PDA

View Full Version : Bball's Internet Grammar Pet Peeves

Bball
11-13-2008, 02:51 PM
This one has fast risen to the top of the list:
"Would have" or "Would've" NOT "Would of"

An oldie but a goody:
It's "Drivel" not "Dribble"
Proper example: I refuse to read any of your drivel.

Another:
"weather" and "whether"
Proper example: I'll be at the meeting place whether the weather is bad or good.

Honorable mention or just something to keep an eye out for:
I'm pretty sure these have just been typos but I have noticed that "where" and "wear" have been interchanged a few times recently at random sites.

----
These are not things exclusive to PD. These are just some things I've noticed on forums and blogs all over the internet. I'm sure there are several others that have slipped my mind... but will pop up to give me that 'fingernails on a chalkboard' feeling soon. ;)

-Bball

ilive4sports
11-13-2008, 03:07 PM
Your crazy...

I used the wrong on on purpose because it bothers me as well.

Your shows possession. You're (which is you are) is what i should have said.

count55
11-13-2008, 03:25 PM
definate (s/b definite)
differant (s/b different)
Graham busts this one, but "dominate" vs. "dominant". There is a surprising tendency for people to refer to someone as a "dominate" player...particularly when talking about JO.

jive vs. jibe - If something's a joke, then it's "jive". If something doesn't agree with something else, then it's "jibe". Example: The number of games missed doesn't jibe with your contention that Tinsley is durable.

prolly (C'mon...probably)

pwned (it was a typo, people)

"Just assume"...nope, it's "Just as soon"

then vs. than: Then is a time word, as in Now & Then. Than is a comparative, as in I like this team better than last year's.

(I'll admit I occasionally absent-mindedly screw up the Your/You're or the There/Their/They're routine, but it's usually just a brain fart.)

I'm sure I'll think of more later.

SoupIsGood
11-13-2008, 03:34 PM
'intensive purposes'

(Isn't it weird how 'jibe' is mostly used in the negative? I'm going to start talking about how things jibe when they actually do fit well together...)

Dab
11-13-2008, 04:00 PM
jive vs. jibe - If something's a joke, then it's "jive". If something doesn't agree with something else, then it's "jibe". Example: The number of games missed doesn't jibe with your contention that Tinsley is durable.

Amen brother, but I fear we're fighting a losing battle on this one. I've seen online dictionaries that say it's acceptable to use the definition of jive for jibe, and over the course of time usage dictates acceptability in this area (except in the case of ain't apparently.)

Improper apostrophe usage is what really bugs me. As I like to say, It's its!!

Knucklehead Warrior
11-13-2008, 04:07 PM
What a fun thread.
How about compliment and complement?:rolleyes:
My favorite all time Hoosierism -- supposively.

Eye toad jew heez code. :dance:

And now the grammar police police will come tell us it's not proper to make fun of people.

Hicks
11-13-2008, 04:33 PM
Hey, starting a thread to discuss it is fine. I just think it's lame to drop into the middle of a thread and bust people's balls over it.

As for the topic at hand itself, I'm still trying to make sure I get affect and effect straightened out.

My personal rule of thumb for both has been to think of it like this: Effect is used when referring to a result, Affect is used when referring to an action.

The effect of global warming continues to be studied. An over-use of CO2 will affect the earth's temperature.

Someone want to clarify that one for me?

Bball
11-13-2008, 05:06 PM
The effect of global warming continues to be studied. An over-use of CO2 will affect the earth's temperature.

No political discussions in my thread! ;) :devil:

-Bball

count55
11-13-2008, 05:08 PM
As for the topic at hand itself, I'm still trying to make sure I get affect and effect straightened out.

My personal rule of thumb for both has been to think of it like this: Effect is used when referring to a result, Affect is used when referring to an action.

My personal rule of thumb is to use "impact".

count55
11-13-2008, 05:12 PM
What a fun thread.
How about compliment and complement?:rolleyes:
My favorite all time Hoosierism -- supposively.

Eye toad jew heez code. :dance:

And now the grammar police police will come tell us it's not proper to make fun of people.

Supposably.

There's one phrase that I think is mistakenly used, both in speech and on the internet: I'm always confused when people say, "I could care less," when I'm pretty sure they mean, "I couldn't care less."

duke dynamite
11-13-2008, 05:48 PM
I hate it when people who IM or text using "your" instead of "you're".

Knucklehead Warrior
11-13-2008, 06:01 PM

I think you've got it. (Your rite) :laugh:
What a pain to have to remember something like this though in order to speak the language.

How about the difference between "between" and "among"?
Its (oops It's) almost never used properly and I think at some point (maybe now) it won't matter anymore.

count55
11-13-2008, 06:59 PM
I think you've got it. (Your rite) :laugh:
What a pain to have to remember something like this though in order to speak the language.

