PDA

View Full Version : Purdue College Basketball Thread

DisplacedKnick
11-11-2008, 11:30 PM
I'm sure the IU thread will dwarf this one once it gets going but thought I'd start this anyway.

I was actually disappointed that we're ranked 10th and 11th in the two major polls. I'd feel better if we could sneak up on everyone.

The freshmen are all sophomores now and the sophs are juniors. We should be good but IMO the real key to how good we'll be is Jajuan Johnson. If he makes a big improvement we could be dangerous. If he doesn't we'll be a good shooting team that wins a lot of games and gets eliminated the 1st tourney game our shots don't fall.

Jonathan
11-12-2008, 09:53 AM
Keep in mind the following teams were ranked in the top ten in football this season

Clemson
West Virginia
Auburn

I agree with your logic. It does put an X on a young team's back that did not even reach the elite 8 last year!

Robertmto
11-13-2008, 01:38 PM
Puck Furdue

Shade
11-13-2008, 01:53 PM
Puck Furdue

What he said. :cool:

count55
11-13-2008, 04:13 PM
Puck Furdue

I think I went to school with that guy.

Jonathan
11-14-2008, 11:50 AM
Displaced Knick do you think this Hummell kid will be a pro? I also do not like the star calling him the favorite for Big Ten Player of the year. Remember SI had Curtis Painter as the Big Ten Player of the year for college football. I believe no player from Purdue outside of a Glenn Robinson type should ever be picked for an award b/c it is a curse.

On a side note as Glenn Robinson son committed to any college?

Major Cold
11-14-2008, 12:29 PM
Ok I am a Hoosier. But I will be looking (but not touching)at Purdue this year a little bit. I can't help it. I like Painter as a coach. I hate Purdue fans, but I don't mind watching them play. I hope they have a good season, except when they lose to IU.

Shade
11-14-2008, 01:20 PM
Ok I am a Hoosier. But I will be looking (but not touching)at Purdue this year a little bit. I can't help it. I like Painter as a coach. I hate Purdue fans, but I don't mind watching them play. I hope they have a good season, except when they lose to IU.

IU only only plays Purdue once this season, and it's at Purdue. Not a chance in hell we win that one.

Hell, I'm not sure we can beat IUPUI this year.

DisplacedKnick
11-14-2008, 04:14 PM
Displaced Knick do you think this Hummell kid will be a pro? I also do not like the star calling him the favorite for Big Ten Player of the year. Remember SI had Curtis Painter as the Big Ten Player of the year for college football. I believe no player from Purdue outside of a Glenn Robinson type should ever be picked for an award b/c it is a curse.

On a side note as Glenn Robinson son committed to any college?

Hummel might be but not a star. Moore's the only one with real star potential - except every now and then Johnson does something crazy.

Of course at the start of his soph year I'd have never thought Brad Miller would make much of a pro either so don't take what I say too seriously.

The best thing is that IMO only Moore has the potential to leave early and then only after next year. I've been pointing to next season since the beginning of last year. A bunch of very good college players who may never be pros who'll play together a long time.

MyFavMartin
11-14-2008, 10:04 PM
I believe no player from Purdue outside of a Glenn Robinson type should ever be picked for an award b/c it is a curse.

Drew Brees?

grace
11-15-2008, 04:57 PM
Drew Brees?

Mike Alstott?

Dab
11-19-2008, 09:21 AM
Purdue moves to 3-0 with a 78 - 46 pasting of Loyola (IL) and move on to the semifinals of the preseason NIT (with a brief pitstop against Coppin State.)

Maybe I'm getting spoiled, but despite blowing out each of their first 3 opponents, I keep seeing all kinds of areas where they can improve.

I'm happy with the defensive intensity however.

DisplacedKnick
11-19-2008, 11:27 AM
It was nice of Jajuan Johnson to get a few blocks but is he going to rebound at all?

Be nice to see what we have when we get to play some real teams.

Dab
12-02-2008, 07:28 PM
We coulda-shoulda won that Oklahoma game, but a chance for redemption tonight against Duke. It won't be the end of the world if Purdue loses, but it will probably feel like it. Obviously, Hummel is much more effective when he's actually in the game, rather than sitting on the bench in foul trouble, so here's hoping Robbie can stay on the right side of the refs tonight.

DisplacedKnick
12-03-2008, 09:05 AM
Strange how I feel better about our team after getting beat.

No way are we a top-5 or even top-10 team this year - second-10 is where we sit. We should have beat OK and that didn't go well with me but last night's game pointed out exactly what we are - a good-shooting team that works hard on D but has real problems if our shots aren't falling. And against top teams, your shots won't fall.

We really need Johnson to become a presence inside to become a top-10 team. I hope we can be there by March and I expect we will next season.

Major Cold
12-03-2008, 01:07 PM
Rosevelt Colvin?
Shade I am an IU fan. Meaning I will always assume we will beat the Boilmakers. And if that doesn't happen, then I will ignore that fact. Don't let my sunshine spoil your rain.

Shade
12-08-2008, 08:36 PM
Get your silver lining the hell away from my cloud, coldy.

Jonathan
12-16-2008, 02:40 PM
Purdue vs Davison in the Wooden Classic Saturday.

Purdue should win but who guards Curry?

Moore?

grace
12-20-2008, 04:55 PM
:bump:

Anyone watching the game against Davidson?

DisplacedKnick
12-20-2008, 06:07 PM
I'll take that. We got a little sloppy in the 2nd half and Moore had a few bonehead plays but defending Curry like that sure works.

Don't think I've ever seen Hummel have a better game and I'm always glad to see Johnson play well.

grace
12-20-2008, 07:26 PM
It was a great game. I just wish they would have shown the end of the MSU/Texas game. How difficult is it for a network to do picture in picture?

Jonathan
12-21-2008, 11:02 AM
Was @ the game. They had 2-1 Tickets. Impressed with Hummell & Johnson. Purdue needs to gain confidence to become a top tier team ie Duke. This should help their confidence. Painter is a great coach.

Dab
12-22-2008, 10:47 AM
Nice to see Keaton have a good game. Hopefully he can get back to the form he showed last year.

