PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone else hear Carlisle on ESPN radio, Dan Patrick

Unclebuck
06-21-2004, 05:26 PM
Most of the talk was nonsense.

He asked about Shaq, and Rick said that to even contemplate something like trading for Shaq is mind boggling.

He asked about T-Mac, and Rick said there was some talk, but Rick said he would have to talk to Donnie, then he hesitated and said Bird also.

DP, mentioned that Artest was at ESPN studios last week.....Rick did not say much except that Ron is turning into a media magnet. He said it in a light-hearted way.

Kegboy
06-21-2004, 05:35 PM
It was a pretty worthless interview. You could say Rick more or less conceded TMac to Houston, but he didn't seem very broken hearted about it.

Rick seemed to take issue with Dan talking all those trades, saying that's Donnie and Larry, not him. Sure, they consult with him, but I got the impression he's content to leave everything up to them, and he'll just worry about coaching whomever they get. I'd say we don't ever have to worry about Rick going somewhere else so he can have a say in player-personnel matters.

Also, he didn't seem too interested in talking about Detroit. He didn't watch game 5, since he was on vacation. He heard about Brown's comments, but shrugged them off. I found it interesting that he felt it was nice that Detroit won because "I'm an Eastern Conference guy, have been for 17 of my 20 years in the league." No mention whatsoever of him coaching them. If someone didn't know better, I doubt they'd even be able to figure that out.

themachotaco
06-21-2004, 06:17 PM
I usually listen to ESPN radio at work and when I heard that Carlisle was going to be on the show I postponed my lunch hour to make sure I did not miss it.

What a waste!

The interview definitely made me lose respect for Dan Patrick -- and I think Carlisle had the same reaction. Patrick didn't appear to have watched a Pacers game in three years. How do you interview a guy two wins from the Finals and not ask "so what do the Pacers need to get them over the hump?"

Did DP actually ask a question about Indiana? Really disappointed -- especially with us being a potential offseason trader... granted Rick isn't going to tell you what players we are going after, but certainly it would seem smart to ask about what 'types' of players we are looking for...

Unclebuck
06-21-2004, 08:30 PM
I got the impression that Rick was beyond bored with the questions Dan Patrick was asking. I know I was

Kegboy
06-21-2004, 08:48 PM
I got the impression that Rick was beyond bored with the questions Dan Patrick was asking.

Why else do you think he was trying to get Dibble to ask him something. You know it's bad when you ask that knucklehead to get into the conversation.

Unclebuck
06-21-2004, 08:52 PM
Say what you will about Jim Rome but he is a good interviewer. I don't like his schtick, but he asks his guests good questions.

Dan Patrick tries to be buddy buddy with everyone. The strange thing is I have heard him conduct a good interview on Sportscenter before on serious topics

A-Train
06-22-2004, 12:44 AM
Say what you will about Jim Rome but he is a good interviewer. I don't like his schtick, but he asks his guests good questions.

Dan Patrick tries to be buddy buddy with everyone. The strange thing is I have heard him conduct a good interview on Sportscenter before on serious topics

Agreed on your assessment of Rome. I'm not a big fan of his, but he does conduct a good interview.

I was all fired up to hear where the Pacers are with all the trade talk floating around, and basically got nothing out of the interview except that TMac has to be considered, but that he's probably going to Houston. Yeah, and..? What ELSE are the Pacers thinking about doing? Is Harrington on the blocks? Bender? Anyone?

You gotta give me something, Dan Patrick.

TheSauceMaster
06-22-2004, 07:30 AM
Maybe I am crazy but I like Jim Rome , I also enjoy Mike and Mike on ESPN radio of course I watch it on TV :laugh:

PacerStud
06-22-2004, 08:44 AM
Patrick was more concerned about his hair than providing an intelligent interview.

A year or so ago, he was the best on the radio. Looks like his ego is getting the better of him. Just like with all the other ESPN people.

The interview - it sucked.

Grant
06-22-2004, 09:35 AM
I don't like his schtick, but he asks his guests good questions.

Rome = :puke:

His interviews are ok, but his schtick is terrible. And the guy doesn't know sports, he just watches ESPN, reads the USA Today, and recycles the same stuff over and over.

I'm actually a fan of JT the Brick (who may not be on in Indianapolis). I think he was the first smack-off winner, but now has his own show, and is 1000 times better than Rome.