PDA

View Full Version : Celtics waive Darius Miles

rousea24
10-20-2008, 04:59 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AtSxJ41pYw4NddfSLkZUwWG8vLYF?slug=ap-celtics-miles&prov=ap&type=lgns

I bet Portland is excited about this.

Charcoal Filtered
10-20-2008, 05:10 PM
Yes, we are happy. We were pretty sure he was not going to come back. It has been two years and he is a fraction of the player he was before the injury. If he could not make a comeback now, it is unlikely.

9M more cap space next year is a good thing.

MrSparko
10-20-2008, 05:17 PM
New thought! Darius Miles + Portland having less money for Granger >>>>> Croshere.

Trader Joe
10-20-2008, 05:23 PM
:cry:

Justin Tyme
10-20-2008, 05:27 PM
Better thought. If Portland goes after Granger as a FA, the Pacers sign Miles long enough for Portland to have to pay his salary! Paybacks are.................

Anthem
10-20-2008, 05:38 PM
Yeah, that's brutal. I was really hoping he'd make it for at least 10 games.

Hicks
10-20-2008, 05:53 PM
Can't we sign him, pick 10 games to suit him up, let him dribble the ball, call timeout, then sit his butt back down?

CableKC
10-20-2008, 06:05 PM
Can't we sign him, pick 10 games to suit him up, let him dribble the ball, call timeout, then sit his butt back down?
Seriously.......the Celtics just couldn't keep him for 10 FRAKKIN days?

The Celtics couldn't take one for the rest of the League?

Geez....:banghead:

All the more reason to work out an extension with Granger now! I guarantee that the Blazers will offer Granger something that TPTB will not want to pay.

pacerfreak
10-20-2008, 07:08 PM
You know...I really like Granger....but lets wait and see how he does this year. What if we sign him based on last year, and that is his ceiling? What then?

Shade
10-20-2008, 07:22 PM
I don't understand. What does this have to do with Portland/Granger?

Anthem
10-20-2008, 07:31 PM
I don't understand. What does this have to do with Portland/Granger?
If Darius plays 10 games then he didn't actually retire, which means Portland is suddenly on the hook for his old salary.

They don't actually pay it, but it does count against their cap. And that, in turn, means they wouldn't have the cash next summer to sign Granger.

Charcoal Filtered
10-20-2008, 07:35 PM
I doubt the Pacers would have anything to do with Miles.

First, the character issues. Miles is just a bad a risk as Tinsley.

Second, we have too many guaranteed contracts already.

Third, where do you see Miles getting minutes.

Fourth, he has to sit out ten games before playing ten games.

Add to that playing bone on bone in his knee with our running offense, it just is not going to happen.

There are going to be plenty of teams with cap room to offer Granger a very big deal. It helps that Memphis and OKC are set at SF, but Indiana has the upper hand with restricted free agency. No reason to give up our limited luxury tax space to screw a team that would be limited in negotiating with Granger.

MrSparko
10-20-2008, 07:45 PM
I'll take 10 games of 1 min Darius Miles court time over 5 years of Danny Granger in a spiffy Blazers jersey thanks very much.

Heck, I'm even willing to throw out a 35 year old Croshere too! Because I'm just that crazy.

Infinite MAN_force
10-20-2008, 07:46 PM
whatever happened to extending granger? You know it would be nice to not have to worry about this at all.

CableKC
10-20-2008, 08:12 PM

Add to that playing bone on bone in his knee with our running offense, it just is not going to happen.

There are going to be plenty of teams with cap room to offer Granger a very big deal. It helps that Memphis and OKC are set at SF, but Indiana has the upper hand with restricted free agency. No reason to give up our limited luxury tax space to screw a team that would be limited in negotiating with Granger.
Given the Blazers need for a Starting quality SF.....I am pretty sure that if Granger becomes a RFA next offseason that the Blazers will make an offer to him that will make the Pacers blink...or at the very least.....pay a lot more then they want to pay.

