PDA

View Full Version : "As of tonight, we have every intention of selecting a player from Indiana,

Kstat
06-22-2004, 02:44 AM
http://www.indystar.com/articles/8/156862-9828-179.html

Bobcats likely to pick from Pacers' roster

By Mark Montieth
mark.montieth@indystar.com
June 22, 2004

The Indiana Pacers' roster likely will shrink today when Charlotte makes its selections in the NBA expansion draft.

Bobcats coach and general manager Bernie Bickerstaff said Monday he will draft one of the unprotected Pacers, barring a last-minute change of heart.

"As of tonight, we have every intention of selecting a player from Indiana," Bickerstaff said in a conference call on Monday.

League rules prevented Bickerstaff from revealing his selections, which must be sent to the league office by noon today. The expansion draft will be shown live at 6 p.m. on NBA TV.

Pacers CEO Donnie Walsh said he did not know the Bobcats' plans.

Restricted free agent Jamison Brewer is the most logical Pacer to be selected. Restricted free agents become unrestricted free agents if they are selected, meaning they can sign with any team. Offers to restricted free agents can be matched by the player's previous team.

Bickerstaff has stated he wants to draft some restricted free agents to lessen the Bobcats' financial obligations for next season. They are required to select at least 14 players but don't want to carry that many contracts.

"We were pleased with the number of restricted free agents on the (unprotected) list," Bickerstaff said.

Charlotte also acquired the No. 2 selection in Thursday's NBA draft, and could become a player in a deal between Orlando and Houston involving Tracy McGrady.

Orlando reportedly agreed to trade McGrady, Juwan Howard, Tyronn Lue and Andrew DeClercq to Houston for Steve Francis, Cuttino Mobley and Kelvin Cato.

Charlotte would have to agree not to select Howard, Mobley or Cato in the expansion draft for the deal to work.

The Bobcats traded the fourth and 33rd picks in the draft to the Los Angeles Clippers for the second pick and center Peja Drobinak. Emeka Okafor and Dwight Howard are projected to be the top selections Thursday. Charlotte hopes to have both players in for workouts. After it decides which player it prefers, the Magic could agree to draft the other.

"We've been in conversation with the Magic," Bickerstaff said. "They're good listeners, and we're good facilitators."

The Pacers tried to get involved in a trade for McGrady. Walsh discussed possibilities with Magic general manager John Weisbrod last week, but Weisbrod had not called Walsh back as of Monday.

Anthony Johnson, the Pacers' backup point guard last season, exercised his option to become a free agent on Monday, therefore removing himself from the candidates for today's expansion draft.

Are the Pacers interested in re-signing Johnson?

"Oh, yeah," Walsh said.

The other Pacers available to the Bobcats are Primoz Brezec, Austin Croshere, James Jones and Scot Pollard.

Brezec and Jones might be attractive because of their low salaries and short-term contracts. Charlotte is not expected to draft high-salaried players such as Croshere or Pollard.

"It's not likely at all," Bickerstaff said.

Kstat
06-22-2004, 02:45 AM
I think they'll take Jamison Brewer.

Anthem
06-22-2004, 02:49 AM
You know, I never thought of that as a strategy. I'd have to go back and rework Jose's threads.

From that perspective, Jam Brewer makes a lot of sense. They can select him, work him out to see if he's their type, then cut him with no financial hardship. Clever.

I'll be pretty jazzed if we keep both Primoz and JJ.

Cactus Jax
06-22-2004, 03:44 AM
http://www.indystar.com/articles/8/156862-9828-179.html
The Bobcats traded the fourth and 33rd picks in the draft to the Los Angeles Clippers for the second pick and center Peja Drobinak. Emeka Okafor and Dwight Howard are projected to be the top selections Thursday. Charlotte hopes to have both players in for workouts. After it decides which player it prefers, the Magic could agree to draft the other.

"We've been in conversation with the Magic," Bickerstaff said. "They're good listeners, and we're good facilitators."

The Bobcats are laying the bribes on the Magic :devil:. I like it. it seems from this that they practically will get the #1 choice. Somehow though, Orlando will say :finger: and take whoever they want.

This top pick will be interesting as there isn't really a clear cut favorite now.

wintermute
06-22-2004, 05:26 AM
The Bobcats are laying the bribes on the Magic :devil:. I like it. it seems from this that they practically will get the #1 choice. Somehow though, Orlando will say :finger: and take whoever they want.

according to the tmac to houston report, there's still a chance for the bobcats to screw up the tmac deal. in which case, it would make sense for orlando to bribe charlotte by agreeing to leave their desired player (okafor) available for charlotte at #2. i fully expect orlando to pick dwight howard, charlotte will pick okafor, and the tmac deal will go through.

i doubt brewer is the bobcats' target on the pacers though. if it's just a rfa they're after, there are many other rfa's they could pick. why siggy? he's a bit of a niche player. james jones should be attractive except that there are many other good wing players available. brezec or nobody, is my guess.

