PDA

View Full Version : End near for Exhaustin' Austin?

Erik
10-23-2008, 06:12 AM
DALLAS -- Austin Croshere's main focus is doing what he can to impress team officials. At the same time, he knows his second stint with the Indiana Pacers could end by Monday, when NBA rosters must be trimmed to the league mandated 15 players.

"I'm just really trying to embrace this opportunity to play for the Pacers another year," he said after working out at the American Airlines Center on Wednesday. "I'm only thinking about making the team. Things might play out differently and I'll worry about that in the future."

The Pacers conclude their preseason tonight against Dallas. So this could be Croshere's last game in a Pacers uniform. He spent his first nine seasons with the franchise, playing a key role in the 2000 NBA Finals.

Pacers president Larry Bird brought Croshere to camp with the intention of giving him every opportunity to make the roster.

In order for him to stay, however, someone with a guaranteed contract must be cut.

The Pacers are continuing to pursue trade options for point guard Jamaal Tinsley, who remains away from the team. They're talking to "several teams" about Tinsley, but no deal appears imminent.

Pacers general manager David Morway said Croshere and Josh Davis have "had terrific camps, so we have some tough decisions to make."

Croshere, who has received a warm welcome from fans, was one of the Pacers' best players during the first week of camp, but he struggled once games began. He started the first three games but shot just 1-of-10, including 0-for-8 on 3-pointers.

"I didn't shoot the ball well in those games," Croshere said. "I'm more comfortable coming off the bench. The last three games since I've been moved to the bench, I feel like I played well enough and hopefully the coaches feel the same way and there's an opportunity."

Croshere has gone 7-of-14 with 14 rebounds and six assists since his slow start. He didn't play against New Orleans on Tuesday because coach Jim O'Brien has shortened his rotation.

"There have been some things that have happened on the court that he has done very well," O'Brien said. "He's a terrific leader. I value his leadership and I'm hoping he gets a chance to be in a Pacers uniform."

If he is released -- at this point it seems likely -- Croshere and his wife will decide his future. Until then, he plans to remain in Indianapolis, where he has continued to own a home.

"There's a lot of things that are not in my control," he said. "I'm worrying about things I do have control over. I think I've shown in my three weeks here that I'm good enough to play in the NBA and help teams. I think this team has a chance of making the playoffs. I think a veteran would help."

Call Star reporter Mike Wells at (317) 444-6053.http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20081023/SPORTS04/810230474
I'm glad to see that the Pacers aren't hurting themselves to get him on the team just to win a few sentimental fans back. No disrespect, hopefully something can get done sensibly, there definatley would be an upside to having him back. Maybe we can wait until we get into the season after some more moves are made.

Unclebuck
10-23-2008, 08:09 AM
I think he's gone. and this quote from Jim O'Brien convinced me, "There have been some things that have happened on the court that he has done very well," O'Brien said. "He's a terrific leader. I value his leadership and I'm hoping he gets a chance to be in a Pacers uniform."

Yeah, that about seals it. Assuming no other trades or major injuries.

rexnom
10-23-2008, 08:20 AM
I think he's gone. and this quote from Jim O'Brien convinced me, "There have been some things that have happened on the court that he has done very well," O'Brien said. "He's a terrific leader. I value his leadership and I'm hoping he gets a chance to be in a Pacers uniform."

That sure is a funny quote. Either Obie has no say at all when it comes to cuts (unlikely) or Austin's out.

DGPR
10-23-2008, 08:50 AM
Maybe he can be with the team in some form other than a player.

count55
10-23-2008, 08:55 AM

That sure is a funny quote. Either Obie has no say at all when it comes to cuts (unlikely) or Austin's out.

It could be that Obie has say, but not final say.

The one thing floating around in this whole mess that gets either forgotten or taken for granted is that Tinsley is basically a dead roster spot. I'm sure that, strictly from a coaching/picking roster POV, Obie would rather cut Tinsley, but he recognizes that a decision that large isn't in his purview.

