PDA

View Full Version : The Official 2008-09 IU Basketball Thread

Shade
11-15-2008, 11:05 AM
Well, the season starts today, so someone had to start it. :shrug:

Last season's thread:

http://www.pacersdigest.com/apache2-default/showthread.php?t=34652

This looks to be a potentially disastrous season for IU basketball, despite the 2-0 exhibition record, as only ONE player from last year's team returns (Taber), and he only saw the floor somewhat briefly last season.

The schedule:

http://iuhoosiers.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/sched/ind-m-baskbl-sched.html

I only see what should be 4 sure-fire wins there (Northwestern State, Cornell, Northeastern, and Lipscomb). In all honesty, finishing 10-20 would be an accomplishment with this bunch, unless there are a lot of diamonds in the rough.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Shade20x6/Waterboy_2.jpg

Robertmto
11-15-2008, 11:21 AM
Dumes is gonan suprise ALOT of people.

We suck tho

duke dynamite
11-15-2008, 12:35 PM
I'm actually optimistic. Like the Pacers, these guys are new and looking for a fresh start. However, they may not win much, but they will be fun to watch and they have a heck of a coach in Crean.

Trader Joe
11-15-2008, 01:45 PM
I could care less what happens this season as long as they play their butts off and don't do anything stupid. We have a top 10 recruiting class coming in next year, and we won't be down for long. Let these guys get some experience then we will get some stars in here next year with a guy like Watford.

Shade
11-16-2008, 05:29 PM
1-0! Woo! :rolleyes:

Seriously, though, we could easily start out as good as 6-5 before the **** hits the fan. It'll be a good mirror to the football team. :suicide2:

Bball
11-16-2008, 05:35 PM
1-0! Woo! :rolleyes:

Seriously, though, we could easily start out as good as 6-5 before the **** hits the fan. It'll be a good mirror to the football team. :suicide2:

Not really... For one thing (and it's a biggie) the basketball team has a real coach.

We can also talk about the overall tradition of the basketball program and the football program.

True the winning percentage might be similar this season, but the future outlook and stability will be two vastly different things.

-Bball

Shade
11-16-2008, 05:40 PM
Not really... For one thing (and it's a biggie) the basketball team has a real coach.

We can also talk about the overall tradition of the basketball program and the football program.

True the winning percentage might be similar this season, but the future outlook and stability will be two vastly different things.

-Bball

Oh, I know that. But I'm bracing myself for a very, very rough outing this year.

Trader Joe
11-16-2008, 07:03 PM
Just think about the depth that next year's team will have and it will make you feel better. Just repeat to yourself top ten recruiting class and Christian Watford, and you'll be feeling better in seconds. We won't be down for long.

Shade
11-16-2008, 08:26 PM
This season, I'll be keeping track of all the teams that show us no mercy, so we know who to beat the living crap out next year. :scream:

Robertmto
11-16-2008, 09:04 PM
Hopefully Dumes can keep this production up

Shade
11-16-2008, 09:20 PM
He's gonna have to if we have any shot at 10 wins.

Slick Pinkham
11-17-2008, 08:32 AM
I'd be happy with these 10 wins:

Northwestern St.- check
IUPUI (home)
a Maui consolation game
Cornell (home)
TCU (home)
Northeastern (home)
Lipscomb (home)
Michigan at home
Penn St. at home
Northwestern at home

If we take care of those 10 (and I know IUPUI could be tough, maybe moreso than Michigan, Penn St., or Northwestern)

and pick up maybe 2 surprise wins (perhaps among Notre Dame, Iowa, Minnesota?) that would be a 12-18 season.

I'd be happy with that, all things considering.

DisplacedKnick
11-17-2008, 12:00 PM

Northwestern St.- check
IUPUI (home)
a Maui consolation game
Cornell (home)
TCU (home)
Northeastern (home)
Lipscomb (home)
Michigan at home
Penn St. at home
Northwestern at home

If we take care of those 10 (and I know IUPUI could be tough, maybe moreso than Michigan, Penn St., or Northwestern)

and pick up maybe 2 surprise wins (perhaps among Notre Dame, Iowa, Minnesota?) that would be a 12-18 season.

I wouldn't sleep on Cornell either - they return four starters (one's injured and may not be ready for IU) from a tournament team. It is in Bloomington which will help.

Big Smooth
11-18-2008, 09:09 PM
Got a tough win over IUPUI tonight. :D

Now off to the Big Island to see what we can do against a ranked team.

jeffg-body
11-18-2008, 11:36 PM
It is gonna be a long year, but things will look up and the next few years will get brighter and brighter if we can keep the recruiting up.

ilive4sports
11-19-2008, 01:16 AM
Good luck against PSU. I really think they are going to surprise a lot of people this year. Should be much better on the road as all the young guys from last year are now experience. Taylor Battle is a pretty damn good player if imo.

