PDA

View Full Version : JO - Starters

SoupIsGood
06-19-2004, 06:02 PM
I personally think that the proper trades should be made to wher our lineup is like this

Tinsley
McGrady
Artest
Bender
Dalembert

But seeing as how this franchise is so caught up with JO, thatd never happen

Shade
06-19-2004, 06:21 PM
Bender is not a 4, and certainly not a STARTING 4.

Keep JO, trade Ron, and sign Bowen. ;)

SoupIsGood
06-19-2004, 06:42 PM
RC said that bender might play 4. JO is not wort keeping around, he won't ever reach the level he played at this season again, and probalby have knee injuries to play anyway.

Bowen is the next Brian Scalabrine ;)

sweabs
06-19-2004, 06:45 PM
I like Bender's blocking abilities down low in the post...but he is too skinny and fragile to bang down low night in night out with other big, true power forwards.

Bender at the 2 and 3 positions creates real matchup problems which I love to see.

Hoop
06-19-2004, 07:01 PM
I don't get some of you guys fascination with Bowen, he's not in the same league as Ron or Ben as a defender IMO and certainly not in the same universe as a player.

You could put alot of players in Bowens spot at SA and they would do just as good or better. He has no responsibly to their team other than staying with his own man. He's had Duncan and Robinson covering his back for 2 of the last 3 years. Ron and Ben are called on to do MUCH more for there teams.

When he was with Miami, Boston, Philly and again Miami nobody was saying he was "great" defender. He was known as a "good" defender then, because he sucked at everything else. After he went to SA he suddenly became a defensive stud, I think SA's team D had something to do with that. Ron was known as great defender even when he was with one of the worst teams in the league.

Bowens stats 03-04:
Pts - Reb - blks - stls - ast
6.9 - 3.1 - .40 - 1.02 - 1.4 :puke:

SoupIsGood
06-19-2004, 07:06 PM
well, according to what you said, Bowen works well with a team D thats good, so he would be a good fit here, right?

However, I agree with you, unless he ever dyes his hair red, he will never achieve the elvel of play Ron and Frank have.

MSA2CF
06-19-2004, 07:08 PM
JO is not wort keeping around, he won't ever reach the level he played at this season again, and probalby have knee injuries to play anyway.

:rotflmao:

Jermaine is 26! He hasn't even peaked yet.

Where'd you get the idea he'll have knee injuries?

BTW, welcome to the boards & what NBA team do you support?

SoupIsGood
06-19-2004, 07:15 PM
He had two this season didnt he? Or maybe not. I kno he had 1 (Knee inj)

I support the pacers, just not JO, well maybe just a slight tidge.

I keep telling myself that I havent peaked yet either.

MSA2CF
06-19-2004, 07:16 PM
He had two this season didnt he? Or maybe not. I kno he had 1 (Knee inj)

Yeah, but all players have to play through pain, which Jermaine does pretty well. But I don't think it diminished his level of play, except in the playoffs. (That injury was knee related, right?)

zxc
06-19-2004, 07:33 PM
... :rolleyes:

SpADeD
06-19-2004, 09:35 PM
... :rolleyes:

I think he's the devil too.

:darkness:

ROCislandWarrior
06-19-2004, 09:38 PM
:unimpressed:

Yes! Let Us Trade JO!

He has done nothing but improve every year and lead us to the ECF.
Then a freak Ben Wallace undercut almost ripped JO's knee in two but he kept playing.

YES! LET US TRADE HIM!

:unimpressed:

Suaveness
06-19-2004, 10:34 PM
You obviously don't watch enough. Every year Jermaine has improved quite a bit. This year, his outside shot has improved tremendously, and even his passing was much better. And he will improve again.

I think JO needs to continue to work on his outside shot, and then he also needs to find a variety of moves he can use in the post and have more options. I think Bill walton can do better to help him.

wintermute
06-21-2004, 04:42 AM
1. don't trade jo

2. if there's a weakness to jo's game, i would say it's passing. i don't care about the outside shooting very much, he shouldn't be taking those anyway :D

Peck
06-21-2004, 05:35 AM
I don't get some of you guys fascination with Bowen, he's not in the same league as Ron or Ben as a defender IMO and certainly not in the same universe as a player.