It's also possible that he may suggest cutting one of the guaranteed contracts (Baston, Graham, or McBob), in favor Austin, but realizes that he may get vetoed due to financial concerns.

I've said before that I'd probably let Austin go simply because of the contract situation, but it wouldn't break my heart to see any of the three aforementioned players cut either. Whatever happens, I don't see it having a huge impact on the season.

Unclebuck
10-23-2008, 09:09 AM
count55 - if you read what O'Brien has said about McRoberts - I doubt that he has any intention of cutting him - he's been very complimentary of him.

I think cutting Cro is the right move and I don't care that he has a non-guaranteed contract.

count55
10-23-2008, 09:20 AM
count55 - if you read what O'Brien has said about McRoberts - I doubt that he has any intention of cutting him - he's been very complimentary of him.

I think cutting Cro is the right move and I don't care that he has a non-guaranteed contract.

Yeah, two weeks ago, I wouldn't have had Baston on that list, and McBob would've been 1st on the chopping block, but today I think he's solid (in terms of earning a roster spot).

All things being equal, I think I'd cut Graham, but that's probably a combination of my belief he doesn't have much of a future and the fact that I don't want another 2 around competing for minutes with Brandon Rush.

Like I said, it's a regrettable situation, but not particularly consequential.

Speed
10-23-2008, 09:30 AM
Yeah, two weeks ago, I wouldn't have had Baston on that list, and McBob would've been 1st on the chopping block, but today I think he's solid (in terms of earning a roster spot).

All things being equal, I think I'd cut Graham, but that's probably a combination of my belief he doesn't have much of a future and the fact that I don't want another 2 around competing for minutes with Brandon Rush.

Like I said, it's a regrettable situation, but not particularly consequential.

I'd agree, but with Shawne gone, if you cut Graham it would leave you 4 wings, maybe 5 if you count JJ in the rotation. I think with Dunleavy not being able to even make a basketball type move on the court due to injury just two days ago, you have to keep Graham at least to start the season. He's at least serviceable, doesn't hurt you too much in limited minutes.

I also, don't think JJ should be playing primarily as a wing player, but I guess that is yet to be seen if he's viable there or not.

I think Dun being out or questionable hurts Austin's chances indirectly.

The other thing is where has Maceo been, I know he's been sick, but did he even play at all since the opening game?

I know I've been told that the league will pick up part of Austin's contract, but would his full amount still count against the cap, and I'm sure the person cut would count too. It becomes almost where if it puts you in a financial bind, like being too close to the luxury limit, then Austin doesn't have a chance.

You also have to think, what if Tj or JJ go down, you'd HAVE to pick up another point guard, there's no other option. You have to have cap room to potentially do that.

rexnom
10-23-2008, 09:36 AM
I think Graham is safe. We do need more backups, in case of injury. Especially if we've given him guaranteed money.

count55
10-23-2008, 09:49 AM
I'd agree, but with Shawne gone, if you cut Graham it would leave you 4 wings, maybe 5 if you count JJ in the rotation. I think with Dunleavy not being able to even make a basketball type move on the court due to injury just two days ago, you have to keep Graham at least to start the season. He's at least serviceable, doesn't hurt you too much in limited minutes.

I also, don't think JJ should be playing primarily as a wing player, but I guess that is yet to be seen if he's viable there or not.

I think Dun being out or questionable hurts Austin's chances indirectly.

I hadn't considered the Dunleavy issue.

I know I've been told that the league will pick up part of Austin's contract, but would his full amount still count against the cap, and I'm sure the person cut would count too. It becomes almost where if it puts you in a financial bind, like being too close to the luxury limit, then Austin doesn't have a chance.

The full amount counts against the cap, but only $0.8 of the $1.3 would count towards the luxury tax.

You also have to think, what if Tj or JJ go down, you'd HAVE to pick up another point guard, there's no other option. You have to have cap room to potentially do that.

