PDA

View Full Version : The cuts?

OTD
10-24-2008, 09:29 AM
Why was AC cut and keep someone lke Baston kept. Austin is a better player, and he also wants to stay in Indy. Since I am not a Philadelphia lawyer. Does a stupid guaranteed contract have something to do with this? If you cut a guaranteed contract do you still have to pay them? And is it still charged to the cap?

Putnam
10-24-2008, 09:50 AM
Why was AC cut and keep someone lke Baston kept?

Austin is a better player,

Would management agree?

Croshere got his chance, and he didn't persuade them. Baston's got more in the tank and he complements Foster and Murphy more that Croshere does. But neither of them figures to get much playing time, anyway.

If you cut a guaranteed contract do you still have to pay them?

Thus, the word "guaranteed."

This was the right decision.

RamBo_Lamar
10-24-2008, 09:59 AM
There is also the McRoberts factor to be considered. Certainly both his and
Baston's guaranteed contracts were factors.

That plus Austin had a couple poor outings further showing he is nearing the
end of his playing career.

As much as I like AC, I think it was clearly the right move. Would much
rather see the minutes given to developing McRoberts who could end up
having a long and productive career with the Pacers.

Roaming Gnome
10-24-2008, 09:59 AM
Why was AC cut and keep someone lke Baston kept. Austin is a better player, and he also wants to stay in Indy. Since I am not a Philadelphia lawyer. Does a stupid guaranteed contract have something to do with this? If you cut a guaranteed contract do you still have to pay them? And is it still charged to the cap?

Come on.... Really?

He is NOT a better player. Just because you get the biggest ovation from the fans, doesn't mean mngt is going to keep you around.

The Bottom Line:
Austin didn't make the team.

Anthem
10-24-2008, 10:04 AM
Why was AC cut
Same reason Damon Bailey was cut.

Roaming Gnome
10-24-2008, 10:09 AM
Same reason Damon Bailey was cut.

Doesn't get any more to the point then that...

Raskolnikov
10-24-2008, 10:11 AM
As much as a like Cro, same reason James White was cut (I have no idea who Damon Bailey is). I echo the sentiment that I hope for him to be involved again with the Pacers sometime soon.

I think Baston is a pretty good backup btw. He never disappointed when given the minutes.

Ramitt
10-24-2008, 10:16 AM
(I have no idea who Damon Bailey is).
My head almost exploded, then I noticed your location. He was and Indiana/IU boy. Very good in colloge, not so much as a pro.

Roaming Gnome
10-24-2008, 10:18 AM
As much as a like Cro, same reason James White was cut (I have no idea who Damon Bailey is). I echo the sentiment that I hope for him to be involved again with the Pacers sometime soon.

I think Baston is a pretty good backup btw. He never disappointed when given the minutes.

Nah, James White was cut due to attitude and a sense of entitlement. By the way, he wasn't good enough to put up with the last sentence.

Damon Bailey was a player that grew up in central Indiana, was an Indiana Mr. Basketball, then went to I. U. and was a large part of the schools last NCAA championship.

He was drafted by the Pacers as a late 2nd round pick. I'd guess out of a show of respect. He didn't make the team.

Smoothdave1
10-24-2008, 10:22 AM
Bottom line: McRoberts and Baston have guaranteed contracts and Croshere didn't. Croshere knew coming in that he would have to do nothing less than wow Bird, JOB & Morway to keep him and cut someone else.

I still won't rule out Croshere coming back in some capacity, or even perhaps as a player once the Tinsley fiasco is over. For now, though, Croshere will hang out at his home on Geist and ponder what to do next.

RamBo_Lamar
10-24-2008, 10:28 AM

Not sure that is accurate comparing it to James White. White, while having
great athleticism, didn't "get it" as far as fitting into the team system of
playing.

Cro on the other hand has very good knowledge and deep understanding
of team basketball. You could tell that by having listened to some of his
interviews.

He just no longer has the athleticism or consistency to keep up with the
young pups any more.

Now whether it be the pros, or college, if a team were to offer him a
Assistant Coaching position, he would probably be a great addition to
their staff.

Raskolnikov
10-24-2008, 10:29 AM
My head almost exploded.
You avatar head does seem a bit swollen indeed ;)...thanks for the clarification.

Comparing him to James White, I wanted to say that, in spite of attitude differences, he also just wasn't good enough to make the team.

Speed
10-24-2008, 10:31 AM
Guaranteed contracts and Austin didn't show that he could provide enough of difference to warrant a spot after everything was considered.

If it's any comfort, I think if Roberts, Maceo, and AC all made 1 million a year with 1 year left on their guaranteed contract.... Austin would have made it ahead of Maceo. But that's not the case.

Smoothdave1
10-24-2008, 10:32 AM
Not sure that is accurate comparing it to James White. White, while having
great athleticism, didn't "get it" as far as fitting into the team system of
playing.

I thought that this was the main reason he was cut. Sure, White could dunk with the best of them, but his game didn't carry over to the NBA level.

