PDA

View Full Version : A question for the home improvement types

Anthem
11-25-2008, 11:36 AM
Ok, so my wife and I live in a tiny ancient house. Most of it's in pretty good shape (due in large part to a ton of work I've put in) but the bathroom is terrible. It's very small, and it's the only one in the house. We never use the full tub, and it's not really worth the space it takes up.

We're looking at remodeling the room. It will never be the Hyatt, but we ought to be able to make it classy. The wife and I don't need any more than a shower stall, but we also use it to bathe the kids, so a little bit of tub space is necessary. I took measurements, and the perfect size of tub would be 24" by 40". I couldn't find anything like it at any home improvement store, but the Google shows me this:

http://www.amazon.com/Bathtub-White-Left-Hand-Drain/dp/B0010XF7Y0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1227576675&sr=1-1

Apparently, 24x40 is a standard size for RV tubs. So the question is this: Am I nuts? It seems crazy to use an RV tub in a real bathroom, but I can't think of a specific reason not to do it. Is fiberglass vs porcelain a big deal? Anybody done anything like this?

Thanks gang.

Putnam
11-25-2008, 12:30 PM
And as long as you are not messing with the structure, you can do anything like this, then alter it again later as conditions warrant.

Some people will comment that the little tub looks funny, or that the material will not be durable, or that it won't improve the resale value of the house. I say do what you want to. It's your house.

The big question in my mind would be the water pipes. What will you have to do to get to the pipes to install a new faucet for the tub? And, will this thing align with the existing drain? Is the old plumbing threaded iron? 'Cause that can be bad to mess with.

What will you do with the space that is freed up by this change?

indygeezer
11-25-2008, 01:23 PM
Ok, so my wife and I live in a tiny ancient house. Most of it's in pretty good shape (due in large part to a ton of work I've put in) but the bathroom is terrible. It's very small, and it's the only one in the house. We never use the full tub, and it's not really worth the space it takes up.

We're looking at remodeling the room. It will never be the Hyatt, but we ought to be able to make it classy. The wife and I don't need any more than a shower stall, but we also use it to bathe the kids, so a little bit of tub space is necessary. I took measurements, and the perfect size of tub would be 24" by 40". I couldn't find anything like it at any home improvement store, but the Google shows me this:

http://www.amazon.com/Bathtub-White-Left-Hand-Drain/dp/B0010XF7Y0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1227576675&sr=1-1

Apparently, 24x40 is a standard size for RV tubs. So the question is this: Am I nuts? It seems crazy to use an RV tub in a real bathroom, but I can't think of a specific reason not to do it. Is fiberglass vs porcelain a big deal? Anybody done anything like this?

Thanks gang.

I recently sold a very nice 1950's home on Allisonville Rd. it had a round porcelain tub in the bath (Approx 36"-42" in diameter). The tub was encased in a ceramic tiled box (this was NOT a whirlpool tub and was original to the home). Look to home restoration contractors for sources of such a tub. I recommend this because, while you may not care now, someday you may want to sell the house and you would be SEVERLY limiting your potential if you do not have a tub. ALWAYS...think resale before doing your home repair projects.

Anthem
11-25-2008, 01:49 PM
while you may not care now, someday you may want to sell the house and you would be SEVERLY limiting your potential if you do not have a tub. ALWAYS...think resale before doing your home repair projects.
But there is a tub... it's just smaller than your normal 60x30.

ChicagoJ
11-25-2008, 02:57 PM
Just build walls and tile it in and use a glass wall/ door. That's what I did for an odd-sized shower in our basement.

Putnam
11-25-2008, 03:22 PM
ALWAYS...think resale before doing your home repair projects.

Geezer knows best, but if you plan to stay in the house for a while you can certainly do what you're talking about in the short term. Just preserve the option to restore it to a full-sized tub, which your idea and ChicagoJ's recommendations would likely allow.

You say the house is ancient. Are you in a historic neighborhood?

MyFavMartin
11-25-2008, 03:57 PM
Might you use one of those corner (angled) tubs to pick up length via the diagonal?

Asks Nostrashaqus with his knowledge of the triangle get-clean-before-you offense.

indygeezer
11-25-2008, 05:10 PM
But there is a tub... it's just smaller than your normal 60x30.

Then that's fine. I'm not certain about an RV tub though...is it "sturdy" enough for home use? Does it look good or is it a plastic bucket?

Yes you can update when you decide to sell but will you have the money/desire to do so. Usually people have several items to update before selling and the expense, time, and bother really upsets them. I know fer instance that in my house, I will need to update the furnace...there is nothing wrong with it but it LOOKS old and people are going to be hesitant on looks along. Then there are the countertops...again nothing wrong with them but in my pricerange people now expect an upgrade from formica. On and on. I have no problem with people doing their own projects, just don't box yourself into a corner. Man, that grammar thread really hit me on that sentence.

Anthem
11-25-2008, 07:42 PM
Then that's fine. I'm not certain about an RV tub though...is it "sturdy" enough for home use? Does it look good or is it a plastic bucket?
Thus my question. Was wondering who had experience with fiberglass tubs, as opposed to ceramic ones.

Or if anyone knew how to find a ceramic non-60/30 tub.