PDA

View Full Version : Should IU fire Lynch?

pwee31
12-08-2008, 11:29 PM
I understand the aftermatch of the unfortunately passing of coach Hep and wanting to give the guy a shot after keeping the troops together to make a bowl last year, but do you really think Lynch can turn the program around?

I certainly don't. I say you cut the ties early and try bringing in someone else to ignite the program like Hep was in the process of doing.

I'm not sure how big a name you can get to come to IU, but there are names out there that I would take a look at... even if it's a pipe dream.

Tuberville, Tommy Bowden, Brady Hoke, Fullmer.

Not saying you can get any of them, but i think it would be worth a call at least.

At least the Brady Hoke type of coach, where it's a coach who's won for mid majors, and developed talent for the mid major program, as well as beat tougher competition from time to time.

Bball
12-09-2008, 12:03 AM
I'm not sure why IU gave Lynch the contract they did. But in any case, as much as you could argue that he's already under contract and deserves a chance to recruit his own players and build his own program, I don't think the university can afford to let him try. I think it's been painfully clear for a while that Lynch is not able to get it done at IU.

He was a sympathy hire and the easy hire... at the time. But if you backtrack to before Hep was hired, would Lynch have been on the short list then? I doubt it.

That stigma will dog him in recruiting battles (other coaches will point out to potential recruits that IU's coaching situation is far from settled). Even if they don't, friends, teammates, and family will point it out.

And between that and questionable coaching abilities in the first place, how soon before he becomes a lame-duck coach that can't command the attention of the team? Rallying around the memory of coach Hep was a short-lived phenomena and Lynch was unable to take advantage of it past last season.

Honestly, he's already a lame duck coach. The clock is ticking. The only question is just how much baggage will IU let accumulate before doing the inevitable and letting him go? Will they waste all of next season? Will they give him some of the following season before pulling the plug and wasting that season too? And of course all of those situations put the NEXT coach behind the 8 ball on recruiting.

I'm a firm believer that when it becomes time for a coaching change, you have to bite the bullet and do it.

I don't think IU is going to grab a big name coach. They need to take a chance with an up and comer and/or mid-major coach who has the energy and enthusiasm to rebuild this program from the ground up and who at least sees IU as a stepping stone into the Big Ten.

Big Smooth
12-09-2008, 12:57 AM
I hate to shatter the dream here but Fred Glass has already stated that Bill Lynch will be the head coach for the 2009 season. Now I don't believe he will survive the 2009 season as head coach barring an unexpected result but no change is forthcoming in the off season here.

grace
12-09-2008, 02:58 AM
I think they should give him another year.

Bball
12-09-2008, 03:12 AM
I think they should give him another year.

I think the problem is, if you give him next year (which I'm sure they will), you almost have to give him another so that he can say he had a fair shot at recruiting HIS players into HIS system and developing them. You're basically committing yourself to that.

I have no faith in Lynch being the man so I just see those as being wasted years forestalling any hope of any kind of turnaround for a few years. The next coach will have to deal with Lynch's players and system and need time to begin his own recruitments and shift the program his direction.

Since86
12-09-2008, 09:37 AM
I think the problem is, if you give him next year (which I'm sure they will), you almost have to give him another so that he can say he had a fair shot at recruiting HIS players into HIS system and developing them. You're basically committing yourself to that.

I have no faith in Lynch being the man so I just see those as being wasted years forestalling any hope of any kind of turnaround for a few years. The next coach will have to deal with Lynch's players and system and need time to begin his own recruitments and shift the program his direction.

Well she's a Purdue fan, I believe, so that would explain her rationale.

I tried telling all of you last year that he's a horrible coach, but you wouldn't listen. He ran Ball State into the ground, leading them into a 21 game losing streak. I'll admit that during his tenure here he had his back against the wall due to facilities and recruiting standards, but they were consistantly atop the MAC before him, and even won the MAC in his second year. He totally drove the team into the ground when he got a chance to coach players he brought in. If IU was smart, they would get rid of him ASAP before he has that chance there.

