PDA

View Full Version : Per Wells:Eddie Jones reworks deal may retire.

Vince Neil
10-15-2008, 03:24 PM
October 15, 2008

Jones revamps Pacers deal, may retire

By Mike Wells
mike.wells@indystar.com

Eddie Jones will not wear an Indiana Pacers uniform after all.

Jones, who was acquired from the Dallas Mavericks last week, has negotiated a deal for less than the $1.9 million he was supposed to make this season with the Pacers that will allow him to pursue other options, including possible retiring from the NBA.

“He really worked with us and did us a favor,” Pacers president Larry Bird said. “Now we can go out and look to get another player for the veteran minimum if we want because of what Eddie did.”

By negotiating a deal for less money the Pacers can sign a player for the veteran minimum without going over the league's $71.2 million luxury tax. Bird and general manager David Morway that would not have been possible if Jones didn't agree to the deal.

Bird said the team may look to sign a third point guard to play behind T.J. Ford and Jarrett Jack since Travis Diener is still sidelined with a sore foot.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20081015/SPORTS04/81015051

Unclebuck
10-15-2008, 03:26 PM
Good job Eddie Jones. he's always been a class act.

MyFavMartin
10-15-2008, 03:30 PM
Looking at the FA on hoopshype, I'm not impressed by the available PGs. The SGs though include Fred Jones, Kirk Snyder, and Bonzi Wells.

http://hoopshype.com/free_agency.htm

McKeyFan
10-15-2008, 03:41 PM
I guess Croshere can't play the point.

Pacemaker
10-15-2008, 03:42 PM
Thanks Eddie. So... it seems this off-season will get more interesting. :dance:

Shade
10-15-2008, 03:43 PM
Cool. Thanks, Eddie.

Do we really need another PG? We already have too many players as it is.

OakMoses
10-15-2008, 03:45 PM
Looking at the FA on hoopshype, I'm not impressed by the available PGs. The SGs though include Fred Jones, Kirk Snyder, and Bonzi Wells.

http://hoopshype.com/free_agency.htm

Lindsay Hunter was still very effective on defense during the playoffs last season. If we're going to bring in one of those PG's, he'd get my vote.

Fool
10-15-2008, 03:55 PM
I would love for you guys to get Lindsey.

Speed
10-15-2008, 04:05 PM
Maybe they cut Travis? I hope not I think he's great fo the lockeroom and a perfect 3rd point guard. I think this year is guaranteed and next year is a player option though. Maybe though Deiner would want to leave where he'd be the 2nd string PG instead. Just some thoughts.

Maybe the vet PG still turns out to be Chucky Atkins, who was supposed to be injured, but I saw him in the box score the other day.

aceace
10-15-2008, 04:19 PM
IMHO... This was all planned from the beginning. Lets be honest, this worked out pretty sweet for the Pacers. We reduced our roster by one which is what we needed. O'Brien did his part by pretending Eddie was supposed to report.... Somehow in a matter of 48 hours we get the exact result we wanted. Poor David Stern just when he thought he had a player scandal / pouting / negative publicity (although minor) everything comes out roses... fooled him didn't ya L.B. Obviously Cuban learned from last year.

duke dynamite
10-15-2008, 05:15 PM
Do we really need another PG?

Anthem
10-15-2008, 05:22 PM
Very nice. Kudos to Eddie, and to TPTB for getting the job done. That should help nicely with setting up other moves... here's hoping we go for it.

El Pacero
10-15-2008, 05:22 PM
Please, just go four weeks with only Jack and Ford. They'll be fine, and Diener can come back and fit in nicely I think.

CableKC
10-15-2008, 05:39 PM
Please, just go four weeks with only Jack and Ford. They'll be fine, and Diener can come back and fit in nicely I think.
No kidding....why waste $$$ for a player that will eventually be replaced by Diener?

Geez...even if Diener doesn't play......there is a reason why we got Jack. Seriously...I see no need for yet another PG.

duke dynamite
10-15-2008, 06:14 PM

No kidding....why waste $$$ for a player that will eventually be replaced by Diener?

Geez...even if Diener doesn't play......there is a reason why we got Jack. Seriously...I see no need for yet another PG.
I totally agree.

ChicagoJ
10-15-2008, 06:50 PM
I heard the prospective PG goes by the name INSURANCE POLICY, the only reason he's available now that training camps have started is because he's not as good as Deiner, and that he's happy to sign for the league minimum.

Will Galen
10-15-2008, 06:57 PM
A third point guard is just a ploy by Bird.

When the rumor that Tinsley was being traded to Denver first surfaced the Pacers announced as per club policy they wouldn't commit. However Denver then denied the rumor. So what does Bird now do, goes against club policy and says the Pacers are still negotiating with Denver.

What's going on is Denver wants to get Tinsley as cheap as possible so they deny everything. They don't want to get in a bidding war with another team. Bird would like that so he says they are still negotiating.

