PDA

View Full Version : Outstanding Roy Hibbert Stats

granger33
10-17-2008, 01:53 AM
I found these stats incredible. I know its only pre-season but just watching him, I can just tell he is going to be a man beast.

Defiently the next Ewing/Bynum.

"Rookie center Roy Hibbert has totaled 32 points, 14 rebounds and five blocks in 45 minutes in the last two games" :happydanc

Hicks
10-17-2008, 02:00 AM
Can we all please calm down. I'm as high on Hibbert as anybody, but please, let's stop with the "He's the next ______!!!" stuff.

Robertmto
10-17-2008, 02:25 AM
lmao..

duke dynamite
10-17-2008, 02:36 AM
Can we all please calm down. I'm as high on Hibbert as anybody, but please, let's stop with the "He's the next ______!!!" stuff.
lmao

Midcoasted
10-17-2008, 02:47 AM
He is the real deal. I was saying months ago our frontcourt is looking pretty good with Rasho, Hibbert, Foster, Murphy, and I'm really excited what McRoberts bring I hope he makes the cuts.

He fits JOBs system so well and others have old me that doesn't make him good but I think he will progress and earn a job in this league with us if we give him the chance. His quickness for a big man is a dream.

Ford Jack Diener Granger Dunleavy Rush up front and we are vastly improved team. Larry has been doing so well since Walsh left.

We are gonna break .500 people watch out, the Pacers are back. I just hope we aren't too good because I want a decent draft next year. :-p

d_c
10-17-2008, 03:17 AM

If you want to crown his @ss, just do what Denny Green says and crown him now.

HeliumFear
10-17-2008, 03:20 AM
I hate seeing both Hibbert and Bynum lumped in with Ewing.

Mourning
10-17-2008, 04:19 AM
I'm with Hicks. Let's first see how he does during the regular season, against better opponents and with teams having adjusted to him and having scouted him and the weakenesses he also has in his game. Let's just give the guy some time and a breather.

I'm enthousiastic aswell.... and very excited, but let's keep ourselves a little grounded ;).

count55
10-17-2008, 07:11 AM
I found these stats incredible. I know its only pre-season but just watching him, I can just tell he is going to be a man beast.

"Rookie center Roy Hibbert has totaled 32 points, 14 rebounds and five blocks in 45 minutes in the last two games" :happydanc

I am very happy with Roy. I have been pleasantly surprised with every aspect of both his game and his personna.

However, to give you an idea of how premature I think this is, I still consider the jury out on Andrew Bynum.

There's no question that he (Bynum) has a ton of talent, however, he has yet to put together a full season.

This does not mean that either player will not be good, perhaps even special players in the NBA. It simply means that they both still have a great deal to prove.

One of the biggest threats our young guys face is unrealistic expectations.

Major Cold
10-17-2008, 07:51 AM
Roy Hibbert is the next Jupiter.

Pacers#1Fan
10-17-2008, 08:23 AM
Roy Hibbert is the next... Roy Hibbert. I think he is going to be solid at worst but lets see what Roy lets himself become.

Putnam
10-17-2008, 08:23 AM

Speaking as a Georgetown grad myself, a proponent of team play over individual athleticism and a self-professed casual fan who cares a lot about character.....

....I agree with this.

The season starts in a couple of weeks. It finishes in May. We'll know something by then.

BillS
10-17-2008, 08:33 AM
Roy Hibbert is <i>definitely</i> the next player getting minutes at center for the Pacers.

There.

I said it.

Unclebuck
10-17-2008, 09:25 AM
He's better than David Harrison. Although I'm pretty confident that if we dug up some old threads from DH's rookie season we would find similar glowing posts about him.

rexnom
10-17-2008, 09:32 AM
I wonder what will happen if Roy becomes a career 12/8 guy. Will he be hated for not being the next Ewing/Mutombo or will we be thankful for just having a talented center.