Justin Tyme
10-24-2008, 10:41 AM
Guaranteed contracts and Austin didn't show that he could provide enough of difference to warrant a spot after everything was considered.

If it's any comfort, I think if Roberts, Maceo, and AC all made 1 million a year with 1 year left on their guaranteed contract.... Austin would have made it ahead of Maceo.

Ditto.

As I have said numerous times in the past, Baston will be playing in Europe next season. He was nothing more than filler to make the trade work. Unfortunately, he has a guaranteed contract. Thus he's a Pacer and Cro isn't.

Pacers
10-24-2008, 10:50 AM
But neither of them figures to get much playing time, anyway.

Which is exactlywhy Austin should have made it. But I've been there before.

avoidingtheclowns
10-24-2008, 12:58 PM
Damon Bailey was a player that grew up in central Indiana, was an Indiana Mr. Basketball, then went to I. U. and was a large part of the schools last NCAA championship.

IU's last championship was 1987, damon graduated HS in 1990. he was a part of the 1992 final four team but that wasn't IU's most recent time in the final four/championship game

Roaming Gnome
10-24-2008, 01:03 PM
IU's last championship was 1988, damon graduated HS in 1990. he was a part of the 1992 final four team but that wasn't IU's most recent time in the final four/championship game

Damn, I had Steve Alford on the brain. My bad!

Damon's path was eeirly similar though.

count55
10-24-2008, 01:08 PM
IU's last championship was 1988, damon graduated HS in 1990. he was a part of the 1992 final four team but that wasn't IU's most recent time in the final four/championship game

avoidingtheclowns
10-24-2008, 02:43 PM

whoops... looks like i got anthem'd

Bball
10-25-2008, 12:52 PM
Nah, James White was cut due to attitude and a sense of entitlement. By the way, he wasn't good enough to put up with the last sentence.

He was drafted by the Pacers as a late 2nd round pick. I'd guess out of a show of respect. He didn't make the team.

I thought Damon made the team and had surgery on his knee/s and sat out his first season with the Pacers on IR. Then the next year, when healthy, he lost a battle with Fred Hoiberg for the final spot heading into the season.

Damon never played on a NCAA championship team. He can probably 'thank' Ted Valentine for that (several IU fans just had flashbacks and their day has been ruined with that memory). Damon did play in the Final 4.

That wasn't IU's last flirtation with a championship run as they made it to the final game under Mike Davis.

idioteque
10-25-2008, 01:12 PM
Austin is a better player

Maybe 5 years ago, but now Baston is heads and above better than AC.

count55
10-25-2008, 01:26 PM
I thought Damon made the team and had surgery on his knee/s and sat out his first season with the Pacers on IR. Then the next year, when healthy, he lost a battle with Fred Hoiberg for the final spot heading into the season.

Damon never played on a NCAA championship team. He can probably 'thank' Ted Valentine for that (several IU fans just had flashbacks and their day has been ruined with that memory). Damon did play in the Final 4.

That wasn't IU's last flirtation with a championship run as they made it to the final game under Mike Davis.

Yes, Bailey was on the roster for a full season, but never played.

Mourning
10-25-2008, 02:54 PM
whoops... looks like i got anthem'd

That's always painfull! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Just Kidding Anthem, we love ya :haha:.

;)

Shade
10-25-2008, 05:50 PM
IU's last championship was 1987, damon graduated HS in 1990. he was a part of the 1992 final four team but that wasn't IU's most recent time in the final four/championship game

Beat me to it.

Shade
10-25-2008, 05:51 PM

I hate you. :mad:

If ever there was a game rigged in the history of sports, that game was it.

clownskull
10-25-2008, 06:08 PM
I hate you. :mad:

If ever there was a game rigged in the history of sports, that game was it.

yeh, that was a massive screw job. whats more- is that even after valentine admitted that he had a grudge against knight and was out to show him up, he was only suspended from reffing big10 games for the rest of the season. he should have been banned for life. the guy admitted he was not being impartial. who's to say he wouldn't do it again and against someone else he felt he needed to show who's boss. he has no credibility at all.

Roaming Gnome
10-26-2008, 12:11 AM

As I mentioned before, I got the Bedford kid mixed up with the New Castle kid from a few years before him. Please don't murder me in my sleep...

Raskolnikov
10-27-2008, 07:16 PM
http://my.nba.com/thread.jspa?threadID=5700024229

CROSHERE CLAIMED BY BUCKS

Austin Croshere will have a job this season. The veteran forward, released by the Pacers on Friday, was claimed on waivers by the Bucks today and will open the season on their 15-man roster. To make room for Croshere, the Bucks waived Adrian Griffin.

McKeyFan
10-27-2008, 07:39 PM
http://my.nba.com/thread.jspa?threadID=5700024229

CROSHERE CLAIMED BY BUCKS

Austin Croshere will have a job this season. The veteran forward, released by the Pacers on Friday, was claimed on waivers by the Bucks today and will open the season on their 15-man roster. To make room for Croshere, the Bucks waived Adrian Griffin.

Interesting.