Sorry had to put a go PSU post in here

Shade
11-19-2008, 11:18 AM
Glad we got the win over IUPUI. I honestly felt they had a legit chance to win, and they didn't exactly prove me wrong.

2-0 so far. I'll take it, and I hope we can be semi-competitive (within 20) with Notre Dame on Monday.

Shade
11-19-2008, 11:19 AM
Good luck against PSU. I really think they are going to surprise a lot of people this year. Should be much better on the road as all the young guys from last year are now experience. Taylor Battle is a pretty damn good player if imo.

Sorry had to put a go PSU post in here

Regardless of how good/bad PSU is this year, IU can't afford to take anyone lightly.

Trader Joe
11-25-2008, 12:26 AM
So, uh, yeah...

Robertmto
11-25-2008, 12:51 AM
wow....

Trader Joe
11-25-2008, 02:57 AM
Here's what I have to say about the team...

There are two guys I really like...
Pritchard and Moore.

There are two guys who I really hate and think are huge disappointments...
Jones and Dumes.

I am slightly disappointed in...
Story and Roth.

These two players just suck and wouldn't sniff the court in a normal situation...
Finklemeier and Taber.

I am meh on...
Williams

This guy has slightly outplayed my expectations, but that is not saying much...
Jobe.

Now I really like the way the ball moves when Moore is in the game, he is our best PG when it comes to pushing the break.

Pritchard is going to be a four year stud, and the only guy I see being a starter for his whole career. Everyone else from this class I see being replaced eventually maybe as soon as next year. (Hulls, Watford, Creek, Elston, you know the drill)

Dumes and Jones look like they have never dribbled a basketball before in their entire lives, and the offense just becomes absolutely stagnant when they have the basketball. They probably are filling divots all over the floor where one of these two pounded it into oblivion.

I just have to keep telling myself, help is on the way, help is on the way, help is on the way.

Now let's just hope the NCAA doesn't kick the crap out of us tomorrow.

Trader Joe
11-25-2008, 02:59 AM
Dumes is gonan suprise ALOT of people.

We suck tho

Yeah he has surprised me. I'm shocked by how much he sucks.

Shade
11-25-2008, 02:18 PM
Yeah, that's about what I was expecting. I didn't see the beatdown (I actually forgot about the game; school is killing me right now), so I'll have to withhold commenting on specifics until I do.

On the bright side, the NCAA has decided that IU only has to uphold their self-imposed sanctions, and will be on a three-year probation. Sampson, OTOH, is not allowed to coach another college team for 5 years.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3725832

Shade
11-25-2008, 02:20 PM
Yeah he has surprised me. I'm shocked by how much he sucks.

:rimshot:

Jonathan
11-25-2008, 02:42 PM
I U is down by six points right now in the second half against St. Joes. The game started at 08:30 AM Hawaii time.

Trader Joe
11-25-2008, 02:45 PM
Where can you see the score for the game? ESPN isn't updating.

Trader Joe
11-25-2008, 02:49 PM
Nevermind found it on TV.

Trader Joe
11-25-2008, 02:51 PM
Ugh, we're getting run off the court now.

Trader Joe
11-25-2008, 02:53 PM
Hulls can't get here soon enough. This team has horrible point guards.

Shade
11-25-2008, 03:12 PM
This is the worst IU team I have seen in my 21 years as a fan.

Slow, un-athletic, low bball IQ...something tells me you could pick-and-roll this team to death every night.

This team should play zone every night. I don't think there's one guy on this team that is even a solid man-to-man defender.

Just painful to watch.

Jonathan
11-25-2008, 03:25 PM
On the bright side these kids can say they have been to Maui.

Shade
11-25-2008, 03:33 PM
That was brutal. And it will only get worse. :kickcan:

Ownagedood
11-25-2008, 03:51 PM
That was brutal. And it will only get worse. :kickcan:

Well.. Not necessarily worse.. I mean ND IS #8 in the country.. They aren't a slouch team.. But ya, it won't be a pretty season.. Not positive we will be able to beat Cornell.

Trader Joe
11-25-2008, 04:18 PM
I think Pritch is a decent one on one defender.

LoneGranger33
11-25-2008, 11:46 PM
Any Purdue talk going to transpire in this thread?

kester99
11-26-2008, 12:23 AM

Of a certain stripe.

Shade
11-26-2008, 09:21 AM
Purdue sucks.

Does that count?

travmil
11-26-2008, 09:35 AM

There is already a Purdue thread.

http://www.pacersdigest.com/apache2-default/showthread.php?t=42388 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edaJP3Lp0Gg)

Major Cold
11-26-2008, 11:51 AM
Well i am surprised. Usually Purdue fans suck in that they worry about everyone elses team.

