PDA

View Full Version : Any details on Dun's injury?

McKeyFan
10-23-2008, 11:13 AM
What exactly is it?

How long to recover?

Didn't they say it was minor?

rexnom
10-23-2008, 11:26 AM
I'm starting to worry about this.

Raskolnikov
10-23-2008, 11:31 AM
Me too, kind of.

And what about Hibby's?

Speed
10-23-2008, 11:34 AM
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20081022/SPORTS04/810220360/1088/SPORTS04

"I basically can't run on it, can't cut on it, slide, plant, pretty much all the verbs used to describe playing basketball. From that point, it's hard to play a basketball game," Dunleavy said.

-------

Troubling, I don't know how you go from that to playing 30 mins a night in a couple of weeks. My guess is you don't.

Raskolnikov
10-23-2008, 11:57 AM
Ok, that is worrying. Please don't play him then until he's absolutely 100% ready. We need him, true, but 5 or 10 games of rest is nothing compared to an injury nagging all season.

Speed
10-23-2008, 12:17 PM
Ok, that is worrying. Please don't play him then until he's absolutely 100% ready. We need him, true, but 5 or 10 games of rest is nothing compared to an injury nagging all season.

I agree and it probably gets B Rush some more time in the interim.

It would be nice to get Dun back about the same time Marquis goes down, which will probably happen even though he's in a contract year, he's still made of glass.

Unclebuck
10-23-2008, 01:56 PM

It would be nice to get Dun back about the same time Marquis goes down, which will probably happen even though he's in a contract year, he's still made of glass.

Agreed, and I really like Daniels' game

Anthem
10-23-2008, 02:01 PM
Fine with me. More minutes for Rush.

OakMoses
10-23-2008, 05:10 PM
I think the issue is the tendonitis in his knee, not the ankle injury he suffered in his one preseason game. My understanding is that tendonitis is only cured with rest. If that's the case, I'd much rather have him sit out the first couple months than the last couple. I am pretty worried about this. It was tendonitis in a knee that caused Daniels to miss a lot of games (and supposedly play subpar in a number of others) over the past 2 seasons. I think Dun is tougher than 'Quis, but I'd still sit him until he's 100%.

Anthem
10-23-2008, 10:22 PM
I think the issue is the tendonitis in his knee, not the ankle injury he suffered in his one preseason game. My understanding is that tendonitis is only cured with rest. If that's the case, I'd much rather have him sit out the first couple months than the last couple. I am pretty worried about this. It was tendonitis in a knee that caused Daniels to miss a lot of games (and supposedly play subpar in a number of others) over the past 2 seasons. I think Dun is tougher than 'Quis, but I'd still sit him until he's 100%.
Agreed. And then trade him immediately.

MillerTime
10-24-2008, 12:28 AM
The Pacers should rest Dunleavy, until hes 100% ready to play. You dont want an injury getting worse. The way Marquis is playing these days, we can afford to have Dunleavy miss a few games. Rush is giving us some quality mins off the bench also. If Dunleavy needs to miss about 5 - 7 games, it should be too big of an issue. I dont mind seeing Quis play the way he is right now

Hicks
10-24-2008, 12:53 AM
I agree in leaving him out until there's no sign of trouble.

Of course, the problem is that Dunleavy's experience the same issue that bothered Marquis. And we all know how long that took him to get over.

dohman
10-24-2008, 02:28 AM
I would hate to see his shot suffer because he is hurting in the knees from trying to come back to soon. Because that is exactly what is going to happen. As long as Quis is playing good basketball and we have rush to sub for quis and granger then we are set for a while.

Raskolnikov
10-24-2008, 10:22 AM
I agree in leaving him out until there's no sign of trouble.

Of course, the problem is that Dunleavy's experience the same issue that bothered Marquis. And we all know how long that took him to get over.
Yeah, and there are other examples: Steve Francis, ...I could go on. That tendinitis thing seems like a real sting. Please don't let it mutilate one of our best players.

NuffSaid
10-24-2008, 12:08 PM
"I basically can't run on it, can't cut on it, slide, plant, pretty much all the verbs used to describe playing basketball. From that point, it's hard to play a basketball game," Dunleavy said.
I flashbacks from JO when I read that, and the images weren't good!

Sit Dun out until he's 100%. We don't want a repeat of how a similar injury situation plagued JO last year w/JO.

andreialta
10-24-2008, 02:16 PM
i think Dun should be good for the opener.. i think he tweaked it during the memphis game. but he should be good next week. it's just soreness imo.. Cross Fingers

Naptown_Seth
10-24-2008, 02:24 PM
I got tendinitis one summer when we played tons of ball every day. Couldn't jump for about a month, gave up trying to play because it was horrible to try.

So I'm worried. Even if he's giving it a go he won't be able to play his normal game and his shot is especially going to suffer. Given his defensive ability and the fact that he's already overmatched trying to defend the SG position it seems like a huge mistake to play him below 95-100% with this issue.

Naptown_Seth
10-24-2008, 02:28 PM
BTW

Hornets center Melvin Ely pulled O'Brien aside during the Pacers coach's pregame media session to apologize for his actions during the Oct. 8 game between the teams at Pepsi Coliseum in Indianapolis.
Ely had to be held back by his teammates after he got upset that Pacers rookie center Roy Hibbert inadvertently hit him in the nose with an elbow while trying to clear space between the two.
Hibbert was ejected after he was given a flagrant foul penalty 2 for hitting Ely.

