PDA

View Full Version : T-MAC wants to leave

SpADeD
06-18-2004, 07:21 PM
I don't know if this was posted anywhere but here's the article from today. Tracy was supposed to tell the GM today whether or not he wanted to stay.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/basketball/magic/orl-bk-tmac061804,1,5516649.story?coll=orl-magic

Sources: T-Mac wants to leave

Sentinel staff report
Posted June 18, 2004, 6:51 PM EDT

Email this story to a friend
Printer friendly version

PHOTOS

A breakup? (ASSOCIATED PRESS)
Jun 3, 2004

Tracy McGrady is leaving the Orlando Magic.

League sources told the Sentinel that McGrady informed the team Friday that he doesn't want to re-sign with it when he becomes a free agent next year. It means the Magic will trade him rather than let him walk away at the end of his contract with no compensation.

General Manager John Weisbrod initiated this showdown with McGrady. He had pressured McGrady, privately and publicly, to make a decision about his future. From all indications, McGrady had begun expressing a desire to flee sometime before Weisbrod made his April proclamation that he would not go into next season with an "I don't know" from McGrady about his plans.

The relationship between the franchise and its star player worsened over the course of a 21-61 season. The Magic grew frustrated with some of McGrady's traits, including his tendency to rip his teammates publicly, his so-so practice habits and his lack of desire to lead the team.

Ultimately, however, this split may have come down to the team's direction. As a result of their horrible season, the Magic earned the No. 1 pick in Thursday night's draft. McGrady has said he wanted the team to trade the pick for veteran players, which might have helped the Magic turn around more quickly. The Magic want to keep the pick and rebuild slower and sturdier.

Magic owner Rich DeVos met with McGrady on Friday to gauge the player's intentions. He learned what he has heard is true: McGrady would like to try his luck elsewhere.

McGrady, who turned 25 last month, had said he felt he would have no choice but to leave if he didn't think the Magic could make a quick improvement.

Various player agents say the Magic's asking price for T-Mac will be exceptionally high and will focus on two or three teams that could deliver a package of players.

Candidates include the Indiana Pacers, Houston Rockets and Phoenix Suns - all teams with one outstanding young big man. They reportedly have expressed interest in adding McGrady.

According to one source, the Magic have asked the Pacers for as many as four players - Ron Artest, Al Harrington, Jamaal Tinsley and Jonathan Bender - in exchange for McGrady. To make it fit under salary-cap rules, the Magic would have to send at least one other player, likely Juwan Howard.

Donnie Walsh, the Pacers' team president and chief executive officer, told the Indianapolis Star that only star forward Jermaine O'Neal was untouchable.

McGrady signed with the Magic as a free agent in the summer of 2000. He received a seven-year, $93 million contact, with a clause that allowed him to opt out of the contract after the 2004-05 season.

He was expected to be the secondary star on the team behind former All-Star Grant Hill, another free agent signed in 2000. Together they were supposed to be the tandem that would carry the Magic back to the top tier of NBA teams, a designation Orlando lost when Shaquille O'Neal departed as a free agent in the summer of 1996.

Hill's troublesome ankle and inability to play more than a handful of games scuttled those plans but resulted in McGrady emerging as one of the top players in the league.

McGrady won the NBA's scoring title the past two seasons, and was a first-team selection to the All-NBA team in 2002 and 2003.

Suaveness
06-18-2004, 07:24 PM
Surprise surprise. :rolleyes:

MSA2CF
06-18-2004, 07:26 PM
I'd want to leave the Magic too.

Ragnar
06-18-2004, 07:31 PM
You know in negotiation they always start high. If we can send them Al/Bender/Pollard/AJ (they need a pg in a bad way) and Kenny in a sign and trade. Heck send them PB. That would work for T-Mac and Howard and it would be better than anyone could offer.

But if they stick on Ron AND Al and Bender AND Tinsley they can suck an egg.

Suaveness
06-18-2004, 07:32 PM
You know in negotiation they always start high. If we can send them Al/Bender/Pollard/AJ (they need a pg in a bad way) and Kenny in a sign and trade. Heck send them PB. That would work for T-Mac and Howard and it would be better than anyone could offer.

YES YES!! GREAT IDEA!! Ragnar, you are a genius :idea:

SpADeD
06-18-2004, 07:40 PM

I agree.

JOneal7
06-18-2004, 08:05 PM
MAN! For some reason i'm really sicvk to my stomach...why do i think he heads to the trockets instead of us :(

Anthem
06-18-2004, 08:50 PM
MAN! For some reason i'm really sicvk to my stomach...why do i think he heads to the trockets instead of us :(

If so, then we move on to the other object of Pacer affection: Ray Allen.