Shade
11-26-2008, 11:54 AM
Purdue sucks for many reasons. They're like Lay's potato chips; you can't have just one.

grace
11-26-2008, 04:21 PM
Purdue sucks for many reasons.

I would imagine most of the reason Purdue sucks is they're better than IU.

Shade
11-26-2008, 04:22 PM
No, there are plenty of legitimate reasons Purdue sucks.

Their basketball team being better than IU's once in a blue moon is just the icing on the suckcake.

Shade
11-26-2008, 09:09 PM
2-point win over Chaminade! :woohoo:

Yikes. This team is even worse than I expected. We may not win a single conference game.

clownskull
11-29-2008, 03:53 AM
2-point win over Chaminade! :woohoo:

Yikes. This team is even worse than I expected. We may not win a single conference game.

yeh, they are the worst iu team i have ever seen without a doubt. they have no realistic shot at winning 10 games this year from what i can see. pritchard is the only player who can do much of anything (especially on the inside). this season is really just a scenario where we have to watch a bunch of guys who (besides pritchard) would be lucky enough to be managers on many teams. i don't mean to be too hard on these guys honestly but, they just don't have much talent
i think they might win about 3-4 more games all season if lucky. there will be no close games against teams that are even close to being ranked. i think crean will prove to be a good coach but honestly i knew that he was being forced to make a dinner out of table scraps and i don't care who is coaching these guys- you just aren't going to beat anyone even semi-decent and will have a tough time against weak teams because we ARE one.
i doubt even 1 road win this year. cornell could very well beat us and gonzaga will kill us like any good team can and will. all you can really hope for with this bunch is that they try their best which is kind of hard really since they are so bad. anything more than that is a bonus really.
oh well, it's only one season. when we start getting authentic big10 quality players, i think we will be able to compete with anyone.

Slick Pinkham
12-02-2008, 10:53 AM

Northwestern St.
IUPUI (home)
a Maui consolation game
Cornell (home)
TCU (home)
Northeastern (home)
Lipscomb (home)
Michigan at home
Penn St. at home
Northwestern at home

Northwestern St.- check
IUPUI (home)- check
a Maui consolation game- Chaminade- check
Cornell (home)- check
TCU (home)
Northeastern (home)
Lipscomb (home)
Michigan at home
Penn St. at home
Northwestern at home

Wow, so far I'm perfect.

But the Chaminade performance leaves me thinking that any conference win, even Penn st. or Northwestern, may be a pipe dream, and Beilein may be getting it going at Michigan.

Shade
12-08-2008, 09:53 PM
Well, we didn't get totally embarrassed by Gonzaga, which is definitely a step in the right direction.

We should be 7-6 heading into the conference. Then the real fun (read: NOT fun) begins.

pwee31
12-08-2008, 11:16 PM
I thought they fought in the Gonzaga game, but the Zgs also missed a lot of shots they don't usually miss.

The definitely feeds off the guard more then usual teams would.

That being said, I don't expect many if any raod wins

jeffg-body
12-09-2008, 11:28 PM
This season will be brutal and will be ugly to watch for any IU fans. Remember though that the extent that the program needed a cleansing will be good in the long run in restoring the program to where it should be among the elite teams in the nation. We now have a darned good coach who recruits well and within the rules. It may take 2-3 years to show dividends, but they will come in time.

Raoul Duke
12-11-2008, 01:54 AM
If they play the way they did tonight, they'll improve throughout the season and I'll be happy. They can really only over-achieve at this point so I'm just going to enjoy the season no matter what happens.

travmil
12-11-2008, 06:37 AM
pacertom gets to add another check to his list. Impressive so far.

Shade
12-13-2008, 05:33 PM
Down 23 points at the half to Kentucky after scoring a whopping 13 points in the first half. :shakehead

Shade
12-13-2008, 10:32 PM
Well, we "only" lost by 18. Somehow managed to put up 41 points in the second half, too.

Big Smooth
12-14-2008, 01:06 AM
We outscored Kentucky in the 2nd half at Rupp. That should count as half a win. lol

Kentucky really is not a good team but we made them look like national champions in the first half. Man.

Now we got a real solid chance of being 7-5 heading into Big Ten play. I think we can get at least 3 more in conference play. 7-10 wins was about what I expected this season anyways.

Watching this team has not been without any redeeming value....at least in the wins. They hustle, play scrappy defense and pass the ball quite a bit on offense instead of always settling for the first bad shot like some of the Davis and Sampson teams did. Then again, the turnovers make me cringe a lot and some of the games start looking like And 1 tour mixtapes for the opponent. :(

And it could easily be worse than 7-5. The teams that IU has beat so far with the exception of Chaminade are pretty good D1 mid major teams that are favored to win their respective conferences.