Then again, like Grace, I hope they hold on to him for the next 10yrs. It was too funny to be out in Bloomington the night of the BSU game. I had so many discussions prior to the game about how good IU was gonna be, and watching the same people mope around like their dog just died was priceless.

Shade
12-09-2008, 11:24 AM
The day IU gave Lynch his extension, I said that it was a huge mistake and IU would immediately go back into the toilet, which it did.

Hell yes, they should fire him. Just another in a long line of dumb moves by Greenspan.

travmil
12-09-2008, 12:15 PM
You can forget Hoke. Auburn is after him and IU won't be able to compete with that kind of money.

ChicagoJ
12-09-2008, 12:40 PM
Yes. But how many basketball and football coaches can they afford to pay? The A.D. is already broke.

Agree with Shade, the moment I heard about Lynch's contract was the same moment I said, "wow, big mistake."

pwee31
12-09-2008, 03:51 PM
Yeah I didn't think he did too well at BSU but I couldn't recall. I understand the reason behind keeping him around, but that reason has come and gone for me.

As an IU fan, it's gonna be hard to get a taste of the bowl experience, only to be right back at the bottom for years to come.

I just don't think Lynch will get the job done, and so I also feel like it's time to bite the bullet and bring in someone who wants a shot in a big conference.

I know some of the names I mentioned were just pipe dreams, but there's many mid-major or jobless coaches out there that I feel can coach.

And I think the coach at Buffalo (Turner) will get selected over Hoke. Just my opinion

Since86
12-09-2008, 04:20 PM
You can forget Hoke. Auburn is after him and IU won't be able to compete with that kind of money.

Despite what ESPN keeps reporting, he's not been in contact with any other programs (He's publicly denied it, and it will be a few more seasons before he gets any thing real solid. He's coaching record is still well short of .500. This is only his second winning season.

Especially with Nate coming back next season, he will definately be back in Muncie for another year. He's also said money isn't a real big motivator for him. He wants to see BSU step up and give better money to his staff and upgrade some facilities before he wants a better contract from us.

You should hear the man speak. He's very down to earth, and bleeds Ball State red and white. (He's from Muncie, played here, met his wife at BSU, both his and her family graduated from here, his nephew plays on the team etc.)

A few other sources are trying to say Brady has interest in Syracuse and Sad Diego State. Both are just laughable scenarios.

travmil
12-09-2008, 05:11 PM
I don't doubt that the man is humble and down to earth. But if and when an SEC school comes calling that is a call that you might only get to answer once in your career. I compare it to Lickleiter leaving Butler for Iowa. By all accounts, Lickleiter loved it at Butler and had some success there obviously. But a mid major coach isn't guaranteed to get multiple chances to jump to that next tier. I'm sure that Lickleiter agonized over the decision, but he just couldn't pass up an opportunity that may never present itself again. I don't doubt that Hoke loves it at Ball State, but I would have to believe that if Auburn did offer him a job he'd think long and hard about it before returning to BSU.

grace
12-09-2008, 08:16 PM
Well she's a Purdue fan, I believe, so that would explain her rationale.

Maybe that has something to do with it, but explain to me why I think Notre Dame should fire Charlie Weis.

jeffg-body
12-09-2008, 11:23 PM
I hate to agree, but maybe the time is now for that coaching change. Lynch was an emotional promotion and extension because of all that Hepp did for the school and him being on that staff. If IU really wants to be competitive in the big 10 they need to bring in a young fresh faced coach and give that coach time to recruit and develop players to fit the particular style that they intend to play. I look to a young coach because they tend to have the ability to build rapport with players and recruits where an older coach may seem more authoritorian. I like Hoke myself and I think Auburn will go more with Turner because of the style he coaches.

Bball
12-10-2008, 03:34 AM
I tried telling all of you last year that he's a horrible coach, but you wouldn't listen.

Don't include me in that group. I was against the hire/extension. I could understand naming him interim HC before Hepp's passing but the extension was a bad decision.

