 12:42 PM
It's the duke dynamite Special!

i would love to get this, but ill prolyl have to wait till after xmas

duke dynamite
12-13-2008, 03:36 PM
i would love to get this, but ill prolyl have to wait till after xmas
I'll most likely will still have it...

Robertmto
12-13-2008, 03:49 PM
hopefully

duke dynamite
12-13-2008, 05:42 PM
hopefully
I haven't told anyone else about my desire to sell it.

Robertmto
12-13-2008, 07:17 PM
except for the millions upon millions of pd lurkers ;)

duke dynamite
12-15-2008, 01:20 AM
except for the millions upon millions of pd lurkers ;)
I can save it. :P

Robertmto
12-31-2008, 04:29 PM
is it still available duke?

duke dynamite
12-31-2008, 04:43 PM
It is still collecting dust.

(Which I take a static rag to twice a week.)

Robertmto
12-31-2008, 04:48 PM
lol, nice touch

check ur pms

Trader Joe
12-31-2008, 11:43 PM
I bought a 360 elite, and it pwns.

duke dynamite
01-01-2009, 03:40 AM
I bought a 360 elite, and it pwns.
X2

Ownagedood
01-03-2009, 12:02 AM
Forgot about this thread :)

Blu Ray hasn't caught on yet, so that arguement can be thrown out. Average price for a Blu-Ray movie is close to $24.99-$29.99. With the struggling economy, people are going to spend less on entertainment, which makes it even more useless.

Ever heard of renting? Thats what i do for blu-ray's. The difference is worth it.

Black Friday sales listed the Xbox 360 outselling the PS3 3:1. Now if something with that many problems, something so faulty and "crappy", why hasn't the public caught on? Saying that the 360 has "too many problems" is not a valid arguement.

If the system is so far superior, and so much better, and "reliable", why are it's sales in the toilet?

Thats simple. Its too expensive for people's tastes, so they go with the cheaper one, even though it means less of a system.

duke dynamite
01-03-2009, 12:30 AM
Forgot about this thread :)

Ever heard of renting? Thats what i do for blu-ray's. The difference is worth it.

Thats simple. Its too expensive for people's tastes, so they go with the cheaper one, even though it means less of a system.
1. I rent Blu-Ray discs from Netflix. Heck, I just bought Wall-E tonight for $19.99 at Target on Blu-Ray. My friend got me a copy of Cars on Blu-Ray for Christmas (which I had on DVD, but I like the picture quality.).

2. The 360 isn't less of a system if you just look at game play. Yes, it is cheaper because it doesn't have a BD-Player or built-in wireless, but its what everyone wants obviously, and there are no objections because it is still selling 3-to-1. And that is even with everyone knowing about the RROD errors and the lack of BD capability. Face it, the PS3 just can't compare. Microsoft has done their homework, and made a console just about everyone likes.

The PS3 is too expensive because Sony thinks that everyone owns an HDTV (Yes, many people do now.). That and not everyone needs a Gigabit ethernet port on their console. They are NOT futureproofing their system. Residential gigabit capabilites are long away in the future from now, not to mention the multi-card reader. Finally, they couldn't even get their controller situation straight, and couldn't launch with a Dual-Shock controller!

There is no way you could call the Xbox 360 far less superior. The numbers don't lie.

Erik
01-04-2009, 09:44 AM
An opinion from someone who is just a casual gamer, who has had both systems, is that the PS3 is better. Alot of the pluses have already been mentioned, but I'll state the fact that the console itself even looks better than the Xbox and the controllers are more lightweight and sleek looking. I've even had a few older family members comment on how much they liked the PS3 after they've seen all that it can do (I have alot of movies and family photos downloaded on it), and they never looked twice at my 360. I don't think either one is a great deal better than the other, people just like them for different reasons. But I will say that I find it hard to believe that Xbox is outselling 3:1. It may true, but it suprises me. Anyway, since we're here, if anyone wants to play COD4 on the PS3 send me a friend request (earaik33).

duke dynamite
01-05-2009, 10:52 AM
An opinion from someone who is just a casual gamer, who has had both systems, is that the PS3 is better. Alot of the pluses have already been mentioned, but I'll state the fact that the console itself even looks better than the Xbox and the controllers are more lightweight and sleek looking. I've even had a few older family members comment on how much they liked the PS3 after they've seen all that it can do (I have alot of movies and family photos downloaded on it), and they never looked twice at my 360. I don't think either one is a great deal better than the other, people just like them for different reasons. But I will say that I find it hard to believe that Xbox is outselling 3:1. It may true, but it suprises me. Anyway, since we're here, if anyone wants to play COD4 on the PS3 send me a friend request (earaik33).
http://www.informationweek.com/news/personal_tech/peripherals/showArticle.jhtml;jsessionid=F4VZHZCQEUG3GQSNDLOSK H0CJUNN2JVN?articleID=212201361&_requestid=448326

BTW: I stream photos and videos on my Xbox 360 with no problems at all. I also like the fact that if the batteries die in my controller, I can replace them without having to purchase an entire new controller. The controllers may be lighter, but those are the ones without DualShock.

Shade
01-05-2009, 11:46 AM
I have played both systems a good deal, and I just prefer the PS3. If I were an online gamer, it may be a different story, but for local play, the PS3 is king.

duke dynamite
01-05-2009, 12:20 PM
I have played both systems a good deal, and I just prefer the PS3. If I were an online gamer, it may be a different story, but for local play, the PS3 is king.
If this were the case I'd still prefer PC.

GrangerRanger
01-07-2009, 01:40 AM
I got the RROD today. :(

travmil
01-07-2009, 02:30 AM
I have a friend who uses his Xbox 360 basically as his cable box. When the guy from Comcast came to pick up the box and he saw the Xbox running his cable through his network and to his TV, along with streaming video, pictures and music from his PC harddrive, he was blown away. He said he was glad not everyone knew how to do that or Comcast wouldn't make a dime renting their cable boxes. The Xbox 360 media center actually blows away the various PS3 options. I have both systems, and outside of a few exclusives (Ratchet and Clank, LittleBigPlanet) I play the 360 more. When a game is available for both systems I play the 360 version.