PDA

View Full Version : Mon 10/13 - Bird on Kravitz & Eddie

Tom White
10-14-2008, 09:26 AM
I didn't see this posted anywhere, sorry if I simply missed it.

On Monday, Bird was on Kravitz and Eddie discussing the team, the Williams to Dallas trade, and other things. He was asked about trade possibilities with Tinsley to Denver, etc. He said they have been having talks with Denver, and that, basically, the ball was in Denver's court right now.

He also alluded to other talks going on with other teams. Not in particular for Tinsley, but general trade talks. I came away with the idea he meant roster reduction sort of trades.

He didn't mention any teams, but I imagine we might start our speculations by looking at teams with fewer than the maximum of fifteen guaranteed contracts on their rosters.

Anyway, he made it sound like the Tinsley to Denver talks are not dead, but still in progress.

Shade
10-14-2008, 02:02 PM
I'm guessing we're standing behind an offer of Tinsley and 2 second-rounders for Hunter and Atkins.

Denver, of all teams, should be interested in taking a chance on Tinsley. I mean, that have three head-cases already in K-Mart, Iverson, and Carmelo. What's one more knucklehead to them?

HC
10-14-2008, 02:14 PM
I'm guessing we're standing behind an offer of Tinsley and 2 second-rounders for Hunter and Atkins.

Denver, of all teams, should be interested in taking a chance on Tinsley. I mean, that have three head-cases already in K-Mart, Iverson, and Carmelo. What's one more knucklehead to them?

Four, you forgot Reuben Patterson.

Speed
10-14-2008, 02:16 PM
Chris Andersen

QuickRelease
10-14-2008, 02:25 PM
George Karl

grace
10-14-2008, 02:26 PM

Five if you count their coach Captain Commando Karl.

count55
10-14-2008, 03:00 PM
http://www.1070thefan.com/kravitzandeddie/podcast.aspx

You can get the interview from this page. (Couldn't get the direct link, but you can just click on the 10/13 LB interview.)

Pretty unflattering comments on Shawne...Bird said Shawne thought he was better than he was, and that Bird was disappointed that Shawne wasn't here this summer and that he was out of shape in Summer League and when he showed up for camp.

Said they're still talking to Eddie Jones, but didn't seem to care whether he showed up or not.

Definitely said the Denver deal is still in play, "Talking to Denver quite often...it's in their hands now...we'll probably talk to them some more this week."

Interesting.

count55
10-14-2008, 03:04 PM
He mentioned that they brought James White back in this year, but didn't improve as much as they hoped.

Did I miss something?

Speed
10-14-2008, 03:15 PM
He mentioned that they brought James White back in this year, but didn't improve as much as they hoped.

Did I miss something?

Wow, that is the first I've heard of that. That's pretty surprising to me, that it wasn't reported.

Justin Tyme
10-14-2008, 03:20 PM

Did I miss something?

OMG(oh my gosh), why would Bird be remotely interested in White? We are overloaded at White's position as it is.

count55
10-14-2008, 03:23 PM
Yup...just listened again...it's just a passing comment at about the 8 minute mark.

Speed
10-14-2008, 03:25 PM
James White-top ten youtube player in the world???

What was the interview... So Larry tell us every horrible mistake you've made since being GM. :D

Did he talk about the Al Harrington trade(s) too or maybe the SI cover he did with Artest, jeez.

count55
10-14-2008, 03:28 PM
They may have done it before the trade when they were light on bodies, or perhaps as a possible Summer League guy.

McKeyFan
10-14-2008, 05:50 PM
"Was picking Shawne 'a swing and a miss.'?" Bird was asked.

"Yes, I think so."

Good for Bird, owning up to a mistake.

Peck
10-14-2008, 06:18 PM
I know there are a lot of people who are going to be opposed to this, but I for one love honest frank talk from our front office.

As was stated, owning up to a mistake early on is so refreshing that I don't even know what to say.

I hated Larry Bird growing up. I was never all that keen on his coaching because I thought he was a figurehead. I believed he was adult boomer for the past few seasons.

But there is no doubt in my mind that I absolutely love him as the spokesman and head basketball honcho for the team right now. Doesn't mean I will love everything he will ever do, but so far (IMO) he is batting a thousand.

