PDA

View Full Version : Here's what most are missing about Artest.

debohstheman
06-21-2004, 11:18 AM
i somewhat agree....

but what i think YOU're missing is that the energy, the intensity, the desire to win that Artest has CANNOT be replaced....

the guy is an absolute beast (remember the hand surgery??) that raises the intensity and level of play of those aorund him..especially on defense...so his impact goes beyond the player that guards him

the way i see it..if he can get you tmac, you do it.
if not, and there isnt TOO much going on in the background...keep him.....

get a solid (not superstar) SG and we will be contenders..

BillS
06-21-2004, 12:13 PM
I still don't get trading Artest for anything that doesn't include at least some kind of replacement for his defense.

We got to the ECF on defense. So, obviously, to take the next step we blow up a huge chunk of our defense and start over :confused: :confused: :confused:

Snickers
06-21-2004, 12:19 PM
Sure he can only stop one man, but that one man is usually the team's best scorer. We've got nobody else, and I'd go so far as to say there's nobody else in the league who can consistently shut down other teams' star scorers.

Like debohs said, his energy and intensity are huge. And he can handle a team's #1 scorer, which makes the entire team defense more effective, not having to focus nearly as much on stopping Ron's man.

That said, if Larry and Donnie really do want to trade him, there must be good reason for it. But I don't think it would have much to do with his on-court contributions, because he was very close to being our team MVP this year.

indygeezer
06-21-2004, 01:02 PM
I like Ron. But during much of the PO's he stopped 5 men. The one he was gaurding and his own teammates. He did so by doing a bigman impression of Travis Best and holding the ball at the 3 pt arch. When he becomes selfish (may not be the right term, but it LOOKS like selfishness) he costs us our offensive movement and scoring opportunities.

Will Galen
06-21-2004, 01:16 PM
i somewhat agree....

but what i think YOU're missing is that the energy, the intensity, the desire to win that Artest has CANNOT be replaced....

the guy is an absolute beast (remember the hand surgery??) that raises the intensity and level of play of those aorund him..especially on defense...so his impact goes beyond the player that guards him

the way i see it..if he can get you tmac, you do it.
if not, and there isnt TOO much going on in the background...keep him.....

get a solid (not superstar) SG and we will be contenders..

I'm in lockstep with you!

Will Galen
06-21-2004, 01:18 PM
I like Ron. But during much of the PO's he stopped 5 men. The one he was gaurding and his own teammates. He did so by doing a bigman impression of Travis Best and holding the ball at the 3 pt arch. When he becomes selfish (may not be the right term, but it LOOKS like selfishness) he costs us our offensive movement and scoring opportunities.

True, but at times so did JO and Al. They all three did that thurout the season.

Pig Nash
06-21-2004, 02:58 PM
I like ron but if we can get a great two for him than i'm all for trading him.

Unclebuck
06-21-2004, 04:42 PM
OK, turning this argument on its head, if I buy your argument, then why do so many complain about Reggie's defense, he can only guard one guy, so how much damage can his "poor defense" really cause.

After reading that, not sure it makes any sense.

One reason why Artest's defense is so important is because Tinsley and Reggie are not very good defensively. If they were both excellent on the defensive end, then Ron becomes a little less vital. If Fred plays even more next season, that might help

themachotaco
06-21-2004, 06:28 PM

True, but wouldn't you agree that he played better and more a part of the team this year than the last? His improvement was phenomenal, and that was with only a year under Carlisle. How much better could he be after another, with Carlisle knowing 'how' to coach Ron. His effectiveness would really improve with him not having to be the team's second offensive option. A lot of the times in the playoffs he tried to take over on offense because no one else would! (I must conceed, however, that the last five minutes of Game 6 certainly was detrimental to Ron's development...)