Since86
12-22-2008, 11:28 AM
Was @ the game. They had 2-1 Tickets. Impressed with Hummell & Johnson. Purdue needs to gain confidence to become a top tier team ie Duke. This should help their confidence. Painter is a great coach.

I think there is the top tier, North Carolina, then everyone else.

They have a very good chance of running the table, and considering they play in the ACC, that's saying something. Some really good team on a normal day is going to have to play their best game of the season, and UNC play their worst in order for them to lose.

Or massive injuries/illnesses, or the end of the world as we know it. It is scary how good, and how loaded with talent they are this year, then throw in that Ginyard hasn't stepped on to the court, and Zeller will miss the rest of the season. Mind boggling.

A big group of us went to the PU/Davidson game as well. Sat way up top for the first half, then three of us left the group and sat right in front of the electronic booth above the tunnel on the Davidson end.

Purdue couldn't miss, Davidson couldn't hit when they did get a good shot off, which will Purdue's defense was few and far between. I said it in the recruiting thread talking about Curry, but PU might have the best defensive team in the nation. Their rotations were flawless, and they have extremely good one on one defenders to boot. Bigger teams that are able to bang while give them fits, obviously.

Very bland game though IMHO. PU just totally took Davidson out of what they were trying to do, whenever they wanted too. Davidson either outscored them, or kept on pace with PU after it was 25-2, but that wasn't because of what Davidson was doing. They would go on a nice little run, PU would put the clamps on and get the lead back into the 25pt range.

Dab
12-29-2008, 11:14 AM
Heading into the Big Ten season, I'm optimistic, but there are a lot of areas of concern, especially on offense. I haven't really been impressed with the way Purdue runs its offense, especially in regards to shot selection. It seems they still hoist the ball up way too quickly without moving it around, and often settle for a 3-pointer, which is great when they're falling, but if they're not...

Hopefully Jajuan can continue to improve. He has looked good these last few games, being aggressive offensively and rebounding well. We are going to need him to be an inside presence in the Big Ten. Calasan hasn't been the same since his injury, and we really need him to be playing as he was earlier. The real Keaton Grant needs to show up. Hummel needs to find his suddenly-missing shot, and to continue his good rebounding.

Defensively, we just need to maintain our intensity.

Big game Tuesday against Illinois. Go Boilers!!

DisplacedKnick
12-29-2008, 03:48 PM
Illinois will be a nice test - they've beaten Missouri, Kansas State, Georgia & Vandy this year. It's just hard to figure out if that means anything. You know they'll look at this as a measuring stick.

DisplacedKnick
12-30-2008, 10:33 PM
And for your latest edition of "Why jump-shooting teams can lose on any given night . . ."

Shade
12-30-2008, 10:37 PM
Oklahoma lost tonight, too.

DisplacedKnick
12-30-2008, 11:09 PM
I thought from day 1 we were overrated. We might be a top-25 team but barely.

Shade
12-30-2008, 11:17 PM
I was also surprised to see PU crack the top ten.

Dab
01-05-2009, 04:32 PM
Looks like Hummel and Kramer will be out for tomorrow's game at Penn State. Neither has practiced since the Illinois game.

Rivals Article (http://purdue.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=896740)

ilive4sports
01-06-2009, 04:45 PM
Im looking forward to see how PSU does tonight against a team of Purdue's caliber. We played Wisconsin tough at Wisconsin. That was after a big comeback win at home against Northwestern, which is a good team this year too. I don't really know what to expect tonight.

LoneGranger33
01-06-2009, 07:33 PM
Boston College loses to St. Louis University and Purdue - nowhere near top 25. Beats UNC - ranked 17th.

DisplacedKnick
01-07-2009, 09:32 AM
Im looking forward to see how PSU does tonight against a team of Purdue's caliber. We played Wisconsin tough at Wisconsin. That was after a big comeback win at home against Northwestern, which is a good team this year too. I don't really know what to expect tonight.

Looks like you found out - congrats.

I'm stiill trying to figure out how good PU is - evidently not good enough to be missing our best offensive player & our best perimeter defender and beat Penn St in their building.

Be nice to get a Conf win though.

Shade
01-08-2009, 01:08 AM
Boston College loses to St. Louis University and Purdue - nowhere near top 25. Beats UNC - ranked 17th.

And then BC turns around and loses tonight.

To Harvard.

How does that happen? :lol:

grace
01-09-2009, 05:13 PM
And then BC turns around and loses tonight.

To Harvard.

How does that happen? :lol:

Cosmic payback for firing the football coach.

DisplacedKnick
01-11-2009, 03:44 PM
LOVE seeing Johnson play well. Have I mentioned how important I think he is? The team is finding him much better than they did earlier too. Nice to finally get a Conf win - also nice to be getting healthy.

Dab
01-11-2009, 03:51 PM
It's also nice to see them be more patient on offense. Good things happen when they do that.

Dab
01-16-2009, 09:58 AM
The Northwestern game wasn't pretty, but I'll take any Big Ten road win.

All in all, a pretty good day for the Boilermakers. The men's basketball team narrowly escapes Evanston with a win, and a Purdue grad narrowly escapes disaster by piloting a 767 to a safe landing on the Hudson river.

DisplacedKnick
01-16-2009, 12:34 PM
The Northwestern game wasn't pretty, but I'll take any Big Ten road win.

All in all, a pretty good day for the Boilermakers. The men's basketball team narrowly escapes Evanston with a win, and a Purdue grad narrowly escapes disaster by piloting a 767 to a safe landing on the Hudson river.

Having ridden on both I can say with complete certainty that there's a big difference between an A320 Airbus and a Boeing 767. That said, great job by the pilot whatever he was flying.

Dab
01-16-2009, 01:39 PM
Wow, looks like I need to work on my reading comprehension.

Maybe that's why I never actually graduated from Purdue. Or IU, for that matter.

DisplacedKnick
01-18-2009, 01:52 PM
Nice to see we're finally gonna beat a crap team by a decent margin - that Northwestern game was a bit of a concern. Another nice measuring stick at Minn on Thursday. Our next 5 are all against solid teams so we need to get rolling.

Dab
01-21-2009, 08:47 PM
Wow, what a big win for Northwestern in East Lansing. That really improves Purdue's chances of getting a Big Ten regular season championship.