KennerLeaguer
10-17-2008, 09:37 AM
Eddie Sefko of the Dallas Morning News does not help slow down the hype with this recent blog:

http://mavsblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2008/10/big-men-still-are-gold-in-the-nba.html

Big men still are gold in the NBA

Thu, Oct 16, 2008
Eddie Sefko

Putting too much stock in preseason games is a dangerous thing, but we like to live on the edge here. So with that, we'll go out on a limb and say that Indiana rookie Roy Hibbert is already better than half the centers in the NBA.

If you believe that's an indictment on more than half the centers in the NBA, you're right.

But Hibbert is good. He's active in many ways, longer than a ... well, you know. And he's got some nice touch around the basket. He even is moving out to the elbow for face-up jump shots. In short, he looks like another player who stayed in college and is reaping the benefits by being more NBA ready as a rookie.

He's also the butt of one of the worst jokes of the season so far, courtesy of Mavericks' media-relations guru Scott Tomlin. His new wife is from Rockwall, which on Wednesday night during the game, Tomlin said, "is on the other side of Lake Roy Hibbert.

That's bad right there.

McKeyFan
10-17-2008, 09:55 AM

Then I'm not interested in Hibbert. We've had enough defiant players with bad attitudes.

:D

PacerGuy
10-17-2008, 10:20 AM
He's active in many ways, longer than a ... well, you know.
No I don't....What.....Tell Me!!! :confused: / ;)
Anyway.... I too would like to see some of the Hibbert as an All-Star talk quiet down, & lets just be patient & let this kid develope. I do not want to set the bar too high, nor fill his head w/ ideas that he is better then what he is. I can remember many starting to throw praise & expectations @ another young C we had of late, back before most of the ejections & suspentions showed up the reasons why we aere all way too premiture.
What I DO like about Roy is his "mobility" on the floor. Now before you go confusing "quicks & grace" w/ mobility, let me explain. I like that he has a flow to his movements. He does not lumber around, nor does he appear to lack the cordination that I see many other big's do (esp for one who's 7'3"). He is far from "fluid", but like I said, for his size he has a very nice "flow". And the best things about this is:
1.) He is not close to being in the kind of NBA shape & conditioning he will be in the years to come. Run him & streangthen him & watch the hell out!
2.) He is still thinking out there way too much - thinking always slows one down & makes one's movements much more calculated & distint rather then reactive & natural (Rush is experiencing this in a big way right now IMO).
Roy looks very promising right now, & lets just hope that some of that hype will drive some fans back into Conceco, but lets not burden him w/ the hopes of this franchise just yet. I will enjoy watching his "up's" & will be supporting of his "downs" t/y. I will "Dream of Hakeem" & will "Pray against Grey" (Stewart that is ;) ), and in the end I will hope that Roy is as good as Roy can be, & nothing else.

Smoothdave1
10-17-2008, 10:23 AM
If you want to crown his @ss, just do what Denny Green says and crown him now.

Still one of my favorite coaching tirades ever :D

With that said, I am happy with what I've seen from Roy thus far. Granted we're playing pre-season games and a lot off the ets go on cruise control until the season starts, but I think he has shown some flashes of what he is capable of. I still think Rasho will start most of the year and Roy will take over next year as a full time starter.

If anything, I don't want to see the fans try and him turn into another Andrew Bynum -- more hype and he had a strong of a few good games and suddenly he's the next Ewing or Shaq. Could Bynum or Hibbert be as good as those guys? Sure, but let's see what they're capable of first and ensuring they are doing it consistently before we declare them the next dominant center.

As Uncle Buck mentioned, I can remember a few years ago when Harrison was dominating Bogut during the summer leagues and DH was going to be the next great center and we see how that worked out.

ChicagoJ
10-17-2008, 10:28 AM
Wow. I think the guy needs to get super heavy minutes this season so that we can find out what we have. I'm certainly not ready for any proclamations of his goodness, averageness, suckiness, or awesomeness. Way too early.

Hicks
10-17-2008, 10:28 AM
Fun side note: They've replaced JO and Tinsley on the second story of the gift shop (the cut-outs with their heights) with Hibbert and Ford. Hibbert has LONG arms. In fact, it says he has a 7'8 1/4" wingspan!