I spoke of this in the Eddie Jones thread:

http://www.pacersdigest.com/apache2-default/showpost.php?p=791711&postcount=18

Now, Shamsports acknowledges that they don't have official salary numbers, but they've been pretty reliable. However, their figures are close enough to the tax threshhold that even relatively small differences between Sham's numbers and the real numbers could render my inferrences invalid.

Speed
10-23-2008, 09:57 AM
Thanks Count, I knew I had seen something on how that worked, I just couldn't remember.

Justin Tyme
10-23-2008, 10:36 AM
[QUOTE=count55;794817]

The one thing floating around in this whole mess that gets either forgotten or taken for granted is that Tinsley is basically a dead roster spot. QUOTE]

Another fly in the ointment with Tinsley taking up a roster spot is "when" he is traded it probably won't be 1 for 1 trade thus creating more roster problems if the Pacers have to take back more than 1 player. Someone with a guaranteed contract will have to be cut, either an existing Pacer or a new player from the trade. Tinsley being on this team is nothing more than a PITA!

Anthem
10-23-2008, 11:04 AM
The funny thing? This makes me sad.

Even though I pushed the whole "Austin shouldn't be our 15th man" angle pretty hard, I really do like the guy and was actually hoping for him that he'd make the cut. That's purely my heart, not my head, but I do feel bad for him not making it.

McKeyFan
10-23-2008, 11:06 AM

Even though I pushed the whole "Austin shouldn't be our 15th man" angle pretty hard, I really do like the guy and was actually hoping for him that he'd make the cut. That's purely my heart, not my head, but I do feel bad for him not making it.

You're a conflicted character worthy of a Greek tragedy.

clownskull
10-23-2008, 11:45 AM

i feel the same. even though i wasn't big on cutting him or keeping him, i was afraid maybe he'd make it just for sentimental reasons. but of he can be more useful off the bench, i'd probably cut baston. i was kinda hoping he'd make the cut because he really is a good guy and it's hard to root against those types since they are kinda rare.

Justin Tyme
10-23-2008, 12:45 PM
i'd probably cut baston.

He's got my vote as the one to cut, BUT at almost 2 mil salary it won't happen. If Maceo had a salary like McBob, the Pacers would cut Baston and keep Cro. I, personally, feel Cro has more to offer than Maceo, but Maceo's salary will keep him on the roster.:(

maragin
10-23-2008, 02:25 PM
I really liked Baston during his stint here. His non-presence during the preseason for what I assume is front office jargon leads me to believe the Pacers do not wish to go forward with him.

I think Cro won't make the opening night squad. I think that there is a very strong possibility that he will be wearing a Pacers jersey by the all-star break.

Infinite MAN_force
10-23-2008, 02:35 PM
If someone gets cut to keep austin, it will be baston. He has barely even played in the preseason. I'm pretty sure Mcbob and Graham are here to stay for this season.

Anthem
10-23-2008, 05:04 PM
I'd thought Baston was one of the guys on the chopping block, but this article makes me think he's not. Apparently Croshere's been competing against McBob and Graham, not Baston.

After thinking about this, it sure looks as if when Morway says that Cro and Davis have had terrific camps, he's clearing the way to say "but we're cutting both of them."

Erik
10-23-2008, 05:13 PM
I just got a breaking news text from Indystar that says the Pacers waived Cro and Davis. I don't see anything on Indystar.com yet so I have no link.

duke dynamite
10-23-2008, 05:52 PM
E-mail I received:

Tony,
As a friend of the franchise, we wanted to let you know of recent changes with your Indiana Pacers. The Pacers announced Thursday they have waived forwards Austin Croshere and Josh Davis. The Pacers roster now stands at 15.
"This was an extremely difficult decision to waive Austin," said Pacers General Manager David Morway. "Austin's a terrific professional and has represented this franchise extremely well and we appreciate his passion, dedication and commitment to the Pacers over the years." Morway added, "both Austin and Josh had very good camps and we think both players will find a place in the NBA this season."
For more information, visit Pacers.com.