I'm so glad we beat Northwestern.

Shade
01-22-2009, 12:31 AM
Great, now IU doesn't even have a chance of beating perennial punching bags Northwestern or Penn State.

0-19, here we come. :sigh:

DisplacedKnick
01-22-2009, 07:17 AM
Wow, what a big win for Northwestern in East Lansing. That really improves Purdue's chances of getting a Big Ten regular season championship.

I'm so glad we beat Northwestern.

NW's starting to look like a pretty decent team. Starting tonight, the next 5 games will show what kind of team we are - all good teams and 4 of them on the road.

DisplacedKnick
01-22-2009, 09:56 PM
OK - phase 1 passed. I hope by the end of the season that this still looks like a good win. Holding the other team to under 28% shooting in their building isn't bad whoever it is. And again, JJ had a huge game. Don't like missing the FT's or the TO's though - we usually don't have problems with either of those.

Raoul Duke
01-22-2009, 10:19 PM
During IU's worst season their thread is still twice as long as Purdue's during one of their best (definitely most hyped). I hope I never hear anyone compare the two programs ever again.

Dab
01-23-2009, 10:20 AM
Looks like you'll have to start with yourself if you want that wish to come true.

Major Cold
01-23-2009, 10:50 AM
Purdue won big last night. If they win the next few games they are favorites for he big ten title.

Jonathan
01-23-2009, 11:34 AM
Johnson is developing into a real respectable player. He might leave early and go to the pros.

DisplacedKnick
01-23-2009, 11:45 AM
Johnson is developing into a real respectable player. He might leave early and go to the pros.

If he leaves after this year he's crazy - he has no game outside 15 ft and isn't close to being able to do anything on the inside at the pro level. After next year - maybe. I just hope some agent doesn't brainwash him - even in this year's crummy draft I don't see him going in the 1st rd.

Dab
01-23-2009, 11:50 AM

It was great to see JaJuan have that kind of game on the road. He's done it many times at home, but is usually not the same player away. If he can continue to improve and be consistent it makes Purdue so much better, both offensively and defensively. I'd still like to see his rebound numbers get up higher, but it's hard to complain about his progress at this point.

Dab
01-28-2009, 12:28 AM
Impressive win tonight as Purdue is able to overcome a desperate Wisconsin team. They certainly seemed to have found that mental toughness they were lacking earlier in the season, and they're running the offense much better now. And it's another good road game for Jajuan. Everything is looking good except for Hummel's back. And Lewjack's vision.

DisplacedKnick
01-31-2009, 03:46 PM
Interesting game. Michigan lost a little discipline after the Harris elbow and that was the difference. Not sure if Harris should have been ejected - it was definitely a flagrant - you can't wave elbows around at head-level but it wasn't intentional - maybe that's an automatic eject in college.

Hummel's pretty decent for a cripple. Too bad he won't be healthy this year.

grace
02-01-2009, 02:36 PM
Not sure if Harris should have been ejected

I can't believe they coach wasn't after the way he was acting.

Here's hoping in the next game another Boiler doesn't get taken out. Two games in a row is 2 too many.

DisplacedKnick
02-02-2009, 12:12 PM
And with Penn St. beating MSU we're now tied for first in the Conf in the loss column. Plus our losing to PSU isn't looking as bad as I thought it would.

Dab
02-04-2009, 12:44 PM
I didn't get to see the game last night, and we had a chance to win there at the end of regulation, but it's hard to get too down about losing a game on the road with Hummel out and several others nursing injuries. It would've been nice to finally win at Value City Arena, but the team is progressing. How far we go this year is going to depend on Hummel's back.

DisplacedKnick
02-08-2009, 04:22 PM
:puke: We aren't the same team without Hummel but even missing him there's no excuse for making ourselves that easy to defend. Way too much bouncing the ball and way too little passing, crummy spacing - just plain bad play.

Illinois impressed me offensively though.

Greg Anthony did not. Some day I'll figure out how both Webber's and Painter's coaching styles were determined by Bobby Knight.

grace
02-08-2009, 10:28 PM
Some day I'll figure out how both Webber's and Painter's coaching styles were determined by Bobby Knight.

When you do make sure you pass the info along. Kegboy and I had no idea what he was talking about.

DisplacedKnick
02-14-2009, 11:10 PM
That's an "ugh" game. And what's Johnson doing getting zero boards?

Better than a loss but it doesn't give me much hope for Tuesday.

DisplacedKnick
02-17-2009, 09:29 PM
That was unexpected - unfortunately I didn't get to see it. Had to be the defense. Nice to win a game where our outside shooting sucked.

grace
02-17-2009, 10:20 PM
I didn't expect it either, but I think Kegboy did. I talked to him before the game. He said he wasn't afraid of MSU. (I figured he was still delirious from his illness.) He said if Purdue lost it would be because they beat themselves.

As for why MSU lost it was probably equal parts Purdue's defense and MSU's inability to his the broad side of a barn (even from underneath the basket).

Kegboy
02-18-2009, 09:19 AM
We just match up against State very well, I've thought so all year. They're very talented, but I've yet to see the mental toughness that's needed to handle our D.

Now, we just need to not get a big head and take care of business Saturday.

DisplacedKnick
02-18-2009, 09:38 AM
If Hummel can stay healthy we're finally starting to resemble a dangerous team. We have post play, shooters and a couple of guys who can break down defenses. Plus our own defense is tough - except when we play Illinois. The way Johnson's come on, by the Big Ten Tournament we may actually be worth the top-10 ranking we shouldn't have had early in the year.

Michigan's a trap game for us.

BRushWithDeath
02-18-2009, 01:49 PM
Purdue is a different team with Hummel. He makes them a much better team.

DisplacedKnick
02-19-2009, 07:22 AM
Rather than start another thread, I'm glad I didn't watch Penn St-Illinois last night. Might have had to gouge my eyes out after that. I like defense but 38-33 is a little excessive.

Anyway, we're now in control of the Big Ten - win out and it's ours. Easier said than done.

Kegboy
02-19-2009, 09:31 AM
Rather than start another thread, I'm glad I didn't watch Penn St-Illinois last night. Might have had to gouge my eyes out after that. I like defense but 38-33 is a little excessive.

