PDA

View Full Version : Piston fans thank Pacers in The Star's letters to editor

Roaming Gnome
06-19-2004, 01:13 PM
Kinda shocked that The Star ran these in "Letters to the Editor" section. Usually these are left for politics and community drivel. Usually this stuff is in the Sports Letters section with the usuals that don't know their head from their *** when it comes to most that post in this forum.

The Real NBA Finals: Pistons V. Pacers (http://www.indystar.com/articles/3/156007-1953-022.html)

June 19, 2004

The Detroit Pistons owe part of their 2004 NBA championship to the Indiana Pacers.

I'm amazed that nobody has made the point that the Eastern Conference Finals between the Pacers and Pistons was one of the hardest-played series ever seen in the NBA, and arguably the most defense-filled series ever. The Pistons entered the NBA Finals at full speed, thanks to the series with the Pacers, while the Lakers were flat.

I'm a lifelong Pistons fan. Thank you, Pacers, for elevating the level of play in the Eastern Conference Finals to new heights defensively and, in doing so, helping Detroit win its championship.

Joe Levy

Jackson, Mich.

Pistons fan tips hat to rival Pacers (http://www.indystar.com/articles/0/156006-6630-022.html)

June 19, 2004

I don't know if you guys really want to hear from somebody in Detroit right now, but I want to take the time to thank the Pacers organization for the baptism under fire it supplied our Pistons.

I have the feeling we are going to be rivals for the title over the next several years. That Jermaine O'Neal kid is a star; one day I think he will be able to place "super" in front of star. Great players make great plays.

Jere Shafer

Pontiac, Mich.

Unclebuck
06-19-2004, 01:21 PM
I'm amazed that nobody has made the point that the Eastern Conference Finals between the Pacers and Pistons was one of the hardest-played series ever seen in the NBA, and arguably the most defense-filled series ever.

Several of us made that point, whoever this guy is he needs to brancg out a little

SpADeD
06-19-2004, 02:45 PM
I'm amazed that nobody has made the point that the Eastern Conference Finals between the Pacers and Pistons was one of the hardest-played series ever seen in the NBA, and arguably the most defense-filled series ever.

Several of us made that point, whoever this guy is he needs to brancg out a little

Maybe some people over in the Pistons boards didn't make that point. :confused:

SoupIsGood
06-19-2004, 06:31 PM
It was quite possibly the most boring eastern conference final too tho. Bender and Jones should have played more.

Ultimate Frisbee
06-19-2004, 06:37 PM
It was quite possibly the most boring eastern conference final too tho. Bender and Jones should have played more.

I thought it was one of the better and more entertaining basketball series... In games like soccer, teams often score only once (or not at all) per game... and its the most popular sport in the world...

indygeezer
06-20-2004, 08:14 AM
To a basketball junkie the ECF was nirvana, unless you only know basketball as played at Rucker Park.

Stryder
06-21-2004, 12:39 AM
To a basketball junkie the ECF was nirvana, unless you only know basketball as played at Rucker Park.

100% True.

King Mob
06-21-2004, 12:41 AM
ECF was awesome! Reggie's crushing 3, Tayshaun's block, JO leaving it all on the floor...it was far more gripping than the Finals, which I spent pinching myself.

sweabs
06-21-2004, 12:43 AM
ECF was awesome! Reggie's crushing 3, Tayshaun's block, JO leaving it all on the floor...it was far more gripping than the Finals, which I spent pinching myself.

I spent the Finals punching myself asking "What if..." :mad:

A-Train
06-21-2004, 12:47 AM
I think one thing that was constantly overlooked when talking about the Pistons was the defense that the PACERS played this year. When all the talk about the Pistons' defense was being bantied about, I often wondered why the Pacers' defense wasn't mentioned at least in the same breath as the Pistons'.

Yes, the Pistons are a great defensive team. But, if you look at the numbers from the season, the Pacers are right behind them defensively and proved that during the ECFs.

If defense wins championships, the Pacers are VERY CLOSE. Let's not forget that.

Achilles98
06-21-2004, 12:58 AM
I thought the pistons D was much better. Big Ben is a ridiculously good weak side blocker. He was altering shots left and right (assuming he didn't block them). JO and Bender are good weak side help but they are nothing compared to Ben.

Artest is great, but Rip and prince played well on the perimeter as well. Both have great team D's but Detroit was in a league of its own if you ask me.

King Mob
06-21-2004, 01:22 AM
Detroit's been a great defensive team for the last 3 years, but we didn't get any pub for it till this season. I think people took notice this season because we broke like 5 or 6 all time NBA defensive records. Meanwhile, this is Indy's first season as a top tier defensive team (same as Houston) The recognition will come in time.

A-Train
06-21-2004, 01:30 AM
Both have great team D's but Detroit was in a league of its own if you ask me.

I agree that Detroit was better than the Pacers defensively, but if you look at the scores from all the games in the ECF, I still say we're a very close, not a distant, 2nd.

That's okay, we have all of next year to match up again.

Unclebuck
06-21-2004, 09:07 AM
A-Train, I started a thread a week ago or so and put forth the theory that this current Pistons team was the best defensive team I have ever seen. Pacers are very good defensively, but not in that class.

SIG, I can only assume you are being sarcastic

Fool
06-21-2004, 03:35 PM
I think one thing that was constantly overlooked when talking about the Pistons was the defense that the PACERS played this year. When all the talk about the Pistons' defense was being bantied about, I often wondered why the Pacers' defense wasn't mentioned at least in the same breath as the Pistons'.

Yes, the Pistons are a great defensive team. But, if you look at the numbers from the season, the Pacers are right behind them defensively and proved that during the ECFs.

If defense wins championships, the Pacers are VERY CLOSE. Let's not forget that.

Going into the Playoffs the Pacers got more respoect for their offense then the Pistons got for their offense. This left the only story, when referring to the Pistons, being their defense. The national media didn't buy Detroit's defense as remarkable until near the end of the playoffs and by then the Pacers were a distant memory. I think thats why the Pacer D never really got its mention. By the time the media bought Detroit's D the defensive show the Pacer's put on was yesterday's story. I don't think the Pacer D is just a hair shy of Detroit's (the Pacers still score more and so their defense doesn't need to be pinnacle) but the Pacers do have excellent D and I think it was just timing that kept it from being more of a story.

ChicagoJ
06-21-2004, 05:56 PM
e-mail from a colleague who's from Detroit:

Good to hear from ya! Thanks for the congrats. To be honest, the championship was won when the Pistons beat the Pacers. Its good to finally see that the two best teams rigth now come from the Eastern conference. If the Pacers do get McGrady next year, oh man, I will be very worried.