PDA

View Full Version : Jason Maxiell 'Looking At the Whole Picture': I hope the Pacers sign him

FerengiMiller
10-22-2008, 12:37 AM
ESPN.com reported this...

Looking At the Whole Picture (http://www.freep.com/article/20081020/SPORTS03/810200369/1048/SPORTS)
Jason Maxiell | Pistons
Forward Jason Maxiell confirmed a published report that he will not sign a contract extension by Oct. 31, meaning he will become a restricted free agent at the end of the season.

"I'm looking at the whole picture and not just this year, but looking to the future to see where everything stands and just play it out," Maxiell said.

"It's a great organization and I love the players," Maxiell said. "The city and fans are great. It's like home already. I don't want to leave it." -- Detroit Free Press

Maxiell is 25, the same age as Granger and TJ Ford, I hope we make a run at bringing him in as our PF of the future, I know he is 6 foot 7 but he still makes an impact and has the ability to run the floor with our fast wings and get a lot of rebounds off their missed shots, i.e., second shot opportunities.

Birth Date February 18, 1983
Birth Place Chicago, IL
Height 6-7
Weight 260 lbs.

http://www.nba.com/media/summerleague2007/act_jason_maxiell.jpg

Age 25
Position PF
Experience 3 years
College Cincinnati

http://assets.espn.go.com/i/pkg/05NBAdraft/250/18791.jpg

CableKC
10-22-2008, 12:57 AM
Assuming that we have the Salarycap space to sign him up to the full MLE after resigning both Granger and Jack....I would try to sign him.

I've read on the Pistons RealGM board that he's the type of guy that can come off the bench with a lot of energy but has a tendency to wear himself down if he plays for an extended # of minutes.

Regardless.....he's a low-post rebounding defensive PF that I think would fit in well this type offense/defense we run.

With that said....he'll probably end up anywhere other then the Pacers.....my guess....probably with the Bobcats ( remember....they made an offer to Landry...yet another low-post scoring/rebounding PF ).

KStat.....what are your thoughts on Maxiell? You think he's worth the full MLE?

d_c
10-22-2008, 12:59 AM
Maxiell is closer to 6'5" than he is 6'7". He's undersized and he's not a good rebounder. Play him starter level minutes and these two facts will start to become more evident than they are right now as an energy guy off the bench.

Add to the fact that the Pacers likely won't be able to offer him more than the MLE. Detroit would likely match any such offer of the MLE or below, as they are safely below the luxury tax.

I don't see anyone throwing starter level money for Maxiell as he's just not starter material in this league. He's not going to get an above MLE offer and the Pistons should have no problems keeping him.

CableKC
10-22-2008, 01:10 AM
Maxiell is closer to 6'5" than he is 6'7". He's undersized and he's not a good rebounder. Play him starter level minutes and these two facts will start to become more evident than they are right now as an energy guy off the bench.

Add to the fact that the Pacers likely won't be able to offer him more than the ML, Detroit would likely match any such offer of the MLE or below, as they are safely below the luxury tax.

I don't see anyone throwing starter level money for Maxiell as he's just not starter material in this league. He's not going to get an above MLE offer and the Pistons should have no problems keeping him.
I think that we can afford to offer some player the full MLE even after resigning Granger and Jack. I know it's not much for players nowadays.....but I would much rather try then not....regardless of whether the Pistons match or not.

IMHO....I think that because Murphy is not going anywhere soon as a Starter alongside our eventual Starting Center in a player like Hibbert....any PF that we get will likely be getting about 20-22 mpg in a backup role....either next to or ahead of Foster in the PF/C rotation.

I maybe shortsighted....but I don't feel that we need a Starting quality PF....we already have one ( whether we like it or not ) in Murphy. I just think that we just need a backup Low-Post scoring PF that can provide some decent rebounding and block a shot or two.....basically be a player that can complement ( on the offensive end of the court ) Murphy in the frontcourt. Besides, I think that the type of player that we can get at the full MLE is going to be a rotational player at best.

rexnom
10-22-2008, 01:14 AM

Add to the fact that the Pacers likely won't be able to offer him more than the MLE. Detroit would likely match any such offer of the MLE or below, as they are safely below the luxury tax.