Hopefully, though, we hit pay dirt before we end up with Wally S.

sweabs
06-18-2004, 08:52 PM
He isn't going to head to the Rockets - VanGundy won't take that at all.

If we are giving up Al, Ron, Tinsley and Bender all in this deal we are getting RIPPED off. If I were Larry I would instantly laugh in their face for suggesting such a thing and turn the other way.

All this T-Mac talk is making me nervous - I just hope we don't make any mistake after such a successful season.

kerosene
06-18-2004, 08:52 PM
If so, then we move on to the other object of Pacer affection: Ray Allen.

Hopefully, though, we hit pay dirt before we end up with Wally S.

I read this week that Allen was working on an extension in Seattle and both sides want to keep that relationship. Danny Ainge is ripe for the picking however.

Chambizzle
06-18-2004, 09:37 PM
Maybe work out a 3 way deal with Indiana, Orlando, and Washington.

And work it to someway where Orlando gets Hughes... so we don't have to give up so many players.

Terrymo
06-18-2004, 09:50 PM
Fox Sports had Peter Vescey on tonight and he said the Pacers offered Bender, Harrington, and Foster for McGrady, but Mcgrady wants to go to the Rockets. Personally, we had to be nuts to offer Foster too. :(

Chambizzle
06-18-2004, 09:51 PM
Well if that is true.

I think we're looking to get more help at the center spot.

Terrymo
06-18-2004, 09:54 PM
More help? Without Foster, we have no help at all! :cry:

Hicks
06-18-2004, 09:59 PM
Why the hell would McGrady want to go to the Rockets? And do the Rockets really want him?

kerosene
06-18-2004, 10:00 PM
Why the hell would McGrady want to go to the Rockets? And do the Rockets really want him?

Yao.

Hicks
06-18-2004, 10:01 PM

Yao.

But is that really better than coming to JO, who just came off an MVP-like year and winning 61 games? We HAVE to look more attractive, I would think. Besides, he's already friends with JO anyway, and that should only help.

So I guess my question isn't really why Houston, but why Houston over us?

kerosene
06-18-2004, 10:02 PM
Weather? It could be lots of things besides basketball.

Ragnar
06-18-2004, 10:03 PM
Not Foster!!!!!!!!!! man we need his hustle and rebounding!! Sure it would be nice if he could shoot but already dumped that guy.

Man I hope we can get him just not for too much. I cant believe the Magic would be stupid enough to trade him for Steve Francis. Maybe they are but I hope they realize that he is just Iverson without the heart or the basketball IQ.

kerosene
06-18-2004, 10:04 PM
Man I hope we can get him just not for too much. I cant believe the Magic would be stupid enough to trade him for Steve Francis. Maybe they are but I hope they realize that he is just Iverson without the heart or the basketball IQ.

Wouldn't Francis love that? After the crap he pulled to get to Houston then to get shipped off to basketball Siberia.

Hicks
06-18-2004, 10:04 PM
Anthem, I'd like to think regarding Foster being offered that

a) It means Vescey's making it up or got it wrong

or

b) We know we're getting another C

Because I think it's flat out INSANE to trade Jeff unless you absolutely KNOW you're getting a new center. That's just crazy.

kerosene
06-18-2004, 10:05 PM
I think it would be B ~or~ Foster is a key part of the deal. Vescey does have his Donnie hotline remember?

Hicks
06-18-2004, 10:07 PM
I think it would be B ~or~ Foster is a key part of the deal. Vescey does have his Donnie hotline remember?

Yeah I thought about that too (Donnie and Vescey). But we damn well better be getting a good C back, or this is a mistake IMO.

kerosene
06-18-2004, 10:11 PM
Since Kobe opted out today...

Think the Pacers would discuss a S&T for him?

Hoop
06-18-2004, 10:16 PM
The only way Foster is traded is if we already know we are going to sign Blount or Damp via free agency.

Aw Heck
06-18-2004, 10:22 PM
Anybody know what Houston's cap situation is like? Obviously by trading Francis, they would need to sign a new PG, but depending on how much capspace they have, who could they get? I don't think they could get anybody that good.

Why would T-Mac go to that situation? Hmm. If the Houston deal ends up going down, I'm guessing this is their starting 5:

Yao
Taylor
Jackson
McGrady
?????

I would hate to see the Houston deal go down. But, as an Indiana sports fan, I'm used to disappointment. :cry:

kerosene
06-18-2004, 10:25 PM
The only way Foster is traded is if we already know we are going to sign Blount or Damp via free agency.