Shade
12-14-2008, 10:40 PM
We outscored Kentucky in the 2nd half at Rupp. That should count as half a win. lol

Kentucky really is not a good team but we made them look like national champions in the first half. Man.

Now we got a real solid chance of being 7-5 heading into Big Ten play. I think we can get at least 3 more in conference play. 7-10 wins was about what I expected this season anyways.

Watching this team has not been without any redeeming value....at least in the wins. They hustle, play scrappy defense and pass the ball quite a bit on offense instead of always settling for the first bad shot like some of the Davis and Sampson teams did. Then again, the turnovers make me cringe a lot and some of the games start looking like And 1 tour mixtapes for the opponent. :(

And it could easily be worse than 7-5. The teams that IU has beat so far with the exception of Chaminade are pretty good D1 mid major teams that are favored to win their respective conferences.

It's quite obvious that we just don't have good players, but I think the coaching looks really solid for the most part.

travmil
12-17-2008, 09:27 PM
For those that have missed it on the Indystar homepage. Gordon speaks out about drug problems that helped bring IU down. Can't really say it's a bombshell, we all knew that team had massive problems.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20081217/SPORTS0601/81217054

I know that he probably didn't feel like it was his place, but I really wish he had spoken up about this sooner.

Kaufman
12-17-2008, 09:36 PM
I think in fact that it is a bombshell... I know drug use is not unheard of in college sports, however it sounds like the use was rampant at IU - quite surprising for a historically squeeky clean squad.

I think that a lot of those problems and the demise of the team was ultimately pointed to Kelvin Sampson, but this would indicate that there was something totally separate going on concurrently. So in addition to Sampson's wrong doing, seems that much of the squad has some culpability in the the broader picture.

travmil
12-17-2008, 09:42 PM
Now that I think about it, the reason he didn't say anything before was probably to keep Sampson and IU from having to deal with that too. He probably waited until all the punishment had been handed down before opening that wound again.

Pig Nash
12-18-2008, 01:25 AM
From what Gordon is saying I think it was only partially to do with the drugs and partially because the team wasn't together, clique-y which would explain the on court problems.

Shade
12-18-2008, 10:39 AM
This does make the total collapse more understandable.

Since86
12-18-2008, 12:40 PM
That explains a lot about DeAndre.

Jonathan
12-18-2008, 01:06 PM
I want to know what drug or drugs they were abusing? A lot of teams have probably have a lot of marijunia & alcohol abusers on them.

Major Cold
12-18-2008, 01:37 PM
Kaufman count...

Shade
12-23-2008, 09:53 PM
42 points against Northeastern? Really? Yikes.

Slick Pinkham
12-29-2008, 01:45 PM
Northeastern, Lipscomb?

ouch.

Things are worse than I expected, and I thought that I had my eyes wide open.

Shade
12-30-2008, 10:02 PM
We could very easily finish with only 5 wins this year. If we can't beat Lipscomb or even be competitive with Northeastern... :blush:

Slick Pinkham
01-07-2009, 07:29 PM
could it be the first unexpected victory of the year?

39-22 IU over Michigan at halftime!!!

:cool:

:pray:

Slick Pinkham
01-07-2009, 08:41 PM
crap

:(

Shade
01-07-2009, 08:49 PM
FAIL

IU loses by 6 in overtime after leading by 20 in the second half.

Oh, btw, IU missed 6 FTs in the OT period. :duh:

Michigan did everything they could to blow it, too. Two consecutive turnovers followed by having 6 players on the court (should have been a tech on them, btw).

Shade
01-07-2009, 08:57 PM
On the bright side, at least we're being competitive. 5-point loss to Iowa and 6-point loss to Michigan. Maybe we'll sneak out 1-2 conference wins yet. :pray:

Trader Joe
01-08-2009, 02:14 AM
Crap, we always beat Michigan. It should have happened again.

Three things in life used to be certain, death, taxes, and IU will beat Michigan in basketball.

Oh well, there are positives. Are small as the may seem. This is what young teams do, and this team is incredibly young. There is some talent to work with, and next year the calvary will arrive.

By start of the 2010 season, I believe we can start thinking again about Assembly Hall being a place where you could see the sign, "Abandon hope all ye who enter here."

We're gonna be fine, and these choke jobs, and beat downs will just add fuel to the fire.

P.S. Why is Kravitz surprised that DUmes made dumb decisions? Has he watched IU basketball this year? Dumes is flat out dumb as a box of rocks.

DisplacedKnick
01-08-2009, 07:11 AM
On the bright side, at least we're being competitive. 5-point loss to Iowa and 6-point loss to Michigan. Maybe we'll sneak out 1-2 conference wins yet. :pray:

You'll win at least one and maybe more conf games nobody gives you a shot in because your team plays hard and really D's up (as much as they can with their talent). You'll make some team shoot a really poor percentage and get some TO's and pull it out.