Remember how we all said about Ike and his long arms: "If only he were 7' tall?" Well..... Roy's 7'2" :D And actually, doesn't Roy have a LONGER wingspan than Ike to boot? *edit* Draft Express has Ike Diogu with a 7'3 1/2" wingspan.

idioteque
10-17-2008, 11:02 AM
Roy Hibbert is the next Wilt Chamberlain.

:-p

Anthem
10-17-2008, 11:20 AM
The next Bynum? Is that a good thing?

McKeyFan
10-17-2008, 11:25 AM
What I DO like about Roy is his "mobility" on the floor. Now before you go confusing "quicks & grace" w/ mobility, let me explain. I like that he has a flow to his movements. He does not lumber around, nor does he appear to lack the cordination that I see many other big's do (esp for one who's 7'3"). He is far from "fluid", but like I said, for his size he has a very nice "flow".

Yep.

Actually [looks both ways], some of his moves remind me of Olajuwan.

:sorry:

xtacy
10-17-2008, 11:25 AM

i don't know actually. bynum is overrated even without proving anything.

Justin Tyme
10-17-2008, 11:28 AM
As Uncle Buck mentioned, I can remember a few years ago when Harrison was dominating Bogut during the summer leagues and DH was going to be the next great center and we see how that worked out.

DH who?:D

MyFavMartin
10-17-2008, 12:19 PM
Eddie Sefko of the Dallas Morning News does not help slow down the hype with this recent blog:

http://mavsblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2008/10/big-men-still-are-gold-in-the-nba.html

Big men still are gold in the NBA

Thu, Oct 16, 2008
Eddie Sefko

Putting too much stock in preseason games is a dangerous thing, but we like to live on the edge here. So with that, we'll go out on a limb and say that Indiana rookie Roy Hibbert is already better than half the centers in the NBA.

If you believe that's an indictment on more than half the centers in the NBA, you're right.

But Hibbert is good. He's active in many ways, longer than a ... well, you know. And he's got some nice touch around the basket. He even is moving out to the elbow for face-up jump shots. In short, he looks like another player who stayed in college and is reaping the benefits by being more NBA ready as a rookie.

He's also the butt of one of the worst jokes of the season so far, courtesy of Mavericks' media-relations guru Scott Tomlin. His new wife is from Rockwall, which on Wednesday night during the game, Tomlin said, "is on the other side of Lake Roy Hibbert.

That's bad right there.

New nickname for Roy: Goldmember

PacerGuy
10-17-2008, 12:33 PM

I thought Dale Davis owned that one....

BillS
10-17-2008, 04:13 PM

As long as it isn't GoldClubMember...

maragin
10-17-2008, 04:21 PM
Hibbert is the next Reggie White.

ChicagoJ
10-17-2008, 04:23 PM
Hibbert is the next Reggie White.

Really? I've been waiting for somebody to call him the next "Mr. October" (Reggie Jackson).

Mourning
10-17-2008, 05:06 PM
As long as it isn't GoldClubMember...

Haha, that had me laughing out loud :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

granger33
10-17-2008, 09:30 PM
Make that now

"Rookie center Roy Hibbert has totaled 44 points, 26 rebounds and 9 blocks in 64 minutes in the last three games"

BlueNGold
10-17-2008, 09:34 PM
Roy got big minutes tonight...I suspect to get his stamina up.

Ohhhh! It is so very fine to have a real center capable of scoring efficiently. Let Dun and Granger average 25ppg with Roy scoring 15 points on 7 or 8 shots. That's a winning combination!!!!

Anthem
10-17-2008, 09:41 PM
Roy got big minutes tonight...I suspect to get his stamina up.

Ohhhh! It is so very fine to have a real center capable of scoring efficiently. Let Dun and Granger average 25ppg with Roy scoring 15 points on 7 or 8 shots. That's a winning combination!!!!
I would say so.

The problem is that the chances of Dun and Granger both averaging 25ppg are exactly one in a zillion. I'd bet money that the two of them don't both average 20ppg, let alone 25ppg apiece. Not many guys can do that, let alone 2 on the same team.