My hope is that TPTB makes a conserted effort to try to extend him now even if they fail.....cuz I honestly think that the Blazers will make a serious push for Granger next offseason.

count55 ( sorry, I always single you out since you seem to be the guy with the PHd in Capology ), but what does the Blazers Salarycap situation look like next season and what it the MAX contract offer that they can make for Granger?

Anthem
10-20-2008, 08:14 PM
Nobody's suggesting that the Pacers consider adding Miles to their roster.

Pacers
10-20-2008, 08:28 PM
A better question is why anyone thinks Miles would sign with us in the first place?

MrSparko
10-20-2008, 08:33 PM
Why wouldn't he?

The dude got waived, so assuming he does still want to play he's not in a position to be picky.

Charcoal Filtered
10-20-2008, 08:33 PM
Nobody's suggesting that the Pacers consider adding Miles to their roster.

Hicks did.

count55
10-20-2008, 08:37 PM
Given the Blazers need for a Starting quality SF.....I am pretty sure that if Granger becomes a RFA next offseason that the Blazers will make an offer to him that will make the Pacers blink...or at the very least.....pay a lot more then they want to pay.

My hope is that TPTB makes a conserted effort to try to extend him now even if they fail.....cuz I honestly think that the Blazers will make a serious push for Granger next offseason.

count55 ( sorry, I always single you out since you seem to be the guy with the PHd in Capology ), but what does the Blazers Salarycap situation look like next season and what it the MAX contract offer that they can make for Granger?

Portland has $27.9mm in guaranteed contacts on eight players. They also have two players with non-guaranteed contracts (Blake & Outlaw) totalling $7.6mm. Their total salary of $35.5mm would be far enough under the est $61mm cap to offer Danny a max contract, starting at just over $15.0mm.

The above does not consider capholds on the four expirings: LaFrentz, Diogu, Webster, and Frye. LaFrentz & Diogu will be renounced. Webster's caphold is $11.3mm, while Frye's is $9.5mm. They could retain the rights to either one of those individually, and still have max space. However, I would think that they'd more likely sign those guys quickly, if they wanted them, as they could probably both be signed (combined) for less than either cap hold.

They could also release the players with non-guaranteed contracts.

In summary, there are several different ways that Portland could put themselves in a position to make a max offer. While I consider it both inappropriate and exceedingly unlikely that Danny would get a max offer, it's still meaningful in that they'll basically be able to offer virtually anything the Pacers could.

Darius Miles coming back on their books would reduce their options, but not preclude them from ending up in the same situation.

Pacers
10-20-2008, 09:09 PM
Why wouldn't he?

The dude got waived, so assuming he does still want to play he's not in a position to be picky.

I'm sure he didn't pick Boston out of a hat.

Shade
10-20-2008, 09:18 PM
If Darius plays 10 games then he didn't actually retire, which means Portland is suddenly on the hook for his old salary.

They don't actually pay it, but it does count against their cap. And that, in turn, means they wouldn't have the cash next summer to sign Granger.

Ah, thanks for the clarification.

rexnom
10-20-2008, 09:19 PM
This is ridiculous. The man clearly is healthy enough to play. Portland should be both paying his salary and it should count against their cap, regardless of what happens. Why don't solve issues like this in the CBA?

count55
10-20-2008, 09:30 PM
This is ridiculous. The man clearly is healthy enough to play. Portland should be both paying his salary and it should count against their cap, regardless of what happens. Why don't solve issues like this in the CBA?

I understand the POV, but it really all depends on the wording of his contract and the agreement. It appears that he's healthy enough to pass a physical, but that doesn't necessarily mean that he's healthy enough to play. It is concievable, if not likely, that his injuries prevent him from being able to play at a high enough level to earn a roster spot in the NBA.

Anthem
10-20-2008, 09:34 PM
Hicks did.
Oh, come on. None of your objections are relevant to Hicks' proposal.