I just hope it isn't against us.

croz24
01-08-2009, 06:34 PM
iu's 2008 recruits were clearly ovarrated coming in as 3* players. most of these kids would struggle finding time at a MAC school, let alone a high major program. hulls and elston, two true hoosiers, can't get to bloomington soon enough...anybody else hear the story about christian watford being given his dad's truck and painting it in iu colors?

Shade
01-10-2009, 04:15 PM
Down 45-20 to Illinois at halftime.

Every time it looks like this team may have turned a corner... :shakehead

Bball
01-10-2009, 04:25 PM
The first time all season two things happened:
I knew exactly when IU was playing AND had that period of time free to watch the game...

...and it's this one....

Ouch!

Shade
01-10-2009, 04:46 PM
Down by 37 now. :sigh:

Thank God there's only about 5 minutes left in this massacre.

Shade
01-10-2009, 05:02 PM
The beating finally ends at 76-45. :beat:

Ouch. :headache:

Trader Joe
01-10-2009, 05:16 PM
I'm sure Illinois had this game marked on their calendar for a while...

Sollozzo
01-10-2009, 08:32 PM
This was expected after the emotional let down the other night.

Shade
01-15-2009, 07:39 PM
So, no comments on yet another @$$-whomping?

:kickcan:

Slick Pinkham
01-15-2009, 10:27 PM
I'm looking ahead, since its too painful to look back. :(

Home game vs. Penn St. is one of the best opportunities for a win from here on out. I know PSU has had some good games, but away from home for them and this can be an IU win.

:pray:

BRushWithDeath
01-15-2009, 11:46 PM
Anyone who thought IU would win a Big 10 game was grossly unrealistic.

jeffg-body
01-16-2009, 12:33 AM
They may pull of a big ten game, you never know how the ball bounces. As long as the kids try hard, recruit well and they continue to follow the NCAA guidelines we'll be ok in the long run.

Slick Pinkham
01-16-2009, 03:48 PM

Did you think during the game that the Michigan game was unwinnable? Is every other team in the Big 10 superior to Michigan?

They might not win any, but I definitely think they CAN win at least one. Hopefully tomorrow.

Shade
01-17-2009, 12:39 PM
I'm gonna go out on a limb today and say we upset Penn State.

Big Smooth
01-17-2009, 05:42 PM

Not so much. I'd say anyone picking them to go 0-18 is grossly unrealistic. Of course they will struggle on the road against anyone not named Iowa or Northwestern. But they played very competitively in the first two Big Ten games. Yep, they sure looked like a team that can't win a Big Ten game in those games.

Ownagedood
01-17-2009, 10:11 PM
65-55 Penn
:(

We're on fire!!! 8 red marks in a row on the schedule!!!

Bball
01-17-2009, 11:11 PM

Jinx!

Dab
01-23-2009, 11:45 AM
Thought you guys might like to see this as these posters are popping up around Bloomington now. One of new IU AD Fred Glass' first initiatives is to revive old traditions, one of which is custom posters for each (home?) game.

Here is the one making the rounds now.

http://mobtalk.net/cpg1414/albums/userpics/10028/sports_hk_poster_0123%2BZ.jpg

kester99
01-23-2009, 12:26 PM
Excellent. Thanks, DP.

Shade
01-25-2009, 12:55 PM
Only down by one to Minny at the half.

We generally seem to play much better at AH.

Bball
01-25-2009, 02:12 PM
Darn....

Shade
01-25-2009, 02:13 PM
Dumes misses a 3 that would have likely sent it to OT.

9 in a row now. :kickcan:

Big Smooth
01-25-2009, 02:39 PM
That was easily the 2nd toughest loss of the season right behind the Michigan game. FREE THROWS! If Indiana makes their free throws, that would have been a win.

Bball
01-25-2009, 06:47 PM
That was easily the 2nd toughest loss of the season right behind the Michigan game. FREE THROWS! If Indiana makes their free throws, that would have been a win.

The out of control play towards the end when we had the ball, down one, and a chance to take the lead... and turned it over on a charge....was huge.

IU doesn't have the margin of error to make those kinds of mistakes.

Shade
01-25-2009, 10:56 PM

Free throws have been the story in both of those losses.

I think we'll possibly get Iowa when we play them again. And maybe Northwestern at AH.

Trader Joe
01-26-2009, 03:47 AM
It is what it is. A young team making dumb mistakes.

Big Smooth
01-29-2009, 01:12 AM
They made free throws tonight but turnovers did them in. Toughest part of the loss was not getting a final shot off.

Bball
01-29-2009, 01:56 AM
It is what it is. A young team making dumb mistakes.

...Like fouling a dribbler with 6.6 seconds on the clock and the score tied...

