View Full Version : Bruno's Caught in the Web: Austin and Josh Davis Cut

kester99
10-23-2008, 05:11 PM
Just up on the Pacers website.....

http://my.nba.com/thread.jspa?threadID=5800012371

by Conrad Brunner

Croshere's Pacers comeback ends
Oct 23, 2008

Austin Croshere's comeback with the Pacers came to an end Thursday when the veteran forward was waived along with Josh Davis. The two cuts trim the roster to the NBA limit of 15 players.

"This was an extremely difficult decision to waive Austin," said General Manager David Morway. "Austin’s a terrific professional and has represented this franchise extremely well and we appreciate his passion, dedication and commitment to the Pacers over the years."

Croshere averaged 5.0 points and 5.0 rebounds in six preseason games, including three starts but was facing a formidable challenge to make the roster because the Pacers have 15 players with guaranteed contracts. Croshere did not.

While the Pacers play their final preseason game tonight in Dallas, Croshere likely will return to his Indianapolis home to ponder his future.

"There's a lot of things that are not in my control," he told The Indianapolis Star Wednesday. "I'm worrying about things I do have control over. I think I've shown in my three weeks here that I'm good enough to play in the NBA and help teams."

Croshere played for the Pacers from 1997-2006, averaging 7.5 points and 4.3 rebounds in those nine seasons. He was traded to Dallas in 2006 for Marquis Daniels and played for Golden State in 2007-08.

Davis is a three-year veteran of the NBA, having played for Atlanta, Philadelphia, Milwaukee, Houston and Phoenix. He has career averages of 2.5 points and 1.7 rebounds.

"Both Austin and Josh had very good camps," said Morway, "and we think both players will find a place in the NBA this season."

Raoul Duke
10-23-2008, 05:12 PM
http://my.nba.com/thread.jspa?threadID=5800012371

****! Bring him on as an assistant!

aero
10-23-2008, 05:17 PM
I knew this when we first signed him. It was bound to happen. I agree bring him on as an assistant or some type of consultant or coach that helps the players during practice or something like that. He's a class act thats for sure.

JonnyB83
10-23-2008, 05:24 PM
this makes me sad because when we had austin the first time when he made a basket i would say "man it sure is getting cold in here someone must have turned the A/C on" and i enjoyed saying that. then we brought him back i was pumped about getting to say it again, but it was short lived.

Raoul Duke
10-23-2008, 05:27 PM
this makes me sad because when we had austin the first time when he made a basket i would say "man it sure is getting cold in here someone must have turned the A/C on" and i enjoyed saying that. then we brought him back i was pumped about getting to say it again, but it was short lived.

HAHAHA, you are my favorite poster

Peck
10-23-2008, 05:27 PM
I'll be honest here, I am a little suprised. I actually assumed Austin already had a place at the table. Not that it really matters though in the long run, Austins time is in the past.

He was a good Pacers, he played hard and no matter about his contract I always felt that Austin gave us what he could.

Raoul Duke
10-23-2008, 05:29 PM
I bet as soon as we trade Tinsley we pick him up if we have an extra spot.

Anthem
10-23-2008, 05:29 PM
He was a good Pacer, he played hard and no matter about his contract I always felt that Austin gave us what he could.
Agreed. I think this is the right decision, even though it surprises me.

Shade
10-23-2008, 05:31 PM
I'll be honest here, I am a little suprised. I actually assumed Austin already had a place at the table. Not that it really matters though in the long run, Austins time is in the past.

He was a good Pacers, he played hard and no matter about his contract I always felt that Austin gave us what he could.

Same here.

I feel bad for Cro. It's always good to have someone who actually wants to be here. Alas, he was overall outplayed by McBob, and that should tell you all you need to know.

Good luck wherever you end up, Austin.

duke dynamite
10-23-2008, 05:54 PM
They should have cut Baston. Heck, he only played in one preseason game. I don't understand...

Oneal07
10-23-2008, 05:56 PM
Why cut Baston. . .We don't really need Cro because we got Murphy

Doddage
10-23-2008, 06:00 PM
It's just too bad he couldn't play like he supposedly did in practice in the preseason games. I wanted him to make it, but I predicted he wouldn't when he was picked up.

Pacers
10-23-2008, 06:38 PM
*sigh*

This is disappointing, because signing Austin would have done more for the franchise than Baston will. Maybe Baston is better and fills a need more on paper, but he's going to be sitting in a suit more often than not, not giving us anything. At least Croshere could have given us the intangibles, and the sentiment that disenfranchised fans want/need.

Justin Tyme
10-23-2008, 07:24 PM
They should have cut Baston. Heck, he only played in one preseason game. I don't understand...