Now he's threating to take another point guard off the market. He might just do that too since drying up the market helps the Pacers position.

count55
10-15-2008, 07:02 PM
October 15, 2008

Jones revamps Pacers deal, may retire

By Mike Wells
mike.wells@indystar.com

Eddie Jones will not wear an Indiana Pacers uniform after all.

Jones, who was acquired from the Dallas Mavericks last week, has negotiated a deal for less than the $1.9 million he was supposed to make this season with the Pacers that will allow him to pursue other options, including possible retiring from the NBA.

“He really worked with us and did us a favor,” Pacers president Larry Bird said. “Now we can go out and look to get another player for the veteran minimum if we want because of what Eddie did.”

By negotiating a deal for less money the Pacers can sign a player for the veteran minimum without going over the league's $71.2 million luxury tax. Bird and general manager David Morway that would not have been possible if Jones didn't agree to the deal.

Bird said the team may look to sign a third point guard to play behind T.J. Ford and Jarrett Jack since Travis Diener is still sidelined with a sore foot.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20081015/SPORTS04/81015051

Did everybody get the implication of that particular statement?

The Pacers payroll, after replacing Shawne Williams' salary with Eddie Jones' original salary, would've been about $69.7mm, or about $1.5mm below the tax threshold. Since the vet min would only count about $0.8 against the tax (due to the NBA adj), they should've had plenty of room to sign somebody at the vet min.

Unless...

They've already decided (for sure) to keep Croshere, or they've guaranteed a significant portion of his contract.

(We all suspected this would be the case, but this is a little bit of a nipple slip for the Pacers.)

Justin Tyme
10-15-2008, 07:54 PM
IMHO... This was all planned from the beginning. Lets be honest, this worked out pretty sweet for the Pacers. We reduced our roster by one which is what we needed. O'Brien did his part by pretending Eddie was supposed to report.... Somehow in a matter of 48 hours we get the exact result we wanted. Poor David Stern just when he thought he had a player scandal / pouting / negative publicity (although minor) everything comes out roses... fooled him didn't ya L.B. Obviously Cuban learned from last year.

Very astute observation!!!

Justin Tyme
10-15-2008, 08:05 PM
A third point guard is just a ploy by Bird.

When the rumor that Tinsley was being traded to Denver first surfaced the Pacers announced as per club policy they wouldn't commit. However Denver then denied the rumor. So what does Bird now do, goes against club policy and says the Pacers are still negotiating with Denver.

What's going on is Denver wants to get Tinsley as cheap as possible so they deny everything. They don't want to get in a bidding war with another team. Bird would like that so he says they are still negotiating.

Now he's threating to take another point guard off the market. He might just do that too since drying up the market helps the Pacers position.

Hum, interesting scenario.

Smoothdave1
10-15-2008, 08:59 PM
Basically Eddie Jones said he didn't want to come to Indy, he is taking less for a buyout and will most likely make that up and maybe then some with whomever else he signs with. Not a bad deal, I suppose. Well, at least we probably made some cash on the deal, lost a guaranteed deal and got a few second rounders out of it.

Pacers now are down to 15 guaranteed deals:

Ford, Jack, Diener, Tinsley
Dunleavy, Daniels, Rush
Granger, Graham, Baston
Murphy, McRoberts, Croshere
Rasho, Hibbert, Foster

***Croshere being the lone exception w/o a guaranteed deal.

Major Cold
10-15-2008, 09:18 PM
Did everybody get the implication of that particular statement?

The Pacers payroll, after replacing Shawne Williams' salary with Eddie Jones' original salary, would've been about $69.7mm, or about $1.5mm below the tax threshold. Since the vet min would only count about $0.8 against the tax (due to the NBA adj), they should've had plenty of room to sign somebody at the vet min.

Unless...

They've already decided (for sure) to keep Croshere, or they've guaranteed a significant portion of his contract.

(We all suspected this would be the case, but this is a little bit of a nipple slip for the Pacers.)

What do you do for a living?

count55
10-15-2008, 09:22 PM
What do you do for a living?

Finance Manager for a CD Manufacturer.

Major Cold
10-15-2008, 10:17 PM
Finance Manager for a CD Manufacturer.
Explains your interest in numbers. I appreciate you relaying these types of information in a readable way.

JayRedd
10-16-2008, 12:26 PM

That's hot.

DGPR
10-16-2008, 12:30 PM
Too bad, I would have loved seeing Eddie knocking down 3's for the Pacers........................

...10 years ago.

JayRedd
10-16-2008, 12:34 PM

I agree with all of this except for the "O" part.

It's clearly what happened.

The League doesn't care about the impropriety of teams circumventing the CBA in cases like this. The League merely cares about the perception of impropriety.

As long as everyone abides by the illusion that Eddie Jones ever had any chance of ever stepping foot in the city of Indianapolis -- let alone inside Conseco Fieldhouse -- and goes through the charade of pretending this trade wasn't just Shawne for picks...it's just a little wink, wink, nudge, nudge way of allowing things that aren't 100% by the book.

And, for the record, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that. The more options there are for teams to improve the better, is how I see it.