Since Blount and Damp are both presumably "free" that would require one of them to commit to the mid-level which the Pacers never spend in the first place and in the second place they're not going to play the field which seems unlikely. Unless a S&T is in the works but who do you give up at that point if Harrington, Bender, and Foster are already gone? Artest for a center and play McGrady at the 3 and Miller/Jones again at the 2?

zxc
06-18-2004, 10:33 PM
Foster had a solid year, but he was just a 24 minute per game guy and was pretty useless vs Detroit. If including him lets us keep Artest(or Al) and Tinsley and still get the deal done I'm all for it. I think he can be replaced easily enough, not like he is an all star or anything.

blanket
06-18-2004, 10:43 PM

There are a few reasonable-quality centers made available to Charlotte - mabe the Pacers negotiated a deal where Charlotte will draft one of them and trade to us for some compensation (like our college draft pick). Someone like Brian Skinner would be worth getting.

Unclebuck
06-18-2004, 11:36 PM
I have read this thread three times and I just watched Vescey on Fox Sports, and he did say what was reported in this thread.

Would I trade Foster, Al and Jon for McGrady. I don't know, as others have mentioned it depends on what else the Pacers might have going for a center. (I can't believe all these changes for a 61 win team)

let me see how about a lineup of

Blount
O'Neal
McGrady
Artest
Tinsley.

That looks damn good to me, but I don't think Artest can co-exist with J.O and McGrady, unless Ron changes his offensive approach, but if he would or could, we are looking good.

If the magic can get Jeff, Al and Jon, and they decide to trade for Francis instead that are more stupid than the Celts and Hawks. The Magic would be in another year or twwo very good and I fear what Bender would become

Tom White
06-18-2004, 11:53 PM
...and I fear what Bender would become

You got to be kidding. After 5 years we should all know by now.

Bender = Bambi

Tom White
06-18-2004, 11:58 PM
Foster had a solid year, but he was just a 24 minute per game guy and was pretty useless vs Detroit.

Thanks to RC's and LB's infatuation with Croshere, Foster really never got a chance against Detroit. Cro had one good game in that series (much like 2000 vs. the Lakers) then did his usual 0-7 and 2-7 show, but Foster did not get a real chance.

Hoop
06-19-2004, 12:04 AM

Bender = Bambi

The same could be said about JO after a few years too, now he's 3rd in MVP voting. Bender is still the youngest guy on the team, younger than Freddie and James Jones even.

Steveman
06-19-2004, 12:04 AM

Bender = Bambi

Nah, I disagree. After seeing him in this years playoffs I'm prepared to say that when he gets 24+ minutes a game he will have a breakout year, in other words, he is ready now.

zxc
06-19-2004, 12:05 AM
Foster had a solid year, but he was just a 24 minute per game guy and was pretty useless vs Detroit.

Thanks to RC's and LB's infatuation with Croshere, Foster really never got a chance against Detroit. Cro had one good game in that series (much like 2000 vs. the Lakers) then did his usual 0-7 and 2-7 show, but Foster did not get a real chance.

Hmm? The first three games weren't a chance? Croshere only started getting more minutes and got into the starting lineup because Foster had been so ineffective.

Unclebuck
06-19-2004, 12:14 AM

Bender = Bambi

Mark my words he is going tobe a very , very good player somewhere, very , very soon

JOneal7
06-19-2004, 12:24 AM
lol peter vescey is 99% NEVER RIGHT...lol he's such a joke. So if he says t-macs going to the rockets, i think t-macs coming here! LOL

Shade
06-19-2004, 12:30 AM
I would MUCH rather trade Al than Jeff.

Suaveness
06-19-2004, 12:31 AM
I would MUCH rather trade Al than Jeff.

Very few hustle players like Jeff around. We need him.

Anthem
06-19-2004, 02:14 AM

Since Blount and Damp are both presumably "free" that would require one of them to commit to the mid-level which the Pacers never spend in the first place and in the second place they're not going to play the field which seems unlikely. Unless a S&T is in the works but who do you give up at that point if Harrington, Bender, and Foster are already gone? Artest for a center and play McGrady at the 3 and Miller/Jones again at the 2?

Sign-n-trade with Croshere is a piece of cake. Ainge and Red both like Cro, and Red says he'd be a starter for the Celtics. Probably at center.

kerosene
06-19-2004, 02:16 AM
If we could trade Cro for Blount I would do it in an instant. But still, wouldn't he want to play the field first?