Really? You don't? Does one fact (starter level money) correlate with the other (non-starter level talent)?

That being said, I agree with your overall sentiment.

duke dynamite
10-22-2008, 02:19 AM
There needs to be an "undecided" option here...

Mainly because I want to hear what KStat has to say about him...

Quis
10-22-2008, 02:27 AM
I like Utah's Paul Milsap better, although I doubt either ever becomes a good starter.

Mourning
10-22-2008, 06:29 AM
While I think he's a good player I want our future PF to be taller and a better rebounder. Backup? Absolutely! Starter? No thanks.

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

D-BONE
10-22-2008, 07:45 AM
I like Utah's Paul Milsap better, although I doubt either ever becomes a good starter.

I like Milsap more, too. I question whether we will realistically be able to obtain either one on the FA market. I also agree that it's unlikely either would be an effective big-minute starter.

However, I think either would fill a need for us-strong, physical, energy guy at the four. We could probably live with only moderate minutes from a guy of that nature. Also, both these guys are technically undersized in height in the prototypical PF sense.

OakMoses
10-22-2008, 10:19 AM
I voted no because I couldn't vote "If he comes cheap" like I wanted to. I don't think Maxiell will ever be much more than he is right now: a good back-up PF. If he came cheap, I'd be fine with him being the Pacers backup PF. If we get him with the intention of starting him, or give him the full MLE, then I don't want him.

mildlysane
10-22-2008, 11:27 AM
I kinda think his size makes him Ike D 2. No thanks.

idioteque
10-22-2008, 11:55 AM
We've already tried the undersize PF experiment with Diogu.

Would I take Maxiell as a high energy off the bench type of player? Of course. Would I want to spend the kind of money to risk that this guy is the Pacers' future at PF? Absolutely not. I would only sign Maxiell if his salary was commensurate to that of other backup PF's.

Maxiell will be available in 3-5 years again, after a team makes a mistake of giving him much too large of a contract in the upcoming offseason. I really hope that team isn't the Pacers.

PR07
10-22-2008, 12:44 PM
Maxiell's a much better athlete than Diogu though. He's participated in a dunk contest, something that Diogu would never do.

d_c
10-22-2008, 02:02 PM
If he came cheap, I'd be fine with him being the Pacers backup PF. If we get him with the intention of starting him, or give him the full MLE, then I don't want him.

That's kind of the point of why the he's likely to remain a Piston. If you sign him for cheap, the Pistons say "Thank you very much" and exercise their right to match the offer. The "get him if we can sign him for cheap" mantra is pretty much a moot point because of this. If you want Maxiell, you're going to have to overpay.

And he's unlikely to sign for too cheap. He already turned down 3 years and $15M from Detroit and has decided to play out the season. So at the very least, you know you'll have to beat out 3/$15M.

Fool
10-23-2008, 08:42 AM
^That's on point.

He's worth the contract he turned down, not much more. He helps a team but has plenty of holes in his game that keep him on the bench (rebounding, defensive rotation, poor free throw shooting, size - though he makes up for it in ways it's still a factor). The guy runs the court, has a streaky jumper that can really lock in at times, is explosive, has a good temperament, eats babies.

Pacers#1Fan
10-23-2008, 09:01 AM
If he really is closer to 6' 5" than 6' 7" then our center (I completely expect Hibbert to start next season) would be almost a foot taller than our PF!
Honestly to me his size is the biggest red-flag. I would prefer to keep the colts defense the only thing attempting success going small (and even there it is getting old). The only undersized PF I would honestly want to go with is Josh Smith (but even he is 2 to 4 inches taller than Maxiell) though I know that is farfetched.
I would go 2-2.5 mill per year... more than that, nah

xtacy
10-23-2008, 10:20 AM
he's aggresive and athletic. he can run the floor very well for his size and can shoot the ball so he would obviously do well in our offense. but he wouldn't do any good defensively because he's undersized and not a good rebounder. that's why i answered no.