Anyway, we're now in control of the Big Ten - win out and it's ours. Easier said than done.

Too bad UB doesn't like college ball, he would have loved it.

Dab
02-21-2009, 04:57 PM
I've got to hand it to IU. They played hard, scrapped, and stayed in a game in a hostile environment against a team that has superior talent. But a win's a win, I'll take it.

I'm not too worried about Robbie Hummel going pro early -- I don't think he's going to survive that long.

BRushWithDeath
02-21-2009, 05:16 PM
I've got to hand it to IU. They played hard, scrapped, and stayed in a game in a hostile environment against a team that has superior talent. But a win's a win, I'll take it.

I'm not too worried about Robbie Hummel going pro early -- I don't think he's going to survive that long.

IU has played extremely hard for Crean all year. Unfortunately, they just don't have any talent. But they will. Crean will make them a force to be reckoned with again within the next 5 years if they give him the time. Which I think they will.

DisplacedKnick
02-21-2009, 07:12 PM
I didn't see it but missing all those FT's is usually a lack of concentration. And I believe IU is the 2nd team this year to shoot 50% vs us which either means they're really good - or something else.

Jonathan
02-25-2009, 03:59 PM
Michigan is not a bad team keep in mind they did beat UCLA earlier this season. What is the status of Hummell. Tom Pritchard hit him with a great screen. That is the second time this year a lack of communication has injured a player.

DisplacedKnick
02-25-2009, 05:18 PM
Trap game. I call it a toss-up. Michigan's athletic enough to really hurt us if we don't bring our A-game - and undisciplined enough where if we do bring our A-game we could have a walkover.

DisplacedKnick
02-26-2009, 11:30 PM
Color me unsurprised. Didn't see it but Michigan shooting 63% doesn't fill me with hope for the future. Hopefully the team can get its focus back.

Big W for Michigan - might be the one that gets them into the tournament. They still have to finish the season well and maybe win 1 tournament game.

grace
02-26-2009, 11:58 PM
Trap game.

You do realize I blame this loss on you. :slap:

Dab
02-28-2009, 05:56 PM
Well that was nice. Could the whole team be getting healthy at the right time? That scenario hasn't worked out for the Colts lately.

DisplacedKnick
02-28-2009, 06:11 PM
Well that was nice. Could the whole team be getting healthy at the right time? That scenario hasn't worked out for the Colts lately.

We can hope - but the last two games they didn't have their focus. It's easy to forget that we start a freshman and 4 sophomores - still a very young team. Nice that they woke up - no reason to have another let down until they finish playing the NCAA's.

Dab
03-01-2009, 07:29 PM
Big Ten regular season championship out of reach now, but a win over MSU would still be nice for seeding purposes. And of course, a Big Ten tourney championship is something the Purdue men have never won.

It's been very encouraging to see the way Hummel has been moving these last couple of games.

Dab
03-02-2009, 05:51 PM
Big Ten regular season championship out of reach now...

...barring one of the most god-awesome upsets in college basketball history, that is.

DisplacedKnick
03-04-2009, 09:15 PM
So much for our seeding - unless we win out anyway.

Jonathan
03-05-2009, 01:15 PM
Purdue Fans. Does this loss hurt more than the Kyle Orton Fumble against Wisconsin?

BRushWithDeath
03-05-2009, 11:14 PM
Purdue Fans. Does this loss hurt more than the Kyle Orton Fumble against Wisconsin?

Seriously?

DisplacedKnick
03-07-2009, 08:41 AM
At least the women are coming to play.

Tomorrow will be interesting. IMO if we're healthy and playing well, we're a better team than MSU. The problem is, we haven't been playing well since we're also a better team than Michigan and Northwestern if we're playing well. There was a time during the middle of the season when I thought an Elite 8 in the NCAA's was reasonable. Now it's looking like a 6/7 seed and out in the 2nd. Nice thing about basketball is how quickly it can turn around though.

DisplacedKnick
03-08-2009, 01:30 PM
That was pure ugliness. At least on offense.

I'm not a big Al McGuire fan but right now I'm buying into his "The best thing about freshmen is they become sophomores." I haven't seen worse PG play since the last time I watched Georgetown.

Pass the ball? Nah.

Set up Johnson on the interior? Not today.

Get the ball to Hummell on the wing? Can't be bothered.

Instead the smallest guy on the floor decides to do his Travis Best imitation and, when all else fails, drive into the teeth of the defense and either turn it over or throw up some crazy shot.

At least we brought the effort. Good thing the defense was solid or we'd have lost by 25.

Dab
03-14-2009, 09:30 AM
Wow, there's Purdue's offense....can it show up two games in a row?

DisplacedKnick
03-14-2009, 11:42 AM
I'm more worried about the defense. We match up horribly with Illinois. Their ball movement made us look stupid the last game.

grace
03-14-2009, 12:29 PM
This matchup is exactly what Kegboy was worried would happen.

Kraft
03-14-2009, 03:09 PM
Illinois looked OK without Chester Frazier yesterday, but he's a key to their defense. Brock can still guard people, but Legion, Keller and especially Meacham are matchups that can be exploited.

Key should be down low. Calasan has to play well again and root Tisdale out of the post. That lets JaJuan play against Mike Davis, who could be a matchup problem otherwise.

DisplacedKnick
03-14-2009, 05:29 PM
That worked. Don't like us getting sloppy the last 5 minutes. Then again, if you're going to get sloppy the last 5 minutes at least be up 20.

We should win tomorrow but the correlation between what this team should do and what actually happens hasn't been particularly close this year.

Kraft
03-15-2009, 03:49 AM
Ohio State's a talented squad, as always. They just never play together long enough to mesh. But in the games that they come together, it's a dangerous group.

Turner's a tough guard for anyone.

DisplacedKnick
03-15-2009, 01:38 PM
Since there isn't a general NCAA basketball thread I'll just comment that based on what I'm seeing in the SEC Championship Game, that deserves to be no more than a 2-bid conference - and if LSU had gotten through, maybe a 1-bid conference. I'm absolutely certain Penn St would beat either of those teams and pretty sure Northwestern would too.

Granted, anyone can have a bad game - if you watched Purdue vs Mich St or Illinois earlier in the year you'd decide we should move to Division III. But those two teams aren't very good today.

Kraft
03-15-2009, 04:43 PM
Really good to see a Purdue team that doesn't play its best but can still beat a solid squad. If they don't shoot well in an NCAA game or get Johnson/Calasan/Hummel into foul trouble, they have to be able to overcome that adversity.

The way to get over those kinds of things is to have a little help from everyone, and the Boilers got that. It also was a plus that Moore was more aggresive at points. Purdue's a better team when that happens. Not E'Twaun forcing things, but being willing to take and make when no one else can.

Dab
03-15-2009, 04:52 PM
Really nice to see. Everybody contributed in this one, and although Robbie didn't have an outstanding shooting day, he really seems to be moving nicely now, his back must not be giving him much trouble. There were a couple of instances where he showed some hops that I haven't seen from him this season.

DisplacedKnick
03-15-2009, 06:16 PM
Yeah - he even blocked a couple of shots. I'd like us to close games a little better - we made the last 3 minutes more tense than they needed to be. But it's a title - can't kick too much.

I was hoping for a 4 seed except I think N Iowa's an easier matchup than if we'd gotten the 4. Miss St looks very athletic but undisciplined. Them and Tenn were trying to outstupid each other today and Tenn won. Usually we can get a team like that playing out of their comfort zone but athletically if they put it together they could cause us some trouble.

We'll see what happens - at our best we can play with anybody. We just haven't been at our best enough this year.

Dab
03-15-2009, 08:14 PM
You gotta like how we're taking good care of the ball. The short blurb on UNI was that they don't beat themselves, so it would be nice if we continue that trend.

Dab
03-19-2009, 09:53 AM
Let's go Boilers!!

Kraft
03-19-2009, 01:24 PM
Memphis just showed Clark Kellogg's definition of spurtability.

DisplacedKnick
03-19-2009, 02:21 PM
Up 12 at the half, E'Twaun & JJ shooting well, Hummel isn't but has 5 boards - I'll take that.

Too bad I'm working and can't watch.

DisplacedKnick
03-19-2009, 03:35 PM
Caught the last 8 minutes.

The last time we closed out a game strong was . . .? We didn't in the BT Tournament any game and we sure didn't today.

duke dynamite
03-19-2009, 03:56 PM
I'm glad they won.

Dab
03-20-2009, 08:21 AM
It got closer at the end than anybody in Black and Gold would have liked, but it's on to the second round. You gotta love the way Hummel is moving around out there. He got quite a few rebounds where he just anticipated where the ball was going to be and then beat everybody there.

The game with Washington is going to be tough.

Go Boilers!

DisplacedKnick
03-21-2009, 07:38 AM
There's nothing that makes me feel good about this game at all. Maybe they'll surprise me.

Dab
03-21-2009, 10:27 AM
We just have to go out and play our game. Will it be enough? I don't know.

DisplacedKnick
03-21-2009, 11:33 AM
If we play our good game I think it will be. If we play the game we did Thursday where we were late covering their perimeter players and getting picked off screens with astonishing regularity and play scared the last 5 minutes, it won't be.

I think it'll be tight down the stretch and I have zero confidence in our ability to win a tight game down the stretch. Then again, we are the only 5 seed to win in the 1st rd so that's something anyway.

Dab
03-21-2009, 12:31 PM
I think it'll be tight down the stretch and I have zero confidence in our ability to win a tight game down the stretch. Then again, we are the only 5 seed to win in the 1st rd so that's something anyway.

Are we really the only fifth seed to make it? Dang. I agree, I'd rather not be in that scenario at the end of the game, but if we are, the guy I want to see at the line is Kramer. He has really become nails from the line at crunch time, which is what you would expect from a team leader.

Somebody is going to need to step up big time, and I'm hoping it's JaJuan. He needs to stay out of foul trouble, and we need to have a good start. With the fan contingent they will have there, we don't want them to get on a roll or it could be Duke all over again. And it would be nice (or almost imperative actually) for Calasan to make a real contribution today. I know he can do it, he's just got to keep his head in the game.

Dab
03-21-2009, 05:05 PM
It doesn't seem like we're playing particularly well, but we're up 20-8 with 9:30 left in the 1st half.

Dab
03-21-2009, 05:31 PM
A nice first half, Purdue up 11 at the break.

JaJuan is having a nice 1st half, gets the dunk to end the 1st half, but more importantly he's stayed clear of foul trouble. Purdue is playing very smart.

Wow, I didn't realize that Keaton has 7 rebounds. Very nice.

Dab
03-21-2009, 06:43 PM
Hey, it's our old friend, Crunch Time. 3:22 to go, Purdue up 4 with the ball, but we just used our last timeout. Jackson, Moore and Green all have 4 fouls. JaJuan has been a man today.

Dab
03-21-2009, 06:48 PM
JaJuan has been a man today.

So has Brockman for UW. I wouldn't mind having him on my team.

DisplacedKnick
03-21-2009, 07:01 PM
I feel better now - we won a game we had every reason to lose - fouls called NBA-style for an opponent, a crowd working against us and a basket that we managed to put a lid over at the end of the game. Hit some FT's and defended tough.

And for me this makes the season a success, whatever we do the next round. If we'd gone out in this rd for the 3rd straight year it would have meant zero progress and a real question whether this bunch of sophs would ever be better than they are right now.

Of course if we make the Elite 8 the season will become a breakthrough.

DisplacedKnick
03-21-2009, 07:11 PM
Just realized we get UConn next - I've considered them the most vulnerable 1 seed since this started. Unfortunately I don't think we match up all that well with them.

Twes
03-21-2009, 07:52 PM
Congratulations! It's nice to see somebody have some success

heywoode
03-21-2009, 09:31 PM
Uconn will be tough, but the Boilers are scrappy. They can give anyone BIG problems on any night. Remember, if we don't match up with them very well, they don't match up with us very well either. It comes down to who can exploit the mismatches the most effectively.

GO BOILERS!

DisplacedKnick
03-23-2009, 06:11 AM
We'll have a shot against them. If Thabeet gets in foul trouble we'll have a REAL good chance. If he doesn't, well, we'll see just how far JJ has really come this season.