There is 2,000,000 reasons why they didn't cut Baston.

indygeezer
10-23-2008, 07:27 PM
How soon until he joins the front office?

Any takers?

duke dynamite
10-23-2008, 07:28 PM
There is 2,000,000 reasons why they didn't cut Baston.
And only 2 or 3 of them are rational.

I'm really not upset, or mad either way.

McKeyFan
10-23-2008, 07:28 PM

Maybe they were only playing the guys they still weren't sure about.

Mourning
10-23-2008, 07:34 PM
Is there an extra spot left for a player now? I mean I thought we were only one player over the limit, not two?

IF so, could this be the prepatory work for a tinsley for two players thing?

Never mind, probably not.

Pacers
10-23-2008, 08:07 PM
Austin didn't count in the lists that put us at 16. That was only guaranteed contracts. Since Austin didn't have one, he wasn't on the list. So really we had 17 players in camp, hence needing to cut two.

Unclebuck
10-23-2008, 08:18 PM
pacers made the right decision

owl
10-23-2008, 08:35 PM
Denver made player cuts today to get their roster down to 14, room for one
more player. :-)

Pacers
10-23-2008, 08:36 PM

Only if you think that Baston is going to help somehow, which he isn't.

count55
10-23-2008, 09:24 PM

The Pacers made a decision. There was no right or wrong one.

owl
10-23-2008, 09:37 PM
Baston being a better defender and having that contract did not help Austins case.

Roaming Gnome
10-23-2008, 09:40 PM
Crosh wasn't needed... So, why pay through the nose to keep him.

Pacers
10-23-2008, 09:42 PM
He would have cost like 800K, IIRC. Hardly through the nose.

Even with Baston's contract, it's still only 2.8'ish combined, which comes off the books at the end of the year, so it's not like that's hurting us past the next 82 games.

Anthem
10-23-2008, 10:49 PM
He would have cost like 800K, IIRC. Hardly through the nose.

Even with Baston's contract, it's still only 2.8'ish combined, which comes off the books at the end of the year, so it's not like that's hurting us past the next 82 games.

Takes a lot of $10 tickets to pay a $3mil salary.

Roaming Gnome
10-23-2008, 11:04 PM
$800K is thruough the nose when he is not needed. During those pre-season games, Austin had his chance and he showed me nothing that was worth keeping him around for.

heywoode
10-23-2008, 11:06 PM
I am in the camp that hopes we move Tinsley and bring Cro back. Even if he's washed up physically, he is the best fit for an end of the bench, glue guy. He would provide leadership and could function as though he were an assistant, yet is still able to suit up and play.

Given his amount of class when here, and the same amount of class when he left, and the same amount of class when he was around on other teams, and the same amount of class when he came back to us for camp....I don't care how overpaid he was for a number of years. I would love to have him back, and I bet Bird, Morway, and the Simons feel the same way.

I predict he will be back in Blue & Gold before the saga is over.

imawhat
10-23-2008, 11:07 PM

About 2,000 tickets a night for the entire season, though technically we'd only be paying extra on Austin's salary (plus luxury tax penalty if we're close).

I can only assume this was a financial decision.

GenlHooker
10-23-2008, 11:49 PM
I have had enough disappointment. Waiving Austin Croshere is the straw that broke the camels back. I will not pay any more attention to this team.

idioteque
10-23-2008, 11:52 PM
I have had enough disappointment. Waiving Austin Croshere is the straw that broke the camels back. I will not pay any more attention to this team.

If you're serious I really don't know what to say.

This was definitely the right thing to do, and not just financially. I really think Baston will thrive in O'Brien's offense even with limited time and McRoberts has the potential to be a Renaldo Balkman type guy with possibly a better stroke if he works on his shot.

Pacers
10-24-2008, 12:04 AM
Baston isn't going to do anything that other players won't do.

Austin brings back that fan that has been disenfranchised with this team. Austin's impact on the franchise is much higher than Baston's. Baston's a garbage minute guy who does nothing for you on the bench. Austin's a garbage minute guy who is still doing things to repair the image of this team on the bench.

Like someone said, you're paying that 2 million no matter what. Might as well spend 800K and get something for it.

Hicks
10-24-2008, 12:46 AM

:wave:

Roaming Gnome
10-24-2008, 12:54 AM

So much for the name on the front of the jersey....

Austin had a chance, he just wasn't good enough! Why cut someone he couldn't beat out of a spot. He didn't look too good in the pre-season games he was being evaluated in.

idioteque
10-24-2008, 01:03 AM
Baston isn't going to do anything that other players won't do.