MrSparko
10-20-2008, 09:37 PM
He FAILED at Boston though.

Doddage
10-20-2008, 09:41 PM
It should be known that Boston waived him most likely because he was the only one on Boston's roster this upcoming season with an unguaranteed deal, and they had to cut someone to get to 15. I'm sure if someone, particularly Brian Scalabrine, had a similar deal, he'd be gone first.

Charcoal Filtered
10-21-2008, 02:23 AM
Oh, come on. None of your objections are relevant to Hicks' proposal.

Ok.

Charcoal Filtered
10-21-2008, 02:50 AM

I am pretty sure Granger's agent has taken this into account. Yes, the Blazers will definitely take a look at Granger next year, but they are going to be limited by the raises and number of years they can offer. Even then, the Pacers retain the right to match.

Agree that it would be far easier to just extend him now than risk getting in a bidding war. By putting 9M back on the Blazers book, you motivate Paul Allen as well as make Granger mad. I know I would be mad if my employer sabotaged their competition in order to keep my pay down.

To respond to Count, agree that even with Miles added back on the Blazers could offer a max contract. Also note that there is no need for Webster or Outlaw if Granger is signed. Batum could be the starter opening day and make both expendable. Blake would also be released if needed. With players overseas and really no need for draft picks in the near future, Portland has alot of assets to get under the cap.

Justin Tyme
10-21-2008, 09:25 AM

The point is if Portland makes a play for Granger the Pacers burn them by signing Miles thus they are on the hook for the rest of Miles contract. After the the number of games that is required for Miles to play for Portland to have to pay the rest of his contract, you cut him. It makes Portland pay for their interference. It's called playing hardball. BB is 1st and foremost a business. If you want to get involved in my business/territory, we'll make it very expensive if you do

Teams do it in a more subtle way by making it known they will match any salary of their RFA to make sure other teams won't tie up their money in an futile offer. Or in Carl Landry's case, Houston implied he had health problems to keep other teams from making an offer.

MyFavMartin
10-21-2008, 12:11 PM
Miles failed a drug test and was suspended for 10 games. He was given his chance to return to the NBA and screwed up.

Buh-bye.

Roaming Gnome
10-21-2008, 12:20 PM
I'm not going to work myself over worrying what might happen with Portlands finances. If Portland offers Granger something silly like a max contract. I'm just going to wave buh-bye.

Before anyone starts hammering on mngt. about why they havn't offered an extension to Granger.... Who's to say they havn't? Granger's agent now, also knows that Portland is in play, and probably was in play from the get go. Negotiations usually don't become public until they come to an impase.

Charcoal Filtered
10-21-2008, 12:41 PM
The point is if Portland makes a play for Granger the Pacers burn them by signing Miles thus they are on the hook for the rest of Miles contract. After the the number of games that is required for Miles to play for Portland to have to pay the rest of his contract, you cut him. It makes Portland pay for their interference. It's called playing hardball. BB is 1st and foremost a business. If you want to get involved in my business/territory, we'll make it very expensive if you do

Teams do it in a more subtle way by making it known they will match any salary of their RFA to make sure other teams won't tie up their money in an futile offer. Or in Carl Landry's case, Houston implied he had health problems to keep other teams from making an offer.

So Paul Allen is going to be scared to make a play for Granger because the Pacers would make him pay financially? Sorry, an owner that tapped his wallet and said "owe" after buying yet another first round pick in Sergio Rodriguez is not going to care. Cap space is what the Blazers were after with getting Miles off the books. Doing something like this next year accomplishes nothing, costs the Pacers money to do it, and stands the chance of being declared invalid by David Stern.

For your second point, if Granger is the Blazers target, waiting 7 days is not going to be a deterrent.