You could put alot of players in Bowens spot at SA and they would do just as good or better. He has no responsibly to their team other than staying with his own man. He's had Duncan and Robinson covering his back for 2 of the last 3 years. Ron and Ben are called on to do MUCH more for there teams.

When he was with Miami, Boston, Philly and again Miami nobody was saying he was "great" defender. He was known as a "good" defender then, because he sucked at everything else. After he went to SA he suddenly became a defensive stud, I think SA's team D had something to do with that. Ron was known as great defender even when he was with one of the worst teams in the league.

Bowens stats 03-04:

This post is absolutely brilliant & I have nothing to add to it other than saying it needs to be looked at again by everybody.

Unclebuck
06-21-2004, 09:02 AM

Bowens stats 03-04:

This post is absolutely brilliant & I have nothing to add to it other than saying it needs to be looked at again by everybody.

Let me first say that Hoop is one of my favorites, post more often.

Howver I disagree. Bruce Bowen is an excellent defender, he deserves to be on the first team all defense, no one can stick to an offensive player like he can. Yes he is better than Artest at sticking to his man, Artest is a better defender overall, but Bruce is great following players around screens.

On the offensive end there is no comparision.

But if Artest is traded, I'll say it again, if the Pacers sign Bruce, IMO it will partially offset the effect of losing Artest.

Peck
06-21-2004, 09:08 AM
But what Hoops is trying to say is that you cannot have have great defense at the cost of any offense.

Same as you can't have great offense without solid defense.

There are two sides of the court & Bruce has been covered by the system he is in in San Antonio.

I would never put him on the floor with J.O., Reggie, Jamaal & Jeff.

All of your offense would have to come from O'Neal & that is just to much to put on any one player.

Give me a solid defender who can score as well.

Remember this is the one reason I hated McKey.

This is the one reason why it is all the more frustrating that Artest has to be such a head case. There should not even be a discussion about trading Ron, but because of his own stupidity we are forced to face the possiblity.

Damn, we either have Derrik who was a good (overrated IMO) defender but refused to help on offense or we have Jalen who could score but only played defense when it suited his own personal agenda or we have Artest who can do it all but can't seem to understand that sanity is important to a team.

sigh....

Suaveness
06-21-2004, 09:29 AM
I don't think McKey was overrated. The times I saw him play, he played very very well defensively.

And your last sentence shows why Artest is such a valuable commodity. Great defender, and can score, as we all know. His abilities are so important, and it is worth it to keep him. Really.

And sorry if none of this makes sense, I cannot think coherently today...too much tennis yesterday.

Peck
06-21-2004, 09:38 AM
I don't think McKey was overrated. The times I saw him play, he played very very well defensively.

And your last sentence shows why Artest is such a valuable commodity. Great defender, and can score, as we all know. His abilities are so important, and it is worth it to keep him. Really.

And sorry if none of this makes sense, I cannot think coherently today...too much tennis yesterday.

A couple of things.

1. McKey was a good defender. But people were trying to make him Ron Artest good as a defender & he was not. He had quick hands & had an uncanny ability to slap the ball, but he was not a stop at all cost defender like Ron is.

2. Everything you say about Ron is true. But that's not the point. If ability were the only thing in play here there would be no question that Ron would NOT be traded. However, it's not Ron's game that anybody questions (to a point).

Suaveness
06-21-2004, 09:43 AM

A couple of things.

1. McKey was a good defender. But people were trying to make him Ron Artest good as a defender & he was not. He had quick hands & had an uncanny ability to slap the ball, but he was not a stop at all cost defender like Ron is.

2. Everything you say about Ron is true. But that's not the point. If ability were the only thing in play here there would be no question that Ron would NOT be traded. However, it's not Ron's game that anybody questions (to a point).

1. I'm not disagreeing with you here. Honestly, no one I have seen is in the same league as Ron as for as on the ball defending.

2. I am not going to really talk about this, because I seem to be pounced upon whenever I say there is nothing wrong. But in my opinion, the things that he does off the court are just very minor. You cannot deny that he has cleaned up his act this year, and is much better. How can you not say that he won't improve more? That is why think he shouldn't be traded. Anyway...