PDA

View Full Version : Iverson for Carter?

Young
06-21-2004, 03:58 PM
www.msnbc.com

Why would either team do this.

It doesn't help their stage now.

Philly should just keep Iverson, try to rebuild around him. Get a 2Guard and Small Forward with good passing skills and decent defenders. That way they don't have to rely on Eric Snow all the time, they can have more opitions to carry the point duties.

As for Toronto, this doesn't help them at all. They should just stick with VC and try to build around him, or trade him for some good players. Kinda like the rumors of Magic/Pacers. Magic would trade a star, for less players. Not bad players but a couple of good players. [No i'm not saying VC in Indiana.]

I think this is a trade that would be made for the sake of making a trade.

Kegboy
06-21-2004, 05:11 PM
I think this makes alot of sense for both teams, when you factor in what happens off the court.

For Toronto, their franchise is in trouble. It's hard to make a go of it in Canada, due to the exchange rate and player's not wanting to live there. Plus, VC's burned bridges with fans and teammates due to his injuries and questionable desire. AI would give them (sadly) a very marketable guy, who'll put butts in the seats and be a signifcant source of revenue in jersey sales.

As for Philly, it's easier said then done to build around AI. They've tried numerous combinations (Stackhouse, Thomas, Van Horn, Robinson) and none work out. King hamstringed their cap giving bad contracts to role players, and they have no flexibility now. The only player that makes any money they can move is AI, and if they want to get back to competing they need to move him. With Vince, they'll get another household name that at least the casual fans think is great, which will lessen the backlash over losing Iverson. And, plugging Vince into the 2-spot gives them a more traditional team that O'Brien is better suited to coach.

Granted, both guys have their problems, and just cause they get new locals doesn't mean they'll live up to what they are capable of. But the grass is always greener on the other side.

Will Galen
06-21-2004, 05:22 PM
I think this makes alot of sense for both teams, when you factor in what happens off the court.

For Toronto, their franchise is in trouble. It's hard to make a go of it in Canada, due to the exchange rate . . .

From Larry Coon's FAQ.
61. Are teams really competing on a level playing field? Since the tax rate is different in the different states and Canada, don't the teams in a more "tax friendly" state have an advantage over the other teams?
Yes they do. For example, when Shaquille O'Neal became a free agent in 1996, the Magic and Lakers competed for his services. Since Florida has no state income tax, Orlando's offer, which was lower, was actually higher in terms of net income. LA overcame this disadvantage by offering an accelerated payment schedule for the salary in the first three seasons of his contract (lump sum in seasons one & three, 50/50 in season two).

The new CBA closed the loophole that LA used to sign Shaq. Now, at least 30% of a player's salary must be paid bi-weekly throughout the season. They also added an extra regulation to help neutralize the tax disadvantage of Canadian teams. All teams are permitted to offer a bonus of up to 25% (see the previous question). The key point is that for U.S. residents in Canada, this bonus is taxed at just 15%. Using this bonus, Canadian teams can nearly achieve tax neutrality.

Kegboy
06-21-2004, 05:40 PM
Interesting Will. But beyond the issue of player's salaries, I still think they're at a disadvantage running the business side of things up there. Depends on what kind of breaks they get from Toronto.

MSA2CF
06-21-2004, 05:41 PM
http://www.pacersdigest.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=26029&highlight=#26029

I like that trade...or Vince Carter for Allen Iverson?

I don't work for msnbc; I swear. :D