We still aren't playing the way we did in January. Our ball pressure on the perimeter hasn't been up to standards and we haven't been swinging the ball on offense like we did either - Washington would have been vulnerable to quick ball reversals and we didn't do it enough.

The good thing is I expect us and Missouri to be the least talked about Sweet 16 teams in the tournament. A huge focus will be on the Mighty Big East getting 5 teams this far - maybe it'll honk our guys off and UConn has lost a bit of focus at times this year.

It'll be interesting - if we're playing our best ball we can be right with them. Despite the way they've won their 1st 2 games I still think they're the 1 Seed most susceptible to getting bounced because they've shown an ability to get taken out of their game by intense defense, especially since losing Dyson. They've won games played in the 60's but that's when they can be beat - this game gets into the 80's or 90's and we're screwed.

Whatever happens, it's nice being here again and it means the season's already a success (hopefully the players won't take that attitude though).

Kraft
03-23-2009, 11:11 AM
The thing with UConn is that they're a much worse team when Thabeet can't just camp out in the post. He's not all that mobile past 6 feet. Johnson's able to step out and force a perimeter matchup. He can not get in foul trouble -- which really isn't anything new.

Purdue should have offensive options. You can either bring JJ out and open up the inside for Lewis, Kramer, E'Twaun or just let Thabeet camp and use crisp ball movement on the outside to find open jumpers.

Defensively, the Huskies are a tough matchup for anyone. Handling Adrien will be tough, because Purdue doesn't have a solid physical match. JJ's long but could get muscled. Calasan is too slow. Hummel might get a shot, but that's not a 1-on-1 I like. Marcus Green can probably slow him for about two minutes and two quick fouls.

Shade
03-23-2009, 11:20 AM
I have Purdue beating Texas A&M in my bracket to make it to the Elite Eight. Regardless, I think Purdue can beat UConn.

DisplacedKnick
03-24-2009, 07:05 AM
Are we a finesse team? I ask because the NY Post has an article where Pete Gillen says we'll lose to Connecticut because we're a finesse team.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/03242009/sports/college/big_east_may_send_4_teams_to_semifinals_161106.htm

We don't have a Blair on the frontline or anything but I don't think I'd call the way we defend finesse.

Kraft
03-24-2009, 03:20 PM
Are we a finesse team? I ask because the NY Post has an article where Pete Gillen says we'll lose to Connecticut because we're a finesse team.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/03242009/sports/college/big_east_may_send_4_teams_to_semifinals_161106.htm

We don't have a Blair on the frontline or anything but I don't think I'd call the way we defend finesse.

NY Post, meet Chris Kramer.

He's finesse?

Even the jump shooters like Hummel and Moore are willing to get their noses dirty. Were JJ's blocks finesse plays? Jackson's body-sacrificing drives?

So I guess my answer's no.

Kraft
03-24-2009, 03:21 PM
Good news for the Purdue women's team, too.

DisplacedKnick
03-26-2009, 06:00 AM
So - UConn cheated? Nobody's talking about us anyway - now they can talk about us even less.

I'm really looking forward to this game. I think we have a legit shot- worse matchup for us than Louisville but better than either NC or Pitt would be.

Dab
03-26-2009, 09:26 AM
There are lot of things we need to do to win, but two that stick out for me are that we're going to have to be hitting from the outside (3-pointers or otherwise) and our defense is going to need to keep the score down. A lot of points off turnovers would be good too. Wait, that's three things.

duke dynamite
03-26-2009, 09:42 AM
Man, I can't wait for this game.

DisplacedKnick
03-26-2009, 11:56 AM
Yup. There was a time when being in the Sweet Sixteen was just, "meh." But it's been a while.

And you gotta love that we were already the forgotten team before the recruiting story broke - that turned us into the invisible team. We definitely have a shot.

Since86
03-26-2009, 12:20 PM
Man, I can't wait for this game.

This has been bugging me since you changed your avatar.

How did you become a PU fan way down in Bedford?

duke dynamite
03-26-2009, 12:48 PM
This has been bugging me since you changed your avatar.

How did you become a PU fan way down in Bedford?

First off, I was born and raised in Indianapolis. I was up-rooted to Southern Indiana at age 15.

Brother goes to IU.
Step brother goes to Purdue.

Since I didn't go to either school, I like both. I understand the rivalry, but when they play each other, I'll go IU. Right now, I like Purdue. The Boilers are representing our state right now. Also, they have a good, smart team, and it would be nice to see them win over big teams.

Most of you guys know I am a fan for almost any local team (Pro, College, whatever). I went to Bedford N. Lawrence (at least graduated from there) and Bloomington South has a shot at a State Championship. Well, I'm pulling for them.

I understand it bothers you, but since I am unaffiliated, the rivalry doesn't really get to me.

As for the avatar, I never really thought anyone would catch on, but I plan on changing it whenever Purdue's run is over. Hopefully it won't be soon.

DisplacedKnick
03-26-2009, 01:08 PM
I've always thought it was hilarious how you had to be for one or the other. When I first moved to Indiana I lived in the southern part of the state and everyone always asked me, "Are you for Purdue or IU?" They were always shocked when I said neither - that I followed Syracuse. "You HAVE to be for someone."

Finally I told them, "Well, IU's never done a single thing for me and at least Purdue sends me money on a regular basis."

Eventually once I realized that Purdue at least held its students and coaches to some sort of standards while at IU you could commit murder as long as you won, my support solidified.

Since86
03-26-2009, 01:50 PM
I understand it bothers you, but since I am unaffiliated, the rivalry doesn't really get to me.

As for the avatar, I never really thought anyone would catch on, but I plan on changing it whenever Purdue's run is over. Hopefully it won't be soon.

Nah, doesn't bother me at all. I really don't have emotional ties to either one. I'm smack dab middle from both of them, about 2 1/2 hrs each way.

I just really like watching good basketball, and I get that from both (forgetting the Mike Davis era).

My first love is Ball State though. I grew up 15mins from Muncie, and that's if you drove really slow. Bonzi Wells was in his stride here when I was about 10, and before that they had some really good MAC teams. We had season tix for football, but basketball were so easy to come by and obviously more home games than football, so we never sprung for them but we made 10+ a year.