Justin Tyme
10-21-2008, 01:48 PM
[QUOTE=Charcoal Filtered;794067]So Paul Allen is going to be scared to make a play for Granger because the Pacers would make him pay financially? Sorry, an owner that tapped his wallet and said "owe" after buying yet another first round pick in Sergio Rodriguez is not going to care. Cap space is what the Blazers were after with getting Miles off the books. Doing something like this next year accomplishes nothing, costs the Pacers money to do it, and stands the chance of being declared invalid by David Stern.

For your second point, if Granger is the Blazers target, waiting 7 days is not going to be a deterrent.[/QUOTE

So Paul Allen is willing to pay an extra 18 mil for Granger! For that kind of money, 18 mil plus whatever they sign Granger for, they could get Marion!

Buying a draft pick is not that big of a deal. Whoopee, 3 mil dollars. So just what has Rodriquez accomplished for Allen for buying that pick?

It costs the Pacers very little money if they'd do it. The Pacers lost their SF and decided to take a low risk high reward gamble on Miles. Boston took a gamble on him, and Miami is taking a gamble on Livingston.

Oneal07
10-21-2008, 11:53 PM
Granger is staying in Indiana

rexnom
10-21-2008, 11:59 PM
Make no mistake, if it takes a max contract to get Granger, the Blazers will offer it to him. Why wouldn't they? Who cares about being tens of millions over the cap when you're trotting out a lineup of anybody-Roy-Granger-Aldridge-Oden for the next decade or so?

Dece
10-22-2008, 12:05 AM
No one is going to offer Granger the max... why would you offer Granger the max when you could get Marion for the max? I'm sure there are numerous other players you can fill in for Marion's name, point is, Granger isn't anywhere near a max player.

MyFavMartin
10-22-2008, 05:49 PM
Make no mistake, if it takes a max contract to get Granger, the Blazers will offer it to him. Why wouldn't they? Who cares about being tens of millions over the cap when you're trotting out a lineup of anybody-Roy-Granger-Aldridge-Oden for the next decade or so?

What happens when Roy and Aldridge are up for new contracts the following year and Oden the year after that?

Pacers
10-23-2008, 04:20 PM
Couldn't the Blazers sign Miles and just not play him?

count55
10-23-2008, 04:33 PM
I would think that Portland re-signing Miles (if it could even be done legally) would kick in the contract. The CBA has a general prohibition stating that teams should not do anything to circumvent or defeat the intent of the agreement. If Portland were to do this, it would clearly be with the intent of preventing Miles from signing elsewhere, thereby they'd be trying to avoid having his salary on the books. I would think the NBA would invoke this general prohibition and reinstate Miles' salary.

However, I don't think anyone is going to sign Miles for the sole purpose of sticking Portland with his contract. It would be pretty pointless and bush league, and teams in this league have a long memory.

If Portland wants to offer Danny a max contract, they'll be able to put themselves in a position to do that regardless of the Miles situation. I don't think Danny is worth a max contract, and I don't think Portland will offer a max contract. However, if they did, then Danny will be a Blazer. It would be foolish to match such an offer.

rexnom
10-23-2008, 05:01 PM
What happens when Roy and Aldridge are up for new contracts the following year and Oden the year after that?
Portland just goes over the tax to re-sign them. What does it matter to them?

If Portland wants to offer Danny a max contract, they'll be able to put themselves in a position to do that regardless of the Miles situation. I don't think Danny is worth a max contract, and I don't think Portland will offer a max contract. However, if they did, then Danny will be a Blazer. It would be foolish to match such an offer.
Why would Portland not overpay to get Danny? Even if it takes near-max or max. They basically have unlimited pockets and it's not like Danny isn't good. In fact, he may fit in pretty nicely into what they've got going over there.

MyFavMartin
10-23-2008, 05:09 PM
Portland offers a max contract. Pacers could still match since he's a restricted FA.

Current guarantees for next year ~ 45-46 mil. I'm assuming Daniels option isn't picked up and Diener doesn't exercise his option.

Would still have space to sign Danny and Jack and stay under the lux tax, right?

Of course, if we move Tinsley for some expirings, that gives even more space to stay under the cap.

