PDA

View Full Version : It's a small world...

idioteque
12-10-2008, 09:52 PM
So I am sitting at my job that I put in my two weeks notice for today (because I got a much better job suited to my major) and a guy comes in asking if we are hiring, I say yes since I just put in my two weeks. I ask him a little about himself and he tells me he did one year of undergrad in the US and three years in Israel. I asked him what school in Israel and he mentioned a school that an old ex of mine ended up transferring to when she moved to Israel a few years ago. I mentioned her name, he looked at me like I was crazy, and asked me what my name is. He was the guy I had heard all about :rolleyes: that she dated after me. What are the chances I ever even meet this guy?

PS the girl was nuts and if he could have stood her for as long as he did, hell yes I'm referring him to my manager.

Very weird. Anyone else have any story like this?

Shade
12-10-2008, 10:50 PM
I still think it was funny when I introduced Gamble to PD, and when he went to his first forum party, he met indygeezer, who is actually his uncle.

avoidingtheclowns
12-11-2008, 04:44 AM
well on the same day in dc you gave your two weeks, i was informed i was part of npr's 7 percent reduction (http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=98095326). not sure if that fits better into "small world" or "rain on your wedding day".

idioteque
12-11-2008, 11:45 AM
That sucks, ATC. I hope that they gave you some sufficient notice. If you really can't find anything in the near future and are willing to work (high-end, decent paying) retail PM me and I will see what I can do.

Putnam
12-11-2008, 01:02 PM
Anyone else have any story like this?

I've got two.

1. Three Peace Corps volunteers riding across West Africa on motorcycles in 1985 crashed for a night on the floor of another PCV (my future wife) who was living in the town of Gbarnga, Liberia. Four months later, one of those three walked into a coffee shop in Seattle and commented to the guy behind the counter about the African music he's playing. He mentioned his recent trip. The counter guy says he's got a cousin in West Africa. What are the chances of that guy stopping at my wife place, and then finding her cousin nearly 6,000 miles away?

2. I was volunteering to rehab houses in Des Moines Iowa after a big flood in 1993. In morning, I was alone in a house, taping drywall when an electrician drove up and came in. He looked around and saw that the electrical work in that house was finished and he was in the wrong place. But instead of leaving he hung around and talked. He said he was from Grand Rapids. I said I was from Indianapolis. And then he just blurted out, "My son lives in Indianapolis and works with Jim S_______." Jim was a good friend of mine. What were the odds that we'd have a common acquaintance, or that the first name out of his mouth would be that guy?

The really is a small world, and the more you move around, the smaller it gets.