-Bball

Jonathan
01-29-2009, 09:27 AM
Great Deal on Tickets

http://www.ticketmaster.com/promo/qez6b3/?dma_id=303

Shade
01-29-2009, 11:32 AM
Two near-wins in a row.

I think/hope the streak ends with Iowa.

Big Smooth
01-30-2009, 08:52 PM
Yeah if we don't beat Iowa at home then I'll be disappointed.

Blink
01-31-2009, 10:22 AM
Right after the Northwester game ESPN sent a text to my friend that said that IU won (they had the score reversed). I got excited cause I hadn't seen the game, and then I was like wtf.

Another kick in the nuts was seeing IU's '93 team losing to OSU on ESPN Classic after being undefeated in the Big Ten. It was like a car crash, I just had to watch. I feel bad for people who never got to see that team. During the broadcast Dickie V. said he didn't think they'd get past the sweet 16 since Alan Henderson was injured.

Shade
01-31-2009, 10:45 AM
Right after the Northwester game ESPN sent a text to my friend that said that IU won (they had the score reversed). I got excited cause I hadn't seen the game, and then I was like wtf.

Another kick in the nuts was seeing IU's '93 team losing to OSU on ESPN Classic after being undefeated in the Big Ten. It was like a car crash, I just had to watch. I feel bad for people who never got to see that team. During the broadcast Dickie V. said he didn't think they'd get past the sweet 16 since Alan Henderson was injured.

We clearly had the best team in the country before Alan went down.

That season was extra painful, considering how badly we were cheated the year before. Could very easily have won back-to-back titles.

Shade
01-31-2009, 07:08 PM
11 in a row. Tied for longest losing streak in school history.

Iowa or bust.

Big Smooth
01-31-2009, 07:20 PM
11 in a row. Tied for longest losing streak in school history.

Iowa or bust.

Stupid refs.

Dab
02-01-2009, 11:15 AM

Yeah I saw that too, thought the Hoosiers had won for a few minutes.

Shade
02-04-2009, 07:27 PM
Up 33-20 at the half. We NEED to win this one. :pray:

pwee31
02-04-2009, 07:29 PM
Up 33-20 at the half. We NEED to win this one. :pray:

I concur, hopefully we can hold on to this lead in the 2nd half

kester99
02-04-2009, 08:38 PM
That's right. That's right! We are UN-winless!

Shade
02-04-2009, 08:38 PM
IU WINS! :fireworks

Just narrowly avoided another epic choke job, too.

Dumes was a monster.

Big Smooth
02-04-2009, 08:42 PM

lol

Bball
02-04-2009, 09:04 PM
Yay!

pwee31
02-04-2009, 09:05 PM
woohoo! Dumes was a beast. Way to hold off the late rally! Let's go for 2 in a row!! haha

Trader Joe
02-05-2009, 12:40 AM
**** YEAH!

Slick Pinkham
02-05-2009, 08:41 AM
:woohoo:

We suck, but it is not a legendary suckiness like winless in the BT would be.

Shade
02-07-2009, 01:34 PM
Today is going to hurt. A lot.

MSU by AT LEAST 30.

Shade
02-07-2009, 06:48 PM
Well, I was close. We "only" lost by 28.

grace
02-07-2009, 07:58 PM
My satelite hasn't worked all day. I missed it. :cry:

indygeezer
02-07-2009, 08:31 PM
Geezer Jr. had his auditions with the Jacobs School of Music yesterday...and loves the campus. If he has his way we may have a member of the Hoosier Hundred in our midst and I shall have to return to rooting for IU. (assuming he doesn't go to Michigan)

Trader Joe
02-07-2009, 09:50 PM
Dumes is a freakin' classless punk.

Shade
02-09-2009, 10:24 PM
Dumes is a freakin' classless punk.

What did I miss? :confused:

Bball
02-09-2009, 10:40 PM
Dumes is suspended until further notice for throwing an elbow in the last game. Actually, he used his elbow questionably 3 times and the 3rd time was thrown out of the game. After review, IU suspended him themselves.

Shade
02-09-2009, 10:44 PM
Awesome. We really didn't need more than one win, anyway.

Shade
02-10-2009, 12:12 PM
Dumes apologizes for flagrant foul (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3895279)

What a year.

grace
02-10-2009, 01:57 PM
Awesome. We really didn't need more than one win, anyway.

Might not be the post of the year, but I'm sure it will be one of my favorites.

Big Smooth
02-15-2009, 03:21 PM
Dumes is suspended until further notice for throwing an elbow in the last game. Actually, he used his elbow questionably 3 times and the 3rd time was thrown out of the game. After review, IU suspended him themselves.

The first one was not questionable at all, he was merely clearing space and the MSU kid flopped like a dying fish. The 2nd one was the worst one IMO. In any case, he deserved the suspension so I hope he learns from it.

