PDA

View Full Version : Foster versus Murphy Smackdown

BlueNGold
10-22-2008, 08:13 PM
If you had to choose, who would you start at the PF position this year?

Assume that player will start and play the lion's share of the minutes regardless of who you have to put on the floor with him. With injuries, that may just happen.

mildlysane
10-22-2008, 08:20 PM
Troy gets paid too much to play off the bench. Jeff will be a good energy guy off the bench.

jeffg-body
10-22-2008, 08:30 PM
I chose Murph, but Foster would get a good load of the minutes as well.

Pacemaker
10-22-2008, 08:37 PM
Troy gets paid too much to play off the bench. Jeff will be a good energy guy off the bench.

x 2.

duke dynamite
10-22-2008, 08:45 PM
Man, I thought this was going to be a Chester Rumble...

I chose Murph. He is more consistent.

JayRedd
10-22-2008, 08:52 PM
Foster.

Murphy and Rasho are pretty redundant offensively.

Foster/Rasho, Muprhy/Hibbert, and Murphy/Foster are the three most ideal matches as the two big guys when we're not playing small ball.

OTD
10-22-2008, 08:59 PM
TPTB seem to always want to have some eles to start, but they always end up starting Jeff. Why because He give you all his got.

BlueNGold
10-22-2008, 09:00 PM
I've always been surprised that so many people pick Murphy over Foster. I still can't shake that image of Rasheed posting up Murph...

Yes, as the poster says above...Foster's obit has been written many times. I favor defense over offense, particularly for big guys. I have always wanted to see the guards and SF's light up the scoreboard...

Hicks
10-22-2008, 10:13 PM

I can't stand this reasoning. "He gets paid more money, so he should play a bigger role."

It's the other way around. You get paid for what you do. After that, you could drop considerably and still get paid the same. Play who deserves to play.

If Maceo Baston was sitting on $20mm this year, I still wouldn't play him ahead of Murphy or Foster.

McKeyFan
10-22-2008, 10:32 PM
I can't stand this reasoning. "He gets paid more money, so he should play a bigger role."

It's the other way around. You get paid for what you do. After that, you could drop considerably and still get paid the same. Play who deserves to play.

If Maceo Baston was sitting on $20mm this year, I still wouldn't play him ahead of Murphy or Foster.

That would make Baston our leader. He should tell anyone trying to lead to back off.

tora tora
10-23-2008, 03:39 AM
Jeff should start every game, makes the team so much better defensively. Murphy's a cream puff, bring him off the bench. Rasho needs to take a walk.

naptownmenace
10-23-2008, 09:33 AM
Foster hustles and plays hard but offensively his man sags off him and this prevents dribble penetration. Murphy spreads the floor because of his outside shooting touch and the ball movement is much better when he's in the lineup.

Jeff is a much better offensive rebounder but Murphy is a better defensive rebounder. Murphy is good at drawing fouls and hitting FTs. Jeff also draws fouls but is a bad FT shooter.

Murphy, IMO, is the better all-around player and deserves to start.

count55
10-23-2008, 09:40 AM
You really can't make any money on the difference between the players, so it's kind of a moot point. Jeff's a great rebounder, solid defender, good hustle guy, but woeful offensively. Murph's a good shooter and decent rebounder, but woeful defensively.

Foster can't go more than 20-24 minutes over the course of the season without risk of injury or exposing his problems offensively.

It's trite, but the starting lineup is overrated, and it's who finishes that matters. I can see there being games where it's right to have Foster, and games where it's right to have Murph.

ChicagoJ
10-23-2008, 10:02 AM
Foster hustles and plays hard but offensively his man sags off him and this prevents dribble penetration. Murphy spreads the floor because of his outside shooting touch and the ball movement is much better when he's in the lineup.

Jeff is a much better offensive rebounder but Murphy is a better defensive rebounder. Murphy is good at drawing fouls and hitting FTs. Jeff also draws fouls but is a bad FT shooter.

Murphy, IMO, is the better all-around player and deserves to start.

Yes. Thanks.

RamBo_Lamar
10-23-2008, 10:04 AM
Must easily give the vote to Murphy, since have never really viewed Foster
as a PF.

Foster, in my view, is much better suited for being a reserve C, even a
finishing C in many situations, rather than a starting C or PF.

Just can't see there being too many situations where matchups dictate he
should spend much time at the 4 spot.

If the vote in question was Murphy vs. Foster for reserve or even starting
C, I would just as easily vote for Foster.

PS: Smackdown?? lol

OakMoses
10-23-2008, 10:06 AM
You can probably get away with starting Foster if we've got Dunleavy in the lineup, but I'm really starting to think that he's going to miss more than a few games early in the season. With Daniels or Rush starting, we're in bad need of Murphy's scoring.

ChicagoJ
10-23-2008, 10:12 AM
It's trite, but the starting lineup is overrated, and it's who finishes that matters. I can see there being games where it's right to have Foster, and games where it's right to have Murph.

I disagree. When it comes to the fourth quarter, I'd rather have Croshere, who is a better FT shooter, good at getting to the line, a capable rebounder, and stronger (physically) defensively. (Keep in mind, I don't care for Foster's speed-based post defense so I don't think any of the three are particuarly good interior defenders and therefore its a "wash".)

I always thought Croshere should start and play the first five minutes of each half to get his rhythm and then the last eight minutes of the game. Austin makes up for his talent/ speed disadvantage with mental toughness and clutch play that neither Jeff nor Troy are know for.

count55
10-23-2008, 10:19 AM
I disagree. When it comes to the fourth quarter, I'd rather have Croshere, who is a better FT shooter, good at getting to the line, a capable rebounder, and stronger (physically) defensively. (Keep in mind, I don't care for Foster's speed-based post defense so I don't think any of the three are particuarly good interior defenders and therefore its a "wash".)

I always thought Croshere should start and play the first five minutes of each half to get his rhythm and then the last eight minutes of the game. Austin makes up for his talent/ speed disadvantage with mental toughness and clutch play that neither Jeff nor Troy are know for.

Well, I could probably get behind this (or at least buy into it somewhat) three or four years ago, I'm not convinced Croshere is a realistic option at this stage of his career...particularly if he gets cut. ;)

Left with Murphy/Foster, I just think that it's going to depend on the situation, and, somewhat simplistically, the kind of game they're having. I'd prefer stability, but in situations where there is little overall difference, it will usually be a game time decision.

(Though I ardently hope that the margin between winning and losing rarely comes down to a choice between Murph & Foster.)

ChicagoJ
10-23-2008, 10:36 AM
Croshere is like Mullin in that I'm not worried too much about his aging. He was never a particuarly great athlete and his success doesn't depend on it.

He may get lost in the numbers game, because while we don't have a single great PF, we have a lot of overpaid backups already and one of them is going to have to start.