Austin brings back that fan that has been disenfranchised with this team. Austin's impact on the franchise is much higher than Baston's. Baston's a garbage minute guy who does nothing for you on the bench. Austin's a garbage minute guy who is still doing things to repair the image of this team on the bench.

Like someone said, you're paying that 2 million no matter what. Might as well spend 800K and get something for it.

As much as I respect your opinion, I can't name many people who will go to a game to see Austin sit in the crowd with a suit on or sit on the end of the bench. Even if he made the team he'd never ever play.

When it comes to having a PR guy, they're relying on the local boy McRoberts since he has local ties and he is a developing player.

Major Cold
10-24-2008, 08:46 AM
Wouldn't the league pay his contract? He would make the vet minimum right?

count55
10-24-2008, 09:07 AM
Wouldn't the league pay his contract? He would make the vet minimum right?

(I assume we're talking AC.) The league would only pay the difference between the min for a 2-year vet ($796) and his min (1,261). The Pacers would pay the $796, and that's what would be on the cap. (Well, the Pacers would pay the $1,261, then get reimbursed by the league, technically, for the difference.)

I have a hard time believing the Pacers seeing any PR value in McRoberts. Yes, he's local, but he didn't play college ball in Indiana, and most people don't care one way or another about him.

In fact, I think that PR as a motivation is becoming highly overrated. I think Austin didn't make the team because his performance didn't warrant paying the extra money. I think McRoberts made the team because he's a cheap, low risk young guy who played well enough to get a look. Think Josh Powell.

The Pacers will continue to preach their change in direction, but they know the only really good PR is exciting basketball and wins.

Putnam
10-24-2008, 10:03 AM
Only if you think that Baston is going to help somehow, which he isn't.

Baston will help the team throughout the year by helping to make practices vigorous and effectual. On the court for the Pacers during games? Not so much.

Anthem
10-24-2008, 10:05 AM
In fact, I think that PR as a motivation is becoming highly overrated.
How refreshing... a basketball team trying to win basketball games.

count55
10-24-2008, 11:23 AM
How refreshing... a basketball team trying to win basketball games.

I should clarify that PR as a motivation is always highly overrated. To be more specific, I think that people on this board are attributing too much to the PR as a motivation for the moves that the Pacers are making. Yes, it has an impact, but I do not think it's a central, or even material driver in their thought process.

Roaming Gnome
10-24-2008, 01:00 PM
I should clarify that PR as a motivation is always highly overrated. To be more specific, I think that people on this board are attributing too much to the PR as a motivation for the moves that the Pacers are making. Yes, it has an impact, but I do not think it's a central, or even material driver in their thought process.

And this does explain why Tinsley has not been bought out. If it was all about PR, mngt. would have already bought out Tins contract. PR moves are not going to bring the fans back. They'll stop the bleeding, will not bring anyone back. Winning with likable guys might.

count55
10-24-2008, 01:07 PM
And this does explain why Tinsley has not been bought out. If it was all about PR, mngt. would have already bought out Tins contract. PR moves are not going to bring the fans back. They'll stop the bleeding, will not bring anyone back. Winning with likable guys might.

Well, I'd actually buy Tinsley out, but only part of that is PR. I think there's a practical case, internal to the locker room, to just be done with it.

I get why they aren't, but I see nothing good in sitting on a guy for months, potentially years in hopes that the pile of **** you get back for him is slightly smaller than the one you'd have to eat today.

grace
10-24-2008, 02:05 PM

Well, Kegboy and I made our contribution so now there's only $2,999,980 to go.

Pacers
10-24-2008, 02:18 PM
As much as I respect your opinion, I can't name many people who will go to a game to see Austin sit in the crowd with a suit on or sit on the end of the bench. Even if he made the team he'd never ever play.

When it comes to having a PR guy, they're relying on the local boy McRoberts since he has local ties and he is a developing player.

True, but there's more to rebuilding this franchise than just putting asses in seats. The Simon's might disagree with me, but from a practical standpoint, baby steps. There are so many people in this city that don't give two craps about the Pacers, let alone even want to dish out any money to see them. You have to give people a reason (however small) to check out the team.

Having Austin on the team would certainly be a good marketing standpoint, right? I just think that Austin's lead in the intangibles department is larger than Baston's lead in the on-floor department.

And Count, I'm not saying we keep Austin over someone who will actually contribute. But really, as far as game contribution, Austin and Baston are about the same, so to me, you look at what else the players can bring, and Austin brings things that Baston can't.

But I am happy to see Baston back. He was one of the few players who seemed to be busting it when he was here last.

Naptown_Seth
10-24-2008, 02:38 PM
I'm with Count, Anthem and Gnome on the whole PR thing. On one hand I like the PR effort away from basketball decisions, that is important. But the team is rock solid in terms of roster PR, even with Tinsley untraded.

