PDA

View Full Version : A little perspective for you

Skaut_Ech
11-07-2008, 05:24 PM
By no means do I want this thread to turn political (please don't), but I had to share something that really put things in perspective for me concerning the election.

I was asking my mom today how it felt for her seeing a black man become president.

When I was a teen, we had a discussion about how hopeless she felt as a black person when John Kennedy and Martin Luther King were killed. She felt those were two people who were the best hope we'd ever have for pushing for equality in this country. My grandmother worked the polls around that time.

Mom said my grandmother, who's in her eighties now, is still in shock at the outcome of this election. She was convinced it was not possible.

Mom also shared a story with me I'd never heard before. Now bear in mind, when I was an adolescent, Mom showed me a picture one day. It was sepiatone. It was a picture of a black woman with manacles on her arms. There were huge. They covered from her wrist all the way 3/4 the way up her forearm. They looked heavy as hell.

Mom told me this was my great-great-great Grandmother.

And it was a picture taken when she was a slave.

Mom said that my great-great Grandmother, Jenny, told my Grandmother about being able to vote for the first time. She said she was so nervous that she literally forgot her name. It was that overwhelming for her.

Now, how many generations later, we have a person of color as president?

That is beyond unbelievable.

I'm sure you've seen a bunch of stories in the media about how this election has affected them, but I thought my talk with to Mom today might bring it home a little more for some of you.

I can literaly hold a picture of my great-great-great Grandmother, who was a slave, with no right to vote, next to a picture of the man who will be president of this country.

It's no wonder some people have been so emotional. How many other folks have pictures in their homes of ancestors who were slaves, then see something like this happen?

I just thought that was pretty wild and sobering.

[And please, once again, don't turn this into a political discussion/debate. That is not my intention.]

Erik
11-07-2008, 05:27 PM
Cool story.

Bball
11-07-2008, 06:22 PM
We've come a long way. Great story.

Will Galen
11-08-2008, 07:11 AM
Good story Scott! Thanks for sharing!

Shade
11-08-2008, 04:53 PM
By no means do I want this thread to turn political (please don't), but I had to share something that really put things in perspective for me concerning the election.

I was asking my mom today how it felt for her seeing a black man become president.

When I was a teen, we had a discussion about how hopeless she felt as a black person when John Kennedy and Martin Luther King were killed. She felt those were two people who were the best hope we'd ever have for pushing for equality in this country. My grandmother worked the polls around that time.

Mom said my grandmother, who's in her eighties now, is still in shock at the outcome of this election. She was convinced it was not possible.

Mom also shared a story with me I'd never heard before. Now bear in mind, when I was an adolescent, Mom showed me a picture one day. It was sepiatone. It was a picture of a black woman with manacles on her arms. There were huge. They covered from her wrist all the way 3/4 the way up her forearm. They looked heavy as hell.

Mom told me this was my great-great-great Grandmother.

And it was a picture taken when she was a slave.

Mom said that my great-great Grandmother, Jenny, told my Grandmother about being able to vote for the first time. She said she was so nervous that she literally forgot her name. It was that overwhelming for her.

Now, how many generations later, we have a person of color as president?

That is beyond unbelievable.

I'm sure you've seen a bunch of stories in the media about how this election has affected them, but I thought my talk with to Mom today might bring it home a little more for some of you.

I can literaly hold a picture of my great-great-great Grandmother, who was a slave, with no right to vote, next to a picture of the man who will be president of this country.

It's no wonder some people have been so emotional. How many other folks have pictures in their homes of ancestors who were slaves, then see something like this happen?

I just thought that was pretty wild and sobering.

[And please, once again, don't turn this into a political discussion/debate. That is not my intention.]

That truly is amazing.

Even though I had no doubt Obama would win, it's still hard to believe that he is the President-elect right now.

Great story, Scott. Thanks for sharing.