Raoul Duke
10-23-2008, 05:40 PM
The Blazers will make a run at Granger next year. They really want him.

Pacers
10-23-2008, 06:32 PM
Does he really want to be there, though?

count55
10-23-2008, 06:36 PM
Portland just goes over the tax to re-sign them. What does it matter to them?

Why would Portland not overpay to get Danny? Even if it takes near-max or max. They basically have unlimited pockets and it's not like Danny isn't good. In fact, he may fit in pretty nicely into what they've got going over there.

Well, basically Portland has a well-earned reputation for being smartly run and making smart decisions. Offering Danny the max is an inherently stupid decision. Yes, they have unlimited money, but the owner has that because he hasn't made it a practice of piling it in the middle of the floor and setting fire to it.

A max offer to Danny would likely be $4-5 million in starting salary higher than anyone else in the league will offer. Plus, it basically guarantees that they'd have to max out Roy and Oden when they came due, at the least. Danny will likely be somewhere between the third and the fifth best player on the team. It has the opportunity of creating a really screwy dynamic.

There is the real possibility that Portland will be able to outbid us for Danny, but I seriously doubt that it would be at the max. However, as you believe, that Portland will go all out for Danny, then we should sit back and enjoy Danny's final year as a Pacer.

Doddage
10-23-2008, 06:43 PM
But if Portland ends up offering him the max, we'll match the offer regardless of if it's the right thing to do. That's at least the indication that the FO has given.

If we decide he's not worth a big time salary, then we should just go ahead and see what we can get for him by the trade deadline. Better to lose arguably our best player for a nice package of talent and picks (by maybe tacking on a big contract like Murph or Tins?) than to lose him for nothing.

Justin Tyme
10-26-2008, 04:08 PM
I would think that Portland re-signing Miles (if it could even be done legally) would kick in the contract. The CBA has a general prohibition stating that teams should not do anything to circumvent or defeat the intent of the agreement. If Portland were to do this, it would clearly be with the intent of preventing Miles from signing elsewhere, thereby they'd be trying to avoid having his salary on the books. I would think the NBA would invoke this general prohibition and reinstate Miles' salary.

However, I don't think anyone is going to sign Miles for the sole purpose of sticking Portland with his contract. It would be pretty pointless and bush league, and teams in this league have a long memory.

In today's Hoopshype, it is reported Portland is making negative discouaging remarks whenever possible about Miles. It looks as if they are trying to sabatoge Miles career so that no one will sign him. They would be back on the hook for 18 mil in salary if he plays 10 games between this season and next. I have lost a huge amount of respect for Portland organization for this. Trying to blackball Miles' career is just a little more than being "bush league"! Where's the players union and Stern?

Pacers
10-26-2008, 04:27 PM
You lost a lot of respect for an organization based on an internet rumor?

xtacy
10-26-2008, 04:55 PM
In today's Hoopshype, it is reported Portland is making negative discouaging remarks whenever possible about Miles. It looks as if they are trying to sabatoge Miles career so that no one will sign him. They would be back on the hook for 18 mil in salary if he plays 10 games between this season and next. I have lost a huge amount of respect for Portland organization for this. Trying to blackball Miles' career is just a little more than being "bush league"! Where's the players union and Stern?

i don't think it's true no team in the nba would dare to do that.

Justin Tyme
10-26-2008, 05:35 PM
i don't think it's true no team in the nba would dare to do that.

Right!

And the Rockets didn't insinuate that Landry had a knee problem either in order that no other team would make him an offer. Yet, they signed that same player for 3 years.

GO!!!!!
10-26-2008, 05:49 PM
I think some people think the NBA or Basketball Players are different people, " Special People as it were"

If say team A called Portland to ask what they knew about Miles, they could say what ever they wanted too and most likely would get away with it, it’s not like they have made a press statement defaming Miles.

And likewise you’d be a stupid GM if you called Portland and took their words as gospel as they have a vested interest in what they are telling you..