Classy move by Ely. Honestly I was surprised to see him react like that in the first place because he's always come off as a really good guy and a team player in the past, at least to me. He may not look the part with that beard but it seems like he has a lot of class and respect for others.

pacergod2
10-24-2008, 03:38 PM
I am in complete agreement Anthem. I have been advocating for trading Dunleavy forever. I like Dunleavy but he is the only big contract we have that we could feasibly unload. His value is at the highest it will ever be after this past year. Now it looks like this tendonitis might make it impossible to trade him. He is good. Get something for him. He's what 29 right now. 30 by next season. And he plays a position that our franchise cornerstone plays. Rush and Granger are our future on the wings. He doesn't really fit our time frame except as a savvy shooter off the bench who is not worth 10M a year. I think we need to trade him.

Give me something like this with the Lakers:

Tinsley
Dunleavy

for

Radmanovic
Walton
Mihm

Gives us calary cap flexibility in that walton and vladrad have smaller deals. We save about 5M over the life. We cut Mihm whose an injured stiff. We are only looking at 11.3M vs. 17.0M next year on our books and 12.1M vs 18.2M the year after. It makes a lot of sense to us. Get rid of a couple of guys not in the picture after this year. The Lakers get two guys who would be WAY more useful to their team. Sorry to turn this into the trade forum, which I know some of you hate, but its applicable to this reasoning.

count55
10-24-2008, 03:47 PM
It's picking nits, but...

Dunleavy just turned 28 on September 15th.

More to the point, we should probably hold on to Junior until we're sure that we'll be able to lock up Danny.

PacerGuy
10-24-2008, 03:49 PM

Tinsley
Dunleavy

for

Radmanovic
Walton
Mihm

Good God NO!
Walton's deal is bad.
If you deal Dun, get back L.Odom, play him @ the 4, & clear cap @ year end, not entering into a long Walton deal that extends beyond '11 when Dun, Murph (& if still "attached Tin's are off the books.
For LA, Dun is better @ the 3 & better fit w/ the triangle "O".

pacergod2
10-24-2008, 03:57 PM
I too would much rather have Odom coming back, but money wise I don't think it would happen. We would probably need to sweeten the pot some. 14M versus 52M? Even the Lakers are somewhat cost conscious.

Infinite MAN_force
10-24-2008, 10:23 PM
What is with this obsession with trading our best players? especially for junk.

Salary cap flexibility is so overated. The only cap concern I have is signing our own players. Maybe have a small amount of room to sign role players. Big time free agent signings rarely work out, and its not likely to happen in Indy anyway.

duke dynamite
10-25-2008, 12:08 PM
I am in complete agreement Anthem. I have been advocating for trading Dunleavy forever. I like Dunleavy but he is the only big contract we have that we could feasibly unload. His value is at the highest it will ever be after this past year. Now it looks like this tendonitis might make it impossible to trade him. He is good. Get something for him. He's what 29 right now. 30 by next season. And he plays a position that our franchise cornerstone plays. Rush and Granger are our future on the wings. He doesn't really fit our time frame except as a savvy shooter off the bench who is not worth 10M a year. I think we need to trade him.

Tinsley
Dunleavy

for

Radmanovic
Walton
Mihm

Gives us calary cap flexibility in that walton and vladrad have smaller deals. We save about 5M over the life. We cut Mihm whose an injured stiff. We are only looking at 11.3M vs. 17.0M next year on our books and 12.1M vs 18.2M the year after. It makes a lot of sense to us. Get rid of a couple of guys not in the picture after this year. The Lakers get two guys who would be WAY more useful to their team. Sorry to turn this into the trade forum, which I know some of you hate, but its applicable to this reasoning.
No. I don't need to explain why, just no.

Good God NO!
Walton's deal is bad.
If you deal Dun, get back L.Odom, play him @ the 4, & clear cap @ year end, not entering into a long Walton deal that extends beyond '11 when Dun, Murph (& if still "attached Tin's are off the books.
For LA, Dun is better @ the 3 & better fit w/ the triangle "O".

What is with this obsession with trading our best players? especially for junk.

Salary cap flexibility is so overated. The only cap concern I have is signing our own players. Maybe have a small amount of room to sign role players. Big time free agent signings rarely work out, and its not likely to happen in Indy anyway.
Bingo. Why can't we just be happy with what we have? It works.

andreialta
10-25-2008, 12:21 PM
No. I don't need to explain why, just no.

Bingo. Why can't we just be happy with what we have? It works.

yeah i don't get it either. it's good to hear suggestions but some are just absurd.. Our Team Chemistry is good right now and if we get the whole squad playing we could make a run for a play-off spot. Nothing will change this team(to make a run for the championship or be a solid play-off contender) not unless we get a Real Superstar. ala kobe or LBJ. so with this team right now. we have a bunch of good solid players and a potential superstar with danny, and a great running mate for him with Mike. Solid bench players for now with Rush and Daniels. i say no trades besides Jamal :dance:

BobbyMac
10-25-2008, 12:30 PM
We will have little chance to sign a big time free agent regardless of what we do. We need to build with trades and the draft.

d_c
10-25-2008, 03:53 PM
Just FYI on this issue:

Dunleavy had a knee issue as early as the beginning of his rookie year in GS. I don't remember if it was the same knee, but it was of somewhat similar issues, IIRC.

Got to the point where Dunleavy and the coaching staff thought about "shutting it down" for awhile, but it never came to that (wasn't as if he was playing much his rookie year anyways).

The GS people thought it might have to do with Dunleavy having growing pains from another growth spurt coming on, though I'm not sure if he grew much if at all back then. Recall that he grew about two inches from when he first entered Duke to when he left for the NBA.

When Dunleavy came back for his much anticipated (by Warrior fans anyways) return in January, Baron Davis gave credit to Dunleavy for being a guy who was always willing to "play hurt". Don't know if it was the knee issue he was referring to.