PDA

View Full Version : Avery Johnson joins ESPN

Basketball Fan
10-16-2008, 11:04 PM
http://awfulannouncing.blogspot.com/2008/10/espn-adds-yet-another-nba-analyst-in.html

ESPN Adds Yet Another NBA Analyst In Avery Johnson
Thursday, October 16, 2008

I honestly think that ESPN's HR Dept. has no idea how many employees they currently have under the payroll, or they wouldn't be continually hiring people for NBA coverage. The latest hire is former Mavs' Coach, Avery Johnson, who actually worked with the network last season. Here are quotes from the parties involved in the deal....

“Avery has excelled in every professional endeavor and we know his success will carry over to his on-air role,” said Norby Williamson, ESPN executive vice president, production. “His experience and passion for the game will resonate with our fans.”

“I’m excited to join the ESPN family of networks and, specifically, to join the NBA broadcast team,” said Johnson. “ESPN and ABC has an abundance of terrific talent and I’m glad to launch my career in broadcasting with the premiere sports network.”
I personally think that Avery is a very smart Basketball mind, but he just wasn't ready to be on TV last year. Hopefully he got better over the offseason because the show he'll be on has a trainwreckability that's off the charts. Johnson will be joining Stuart Scott and Bill Walton on ESPN’s NBA Shootaround, and with Walton having the season off last year after with back problems, I'm sure he'll be even more amped up than ever before.

It'll be interesting to say the least. I'm also not sure what the hirings of Magic Johnson, and now Avery Johnson, means for one of my favorites in Tim Legler. Hopefully he's still around this season because he's the best analysts that they have over there. I guess they could have just forgot he works there since they have over 30 NBA employees on the payroll. One of these days I'm going to try and count them all.

(Via ESPN PR

Fool
10-16-2008, 11:13 PM
I have zero desire to hear Avery Johnson talk about anything.

Young
10-16-2008, 11:33 PM
In a way I wouldn't mind Tim Legler jump to TNT.

Then again, you gotta like someone on ESPN.

Doddage
10-17-2008, 12:54 AM
I love Avery as an analyst and I hope this will be his temporary job before we hire him as JOB's replacement.

Major Cold
10-17-2008, 07:59 AM
I hate hearing all of their staff. Not one of them is me-approved. Therefore they suck.

avoidingtheclowns
10-17-2008, 11:21 AM
i can handle wilbon and hubie but that's about for the WWL.

pacergod2
10-17-2008, 01:17 PM
Make me a bicycle, clown...

I agree I am a huge fan of wilbon and really love hubie's analysis during games. The one guy that I really like as an NBA player doing analysis is Greg Anthony.

They need to stick with guys that KNOW the game. PERIOD. No Stuart Scott, no Stephen A., just stick with guys that know their ****.

I like the Magic Johnson signing, but not the Avery Johnson signing so much. I feel like Magic is laid back enough for the studio, whereas Avery not so much, but I bet his analysis will be good, if you can stand his voice long enough to listen.

Vince Neil
10-17-2008, 02:02 PM
Avery's voice is very challenging to listen to.

Major Cold
10-17-2008, 02:03 PM
Oh yeah I like Hubie and even Trico. But I hate SAS, Walton, Bilas.....

Since86
10-17-2008, 03:08 PM
Avery's voice is very challenging to listen to.

And it's delivery even harder to watch.

ChicagoJ
10-17-2008, 03:40 PM
As long as he doesn't have to explain how Don Nelson took him to school and exposed him as a one-trick pony - especially with that 'challenging' voice.

Vastly overrated as both a HC and announcer. Perfect for ESPN.

Unclebuck
10-17-2008, 03:42 PM
I'm surprised that most of you don't seem to like Avery - i've always liked the little general

ChicagoJ
10-17-2008, 04:03 PM
I liked him as a player and team leader, but I think he's been exposed as in-over-his-head as a HC.