18 Million bucks is still money no matter how rich you are...

When ever i have moved jobs I have never added my current employer as reference because of just that, vested interest and I don’t know what they could say or why they would say anything.. (Not that I have ever had a problem with my employment, I just like new challenges and more money..)

It’s all hearsay but i think it’s possible and I’m sure there is a precedent for this sort of rumour..

Pacers
10-26-2008, 05:54 PM
Because no player with a knee problem has received a contract.

Justin Tyme
10-26-2008, 05:59 PM
You lost a lot of respect for an organization based on an internet rumor?

It was reported in the Boston Globe where Hoopshype picked it up! Are you saying the Globe reported incorrect/made up info from NBA GM's or the Globe is just spreading rumors?

JayRedd
10-26-2008, 06:12 PM
Tom Ziller's take.

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2008/10/26/report-blazers-em-still-em-badmouthing-darius-miles/

Justin Tyme
10-26-2008, 06:28 PM
Because no player with a knee problem has received a contract.

And they couldn't find another player w/o a knee problem to sign, so they benevently decided to give a Landry a 3 year 9-10 mil contract out of the goodness of their heart. Yeah, right!

Pacers
10-26-2008, 07:39 PM
Just because he had a knee problem, it doesn't mean they didn't like him...

MyFavMartin
10-26-2008, 10:38 PM
Yeah, and you really believe that Darius Miles is problem free?

Those who don't learn from history....

imawhat
10-26-2008, 10:51 PM
Tom Ziller's take.

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2008/10/26/report-blazers-em-still-em-badmouthing-darius-miles/

The anonymous GM "talks" like Bird.

Charcoal Filtered
10-26-2008, 11:23 PM
Three or four years ago, I got to have lunch at the Blazers practice facility with Darnell Valentine. Darnell got a pretty good job with the team just trying to keep these guys from making the newspapers. He is a great guy and have never heard anyone say something bad about him. His biggest complaint was trying to keep Darius motivated to play. He said if he got up to 40%, it would be a huge victory. Darnell was let go not too long after that when management figured out it was easier to get rid of the bad apples than to salvage them.

I am sure teams know that the Blazers have a big incentive for Darius not to play. For teams thinking Portland is wrong for just relaying the experience we had with this guy, they are free to sign him. It is over two years since this guy was injured and people talk like it was recently that he got hurt. IMO, he is the player now that he will be in six months or even two years. If you can use a player of his skill set, feel free to sign him.

Anthem
10-26-2008, 11:26 PM
And the Rockets didn't insinuate that Landry had a knee problem either in order that no other team would make him an offer. Yet, they signed that same player for 3 years.
They didn't keep teams from making offers, because several teams did so. What they did was keep the asking price low, so they could match.

rexnom
10-26-2008, 11:29 PM
Maybe I'm biased because I think it'll affect how they approach next summer, but I think the Blazers are being dicks with the Darius Miles situation. They're trying to cheat themselves out of a contract, basically.

Justin Tyme
10-27-2008, 10:58 AM
[QUOTE=Anthem;796246]They didn't keep teams from making offers, because several teams did so. /QUOTE]

Due to my wanting the Pacers to have gotten Landry, I read everything I could find about the situation as it went along. I never saw anything where any team offered Landry a contract. Do you have a link to who offered Landry a contract? I'd be real interested in seeing what team/teams had an interest in Landry to offer him a contract.

If Landry has a good 2nd season this year, I'd love to see the Pacers make a trade for him next year. Very reasonable contract at 3 mil a year.

Justin Tyme
10-27-2008, 11:01 AM
Maybe I'm biased because I think it'll affect how they approach next summer, but I think the Blazers are being dicks with the Darius Miles situation. They're trying to cheat themselves out of a contract, basically.

That's pretty much how I see it too.

count55
10-27-2008, 11:55 AM

Of course, this is a guy who's been paid $16.0mm over the last two seasons and not played a single game.