I wasn't judging at all. Just curious as how someone so deep in Crimson territory could survive this long rooting for PU, or atleast even wanting to see them advance.

duke dynamite
03-26-2009, 01:56 PM
Nah, doesn't bother me at all. I really don't have emotional ties to either one. I'm smack dab middle from both of them, about 2 1/2 hrs each way.

I just really like watching good basketball, and I get that from both (forgetting the Mike Davis era).

My first love is Ball State though. I grew up 15mins from Muncie, and that's if you drove really slow. Bonzi Wells was in his stride here when I was about 10, and before that they had some really good MAC teams. We had season tix for football, but basketball were so easy to come by and obviously more home games than football, so we never sprung for them but we made 10+ a year.

I wasn't judging at all. Just curious as how someone so deep in Crimson territory could survive this long rooting for PU, or atleast even wanting to see them advance.
My supervisor wants to kill me right now. lol

Dab
03-26-2009, 02:06 PM
Just curious as how someone so deep in Crimson territory could survive this long rooting for PU, or atleast even wanting to see them advance.

Judging by the license plates, there's quite a few Purdue grads who live in Bloomington. I would count myself among them, but I am only a Purdue dropout.

Kraft
03-26-2009, 02:21 PM
I grew up an IU fan -- Indianapolis, family affliation, etc.

Makes me feel dirty even thinking about it.

duke dynamite
03-26-2009, 02:36 PM
Judging by the license plates, there's quite a few Purdue grads who live in Bloomington. I would count myself among them, but I am only a Purdue dropout.
Man, they are all over the place down here.

DisplacedKnick
03-26-2009, 06:43 PM
I absolutely despise what we're doing in this game.

We're playing scared - and I'm not sure we aren't being coached scared. Johnson's gotten the ball inside exactly once in 13 minutes. Is Thabeet there and is he a great shotblocker? Sure.

So what - our game has been balanced with JJ inside and shooters on the perimeter all season. This game it looks like we're deliberately sacrificing the inside. If Jajuan Blair or Monroe could dominate Thabeet then there's no reason for us to be so scared of him. At least wait until he swats five shots before we go away from it. You have to at least try to play your game and play it well rather than play a game you aren't that good at.

We've waved the white flag and we did it on the 1st possession when we jacked up a quick three.

Dab
03-26-2009, 07:13 PM
Hanging in there, only down 5. We definitely had chances to get it closer.

Be nice if we got hot in the 2nd half. Maybe we had the bad rims in the 1st half?

duke dynamite
03-26-2009, 07:33 PM
Very sad...

DisplacedKnick
03-26-2009, 08:35 PM
OK, I'm not so mad now. I don't like how we executed but I like how we played.

What I mean is this - we gave away the interior of the court. They didn't take it from us - we gave it to them by never trying to establish an inside game. Maybe - probably likely - if we had tried, nothing would have changed. But maybe JJ shows Thabeet the ball, goes around him and gets him in foul trouble. At least make them take away a part of the court you use - don't just give it up. Instead on our 1st 2 possessions of the game we took 3's with plenty of time left on the shot clock. I can't believe that was the game plan but Hummel was the shooter and he's a very smart player - did Painter decide the only way we could win this game was by rolling the dice and hoping we were scorching from 3? Not by playing our usual inside-out, ball movement game? I can't believe we made that kind of concession from the minute the ball was tossed.

The only time when I really felt we were playing our game on offense was the 1st five minutes of the 2nd half. For a while there I thought we were moving the ball, setting and using screens, etc. Then Green took a quick shot and we were back to what we spent the rest of the half doing - either taking a contested three or driving and just heaving the ball at the basket and praying.

Our execution stunk.

But we played hard and we played tough. We didn't quit and there were plenty of times we could have hung our heads, at least for a little while, and didn't. Any one of those times when we were down three with the ball and couldn't get a hoop - either missed a layup or turned it over. Our defense played the game it was supposed to except for a few times when we gambled and let them run. So while I hated our execution, I liked how we played.

I think UConn is very vulnerable. We didn't play well at all with at least a chunk of that being on us, and were still in the game late. I wish we had gone with our normal game plan - at least then I'd feel we took our best shot.

I'm not terribly depressed by this. I'd prefer the W of course but it's OK. And the JJ to the pros talk can be put to bed. We'll be better next year and I sure hope if we're in this spot again we go down guns blazing by playing our game.

duke dynamite
03-26-2009, 08:47 PM
It was fun while it lasted.

heywoode
03-26-2009, 10:24 PM
Yeah, I sure like the team that Purdue is growing into. I wish they woulda played more of their game, but UConn is pretty tough. I agree they are vulnerable, especially if a 5 seed playing poorly and out of their best game can give them that much, they can be beaten by anyone left in the brackets.

I've been a lifelong IU fan, but mores so in my youth. The family, and especially my dad, grandpa, and all uncles were diehards, and we always used to do a bracket at my dad and grandpa's service station for the menfolk in our little town. Mind you, we did this before fantasy leagues, bracketology, and all of the other crap that has made March almost unbearable lately. I never won, but I always enjoyed the time spent down at the station, listening to the men argue and eat peanuts from the shell while my dad worked on cars. Eventually I brought my nerfhoop down, and we had our own tourney, and I won most of those games because I was THE MAN at Nerf basketball as a kid.

I like Purdue now because of Chris Kramer. He's from where I live, and I know his father. Also, I like Matt Painter. He played the right way, he coaches the right way, and he makes his kids accountable for their actions, on and off the court. What's not to like?

I wonder where IU would be if they had never made Bob Knight go away?

Bball
03-26-2009, 10:56 PM
Yeah, I sure like the team that Purdue is growing into. I wish they woulda played more of their game, but UConn is pretty tough. I agree they are vulnerable, especially if a 5 seed playing poorly and out of their best game can give them that much, they can be beaten by anyone left in the brackets.