Raoul Duke
10-23-2008, 06:07 PM
E-mail I received:

Tony,
As a friend of the franchise, we wanted to let you know of recent changes with your Indiana Pacers. The Pacers announced Thursday they have waived forwards Austin Croshere and Josh Davis. The Pacers roster now stands at 15.
"This was an extremely difficult decision to waive Austin," said Pacers General Manager David Morway. "Austin's a terrific professional and has represented this franchise extremely well and we appreciate his passion, dedication and commitment to the Pacers over the years." Morway added, "both Austin and Josh had very good camps and we think both players will find a place in the NBA this season."

WOW!!! Who'd you have to know to get that email????

ChicagoJ
10-23-2008, 06:18 PM
I think Cro won't make the opening night squad. I think that there is a very strong possibility that he will be wearing a Pacers jersey by the all-star break.

Agreed. As the season falls apart, we'll be trading non-core guys like Foster, Daniels, and perhaps Rasho for draft picks and we'll need Austin.

El Pacero
10-23-2008, 06:28 PM
Sorry to see you go so soon AC. Thanks for all the years.
http://my.nba.com/thread.jspa?threadID=5800012371

duke dynamite
10-23-2008, 06:51 PM
Season Ticket Holder...

juadam09
10-23-2008, 06:54 PM
E-mail I received:

Tony,

I also got this email.

While I am not as pessimistic as Jay about this season being a failure, I do agree that I would not be at all surprised to see Croshere back in a Pacers jersey this season

OTD
10-23-2008, 07:04 PM
Someone ask who you had to know to get this kinda e-mail. I don't know anyone and got the same note.

juadam09
10-23-2008, 07:07 PM
I am not 100% sure but I believe you have to be on the "Pacers Insider mailing list" or a season ticket holder

El Pacero
10-23-2008, 07:18 PM
It's just a mailing list, I got the email and am not a season ticket holder.

duke dynamite
10-23-2008, 07:30 PM
Someone ask who you had to know to get this kinda e-mail. I don't know anyone and got the same note.

I am not 100% sure but I believe you have to be on the "Pacers Insider mailing list" or a season ticket holder

It's just a mailing list, I got the email and am not a season ticket holder.
I got automatically enrolled when I first became a STH. Yeah, anyone could be an "Insider".

That's just how I got on it.

JayRedd
10-23-2008, 08:15 PM

For the record, I got the same email at 6:09 and I've never stepped foot in Conseco. I think it's just a pacers.com mailing list you sign up for somewhere.

EDIT: Sorry for the repetitiveness...I should really start reading all the posts before I reply.

duke dynamite
10-23-2008, 08:18 PM
For the record, I got the same email at 6:09 and I think it's just a pacers.com mailing list you sign up for somewhere.

Yep, it is. Anyone can sign up for the mailing list, but there are some things I get as well as messages from my rep for being a STH. That was just not one of them...

Hicks
10-23-2008, 08:46 PM
Season ticket holders get it first, then insiders get it a while later. I never stopped being an insider after getting season tickets last year, so I get both. STH's always get it a while ahead of the insiders.

rexnom
10-23-2008, 08:49 PM
For the record, I got the same email at 6:09 and I've never stepped foot in Conseco. I think it's just a pacers.com mailing list you sign up for somewhere.

EDIT: Sorry for the repetitiveness...I should really start reading all the posts before I reply.
I guess you're just a big deal then.

Hicks
10-23-2008, 08:52 PM
STH's got it at 5:11PM

JayRedd
10-23-2008, 09:03 PM
I guess you're just a big deal then.

Kind of.

duke dynamite
10-23-2008, 09:29 PM
STH's got it at 5:11PM
Yep.

dal9
10-23-2008, 09:49 PM
All of you are named Tony?

duke dynamite
10-23-2008, 09:59 PM
All of you are named Tony?
AFAIK, just me.

juadam09
10-23-2008, 10:06 PM
Season ticket holders get it first, then insiders get it a while later. I never stopped being an insider after getting season tickets last year, so I get both. STH's always get it a while ahead of the insiders.

Same for me. I just removed myself from the "Insider mailing" because I was tired of duplicates.