Keep in mind that the Blazers are still paying the remainder of his salary for him to not play for the next two seasons, according to this report:

http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/index.ssf/2008/07/darius_miles_faces_10game_susp.html

(I do not know what, if any portion would be reimbursed by insurance, nor do I understand why it says $27mm instead of the $18mm that keeps getting thrown around.)

The Blazers sought an independent Doctor to certify that this was a career ending injury. In April, a doctor appointed by the NBA determined that the damage was severe enough for a career ending injury.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3549061

People keep talking about "badmouthing" Miles, but there's no attributable quote that is ever cited, nor is there any description of what was said. What if the Blazers said the following?

"During his time with us, Darius missed 225 out of a possible 370 games. Both our doctors and a doctor appointed by the NBA say that his knee injury is career ending, and we do not believe he'll be able to play again. During his time here, he was suspended for insubordination and contract detrimental to the team on one occassion. The League announced this summer that Darius would be subject to a 10-game suspension for violation of the league Drug policy."

Would that be considered "badmouthing" him?

Does Portland have a vested interest in him not playing again? Of course. At least their motivation is transparent. Who are these unnamed GM's, and why do they care?

So, the Blazers followed the rules, and Miles is still getting his money. The only thing in question whether it will hit their cap or not. As long as they're telling the truth (which, to this point, it's not been demonstrated otherwise), how can you blame them for actively trying to keep from getting burned further by this guy?

count55
10-27-2008, 12:00 PM
Correction...I'm not entirely sure the Blazers could've/should've disclosed the current suspension. There's something henky about it, in that it was never supposed to become public. However, it is my understanding that the league did e-mail all 30 teams about it.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-33-34/Darius-Miles-and-that-Drug-Test.html

Anthem
10-27-2008, 02:51 PM
Due to my wanting the Pacers to have gotten Landry, I read everything I could find about the situation as it went along. I never saw anything where any team offered Landry a contract. Do you have a link to who offered Landry a contract? I'd be real interested in seeing what team/teams had an interest in Landry to offer him a contract.
I have no idea how many teams made offers, but the Rockets got Landry by matching the Bobcats' offer. Landry was a RFA, so even though he signed with the Cats he's still a Rocket.

count55
10-27-2008, 03:20 PM
I have no idea how many teams made offers, but the Rockets got Landry by matching the Bobcats' offer. Landry was a RFA, so even though he signed with the Cats he's still a Rocket.

I could swear that the Pacers and at least one or two other teams were said to "be preparing offers" when Landry signed Charlotte's offer sheet, but none of the articles I could find mention it.

As I recall, Houston had a standing offer to Landry, which he did not accept, opting instead to test the market...the Charlotte offer was better, but I'm not sure by how much.

Justin Tyme
10-27-2008, 04:43 PM

How in the HELP, did I forget that! Brain fart. Thanx for reminding me of my forgetfulness.

McKeyFan
10-28-2008, 01:43 PM
Yes, they have unlimited money, but the owner has that because he hasn't made it a practice of piling it in the middle of the floor and setting fire to it.

Yer probably right.

However, I was once told that if Bill Gates was driving down the highway and saw a chest full of $250,000 in cash dumped over the side of the road, it would not be worth his time to stop and pick it up and put it in his car.

If that's how rich the Microsoft boys are, I'm not sure they are capable of blowing it at this point.

McKeyFan
10-28-2008, 01:51 PM
If playing Miles ten more games will cost Portland $18 million, why don't we pick him up, threaten to play him a few minutes a game, until Portland sends us somebody helpful, maybe even a pf, for around $9 or $10 million?

We'd be saving them several million dollars.

:D

Anthem
10-28-2008, 03:15 PM
We'd be saving them several million dollars.
"Saving?"

I guess so, just paying a guy named Guido protection money is "saving" you from whatever it is he'd have done if you didn't pay up.

But that doesn't mean people actually like protection rackets.