I've been a lifelong IU fan, but mores so in my youth. The family, and especially my dad, grandpa, and all uncles were diehards, and we always used to do a bracket at my dad and grandpa's service station for the menfolk in our little town. Mind you, we did this before fantasy leagues, bracketology, and all of the other crap that has made March almost unbearable lately. I never won, but I always enjoyed the time spent down at the station, listening to the men argue and eat peanuts from the shell while my dad worked on cars. Eventually I brought my nerfhoop down, and we had our own tourney, and I won most of those games because I was THE MAN at Nerf basketball as a kid.

I like Purdue now because of Chris Kramer. He's from where I live, and I know his father. Also, I like Matt Painter. He played the right way, he coaches the right way, and he makes his kids accountable for their actions, on and off the court. What's not to like?

I totally spaced that the game was tonight. I don't know what I was thinking but for some reason I thought it was Saturday.

I wonder where IU would be if they had never made Bob Knight go away?

Not in a very good place. I'm one that think Knight's era at IU was over one way or the other. IU wouldn't have had a season like we just had... but we wouldn't be looking at successful tourney runs either. We probably wouldn't have ran afoul of the NCAA rules either though.

heywoode
03-26-2009, 11:05 PM
The majority of my reasoning for wondering where IU would be had Knight not been fired is based on how much IU's reputation has taken a hit since he left. Like him or hate him, he led his program the right way with regard to getting his players to play and go to class.
I think IU would've continued to recruit well, without breaking the rules, and I think they would still be a player in the Big Ten and in the NCAA tourney. I think Myles Brand was bullied into doing what he did, and I think he knew it too. Regardless of his faults, I wish he was still IU's coach. Not without being held accountable for his tirades, but with some form of understanding that he was the kind of coach IU deserved and needed to have to represent the tradition that IU used to have.

Bball
03-27-2009, 12:26 AM
The majority of my reasoning for wondering where IU would be had Knight not been fired is based on how much IU's reputation has taken a hit since he left. Like him or hate him, he led his program the right way with regard to getting his players to play and go to class.
I think IU would've continued to recruit well, without breaking the rules, and I think they would still be a player in the Big Ten and in the NCAA tourney. I think Myles Brand was bullied into doing what he did, and I think he knew it too. Regardless of his faults, I wish he was still IU's coach. Not without being held accountable for his tirades, but with some form of understanding that he was the kind of coach IU deserved and needed to have to represent the tradition that IU used to have.

I hate to derail a Purdue thread talking about IU.... But then I guess the game tonight has already derailed the thread! ;)

My take on the final Knight years was the horse was WAY too far out of the barn. He was bigger than the university yet no longer bringing in the results. Recruiting was down. 1st round tourney exits were the norm. Many questioned whether the modern game had passed him by (or whether he simply stubbornly refused to go along with it).

I found it interesting that two of the biggest names in coaching that both railed against the 3 point shot also saw their career deteriorate after its implementation. Denny Crum and Bob Knight. I know Knight won a championship with the 3 point line but that was in its infancy. Even then you had Rick Pitino making a name for himself at Providence by how he took advantage of the new rules. And Knight had Steve Alford. I don't know that IU did much different in regards to the 3 point line in those early years, except happened to have one of the best shooters in college on the team at the time it was put into full time play.

But I digress...

Had the university established a better code of conduct for Knight and held him to it MUCH earlier, maybe things would've turned out differently. Or maybe he would've left earlier on his own terms for somewhere that he could rule the roost. But he couldn't continue at IU the way things were going IMHO. And IU had lost all control of him. IU was no longer a college basketball elite team, except in Knight's own drawing power on television (which was becoming more and more about what circus incident he would provide the viewers instead of solid gameplans and the nations's best players on the court). And the incidents were increasingly embarrassing to IU, Bloomington, and Indiana.

The final straw might've been a bit weak but he probably shouldn't have made it that far anyway.

I know you're going to say:
And Mike Davis learning the HC position on the job at a high visibility school wasn't embarrassing? ...Or.... Kelvin Sampson didn't embarrass the university?

I agree. But those were questionable followups for IU in the first place. The university SHOULD'VE handled Knight's replacement much better.

Maybe Knight needed a year off somewhere in those final years to recharge his batteries, view the game from a couple of steps back, and review his own approach to the game, players, and people in general. But that didn't happen and probably wouldn't have happened either.

Davis was questionable all along because he was such an unknown variable being thrust into the spotlight. He did serve the role of being the 'coach to replace Knight' which was going to be tough no matter who the coach was. So he created a buffer for Sampson in that regard. Davis also was allowed to keep the job too long (IMHO). I never would've kept him past the interim year and would've been looking for that experienced coach to take the helm.

Sampson, besides the NCAA baggage, was (I thought) a little too old for the job. I wanted IU to get someone that skewed a little younger for longevity reasons. I didn't want to see a successful coach slowing down in too few years. Sampson took care of those worries though... ;)

I think Crean has the right priorities and has the team headed in the right way. He fits the mold of the coach I would've been looking for in the first place. Maybe this all worked out for the better in the long run anyway?

In any case, I'm glad Knight is gone. I was a Knight fan but soured on him in the early to mid 90's. I used to think there was method to the madness. In the end, I think it was mostly just madness.

Dab
03-27-2009, 08:01 AM
Can't make baskets = can't win. They pulled Habeet away from the basket numerous times but didn't convert. Oh well, it was a good (but not great) year, and I salute the team and coaches.

Next year will be interesting. The Big 10 should be loaded. Our frontcourt depth will be suspect again, even with JJ back. I couldn't blame him for leaving if he was assured of being a 1st round pick, but I think with an additional year of seasoning and experience he will position himself for a nice payday in next year's draft. Bade will get a lot of playing time next year, but he's only 6'8" and will need to add muscle as well. Jeff Robinson has the size and athleticism it would seem, but he can't even crack the starting lineup at Lawrence North, and I believe there are some concerns about his eligibility. The X-factor will be if we can get the kid out of LaPorte. At 6'10" 240 he's already the build to mix it up in the Big 10, and from all accounts, he sounds like a younger, better, and slighly bigger version of Calasan.

Big Smooth
03-28-2009, 05:47 AM

If RMK had stayed then we'd probably have Pat Knight coaching Indiana by now. And that would be no good.

It was time for him to go.

DisplacedKnick
03-31-2009, 10:17 PM
And it's official - not that there should have been any doubt.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4031276