PDA

View Full Version : who should start.....roy or rasho

gknjr007
10-18-2008, 10:18 AM
After seeing how well both played in the preseason, who should get the nod for our starting Center spot?

Shade
10-18-2008, 10:23 AM
Rasho, but I wouldn't be shocked to see Hibbert start by season's end if he continues to develop at this rate. This is NOT the same player I saw at Georgetown. His transformation has been simply incredible so far.

Anthem
10-18-2008, 10:32 AM
I saw that Shade posted and I figured he closed this thread and pointed to the other one.

Since we're apparently going with it, I'd say Rasho, with the caveat that I want Hibby to get plenty of minutes behind him and I'd love for him to take the role by the end of the season.

Hicks
10-18-2008, 10:34 AM
It will probably be better for Roy to be the backup until further notice. If he starts looking good when he crosses paths with starters on other teams, then it's time to look at it.

MillerTime
10-18-2008, 10:47 AM
Rasho will most likely start, but I hope after the All Star Break, Hibbert starts.

Am I wrong, but Hibbert kind of reminds of me Horford. Do you guys see a comparison or am I off?

Justin Tyme
10-18-2008, 11:07 AM
I'd say Rasho, with the caveat that I want Hibby to get plenty of minutes behind him and I'd love for him to take the role by the end of the season.

Ditto

Gamble1
10-18-2008, 11:38 AM
Rasho, but I wouldn't be shocked to see Hibbert start by season's end if he continues to develop at this rate. This is NOT the same player I saw at Georgetown. His transformation has been simply incredible so far.

Well we are paying alot for Rasho and if HIbb is our future long term center we should limit his miles before a microfracture surgery is needed.

More importantly we will get to the playoffs no matter who starts and it appears Hibb is learning faster than any of us could have predicted.

Anthem
10-18-2008, 11:41 AM
It didn't hurt Reggie to spend a year under Chuck. It won't hurt Hibbert to spend a year under Rasho.

count55
10-18-2008, 11:48 AM
It didn't hurt Reggie to spend a year under Chuck. It won't hurt Hibbert to spend a year under Rasho.

'cept Reggie spent that year under John Long, not Chuck.

Point's still valid, though.

Kamiyohk
10-18-2008, 12:09 PM
Roy or Rasho start doesn't matter, how about each of them play 2x mins?

duke dynamite
10-18-2008, 12:12 PM
Rasho, no question.

BillS
10-18-2008, 12:52 PM
I like what I'm seeing from Hibbert but I think Rasho still has the starter's chops. If nothing else, Hibbert is still making some rookie mistakes (he got the chair pulled out from him to force a travel last night, for instance), and it's better he get the time to make those out of the spotlight.

I would not, however, object if Roy got more minutes than Rasho.

imawhat
10-18-2008, 01:14 PM
Deep down I want chicken parm to start, but I don't think he's ready.

I think it's possible to harm a player's career by starting them too early (see Erick Dampier), but I understand the argument for letting someone develop through playing time.

I don't think Roy is as far along as he looks in the preseason. His numbers have been great, but he's behind (imo) where Danny was 3 years ago, and Danny took a while to develop.

maragin
10-18-2008, 01:47 PM
Rasho, and trust JOB to know when the time is right to switch.

jeffg-body
10-18-2008, 02:22 PM
Definitely Rasho. I know Roy has played well in preseason, but he has to understand what it means to play the whole 82 games. Maybe after the ASB if he is still putting up these numbers. A good 15-20 mins a night would be good to get the playing experience factor down.

:cheers:

Pacemaker
10-18-2008, 02:47 PM
It will probably be better for Roy to be the backup until further notice. If he starts looking good when he crosses paths with starters on other teams, then it's time to look at it.

Agreed.

KennerLeaguer
10-18-2008, 03:16 PM

It is the same player in most respects. Its just a shame I'm too stupid to be able to put all those Gtown highlights up on YouTube. Trust me I wouldn't have come around here talking him up if he was just Ruben Boumtje Boumtje. There are some amazing playes by him over his four years at Gtown. Stuff that made the announcers blurt out that Ewing, Mourning and Mutombo did not and could not do what Roy had just done in front of them.

Of course now that Roy is no longer in school he has the chance to concentrate 100% on athletics and conditioning. The difference is a noticeable improvement in quickness. But he was never as slow or as unathletic as people made him out to be. And he always had a high skill level and some good moves.

Gotta go with Rasho as the starter. Most rookies, even good ones, need time before they are ready to start.

Phildog
10-18-2008, 04:26 PM
Plus the center position usually takes awhile to get used to in the NBA for rooks. That position can get abused in the NBA from the other team, so Rash should start and Hibby gets focused on when comes in with the 2nd team until such a time that we are a legit team, and then we can rethink that.

Naptown_Seth
10-18-2008, 04:30 PM
'cept Reggie spent that year under John Long, not Chuck.

Point's still valid, though.
Yes, and agree. Fans need to maintain real expectations and timelines. I'm hearing playoff talk and not the 35 wins back into them kind. I'll admit anything can happen, but what seems likely to happen is yet another 30-35 win rebuild year.

This is the first really forward step to the next phase, though I'd be willing to count the Granger pick as the first baby step. Let's look for Roy and Rush to be making a big impact mid-year 3 which would place Granger as the core star and perhaps TJ as the vet presence ala Jax back in the day with Rush as McKey and Hibbert as Rik, roughly of course and in terms of general roles and dynamics.

In the meantime it should be about smart development, quality ball and getting fans interested in seeing this type of growth rather than promising big wins.

deekay85
10-18-2008, 05:40 PM
Rasho.
Preseason isn't the real season of 82 games.
Roy did well in the PS so far. But he is just a rookie.

Pacerized
10-18-2008, 07:06 PM
Considering what a defensive liability that Murphy is I'd rather have Foster start at center. He's a better defender then Rasho is. I have been impressed with Hibbert thus far but I don't see him as a starter this year.

GO!!!!!
10-19-2008, 06:01 PM
Rasho, A Vet who shoulden't get called or commit any ticky tacky fouls that disrupts the early season 11-3 win streak...

Quis
10-19-2008, 07:49 PM
I don't think it matters that much. Either way, I see Roy getting 15-25 minutes a game. With his penchant for foul trouble, it's probably better to bring him off the bench as to keep him from piling up the fouls early. Not to mention you don't want to give him too much, too soon. We don't wanna risk complacency.

Unclebuck
10-20-2008, 10:21 AM
Until I see Roy play a regular season game I am not going to make any judgments other than he has looked good in preseason. But the list is long of players who "looked good in the preseason" and then never were even decent in the regular season.

I compare it to like going from the regular season to the playoffs - the games are vastly different and a lot of players through the years were good regular seasomn players but struggle in the playoffs.

ChicagoJ
10-20-2008, 10:30 AM
As much as I've harped on this general topic, we all know Rasho is an expiring contract one-year rental.

As the season progresses, his minutes need to decrease substantially. I'm much less worried about getting Roy into the rotation and starting lineup than Rush. This team is not going to be very good this year, and Hibbert will be next season's starter. This situation will take care of itself.

Might as well start preparing for it from day one with the idea that, after the trading deadline and the team has even fewer veterans and more draft picks, Roy becomes the starter.

pwee31
10-20-2008, 10:41 AM
Rasho
More experience

You wanna bring Hibbert along at a slower pace. Give him a chance to get a feeling on the regular season

Hicks
10-20-2008, 11:03 AM
As much as I've harped on this general topic, we all know Rasho is an expiring contract one-year rental.

As the season progresses, his minutes need to decrease substantially. I'm much less worried about getting Roy into the rotation and starting lineup than Rush. This team is not going to be very good this year, and Hibbert will be next season's starter. This situation will take care of itself.

Might as well start preparing for it from day one with the idea that, after the trading deadline and the team has even fewer veterans and more draft picks, Roy becomes the starter.

I just want to know something. If this team wins 41+ games, will you admit they're not that bad?

ChicagoJ
10-20-2008, 11:27 AM
Sure, but I'm not worried about it happening.

There are two ways that can happen - we trade our youth for guys that can help improve this team to 0.500 right now, which is a recipe for disaster, or that Rush and Hibbert are way ahead of schedule. Even in preseason, the reason we've won games is because of quality play from Granger, Rush, and Hibbert.

And the idea of trading Rush and Hibbert for veterans than can improve our starting lineup is crazy.

A lineup of:

Ford
Dunleavy
Granger
Murphy
Rasho

being backed up by Jack, Daniels, Foster and Croshere isn't going to win 35 games. Granger can't win that many games by himself.

If they get to 41+, its because Hibbert and Rush are ahead of schedule.