ABADays
10-14-2008, 06:45 PM
I know there are a lot of people who are going to be opposed to this, but I for one love honest frank talk from our front office.

As was stated, owning up to a mistake early on is so refreshing that I don't even know what to say.

I hated Larry Bird growing up. I was never all that keen on his coaching because I thought he was a figurehead. I believed he was adult boomer for the past few seasons.

But there is no doubt in my mind that I absolutely love him as the spokesman and head basketball honcho for the team right now. Doesn't mean I will love everything he will ever do, but so far (IMO) he is batting a thousand.

He's running the team the way he played - NO NONSENSE. Clearly, clearly this has been missing from this team.

BlueNGold
10-14-2008, 09:06 PM
I have not been a Bird fan, but since Walsh left the building I have liked the moves. I can only credit Bird (or perhaps the Simons) for that.

duke dynamite
10-14-2008, 09:36 PM

Kudos

Bball
10-14-2008, 10:08 PM
I have not been a Bird fan, but since Walsh left the building I have liked the moves. I can only credit Bird (or perhaps the Simons) for that.

...or Morway...

What I like is everything seems decisive and on the same page.

The problem with the two-headed monster wasn't the two heads, it was that neither was on the same page.

-Bball

Naptown_Seth
10-14-2008, 10:38 PM
Pretty unflattering comments on Shawne...Bird said Shawne thought he was better than he was, and that Bird was disappointed that Shawne wasn't here this summer and that he was out of shape in Summer League and when he showed up for camp.
Brutal, and if that's the case then they did the right thing to cut bait. At some point Shawne needed to assert himself. I said in the trade thread that I could see how Shawne was reading the Bird signals coming into camp as a lack of interest in keeping him, but this makes it sound like the attitude was there from the start and that Shawne was brushing aside the seriousness of letting his shot slip away.

Odd that the two guys from that draft both had plenty of talent and egos way too big for their game, enough to hold them back completely.

However I would disagree with Bird on it being a "miss". It's hard to be sure that a kid will react like that and Shawne does have the talent to make good on his draft position.

LoneGranger33
10-14-2008, 11:14 PM
OMG(oh my gosh), why would Bird be remotely interested in White? We are overloaded at White's position as it is.

Why do you think we asked for two second-rounders in the Dallas trade...?

LoneGranger33
10-14-2008, 11:17 PM

http://www.nypost.com/seven/07242007/photos/sports070.jpg

I completely agree. However, I'd like to know the exit strategy on JO'B.

count55
10-14-2008, 11:36 PM
Brutal, and if that's the case then they did the right thing to cut bait. At some point Shawne needed to assert himself. I said in the trade thread that I could see how Shawne was reading the Bird signals coming into camp as a lack of interest in keeping him, but this makes it sound like the attitude was there from the start and that Shawne was brushing aside the seriousness of letting his shot slip away.

Odd that the two guys from that draft both had plenty of talent and egos way too big for their game, enough to hold them back completely.

However I would disagree with Bird on it being a "miss". It's hard to be sure that a kid will react like that and Shawne does have the talent to make good on his draft position.

In the interest of full disclosure, I can't recall whether Bird said "Shawne thought he was better than he really was," or "Shawne thought he was doing better than he really was." It was in the context of comments saying that Shawne thought he deserved more playing time.

MrSparko
10-14-2008, 11:41 PM
We could be, I think. It wouldn't be the easiest thing in the world, but if we were perennially in the hunt and players could see we were just one piece away from being a top 1-5 team (and we had the cash) I could see a few big players showing interest. Especially considering many think all we need is one, a power forward.

MyFavMartin
10-14-2008, 11:49 PM

JR Smith - first knucklehead off the bench

MyFavMartin
10-14-2008, 11:53 PM
...or maybe the SI cover he did with Artest, jeez.

That wasn't a mistake.

That was genius.

McKeyFan
10-14-2008, 11:54 PM
In the interest of full disclosure, I can't recall whether Bird said "Shawne thought he was better than he really was," or "Shawne thought he was doing better than he really was." It was in the context of comments saying that Shawne thought he deserved more playing time.

It was the former, not the latter.

Mourning
10-15-2008, 01:35 AM

JR Smith - first knucklehead off the bench

Chris Andersen

:lol:

Its a good thing I can start laughing about OTHER teams with those makeups again ;)

Justin Tyme
10-15-2008, 04:39 AM
Why do you think we asked for two second-rounders in the Dallas trade...?

