PDA

View Full Version : Mark it on your calendars

square1
10-22-2008, 01:07 AM
after following these preseason games and thinking about the PG situation i truly believe that Jack will be starting by mid season. Ford obviously will struggle all year at perimeter defense and I believe will be better matched up against other teams back up PG. I look at Jack and see a similar early skill set and ability type as Chauncey Billups with Billups being a much more skilled shooter. But I see similarities in post up abilities, being a general on floor and overall perimeter defense. Chauncey didnt start out at the level hes at and I wonder can Jack turn into same type player with the right opportunity. Plus I feel his defense will be a driving point with JOB and Bird. Thoughts?

dohman
10-22-2008, 01:19 AM
after following these preseason games and thinking about the PG situation i truly believe that Jack will be starting by mid season. Ford obviously will struggle all year at perimeter defense and I believe will be better matched up against other teams back up PG. I look at Jack and see a similar early skill set and ability type as Chauncey Billups with Billups being a much more skilled shooter. But I see similarities in post up abilities, being a general on floor and overall perimeter defense. Chauncey didnt start out at the level hes at and I wonder can Jack turn into same type player with the right opportunity. Plus I feel his defense will be a driving point with JOB and Bird. Thoughts?

Here just two weeks ago people were saying he was horrible and needed to be off the team. How fast things change.

CableKC
10-22-2008, 01:31 AM
You can read this thread I posted on the Blazers RealGM board after we traded for him:

http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=819633

For those that have actually watched him in our Preseason games, tell me what you think about him and whether most of the compliments and ( more importantly ) criticisms about his game is valid.

Most of what I read there point out that he's not very good at handling the fastbreak ( a requirement in JO'Bs offense ), tends to turnover the ball more often then not and can be inconsistent on the offensive end from time to time.

IMHO....I get the sense that he will be much better suited to be a backup PG then Starting PG. He maybe used more often then not ( like tonight's game against CP ) when we play teams with opposing PGs that are simply owning Ford on the offensive end.....but I still think that his skills lend more to a backup PG that can adequately run the offense while providing defense.

I think that Ford will still start for us.....but we will probably see a closer division of PG minutes between Ford and Jack.

count55
10-22-2008, 08:06 AM
My thoughts are this:

The players, coaches, and front office (generally) spend most of their time trying to build a team.

The fans and media spend most of their time trying to tear it apart.

Mourning
10-22-2008, 08:20 AM
My thoughts are this:

The players, coaches, and front office (generally) spend most of their time trying to build a team.

The fans and media spend most of their time trying to tear it apart.

:amen:*

*Well with the added asterix of a lot of fans and media acting like that, definitely not all fans though, but I got your wink ;).

Major Cold
10-22-2008, 08:38 AM
I think Jack will be a great compement to Ford. But the PG still has limitations. If Ford can't defend late in the game and Jack is careless late in the game, the Dunleavy may have just became our most important player on the team.

Unclebuck
10-22-2008, 08:44 AM
My normal inclination is to be drawn towards point guards like Jack. Bigger, defensive minded, better shooter

xtacy
10-22-2008, 08:53 AM
jack and tj ford compliment each other and i couldn't care less which one will be starting as long as they do a good job on the court.

Speed
10-22-2008, 09:23 AM
A few of things.

I hope TJs ego doesn't get in the way of these shared responsibilities.

It's typical Pacers, you have 2 guys at a position who would make up one really good player. It's been like that for years, it's frustrating.

It will be interesting in that, I think if you need a basket at the end of the game, TJ will be your guy, but if you want staunch defense it seems like it's JJ.

I want to see JJ against the rash of small/quick shooting guards that are sprinkled around the league. Arenas (hurt), D Wade, AI, Ben Gordon. I mean these guys have killed the Pacers in the recent past, it seems JJ might have a chance to at least slow them down. In this scenario you could see TJ and JJ on the floor together.

Could this be a catalyst for TJ to step up his defense to get on the court more.

In all fairness and I'm being a TJ apologist here, but it won't get much harder than Tony Parker and Chris Paul. Sure there is Chauncey, but you also have some Jameer Nelsons, Mike Bibbys, Luke Ridnaur and the such. I think TJ can exploit those players pretty badly in those type match ups.

My point is this after all of this rambling. You're gonna need both of them depending on the match up. The trick will be to exploit their advantages, not just run from there disadvantages. This will be up to the coaches and may be tricky.

Good for Obie to not force it and play who has the best advantage, instead of trying to stroke egos. So far, so good.