Big Smooth
02-15-2009, 03:23 PM
I'll say this about today's game: our effort in the 2nd half was awesome. Our kids really do have heart, that first half was freaking awful and they could have easily packed it in. And to make that kind of run without your leading scorer, it is just impressive to me.

However it must be said if we make our free throws then we have a chance to win the game. Recurring theme.

Also notable that the Indiana and Illinois players were very friendly after the game and Bruthie and CTC also exchanged warm regards. I'm going to go ahead and say the cold war over the Eric Gordon saga is officially over. But I still hate the Illini, always have going back to the Lou Henson days. :D

Shade
02-16-2009, 10:09 PM
Weber is still a colossal crybaby.

Shade
02-21-2009, 11:51 PM
I'm glad to see we were at least competitive against Purdue.

I also want to give props to the fans. They have been cheering like crazy all season.

count55
02-22-2009, 12:03 AM
I'm glad to see we were at least competitive against Purdue.

I also want to give props to the fans. They have been cheering like crazy all season.

ESPN commented on this earlier this week. They did highlights of an IU game, then went to studio, and the guy basically said, "They play hard, Crean's going to get them to be really good, and the fans have been absolutely amazing in Bloomington this year."

Big Smooth
02-22-2009, 01:27 AM
I'm proud of how the kids have kept playing hard about every game even this late in the season when they could easily start to lose some steam. The effort today was great, they did about all they could.

I still think Roth needs more shots. I am very pleased to see Verdell kind of emerge in the last couple games....he still has a lot of work to do but you can see him becoming a legit scoring threat and it is encouraging to see him finally take full advantage of his size.

Trader Joe
02-22-2009, 01:50 AM
There was an article about how impressive our fan base is on ESPN. 80% attendance rate (14K fans) which is better than quite a few tourney bound teams. Like Crean said when he took the job, "It's Indiana." We'll be back. We already have a top ten recruiting class coming in, and it will only get better. HOO-HOO-HOO-HOOSIERS!

Shade
02-25-2009, 11:35 PM
You know it's bad when team managers are suiting up to play:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3935126

Tonight was the only other possible win I saw on the schedule, and we got shellacked.

6-25, here we come.

SycamoreKen
03-03-2009, 10:38 PM
I'm surprised no one has commented on the game tonight. I thought they played well and probably should have won if they had not made a couple mental errors at the end. A time out was probably needed when they came down trailing by 2, but the coach trusted his guys and that does build some cred with the players.

Shade
03-03-2009, 11:43 PM
Damn proud of the effort tonight. Get back a couple of those missed gimmies inside and we could have damn well pulled off the upset. The defense was phenomenal.

At least our loss prevented Purdue from winning the Big Ten. :devil:

duke dynamite
03-04-2009, 12:11 AM
Damn proud of the effort tonight. Get back a couple of those missed gimmies inside and we could have damn well pulled off the upset. The defense was phenomenal.

At least our loss prevented Purdue from winning the Big Ten. :devil:
If not IU, I would've loved to see an Indiana team take the Big Ten. I'm rooting for them in the tournament.

Thank goodness we can now get that giant Band-Aid on our wound and recover for next season. We have some good players coming in.

GO BIG RED!

BRushWithDeath
03-04-2009, 02:43 AM
That Raymar Morgan putback was nasty.

Shade
03-04-2009, 02:53 PM
If not IU, I would've loved to see an Indiana team take the Big Ten. I'm rooting for them in the tournament.

Thank goodness we can now get that giant Band-Aid on our wound and recover for next season. We have some good players coming in.

GO BIG RED!

As a lifelong IU fan, I just can't find myself rooting for Purdue.

Unless they're playing Duke, that is. :mad:

Shade
03-04-2009, 02:55 PM
That Raymar Morgan putback was nasty.

Yeah, that was pretty nice, but am I the only one who gets tired of players scowling whenever they dunk the ball? I mean, come on. It's a freaking dunk. It happens hundreds of times every season.

Nice job dunking on one of the worst teams in the country, Raymar. :rolleyes:

ChicagoJ
03-04-2009, 02:59 PM
As a lifelong IU fan, I just can't find myself rooting for Purdue.

Unless they're playing Duke, that is. :mad:

Even then, I'd cheer for Duke.

Shade
03-04-2009, 03:23 PM
Even then, I'd cheer for Duke.

Just can't root for the Duke after the '92 debacle. I will never forget that.

If only the court could open up and swallow both teams. Then I'd truly be happy.

ChicagoJ
03-04-2009, 03:28 PM
I will cheer for a scoreless tie when they play.

The mere presense of a Purdue team offends me more than the '92 game. Which wasn't really Duke's fault. I blame the referrees and Billy Packer.

Shade
03-04-2009, 03:30 PM
Purdue's existence is an affront to my sensibilities.