I'm not following you. Are you suggesting to make up for the 2-2nd round picks he gave up to get White?

If what Bird is saying is correct about the ball is in Denver's court on the Tinsley deal, Denver can't take on other players b/c they are over the LT. So here is just a possible scenario. Knowing that Denver can't take on more salary and that Denver is reported wanting a 1st and money to offset Tinsley's salary, Bird isn't going to give a 1st and the Simons aren't going to give Denver money out of their pocket. By trading Williams for 2-2nds, cash, and Eddie Jones with the understanding Jones retires, Bird has his sweetner to possibly get Denver to take Tinsley. Plus Bird gets rid of Williams who he feels isn't committed to his new program. Just throwing out a scenario, and if it has any validity to it, could it be Morway's hand is involved?

If not, Bird has 2-2nds, cash, and if Jones retires he has reduced the roster by 1.

Maybe just wild speculation on my part as to why Bird wanted the 2-2nds. What's your opinion?

pacergod2
10-15-2008, 10:23 AM
"...or Morway...

What I like is everything seems decisive and on the same page.

The problem with the two-headed monster wasn't the two heads, it was that neither was on the same page.

-Bball"

YOU ARE RIGHT ON THE MONEY. I think Walsh and Bird butted heads. Morway just shuts the f up when it comes to talent. He seems like he provides the insight into contracts and trade possibilities. It seems like these two collaborate more than they attempt to just agree. I think there is a definitive pecking order which is the complete difference between now and the last four years. I think Morway is a genius when it comes to trade nuances and the CBA, which would be where LB struggles. They are a terrific team because they complement each other.

McKeyFan
10-15-2008, 10:58 AM

-Bball"

YOU ARE RIGHT ON THE MONEY. I think Walsh and Bird butted heads.

I've been posting about this for a while.

I get the sense that Bird is a pretty complicated character. In one sense, a hardass no-nonsense acheiver. In another sense, a softy. Read his first autobiography and you'll see he is much easier on people and players than you'd ever think. He hardly says anything bad about anyone. I felt like I was reading Ronald Reagan's autobiography.

Move to Bird and Walsh. I recall Bird being very hurt when Red Auerbach did not retain him in management in Boston (or didn't use him to find a draft pick. Anyway, they had a parting of the ways). I think it's reasonable to think he later became very appreciative to Donnie for being given an opportunity as well as very loyal.

Now, mix in the strong possibility that Bird and Donnie disagreed strongly on several decisions. Normally, this wouldn't continue quite so long, but Bird has a genuine soft side, and he's devoted to Donnie for the opportunity.

It's a strong possibility that Bird never truly asserted himself until Donnie literally left for New York. Which seems odd, due to Bird's perception as a take charge, make things happen right away kind of guy.

Food for thought.

Tom White
10-15-2008, 11:07 AM

We should probably include David Mowray in this, too.

Edit: Oops, Bball beat me to it.

Tom White
10-15-2008, 11:09 AM

I remember it being the one (in your post) that I've bolded.

Roaming Gnome
10-15-2008, 11:35 AM
I've been posting about this for a while.

I get the sense that Bird is a pretty complicated character. In one sense, a hardass no-nonsense acheiver. In another sense, a softy. Read his first autobiography and you'll see he is much easier on people and players than you'd ever think. He hardly says anything bad about anyone. I felt like I was reading Ronald Reagan's autobiography.

Move to Bird and Walsh. I recall Bird being very hurt when Red Auerbach did not retain him in management in Boston (or didn't use him to find a draft pick. Anyway, they had a parting of the ways). I think it's reasonable to think he later became very appreciative to Donnie for being given an opportunity as well as very loyal.

Now, mix in the strong possibility that Bird and Donnie disagreed strongly on several decisions. Normally, this wouldn't continue quite so long, but Bird has a genuine soft side, and he's devoted to Donnie for the opportunity.

It's a strong possibility that Bird never truly asserted himself until Donnie literally left for New York. Which seems odd, due to Bird's perception as a take charge, make things happen right away kind of guy.

Food for thought.

Great insight... Really, this makes some things kinda stand up and make sense about Larry Bird. Glad you posted that.