Its (oops It's) almost never used properly and I think at some point (maybe now) it won't matter anymore.

between - two things
among - more than two things

SoupIsGood
11-13-2008, 07:41 PM
Amen brother, but I fear we're fighting a losing battle on this one. I've seen online dictionaries that say it's acceptable to use the definition of jive for jibe, and over the course of time usage dictates acceptability in this area (except in the case of ain't apparently.)

The OED is still holding strong on this account. Fear not.

I think you've got it. (Your rite)

Also the difference between 'whether' and 'if' is a biggie.

'Nauseous' vs. 'nauseated' is a good one.

Yeeeeaaarghh this one drives me up the wall, as it leads people to use the word 'impact' in horribly strained ways. You're better off just learning the distinction between 'effect' and 'affect.'

Also, most people seem to either underuse or overuse the semicolon. I love it when it is simply used as needed. It's a great bit of punctuation. (There's a sentence in this thread simply crying out for a semicolon... can you find it?)

Bball
11-13-2008, 07:52 PM
Yeeeeaaarghh this one drives me up the wall, as it leads people to use the word 'impact' in horribly strained ways. You're better off just learning the distinction between 'effect' and 'affect.'

If Chicago J wasn't busy sticking pins in his Larry Bird voodoo doll he'd wanna have a talk with you over that! ;)

He's been thanked many times for offering the idea to forumites that they could just use impact when stuck with the affect/effect problem.

-Bball

SoupIsGood
11-13-2008, 07:55 PM
If Chicago J wasn't busy sticking pins in his Larry Bird voodoo doll he'd wanna have a talk with you over that! ;)

He's been thanked many times for offering the idea to forumites that they could just use impact when stuck with the affect/effect problem.

-Bball

btown's sarcastic crusade against Jay's 'impact' was my favorite thing about this site for a while. :)

Hicks
11-13-2008, 09:21 PM

Yeah, that was ChicagoJ's thing, too, but I grew tired of using impact as a blanket replacement for both.

Hicks
11-13-2008, 09:23 PM
between - two things
among - more than two things

So between this rule, my poor brain, and the peer pressure of Grammer Nazis, you're saying I'm screwed? ;)

Seriously, using among would feel weird.

"So among this rule, my poor brain, and the peer pressure of Grammer Nazis, you're saying I'm screwed?"

See? Weird.

count55
11-13-2008, 10:01 PM
Yeah, that was ChicagoJ's thing, too, but I grew tired of using impact as a blanket replacement for both.

I rarely use any of them. Therefore, I'm ok with using "impact" on those occasions.

Los Angeles
11-13-2008, 10:18 PM
In certain contexts, thanking Jay when you use "impact" has it's drawbacks:

I have an impacted colon (thanks Jay).

Shade
11-13-2008, 11:09 PM
Your crazy...

I used the wrong on on purpose because it bothers me as well.

Your shows possession. You're (which is you are) is what i should have said.

That one drives me crazy. I mean, really, how freakin' hard is it to differentiate "your" from "you're?"

"Your welcome." My welcome what? :hmm:

kester99
11-13-2008, 11:16 PM
Some things bother me less than others, but the fewer times I see them, the better.

Less soup.
Fewer peanuts.

If you can count them, it's fewer.

Sorry, soup.

----------

So, anyway, I go read the NBA.com article on Granger.

One of the reasons for the change is Lawrence Frank's new dribble-drive offense. The Nets are scoring off the dribble more often, so there are less assists.

Yeesh.

Stryder
11-14-2008, 02:20 AM
So between this rule, my poor brain, and the peer pressure of Grammer Nazis, you're saying I'm screwed? ;)

"So among this rule, my poor brain, and the peer pressure of Grammer Nazis, you're saying I'm screwed?"

See? Weird.

Grammar

SoupIsGood
11-14-2008, 04:09 AM

See? Weird.

You still use 'between' if the relationship between things is still of that "one thing directly in contrast/opposition to another" sort. (Did that make any sense?)

Gyron
11-14-2008, 10:28 AM
Noob and Newb.

Its NOOB damn it!

Vince Neil
11-14-2008, 01:12 PM
"Your and idiot"

Knucklehead Warrior
11-14-2008, 01:53 PM

indygeezer
11-14-2008, 02:28 PM
Noob and Newb.

Its NOOB damn it!

Nope...'tain't and I can prove it Newbie.

indygeezer
11-14-2008, 02:30 PM
I will be the first to admit that as I get older my spelling and punctuation have gotten worse, or perhaps that's just an effect of having been on the internet so much. It's between that and the lithium pills they give me.