Since86
12-10-2008, 12:28 PM
Maybe that has something to do with it, but explain to me why I think Notre Dame should fire Charlie Weis.

Because he's a prick who fell from the Belichick coaching tree, who thinks he's smarter than he really is?

grace
12-10-2008, 03:08 PM
Because he's a prick who fell from the Belichick coaching tree, who thinks he's smarter than he really is?

:ding:

Shade
12-10-2008, 05:27 PM
Can't argue with that logic. :shrug:

travmil
12-15-2008, 11:24 AM
Looks like Hoke is headed out. San Diego State University. It's a rebuilding job, they went 2-10 this season. However, it's in the WAC with Boise St. SDSU has some history, Marshall Faulk came out of that program and they have produced some current NFL talent. Word is they offered him $700k which is WAAY above anything BSU could have offered. They obviously have better weather, and they play in an NFL stadium. I even bet Brady will have his own office. If he succeeds there, he'll be able to use it as a stepping stone to a BCS conference job. Good for Brady. Maybe this will teach BSU that if you want to play with the big boys you should spend at least a little bit of money.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3768737

Shade
12-15-2008, 11:37 AM
Further proof that money > everything to most people.

duke dynamite
12-15-2008, 11:41 AM
/sarcasm

Firing your coach solves all your problems.

Shade
12-15-2008, 11:48 AM
Firing your coach solves all your problems.

/sarcasm

Fixed. ;)

duke dynamite
12-15-2008, 11:52 AM
Fixed. ;)
Geeze you could've just edited my post for me...lol

travmil
12-15-2008, 11:52 AM
Further proof that money > everything to most people.

It's better situation in so many more ways than money though. Yes it's more money, but they also have a better stadium, better facilities (with an ofice!), better competition in a better conference, better weather and in turn better recruits. Yes all of that stufff takes money but it's more than just about the money the coach will be making. It's also about the money that the University is willing to spend on the program as a whole, and BSU was either unable or unwilling to make an investment substantial enough to make a difference.

Shade
12-15-2008, 11:55 AM
Geeze you could've just edited my post for me...lol

But then I'd be accused of abusing my power... :whistle:

Anyway, in this case, firing Lynch is absolutely the right thing to do (actually, the right thing to do would have been not to extend him in the first place), even if it doesn't "solve all of our problems." The guy is one of the absolute worst coaches I've ever seen at any level in any sport.

duke dynamite
12-15-2008, 12:03 PM

Heaven forbid...lol

Since86
12-15-2008, 12:27 PM
It's better situation in so many more ways than money though. Yes it's more money, but they also have a better stadium, better facilities (with an ofice!), better competition in a better conference, better weather and in turn better recruits. Yes all of that stufff takes money but it's more than just about the money the coach will be making. It's also about the money that the University is willing to spend on the program as a whole, and BSU was either unable or unwilling to make an investment substantial enough to make a difference.

From what the talk is around town, Hoke wanted the U to invest in his assistant coaches and build offices in the football complex, more than anything. Hoke's initial request for himself was $400,000, and the U came back with $350,000 with a annual $110,000 raise, so IMHO that's within reason.

It makes me sick to my stomach thinking about how little the university has done to try and retain him. (We do have football offices. Their in the athletics complex with all the other coaches offices, but it's almost a mile from there to the football stadium, which holds the video offices, weight room, etc.) It also makes me sick after listening to him talk sat. afternoon at the mens basketball game. (He even had 5 recruits on hand with him)

Both the university president, Dr. Jo Ann Gora, and the AD, Tom Collins, should be terminated immediately. Their lists of horrible decision making, and situation handling, is officially too long to over come. Show their asses to the curb.

Pig Nash
12-16-2008, 05:21 AM

Anyway, in this case, firing Lynch is absolutely the right thing to do (actually, the right thing to do would have been not to extend him in the first place), even if it doesn't "solve all of our problems." The guy is one of the absolute worst coaches I've ever seen at any level in any sport.

I love Dakich's new radio show, but I think he and his middle school girls might have something to say about that.