PDA

View Full Version : ACC/Big Ten challenge (ACC wins 6 to 5)

Kstat
12-02-2008, 09:30 PM
Results so far:

Wisconsin 74, Virginia Tech 72
Boston College 75, Iowa 55
Ohio State 73, Miami 68
Clemson 76, Illinois 74
Duke 76, Purdue 60
Minnesota 66, Virginia 56

Kstat
12-02-2008, 09:32 PM
OSU/Miami and Clemson/Illinois in a pretty good battle right now. Could go a long way to determine if the big 11 has a chance this year.

Duke/Purdue should be a war.

LG33
12-02-2008, 10:00 PM
ACC 1 - Big Ten 1

Boston College beats Iowa!

Kstat
12-03-2008, 12:13 AM
Purdue got stomped tonight....that hurt the conference.

Kstat
12-03-2008, 12:32 AM
an otherwise-dismal Tuesday for the big 10 gets salvaged by the Gophers, and we're tied heading into day 3.

just need to win 3 or the 5 games tomorrow

Suaveness
12-03-2008, 02:26 PM
Not sure MSU has it to beat UNC....though I'd love for that to happen

Slick Pinkham
12-03-2008, 04:48 PM
IU traveling to Wake Forest is not going to be pretty, considering that IU traveling to Division-II Chaminade was an even game.

A 4-1 or even 5-0 ACC sweep is unfortunately pretty likely tonight.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/scoreboard?confId=7

Kstat
12-03-2008, 09:17 PM
both Penn st and Michigan winning on the road at haftime...things are looking good.

Suaveness
12-04-2008, 12:10 AM
Well that didn't work well...

Kstat
12-04-2008, 03:24 AM
the big 10 was one 2nd-half collapse by michigan away from winning this thing. That one's going to stick with me a while.

Slick Pinkham
12-04-2008, 08:49 AM
Penn State and Northwestern got it done. This has me worried that indeed IU might finish 11th in the Big Ten this year.

Amazing that the margin between UNC and MSU was bigger than IU-Wake, and frankly on the court the talent disparity seemed similarly large (knowing of course that MSU often struggles early in seasons then puts it together in Jan/Feb/March).

Since86
12-04-2008, 10:46 AM
Tom Izzo is nothing short of a great coach, but why he wanted MSU to run with them is beyond me. He may not of had the type of players to grind it out, but that style just played right into their hands letting them score close to 100 again. Awful game plan, just awful.

But I dunno if I would say the talent disparity between MSU/UNC was similiar to the talent disparity between IU/WF. Wake looked and played like an extremely young and inexperienced team. WF just toyed with IU all night, because they were so superior athletically. It was pitiful to watch. IU plays with a lot of heart, but they have no legit Div 1 contributors. Some nice would be role players, but that's about it.

count55
12-04-2008, 01:44 PM
Tom Izzo is nothing short of a great coach, but why he wanted MSU to run with them is beyond me. He may not of had the type of players to grind it out, but that style just played right into their hands letting them score close to 100 again. Awful game plan, just awful.

I didn't see the game, and I can't presume to speak for Izzo, but I'm reminded of what Bob Knight said about the UNLV game in '87. I don't have the direct quote, but he after reporters expressed surprise at the pace of the game (IU won 97-93, IIRC), he said something to the effect that he was afraid that if IU tried to play a game in the 60's, that they'd be successful, but UNLV would still play a game in the 90's.

Slick Pinkham
12-04-2008, 02:31 PM
I didn't see the game, and I can't presume to speak for Izzo, but I'm reminded of what Bob Knight said about the UNLV game in '87. I don't have the direct quote, but he after reporters expressed surprise at the pace of the game (IU won 97-93, IIRC), he said something to the effect that he was afraid that if IU tried to play a game in the 60's, that they'd be successful, but UNLV would still play a game in the 90's.

I think that is because UNLV forced the tempo by applying full-court pressure. Knight always believed in attacking pressure and traps, since the opponent was trying to force turnovers but also assuming the risk that good fast ball movement could beat the press and generate many easy baskets.

Thus if the philosophy was to be careful and methodically get the ball up court, you still might turn it over and worse yet, you are not taking advantage of the weakness of their defense. If you instead attack, you will perhaps turn it over more but if you get to the basket you will shoot a high percentage and draw fouls to easily compensate.

The games against Iowa under Dr. Tom Davis were always high-scoring for the same reasons. Davis pressed and trapped, IU attacked.

It has also been a pet peeve of mine that national fans and media (not you) have this perception that Indiana under RMK played methodical low-scoring basketball. They were patterned, disciplined, half-court-based (usually), but they led the Big 10 in scoring more often than all of the other teams in the Big 10 COMBINED.

DisplacedKnick
12-04-2008, 06:25 PM
Northwestern spanking Florida State raises the inevitable "How good is Butler?" question. Figured on them being down this year but maybe not.

Shade
12-04-2008, 07:05 PM
Penn State and Northwestern got it done. This has me worried that indeed IU might finish 11th in the Big Ten this year.

Like I said before, I'm not sure we'll win a single conference game. We're clearly the worst team in the Big 10/11.

When is the last time a B10/11 team went winless in conference?