Major Cold
10-17-2008, 09:41 PM
I think many here will learn a valuable lesson in Preseason protocol.

BlueNGold
10-17-2008, 09:47 PM
I would say so.

The problem is that the chances of Dun and Granger both averaging 25ppg are exactly one in a zillion. I'd bet money that the two of them don't both average 20ppg, let alone 25ppg apiece. Not many guys can do that, let alone 2 on the same team.

Of course that should not be taken literally...perhaps I use hyperbole more than I should. The point was that Dun and Granger do the bulk of the scoring and Roy delivers efficient scoring from the center position. Actually, with TJ on the team, Dun and Granger will probably not increase their scoring much if at all over last year. I expect them to be around the same level they were last year. One may exceed 20ppg though...

Evan_The_Dude
10-17-2008, 11:17 PM
It's a little more likely for a wing player or a point guard to have a few good preseason games and put up some nice numbers. But I don't think this is the case with Hibbert. I think his talent is legit, and the progress he's made just from the first preseason game to his 5th says a lot about what kind of career he's going to have. I'm not going to compare him to anybody, I'm just going to say he looks like a throwback big man. A throwback big man is refreshing to see in this league of 3 point, fade away shooting, jump out of the gym big men. Its nice to see a big man that knows his skill set and sticks to it. One that posts up, shoots a hook, passes, blocks shots, and rebounds. What more do you really need?

Kemo
10-18-2008, 12:24 AM
Make that now

"Rookie center Roy Hibbert has totaled 44 points, 26 rebounds and 9 blocks in 64 minutes in the last three games"

I know it, and really ..............that is some beastly defense on the shot blocks... especially for a rookie ...

check out my thread where everyone can keep track of our rookies progression and talk about Hibbert and Rush ..

http://www.pacersdigest.com/apache2-default/showthread.php?t=41812

Kemo
10-18-2008, 12:27 AM
It's a little more likely for a wing player or a point guard to have a few good preseason games and put up some nice numbers. But I don't think this is the case with Hibbert. I think his talent is legit, and the progress he's made just from the first preseason game to his 5th says a lot about what kind of career he's going to have. I'm not going to compare him to anybody, I'm just going to say he looks like a throwback big man. A throwback big man is refreshing to see in this league of 3 point, fade away shooting, jump out of the gym big men. Its nice to see a big man that knows his skill set and sticks to it. One that posts up, shoots a hook, passes, blocks shots, and rebounds. What more do you really need?

AMEN Brother...
Great post
I feel the same way ..

BoomBaby31
10-19-2008, 08:06 PM

Amen x2... In a game with the Disappearing center, Hibbert can not only be good but great. On top of that he acts like he enjoys being in a pacers uniform.

dohman
10-20-2008, 02:28 PM
remember david harrison had a GREAT preseason last year as well lol.

so lets hope he is not the next david.

Roy Munson
10-20-2008, 02:33 PM

BYNUM isn't even the next Bynum, yet.

Since86
10-20-2008, 02:54 PM
remember david harrison had a GREAT preseason last year as well lol.

so lets hope he is not the next david.

Talent/skill/ability wasn't the reason why DH failed here. His temper/brain was the problem.

Roy doesn't have the mental baggage of David. It's two completely seperate cases.

Speed
10-20-2008, 03:03 PM
Roy is your Center.

Harrison was your Center on Drugs.

Any questions?

Midcoasted
10-20-2008, 04:16 PM
I can't wait to see him in that first regular season game. If he can stay healthy then we are set for maybe the next decade at C and maybe his whole career. That's what alot of people still fail to realize and some are slowly starting to realize.

People have been crying for a franchise player the fans love. I say between Rush and Hibbert you may have two. Plus you still have Danny and Dun Dun and Ford. All have potential of having an all-star season or two in their career in my mind.

It's like for the first time I feel like we are crowded with talented for the 1-3 spot. And just Hibbert makes me believe he is the man, and I haven't seen much on Rasho. I'm hoping Foster and Murphy have a solid year which I think they will.