Enough nice guys, and I think TPTB are well past that. My only issue here is that I got the feeling the deal they took for Shawne was a PR move, but that combined with Tinsley Bird probably felt like that was the end of the problem children that people could point to (despite Quis involvement in those incidents).

The issue now is making sure people realize all those players are actually gone.

And then the reality is going to hit home for a lot of posters when they see the good guy team not improve attendance one bit till the wins come way up. No legit playoff buzz (ie, can win a playoff series or two) means no new fans.

Of course getting a Pacer on the all-star team could help too, or perhaps a ROY run for Rush or Hibbert (not likely).

AC was a nice guy but the team just spent so much effort tweeking finanicials, to the point of still dealing with Tinsley, that it seems dumb to ignore costs when it came to AC.

Naptown_Seth
10-24-2008, 02:43 PM
Did someone not explain what their expected contribution was going to be at the last party?

Grace, I think you guys are going to want to phone a friend or a thousand and plan on seeing a lot more than 1-2 games. There is no "I" in team, just a sh**load of "$$$$$".

count55
10-24-2008, 02:55 PM
Again, I would've been fine if AC had made the team...I just don't think it was particularly consequential, in any way, shape, or form.

The PR impact of Austin or McBob is negligible at best. At the end of the day, Austin needed to play his way onto the roster, and he couldn't get that done. It's a shame, but not particularly surprising.

Since86
10-24-2008, 03:06 PM

Do I sense the first step back to being season ticket holders? How refreshing.:dance:

grace
10-24-2008, 11:04 PM
Do I sense the first step back to being season ticket holders? How refreshing.:dance:

Four games in 4 years. Four crappy games in four years, but who's counting?

Someone good in probabilities needs to figure out when we'll be getting season tickets. I'm not sure I'll live that long.

Drewtone
10-24-2008, 11:11 PM

Back in the day, I used to see a lot of folks back in MSA who would go to the game to watch Randy Witman not get off the bench.

I think the move says more about how McBob has responded to his shot here, beyonf being the local pull.

BlueNGold
10-25-2008, 12:23 AM
Back in the day, I used to see a lot of folks back in MSA who would go to the game to watch Randy Witman not get off the bench.

I think the move says more about how McBob has responded to his shot here, beyonf being the local pull.

I doubt that Carmel Greyhound fans are going to come in droves to watch McBob sit on the bench. There might be a few, but those few are such a small drop in the bucket it is not a factor. The performance of the team is far more important.

...and McBob is not that well known in Indy. For those who know him, he is better known for being a traitor (not my opinion) for going to Duke rather than IU...and he didn't lead Duke to anything special...and he thus far has been a nothing in the NBA.

But with that said, he brings some athleticism to the team and is a different type of player than Troy and Austin. He also has more potential to develop while Austin is on the decline. I think he brings more toughness and defense to some extent as well. IDK, I think McBob earned his spot...

Jose Slaughter
10-25-2008, 03:40 AM
Four games in 4 years. Four crappy games in four years, but who's counting?

Someone good in probabilities needs to figure out when we'll be getting season tickets. I'm not sure I'll live that long.

08-09 --- 0.00% chance

09-10 --- 50.0% chnace

10-11 --- 100% chance

I'm sure you've got at least 3 years left, maybe as many as 5! ;)

idioteque
10-25-2008, 01:16 PM
...and McBob is not that well known in Indy. For those who know him, he is better known for being a traitor (not my opinion) for going to Duke rather than IU...and he didn't lead Duke to anything special...and he thus far has been a nothing in the NBA.

I guess among the bitter contigent of Hoosier fans (not you) who think that being born in Indiana makes it mandatory that you be drafted into the IU Basketball Army at age 18.

I know that at least within 465 a lot of people know of McRoberts, especially on the North side. In rural Indy he probably doesn't have much of a pull though.

clownskull
10-25-2008, 06:20 PM
although i think it would have been nice to have croshere around, it won't bother me much. we already have enough guys who can do what he does better than him and younger. if we didn't have tinsley on the roster, i'd like t get him back but, it is what it is so, i guess no cro.
good luck cro with everything.

Speed
10-25-2008, 06:26 PM
although i think it would have been nice to have croshere around, it won't bother me much. we already have enough guys who can do what he does better than him and younger. if we didn't have tinsley on the roster, i'd like t get him back but, it is what it is so, i guess no cro.
good luck cro with everything.

Agreed, maybe he can come on board as an assistant coach. It wouldn't be any different than if he made the team. Either way he was probably going to be on the end of the bench in a suit. It'd be nice to keep him home.