Pig Nash
11-14-2008, 04:39 PM
actually it's n00b.

Anthem
11-17-2008, 12:14 PM
Hey, starting a thread to discuss it is fine. I just think it's lame to drop into the middle of a thread and bust people's balls over it.
:blush:

But as for the matter at hand, I say this:

http://www.pacersdigest.com/apache2-default/showthread.php?t=39729

Dr. Goldfoot
11-17-2008, 03:44 PM
'intensive purposes'

I'll add that it's actually "Intents & Purposes". Those who misuse don't know this.

cramerica
11-17-2008, 11:00 PM
I remember Harmonica and Sycamore Ken correcting me on a common one back in the day.

http://www.pacersdigest.com/apache2-default/showpost.php?p=227301&postcount=14

Los Angeles
11-20-2008, 12:38 AM

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/gawker/2008/05/english5.jpg

Los Angeles
11-20-2008, 12:39 AM
I don't mean to pick on UB, but I think the next time he uses a question mark at the end of a question will be his first. :)

SoupIsGood
11-20-2008, 01:30 AM
I don't mean to pick on UB, but I think the next time he uses a question mark at the end of a question will be his first. :)

I actually kind of like that. Certain questions don't get that upswing inflection at the end of the sentence, when spoken. I've pictured UB as the kind of guy who asks a lot of those deadpan Q's.

Sort of like the difference between "Why didn't you do that?" and "Why didn't you do that." or "So, you're saying you didn't do that?" and "So, you're saying you didn't do that." W/in dialogue in fiction at least, I think there's a huge difference there.

Also I think this hooks back to part of what I like so much about forum writing, in that it's a weird mix between formal standard English and writing that is supposed to sound as if you're just buddies shooting the ****. To be irked by UB's lack of question marks, or to appreciate it for its colloquial sound? Oh, the options.

Los Angeles
11-20-2008, 02:43 AM
I think you'd like reading Mamet's plays, Soup. Yes they are tremendously dark, but the way he tackles the English language is amazing. Every stammer, every pause and gutteral sound is accounted for. Many actors consider mastering a Mamet dialogue right up there with Shakespeare.

DrFife
11-24-2008, 03:57 PM
Did anyone wince over an onerous grammatical error in a certain local Pacer article this morning?

Moses
11-24-2008, 04:00 PM
Don't know if it has been stated yet, but lose is NOT loose.

Fail:
"I hate when the Pacers loose."

Win:
"I hate when the Pacers lose."

Stryder
11-24-2008, 04:06 PM
Ending sentences with prepositions.

Annoying!

indygeezer
11-24-2008, 06:52 PM
Yer all jist jealous cause I be better than y'all.

Anthem
11-24-2008, 07:04 PM

Annoying!
That's a rule up with which I will not put.

ChicagoJ
11-24-2008, 07:18 PM

Come on...

If I've made any contribution to this board in five years, it is to use IMPACT instead of either affect or effect.

:D

-Bball

That's better.

btown's sarcastic crusade against Jay's 'impact' was my favorite thing about this site for a while. :)

I don't remember that. I guess it didn't really impact me.

(Although I would find it funny...)

Ahhh... see, this is what I get for starting to reply before I finish reading the thread.

:blush:

(I'm sure I'll merge these in a few minutes.)

In certain contexts, thanking Jay when you use "impact" has it's drawbacks:

I have an impacted colon (thanks Jay).

Oh my.

SoupIsGood
11-24-2008, 11:53 PM

Is totally okay.

SoupIsGood
11-24-2008, 11:55 PM
I don't remember that. I guess it didn't really impact me.

He would use it in really awkward ways and then thank you (stuff like impactiveness, I think).

Since86
11-25-2008, 10:48 AM
Seen and saw.

I litterally cringe when I hear them misused in everyday conversation. There are some instances that are a tad bit sticky in knowing which one to use, can't think of any now, but for the most part it's extremely easy to tell.

Oh, and another pet peeve is when someone corrects another poster, and in their correction, they have mistakes.

ChicagoJ
11-25-2008, 04:09 PM
He would use it in really awkward ways and then thank you (stuff like impactiveness, I think).

Oh yeah, I do remember that. Good times.

(Free Btown).

Shade
11-25-2008, 07:13 PM
actually it's n00b.

Thank you! :nod:

Shade
11-25-2008, 07:18 PM
Grammar

I love this thread. :lol:

Shade
11-25-2008, 07:19 PM
Seen and saw.

I litterally cringe when I hear them misused in everyday conversation. There are some instances that are a tad bit sticky in knowing which one to use, can't think of any now, but for the most part it's extremely easy to tell.

Oh, and another pet peeve is when someone corrects another poster, and in their correction, they have mistakes.

Would you say that...grinds your gears? ;)