Fixed. ;)

ChicagoJ
03-04-2009, 03:31 PM
Fair enough.

Shade
03-12-2009, 09:38 PM
One more loss to go and we can officially close the book on this painful chapter.

6-26. Yeesh. :blush:

Kstat
03-12-2009, 10:08 PM
if you're looking for a silver lining, Michigan was 10-22 last year...

Shade
03-12-2009, 10:16 PM
We have a Top 10 recruiting class coming in next season, so there's already a silver lining. But it's still been a rough season. It's not often you get to witness the worst season in your team's history, especially one with IU's history.

Bball
03-13-2009, 12:14 AM
Truthfully, the season turned out worse than I expected as far as the record goes. I expected the team to be a little more formidable out of the box against the Lipscomb's of the basketball world. I knew the B10 season would be tough.

I was especially surprised at how bad the team looked early on. I didn't expect much, but I saw less. But with that said...
What a difference over the course of the year that this team showed. Crean probably should get an award not only for keeping this team's head up, but for molding them into a team and keeping them competitive more times than not. They truthfully probably deserved another win or two based on effort and the scoreboard in the waning minutes but inexperience cost them in the end.

It's a shame the MSU game got away. That would've been a nice season-maker right there and they had it just at the tips of their fingers.

I even allowed myself to think that maybe... maybe... maybe... PSU was not a bad draw for the tourney and maybe in Indy they could find the energy and a couple of bounces to steal a tourney game. But it was not to be. They could ill-afford to lose a starter so losing Dumes didn't help a team that just couldn't afford to give an inch to their opponents. PSU took care of business.

Help is on the way next year but they will still be an exceedingly young team. Of course they will also be one of the more experienced young teams around. I fear Crean still has his work cut out for him integrating the new players with the returning guys. That will be key. I think we'll be able to handle the Lipscomb's of the world next season but the Big 10 still might be a large hurdle to overcome to get too far away from the bottom just yet.

Doubling the win amount next year should be expected.... but it's a little early to expect much more until we see how Crean puts the pieces together early and how much benefit they get from this year's experience versus their relative youth overall. The quicker they come together the better the chances for getting off the lower rung of the B10 ladder.

duke dynamite
03-13-2009, 08:53 AM
RIP: 2008-2009 IU Men's Basketball Team.

I am so looking forward to next season.

Coop
03-15-2009, 06:37 PM
Rough year, but times are looking up. We have some really good players coming in next year. Hopefully we can get over .500 and get a spot in the NIT. Gotta take baby steps. Crean is going to take IU back to where they belong though. Go Hoosiers!

pwee31
03-19-2009, 05:48 PM
There were definitely good signs. Verdell Jones started gaining confidence and coming into his own at the end of the year. Nick Williams defense and mid range game starting coming along. Matt Roth showed his range. Dumes is a player who showed they can score in a variety of ways. I thought Pritchard hit a wall, but also didn't have much help inside on either end, and so I think he'll be better with less of a workload.

I loved Daniel Moore's heart, hustle, and intensity. Malik Story had decent spurts.

If they continue to play with heart and get better, then Rivers and the addition of the frosh class should only make this team better and deeper

Trader Joe
03-19-2009, 07:53 PM
if you're looking for a silver lining, Michigan was 10-22 last year...

Thanks for that pick me up.

Trader Joe
03-19-2009, 07:55 PM
The key to next season will be Watford, if he comes in ready to play 32+ minutes a game and put up 15+ppg we will be in very good shape.

Raoul Duke
03-20-2009, 06:44 PM
Can we put this behind us and start the 09-10 thread??

Pig Nash
03-21-2009, 10:52 AM
Yeah, that's how we live our lives now.

pwee31
03-27-2009, 11:05 AM
On a slightly positive note this year.... IU's ladies bball team are in the WNIT semifinals after getting snubbed from the big dance

Trader Joe
03-27-2009, 11:40 AM
Malik Story is transferring closer to home. Probably a good thing for us in the long run clears up space on the wings for some freshman and then opens up a scholarship for the 2010 class.

Big Smooth
03-28-2009, 05:44 AM
There were definitely good signs. Verdell Jones started gaining confidence and coming into his own at the end of the year. Nick Williams defense and mid range game starting coming along. Matt Roth showed his range. Dumes is a player who showed they can score in a variety of ways. I thought Pritchard hit a wall, but also didn't have much help inside on either end, and so I think he'll be better with less of a workload.

I loved Daniel Moore's heart, hustle, and intensity. Malik Story had decent spurts.

If they continue to play with heart and get better, then Rivers and the addition of the frosh class should only make this team better and deeper

Daniel Moore is horrible. But I guess it was fun watching him dribble himself off his own feet.

Verdell, Nick, Matt & Tom are the guys who I think can still contribute going forward.