Justin Tyme
10-23-2008, 10:53 AM
Not interested in Maxiell. Isn't the type POWER FORWARD I want for the Pacers.

Kstat
10-25-2008, 11:44 PM
Mainly because I want to hear what KStat has to say about him...

He's an offensive "energy guy." When he comes in with a full tank, he can score 20 on anybody in short minutes, as well as gobble up offensive rebounds.

Unfortunately, some nights he simply doesn't have it, and 6'6" power forwards who rely on athletic ability do not last on the floor without energy.

Maxiell is a fan favorite, but he misses defensive assignments far to often for my liking, and %50 of the spectacular defensive plays he makes are a result of him ****ing up to begin with and losing track of his man.

He's a restricted FA meaning the Pistons will match any good offer he gets. The only way they cut him lose is if another team offers a full MLW type deal, at which price they can have him with my compliments. Having 7th or 8th men making $6-7 million a season is what kills franchises.

Problem is, with his lack of height and poor defensive instincts, Maxiell is never going to be a full time starter on a winning team. You don't give the MLE to career backups.

BTW, turning down that $5 million deal was an act of lunacy. He's going to play even less this year behind Amir Johnson.

rexnom
10-26-2008, 12:07 AM
He's an offensive "energy guy." When he comes in with a full tank, he can score 20 on anybody in short minutes, as well as gobble up offensive rebounds.

Unfortunately, some nights he simply doesn't have it, and 6'6" power forwards who rely on athletic ability do not last on the floor without energy.

Maxiell is a fan favorite, but he misses defensive assignments far to often for my liking, and %50 of the spectacular defensive plays he makes are a result of him ****ing up to begin with and losing track of his man.

He's a restricted FA meaning the Pistons will match any good offer he gets. The only way they cut him lose is if another team offers a full MLW type deal, at which price they can have him with my compliments. Having 7th or 8th men making $6-7 million a season is what kills franchises.

Problem is, with his lack of height and poor defensive instincts, Maxiell is never going to be a full time starter on a winning team. You don't give the MLE to career backups.

BTW, turning down that $5 million deal was an act of lunacy. He's going to play even less this year behind Amir Johnson.
Well, if his number one priority is to make money, it's not a bad idea. He's not going to get a full MLE deal from someone next year?

Kstat
10-26-2008, 12:54 AM
Well, if his number one priority is to make money, it's not a bad idea. He's not going to get a full MLE deal from someone next year?

Not if his minutes get cut this year, and by default his numbers, which is highly likely.

JayRedd
10-26-2008, 01:09 AM
Having 7th or 8th men making $6-7 million a season is what kills franchises.

We're aware.

CableKC
10-26-2008, 01:09 AM
Not if his minutes get cut this year, and by default his numbers, which is highly likely.
I know that $$$ would be a concern.....since he would likely be looking for the full MLE since he turned down a $5 mil a year deal....but just looking at whether he would fit into what you know what the Pacers are trying to do....do you think that he would be a good fit for the Pacers given our need for a Backup Rotational PF that can play behind Murphy/Hibbert and next to Foster in the lineup?

My current short-list of Backup Rotational Low-Post Forwards that I would like to make a run at ( even if their team can easily match ) is made up of Maxiell, Leon Powe and Channing Fye.

Kstat
10-26-2008, 02:01 AM
He'd fit in with what a lot of teams are trying to do, the Pacers included.

The only question is, who's going to pay $6-7 million a season for him?

rexnom
10-26-2008, 02:40 AM

At least one team. I guaran-sheed it.

CableKC
10-26-2008, 03:06 AM

Off the top of my head....the Bobcats.

Kstat
10-26-2008, 10:05 AM
At least one team. I guaran-sheed it.

If there is, there is. I just think whoever does is going to be really stupid.

rexnom
10-26-2008, 10:06 AM
If there is, there is. I just think whoever does is going to be really stupid.
I agree.

Kstat
10-30-2008, 05:29 PM
Looks like someone slapped some sense into him...

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20081030/SPORTS0102/810300456/1127/rss13

4 years, $20 million. Very fair.