PDA

View Full Version : We're NOT going to get McGrady

PacerStud
06-18-2004, 01:34 PM
So many threads ........... so little hope.

Does anyone think that DWLBRC would purge the team of their 'young talent' for a proven malcontent ?? Ron, Al, Bender, Tinsley. Say that again. Ron, Al, Bender, Tinsley.

Apply just a little logic to it all and it's clear that it's just not going to happen. Go ahead - get rid of 2 starters, the 2nd best 6th man and your personal pride and joy pick to get a guy that doesn't/hasn't/won't play in a team concept and has had back problems for the last few years. And his back isn't out from him having to carry a team - remember they finished dead last.

Go ahead - post all of your dreams and nightmares. Summer passes and McGrady isn't a Pacer. Period. Simple as that. End of story.

able
06-18-2004, 01:38 PM
So many threads ........... so little hope.

Does anyone think that DWLBRC would purge the team of their 'young talent' for a proven malcontent ?? Ron, Al, Bender, Tinsley. Say that again. Ron, Al, Bender, Tinsley.

Apply just a little logic to it all and it's clear that it's just not going to happen. Go ahead - get rid of 2 starters, the 2nd best 6th man and your personal pride and joy pick to get a guy that doesn't/hasn't/won't play in a team concept and has had back problems for the last few years. And his back isn't out from him having to carry a team - remember they finished dead last.

Go ahead - post all of your dreams and nightmares. Summer passes and McGrady isn't a Pacer. Period. Simple as that. End of story.

OK, one more time for the hard of hearing:

Tins, Al, JB & Ron was the "asking price" that dimwit Weisbrot threw out.
DW/LB "immediately" threw that out of the window.

Now this means that this is never gonna happen.

-eof-

as DW said: 2 for 1 -eof-

if not 2 - 1 then the Pacers look elsewhere, TMac goes for free and we are all happy.

Shade
06-18-2004, 01:38 PM
Orlando will accept less for T-Mac, but it's really up to him at this point. If he says he wants to come here, they'll take Ron and Al (or Bender) and run with it. I seriously doubt they'll do any better than that.

indygeezer
06-18-2004, 01:39 PM
don't forget the money/year...JO + TMcG = cap nightmares for years to come.

Shade
06-18-2004, 01:40 PM
don't forget the money/year...JO + TMcG = cap nightmares for years to come.

But JO + T-Mac also = championships for years to come. ;) :drool:

Young
06-18-2004, 01:41 PM
There's alot of hope for us to get Mac.

- Friends with JO.
- Has said repeatedly he wants out of Orlando and to Indiana.
- Harrington wants traded.
- Artest is avaliable as DW said. And I don't know how big of a deal the skip meeting with Bird was but Bird might be mad about that, might of rubbed him the wrong way.

Hicks
06-18-2004, 01:46 PM
I don't buy this cap nightmare BS. You have to trade near equal salaries to make a deal. Having T-Mac shouldn't be considerably worse financially than keeping the people we'll trade for.

Besides, this would be the exception, not the rule. Usually we get guys for bargain prices anyway, which is what we'd just continue doing if we have these two with Max salaries. Easy.

I know some think "Walsh never does that". Well, he's never had a chance to get a 25 year old superstar for young talent while keeping his best player like this before either.

Snickers
06-18-2004, 02:14 PM
This all seems a little like the situation a few years back when we were supposedly getting Chris Webber to pair up with his buddy Jalen Rose. He wanted to come to Indy, we were talking to Sacto, but in the end it all fell apart.

I want Tmac as much as anybody [well, maybe not anybody, there are some pretty obsessed folks around. :uhoh:] Wouldn't surprise me if it went the same way the Webber thing did though.

Shade
06-18-2004, 02:15 PM
This all seems a little like the situation a few years back when we were supposedly getting Chris Webber to pair up with his buddy Jalen Rose. He wanted to come to Indy, we were talking to Sacto, but in the end it all fell apart.

I want Tmac as much as anybody [well, maybe not anybody, there are some pretty obsessed folks around. :uhoh:] Wouldn't surprise me if it went the same way the Webber thing did though.

True, but it also involved trading JO to pull it off. Not so this time around.

BigMac
06-18-2004, 02:22 PM

Good point. I was thinking of this same point last week. I thought Webber was a sure thing. I never thought of McGrady as a sure thing but was very, very excited to think of him in a Pacers uniform. Since the original asking price was so hi, I'm worried about that happening but I'm not losing any sleep over it.

diego
06-18-2004, 02:37 PM
big difference though between Webber and TMAC. Webber was playing for a team that had title aspirations. TMAC is not. Webber ultimately stayed because of more money and to saty with a team that had a sot at ring. TMAC will get max money no matter where he goes and will be going somewhere that has title hopes.

Snickers
06-18-2004, 02:38 PM
Shade, if I remember correctly, Jermaine back then was the "star-in-the-making" and Jalen and Reggie were the two names usually heard first when discussing whose team it was. JO wasn't the franchise player then, like he is now, but I'm sure glad Donnie didn't let him go. Especially for Webber.

Kinda makes me wonder if Bender will be dealt, because Donnie and Larry have been high on this guy [or maybe just high] for a long time. I'd include Bender without a flinch if it meant Tmac, and I'm sure most here would do the same, but then again, we're the same ones who all had aneurysms and irregular bowel movements when we traded Dale for JO. :whoknows:

I'm not too worried about who we'd trade to get him. Donnie and Larry aren't going to get fleeced, I know this much. If we can't bring their price down to where we want it, the deal's not happening.

Snickers
06-18-2004, 02:48 PM
big difference though between Webber and TMAC. Webber was playing for a team that had title aspirations. TMAC is not. Webber ultimately stayed because of more money and to saty with a team that had a sot at ring. TMAC will get max money no matter where he goes and will be going somewhere that has title hopes.

That's money a money pretty money good money point. I don't think title aspirations were the only reason he stayed with the Kings though. ;)

Sacto was the only team able to give him a max deal, and although we tried to pull a sign-and-trade to get him, like Shade said, they wanted JO.

I was just thinking, today [Friday] is/was supposed to be the day Tmac tells the Magic what he's doing. I'll have to go check the threads and see if there's any news regarding this, but I remember him as being very indecisive when he was a free agent. "Miami.... no Orlando, but Chicago's not bad, I'm definitely going to Miami, but then again Orlando could be good, I'm going to retire, haha just kidding I'm going to Miami, no make that Orlando."

This thing could take a while.

Hicks
06-18-2004, 02:48 PM
Well a big difference was that Webber was a free agent, we're looking to trade for T-Mac, who seems to want out. Webber wasn't sure if he wanted to stay or not.

I don't really look at them as the same thing.

Snickers
06-18-2004, 02:53 PM
Well a big difference was that Webber was a free agent, we're looking to trade for T-Mac, who seems to want out. Webber wasn't sure if he wanted to stay or not.

I don't really look at them as the same thing.

They're not identical, by any means. For what it's worth, we were only going to get Webber through a sign-and-trade, since we didn't have the cap space to sign him as a free agent.

The main similarity to me is that it's a big-name player that wants to come play for the Pacers, partly to be teamed up with a buddy, and we're having trade discussions with said player's team about doing it.

PacerStud
06-18-2004, 11:31 PM
But JO + T-Mac also = championships for years to come. ;) :drool:

Didn't LA think along similar lines this year ?? Shaq, Kobe, Karl and Payton. Done deal - right ??

Hicks
06-18-2004, 11:57 PM
Shaq and Kobe also won them 3 straight titles before now.