Either I'm going crazy but it seems we are getting the pieces we need I was calling for last year. I said we only needed three pieces and i feel we have fullfilled those. Our center problem is gone by acquiring two 7 footers, one an amazingly promising rookie who played all four years and is showing why staying in college is actually an advantage to a players career.

The only thing I could possibly think of is getting a true PF. I'd like to see how Foster, McRoberts, and Murphy pan out this year before I do a trade for a higher pick to draft one.

We're cutting out the cancer. Williams, Tinsley, JO Harrison are all gone. We have replaced those players with players that have more promising careers IMO.

And it is very possible Dun and Danny could both get 20 a year if Hibbert really is the real deal, causing the defense to collapse, then a uick dish for a wide open shot. He has opened up our potential alot. Danny and Dun are alot of time having to take alot of contested shots because of our lack of inside game.

JO would just miss the shot pretty much and didn't finish well the last few years and defenses didn't collapse as much.

I guess we'll see. But on my list true center, check, true starting PG check, true SG, check.

docpaul
10-20-2008, 04:22 PM
Talent/skill/ability wasn't the reason why DH failed here. His temper/brain was the problem.

Roy doesn't have the mental baggage of David. It's two completely seperate cases.

Yeah, speaking of... not typically a big Hollinger fan, but this quote during a chat was hilarious:

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=23132

Chris , Detroit: Will David Harrison actually be able to do anything to help the wolves?

http://assets.espn.go.com/i/sn2.gif John Hollinger: I'm dubious, but we'll see if the usual training camp "he's got a new attitude!" stories are actually true. Watch how many illegal screens he sets, it's truly amazing. I mean, it's a screen -- all you have to do is stand there. For some reason, he has incredible difficulty with this concept.

Young
10-20-2008, 07:18 PM
I want Roy to succeed as much as the next fan. I like his game and his personality.

I do still have concerns about his lack of speed/quickness. However I think he can overcome that.

However I am not excited over a few pre season games. It doesn't mean he should start. It doesn't really mean anything in my book.

I understand people being excited when they see a player do well. This franchise has fallen on hard times so a young big like Roy playing well would excite many I understand that. At the same time, it's pre season. It doesn't mean anything.

I think that no matter what kind of season Roy has for us, even if it's a bad one, he will turn out to be a fine center for us. He has size, talent, good character, and a strong work ethic. You put those things together and I think we have a pretty good player on our hands for the future.

BlueNGold
10-20-2008, 08:08 PM
If Hibbert gets that hook shot working, he would demand a double team with that length against most post defenders. Combine that with his smarts and passing ability, we will be in good shape at the C position. Time will tell, of course..

Shade
10-20-2008, 11:06 PM
Yeah, speaking of... not typically a big Hollinger fan, but this quote during a chat was hilarious:

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=23132

That is priceless. :laugh:

Naptown_Seth
10-21-2008, 12:54 AM
One of the biggest threats our young guys face is unrealistic expectations.
That and evil robots gone rogue.

count55
10-21-2008, 07:16 AM
That and evil robots gone rogue.

Well...sure...there's always the ERGR, but does that even need to be mentioned?

Anthem
10-21-2008, 11:59 AM
Well...sure...there's always the ERGR, but does that even need to be mentioned?
Absolutely. They're just like ROUS's... you can't take them for granted just because you don't believe they exist.

count55
10-21-2008, 12:39 PM
Absolutely. They're just like ROUS's... you can't take them for granted just because you don't believe they exist.

True, but once the Nets stop playing in the Fire Swamps of Jersey and move to Brooklyn, we won't have to worry about the ROUS's any longer.

count55
10-21-2008, 12:40 PM
Here's a poser...

Wouldn't an "Evil Robot Gone Rogue" actually be a good robot?

naptownmenace
10-21-2008, 01:50 PM
Roy is your Center.

Harrison was your Center on Drugs.

Any questions?

That's awesome. I'm stealing that for my new sig. ;)

Speed
10-21-2008, 03:57 PM
That's awesome. I'm stealing that for my new sig. ;)

Thank you very much! I feel famous.

31andonly
10-21-2008, 04:01 PM
BTW, has anyone an idea whether there's a chance to watch tonights' game online?