TheSauceMaster
06-22-2004, 06:43 AM
PB is my guess also

Suaveness
06-22-2004, 09:23 AM
If they take Brewer or PB, I wouldn't care. As long as they don't take JJ.

DisplacedKnick
06-22-2004, 09:30 AM
I've been thinking all along it'd be Anthony Johnson as a backup PG.

sixthman
06-22-2004, 10:01 AM
In Charlotte, James Jones has received the hype. Since there is no need to play games with the pick, I think the Bobcats will take Jones and, if not Jones, then Brewer. For reasons already mentioned.

The Bobcats already have locked themselves into Drobniak and Jahidi White (although White could be waived). I don't think it's Primoz.

(This post probably assures Primoz will be picked.

MSA2CF
06-22-2004, 10:03 AM
If Primoz is taken, I'm going to buy his Bobcats jersey.

Suaveness
06-22-2004, 10:04 AM
If Primoz is taken, I'm going to buy his Bobcats jersey. :laugh:

Will you buy me one too?

ChicagoJ
06-22-2004, 10:05 AM
(This post probably assures Primoz will be picked.)

:banghead:

Suaveness
06-22-2004, 10:05 AM
(This post probably assures Primoz will be picked.)

:banghead:

:devil:

MSA2CF
06-22-2004, 10:06 AM

Will you buy me one too?

:flirt: Coitenly....:nyuknyuknyuk:

Suaveness
06-22-2004, 10:07 AM

Will you buy me one too?

:flirt: Coitenly....:nyuknyuknyuk: :laugh:

MSA2CF
06-22-2004, 10:11 AM

Will you buy me one too?

http://www.msd.k12.or.us/schools/mhs/department/main/pp/sounds/pwlaugh.wav

Suaveness
06-22-2004, 10:12 AM

Will you buy me one too?

:rotflmao:

Betta'?

MSA2CF
06-22-2004, 10:18 AM
Hey Sauve, you quoted the sound, so edit your post and delete it, or else it plays it twice at the same time and it sounds scary.

Snickers
06-22-2004, 10:35 AM
:wave:

And that's all I need to say. That wave embodies all my feelings about the potential loss of Peanut Butter, and resulting retainment of James Jones. Though I appreciate Primoz's contributions to this team and the overall height of the bench, I am confident James will be able to fill his shoes. Metaphorically speaking, since Primoz wears something like a size 18.

Gotta fit his big, slow feet into those shoes. Silly Primoz. :laugh:

Suaveness
06-22-2004, 10:38 AM
Backup pg's that can't shoot are pretty dang cheap.
7' centers that can shoot aren't.
Bye Primoz :(

Hasn't shot well whenever I've seen him. Oh well.

Bye Primoz :dance:

MSA2CF
06-22-2004, 10:38 AM

What does James have that Primoz doesn't? Well, I guess a better question would be: Why let Primoz go, not James?

Snickers
06-22-2004, 11:08 AM

What does James have that Primoz doesn't? Well, I guess a better question would be: Why let Primoz go, not James?

James has more intelligent fans, for one thing. :D

As far as why we should keep James over Primoz, Primoz may be able to be a servicable backup big man if given a chance. James could be a versatile backup swingman if given the chance. He's simply got more skills than Primoz.

I realise we need more help at the 5 than at the 3, but neither of these guys is a key to our success, so why not take the more talented one? After all, Primoz couldn't get minutes over Scot Pollard, and Scot could barely get minutes over Joe Qatato.

JJ is a really cool guy in person, too. Primoz has a funny accent and makes everybody feel really short. :mad:

SkipperZ
06-22-2004, 03:11 PM
i promise everyone, whether they select brewer, or james jones, or primoz brezec, it will have no bearing whatsoever on the outcome of next season.

i wouldnt worry too much about losing any of em.

Suaveness
06-22-2004, 03:16 PM
i promise everyone, whether they select brewer, or james jones, or primoz brezec, it will have no bearing whatsoever on the outcome of next season.

I wouldn't say that at all. What if we don't get another center? What if we lose most of our SFs? What if AJ doesn't sign back and we don't get another PG? It could very well have bearing.

t-Bone
06-22-2004, 03:18 PM

agreed, unless they take cro. but they dont want a big contract prolly