PDA

View Full Version : Bird] Expect a different look this season.

Will Galen
10-13-2008, 11:24 AM
EXPECT A DIFFERENT LOOK THIS SEASON

By Larry Bird | President of Basketball Operations | Oct. 11, 2008<hr> We're going to have a different look this season, no question about it, and I'm excited about watching this team develop because of the new guys mixed in with the veterans we have here. We're a very committed team.

The players we brought in want to be here and we've got two new young guys that I think will be very good in our league and very good for us.

We showed last year we have an offense that can put a lot of points on the board but our defense struggled and it cost us some games. We'll still push the tempo on offense but we've got to be better, defensively.

With some of the new guys we have, we'll be able to be a lot more aggressive on the perimeter and we're going to try some new defensive tactics. Jimmy O'Brien has decided to force a lot of things to the baseline to keep our opponents out of the middle, where last year we blitzed the pick-and-roll a lot. You'll see more pressure on the ball out on the wings.

And you'll see guys that will guard their man one-on-one rather than having to rely on help all the time.

We all know we have to play better defense. We can talk about it all day but they have to get it done on the defensive end or we're not going to win a lot of games. If they do, we can be very competitive.

With the ball movement we're going to have, we're going to score points. When it gets down to the end of games, we're going to rely on guys individually to take guys off the dribble, drive and kick and try to get some more easy baskets. We've got guys who can score in the post but we don't have the big All-Star Kevin Garnett-type of guy we can go to with a few seconds on the clock. It's going to be a different look, no question about that.

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/bird_column_081011.html

Hicks
10-13-2008, 11:25 AM
I saw that, and I didn't understand the point. Why say this now? We're getting coverage before and after this that tells us these things. Just seems..... redundant. The only guess I have is it's for people who barely follow the Pacers and just skim the surface for information.

Shade
10-13-2008, 11:27 AM
I saw that, and I didn't understand the point. Why say this now? We're getting coverage before and after this that tells us these things. Just seems..... redundant. The only guess I have is it's for people who barely follow the Pacers and just skim the surface of information.

This is my thinking as well.

pacerfreak
10-13-2008, 11:38 AM
Yeah, makes wonder. Though I do get the impression that TPTB wants us to know things WILL BE DIFFERENT, so they continue to sound encouraging in all these articles. There not begging us to come and watch...yet:D

'Freak...out.

duke dynamite
10-13-2008, 12:33 PM
http://p-userpic.livejournal.com/55374746/727164

Speed
10-13-2008, 01:04 PM
EXPECT A DIFFERENT LOOK THIS SEASON

He's hoping the different look is not two pictures from the chest up, one from the front and one from the side.

ABADays
10-13-2008, 01:05 PM
I have to go along with pacerfreak's logic. I think the front office is wanting to appear more open and intimate with the fans.

BKK
10-13-2008, 02:29 PM
We've got guys who can score in the post but we don't have the big All-Star Jermaine O'Neal-type of guy we can go to with a few seconds on the clock.

fixed :D

2minutes twowa
10-13-2008, 03:39 PM
We've got guys who can score in the post but we don't have the big All-Star Jermaine O'Neal-type of guy we can go to with a few seconds on the clock for a fade away jumper that falls short.

Double fixed:D

Bball
10-13-2008, 03:41 PM
fixed :D

I'm pretty sure he had no intention (or reason) to mention JO there...

-Bball

McKeyFan
10-13-2008, 03:42 PM
We've got guys who can score in the post but we don't have the big All-Star Jermaine O'Neal-type of guy we can go to with a few seconds on the clock for a fade away jumper that falls short and is later referred to as domination.

Triple fixed.

pacerfreak
10-13-2008, 04:34 PM
This post was a much more stimulating read than Larry's article. :laugh:

JayRedd
10-13-2008, 05:08 PM
The only guess I have is it's for people who barely follow the Pacers and just skim the surface for information.

Pretty much. Most people don't even know who guys like Jarrett Jack and Rasho are. Nor do they follow the NBA at all during September.

So it's pretty much just repeat, repeat, repeat.

2minutes twowa
10-13-2008, 05:39 PM
Triple fixed.

Nicely done.:applaud: