PDA

View Full Version : What this team really needs.

dohman
10-11-2008, 12:13 PM
I hate to say this but I think this team is on the verge of becoming a CONTENDER once again. The only thing we are lacking is a Athletic PF that can give us 15 and 10 and actually play defense. I wish we could get a signing mid year like the pistons did a few years back with sheed.

I know a lot of posters are down on us because we haven't been tanking but we honestly put ourself in a situation with just one or two more trades or signings we could be a very good basketball team once again.

There are a few good bigs coming in the free agent class this year. hopefully we can clear up some cap space to sign one.

CableKC
10-11-2008, 12:43 PM
Unfortunately, athletic PFs that can give us 15 and 10 that can also play defense are not easy to find nor are they cheap.

Hicks
10-11-2008, 01:01 PM
Way too soon for this kind of "on the verge of becoming a CONTENDER" talk. Way too soon. Let's what we look like NEXT fall.

HC
10-11-2008, 01:25 PM
Dwight Howard would be awesome, although I doubt Orlando ever lets him hit the open market.

rexnom
10-11-2008, 01:26 PM
Why do I always get suckered in to the "what this team really needs"/"the key to success for the pacers is..." threads? Way too easy.

rexnom
10-11-2008, 01:27 PM
Dwight Howard would be awesome, although I doubt Orlando ever lets him hit the open market.
Well, if Dwight Howard is unavailable, perhaps we can go after Amare Stoudemire. Failing that, there's always Chris Bosh.

count55
10-11-2008, 01:55 PM
I'm going a different direction...I'm pushing the Tinsley and Filler for LeBron James angle. I think the PF thing is overblown.

Major Cold
10-11-2008, 02:02 PM
JAmes would be the prototypical PF in JOB's system.

count55
10-11-2008, 02:03 PM
Touche

HC
10-11-2008, 02:10 PM
Well, if Dwight Howard is unavailable, perhaps we can go after Amare Stoudemire. Failing that, there's always Chris Bosh.

Those two are actually realistic, although I don't think either of them are as good as Howard. Also in the future direct your sarcasm towards the member who posted this thread. I was just making a statement, I never implemented it was possible or realistic.

rexnom
10-11-2008, 02:11 PM
Please. Troy Murphy shoots a better three ball than LeBron.

What worries me is that if we acquired LeBron we'd have to start our three SFs. Probably playing Danny at PF and Mike at SG.

avoidingtheclowns
10-11-2008, 02:17 PM
lebron's a thug

croz24
10-11-2008, 02:35 PM
the pacers biggest problem is the lack of a franchise player. won't win anything until we find ourselves a star 1st, regardless of position.

Major Cold
10-11-2008, 02:43 PM
10 more posts

Anthem
10-11-2008, 03:35 PM
Howard's not exactly the only decent PF in the league. We could go after that Garnett guy, he seems decent. He has an albatross contract, maybe Boston would consider Quis-Rasho-Foster for him? They could use a center and the salary relief. I might even throw in a draft pick, if it was heavily protected.

d_c
10-11-2008, 03:38 PM
Those two are actually realistic.

Not really.

Peck
10-11-2008, 04:00 PM
the pacers biggest problem is the lack of a franchise player. won't win anything until we find ourselves a star 1st, regardless of position.

What, Rasho is not a big enough star for you?

Los Angeles
10-11-2008, 04:03 PM
Indiana's star players were never stars before being here. We may very well have a star in the making already. These things take time.

rexnom
10-11-2008, 04:16 PM
Howard's not exactly the only decent PF in the league. We could go after that Garnett guy, he seems decent. He has an albatross contract, maybe Boston would consider Quis-Rasho-Foster for him? They could use a center and the salary relief. I might even throw in a draft pick, if it was heavily protected.
Sadly, your pupu platter is only slightly worse than the one McHale ended up accepting.

BlueNGold
10-11-2008, 04:29 PM
An enforcer at the PF position who can drain the 12 foot jumper is probably what we need the most.

I think Roy will end up being a very good post threat, particularly since he plays really smart, has good hands and passes well. ...so the PF we need should probably be one who can defend and consistently hit the 12 footer. PJ Brown would be a very, very good match for Roy. Haslem would be ok. There are other players like that in the league, but they do not come cheap and will not be easy to acquire.

Doddage
10-11-2008, 06:25 PM
Sadly, your pupu platter is only slightly worse than the one McHale ended up accepting.
I don't know if I'd call getting Al Jefferson (their PF-C of the future), Gomes (solid), Telfair (meh, but not bad), and a 1st a pupu platter. It was the best deal they could get for KG at that time, imo (short of getting Bynum, which apparently LA wasn't going to do).

indyman37
10-11-2008, 06:28 PM
I say we try to draft Blake Griffin. Or should I think realistically?

rexnom
10-11-2008, 06:29 PM
I don't know if I'd call getting Al Jefferson (their PF-C of the future), Gomes (solid), Telfair (meh, but not bad), and a 1st a pupu platter. It was the best deal they could get for KG at that time, imo (short of getting Bynum, which apparently LA wasn't going to do).
Which is ridiculous.

McKeyFan
10-11-2008, 10:48 PM
I don't know if I'd call getting Al Jefferson (their PF-C of the future), Gomes (solid), Telfair (meh, but not bad), and a 1st a pupu platter.

Technically, a pupu platter is a darn good thing. I like to eat them, anyway.

Bad marketing, though.

!Pacers-Fan!
10-11-2008, 11:20 PM
Low Post Blast.

MillerTime
10-12-2008, 12:15 AM
Amare would fit so well in JOBs system. But realistically, Suns arent letting him go. No way. Him and Dwight are most likely staying with their teams.

Theyre both too young. I dont see their teams letting them go. Bosh on the other hand, might be a little different. If the JO trade doesnt work, and Bosh is once again left as the only quality big man, I can see him leaving Toronto.

If JO goes down this season, Toronto is left with just Bragnani (who they tried at C and PF last season and didnt work out), and Humphries. Jawai doesnt look likely to come back

Suaveness
10-12-2008, 12:46 AM

That's poo poo platter to you.

Justin Tyme
10-12-2008, 04:46 PM
I don't know if I'd call getting Al Jefferson (their PF-C of the future), Gomes (solid), Telfair (meh, but not bad), and a 1st

How quickly we forget about MR. Potential Gerald Green as part of that deal!:D

Quis
10-12-2008, 05:35 PM
Do people still not realize what a stud Al Jefferson is? There were only two 20/10/1+ blocks guys in the league last year....Big Al and that Dwight Howard guy. Sure KG is great, but he wasn't helping Minnesota get anywhere, and with his enormous contract, they were stuck in mediocrity. They did the right thing and started the rebuilding process, and they now have a young stud 21 & 11 center to build their future around.

rexnom
10-12-2008, 05:42 PM
Do people still not realize what a stud Al Jefferson is? There were only two 20/10/1+ blocks guys in the league last year....Big Al and that Dwight Howard guy. Sure KG is great, but he wasn't helping Minnesota get anywhere, and with his enormous contract, they were stuck in mediocrity. They did the right thing and started the rebuilding process, and they now have a young stud 21 & 11 center to build their future around.
Minnesota should have pushed for Jefferson and the 5th pick during the draft. If Boston said no (which they might have), they should have taken their business elsewhere. I agree that Jefferson is great. However, Minnesota definitely could have gotten more for KG.

MillerTime
10-13-2008, 10:59 AM
Sure Jefferson puts up numbers, but they dont tell the whole story. Look at Zach Randolph, he puts up numbers too. Isnt Jefferson's defence questionable?

Anthem
10-13-2008, 11:05 PM
Sure Jefferson puts up numbers, but they dont tell the whole story. Look at Zach Randolph, he puts up numbers too. Isnt Jefferson's defence questionable?
Jefferson may not be Wallace-in-his-prime on D, but he's certainly not Zach Randolph.

MillerTime
10-14-2008, 04:47 AM
Jefferson may not be Wallace-in-his-prime on D, but he's certainly not Zach Randolph.

Im not comparing him to Zach Randolph, im saying that numbers dont tell the whole story

Anthem
10-14-2008, 12:16 PM
Im not comparing him to Zach Randolph
Not trying to pick a fight, man, but when you say "Sure Jefferson puts up numbers, but they dont tell the whole story. Look at Zach Randolph, he puts up numbers too" then you're definitely comparing the two players.

And yes, Jefferson's defense could be better. But if he was in NY he'd be the best defensive big man on the team.

Major Cold
10-14-2008, 06:25 PM
Not trying to pick a fight, man, but when you say "Sure Jefferson puts up numbers, but they dont tell the whole story. Look at Zach Randolph, he puts up numbers too" then you're definitely comparing the two players.

And yes, Jefferson's defense could be better. But if he was in NY he'd be the best defensive big man on the team.

Looks to me like he is using Zach Randolph to illustrate his point that just because players have the numbers doesn't mean they areas good as those numbers.

But I just got here.

MillerTime
10-14-2008, 10:21 PM
Looks to me like he is using Zach Randolph to illustrate his point that just because players have the numbers doesn't mean they areas good as those numbers.

But I just got here.

that is exactly what I was trying to point out

DgR
10-14-2008, 11:00 PM
on a serious note. The team really has picked some very interesting pieces this summer. In this post season alone we (Bird) practically fixed our PG and C problems. we have some very interesting players at almost every position
+a little bit of depth +youth.

Yet all those positives will amount to nothing unless we somehow get a big time player. Regardless of position. How do we get such an asset.

Its not very likely we'll get such a player through the draft- we're not awful enough.
Its also unlikely we'll trade for such a player and gut our entire roster.
Do any of you think its possible we could get a go to guy through free agency?
I'm not talking about a future HOF- but a player dominant enough to lead this team.

count55
10-14-2008, 11:19 PM

Im not comparing him to Zach Randolph, im saying that numbers dont tell the whole story

But I just got here.

that is exactly what I was trying to point out

Well, strictly speaking, MillerTime is using Zack Randolph as an example.

What he is not doing is drawing an equivalence between the two of them (ie...saying they are the same).

Effectively, what he is doing is asking any responder to tell him why Al Jefferson is or is not like Zach Randolph. Anthem's response is that Jefferson is "not Zach Randolph" is actually appropriate.

It may not have been his intent, but it's what he actually did. This is the difficulty with using examples or drawing analogies, particular using an extreme one with such negative connotations like Zach Randolph. It distracts from the actual goal of the poster, focusing instead on the illustration rather than the point.

It would probably be a stronger case to say something along the lines of, "There's no question that Jefferson has put up some really impressive numbers over the past two years, however that can be misleading. I think the double-doubles are somewhat tainted by the fact that his teams were a combined 46-118 (.280) over those two seasons. While it is still early in his career, it still remains to be seen whether a team anchored by Al Jefferson will be a winner or not."

And, no...you can't have the last five minutes of your life back.

:toomuch:

MillerTime
10-14-2008, 11:21 PM
on a serious note. The team really has picked some very interesting pieces this summer. In this post season alone we (Bird) practically fixed our PG and C problems. we have some very interesting players at almost every position

Yet all those positives will amount to nothing unless we somehow get a big time player. Regardless of position. How do we get such an asset.

Its not very likely we'll get such a player through the draft- we're not awful enough.
I'm not talking about a future HOF- but a player dominant enough to lead this team.

The way our cap is, its not likely. We still have to re-sign Granger and Jack. After we do that, we're not going to have more room, if at all any. We could try to use the MLE to sign a player...

count55
10-14-2008, 11:29 PM

Not until 2011, at the earliest.

And even then, I don't really see this franchise ever being a big player in free agency.

Honestly, I'm not entirely convinced that trying to get such an asset would be a prudent approach for this franchise. It could even be detrimental.

Waits to see if this goes anywhere.

Plax80
10-15-2008, 07:49 AM
I hate to say this but I think this team is on the verge of becoming a CONTENDER once again. The only thing we are lacking is a Athletic PF that can give us 15 and 10 and actually play defense. I wish we could get a signing mid year like the pistons did a few years back with sheed.

I know a lot of posters are down on us because we haven't been tanking but we honestly put ourself in a situation with just one or two more trades or signings we could be a very good basketball team once again.

There are a few good bigs coming in the free agent class this year. hopefully we can clear up some cap space to sign one.

We can probbaly draft one with one of the first three picks in each of the next four drafts.

Major Cold
10-15-2008, 07:55 AM
We can probbaly draft one with one of the first three picks in each of the next four drafts.

I won't route for the Seattle Pacers (they would use the Super Sonics).

Justin Tyme
10-15-2008, 08:45 AM

Wow, you are that high on the Pacers!

DGPR
10-15-2008, 08:52 AM
What about Jermaine O'Neal? He has a pretty good stat line and seems to fit the bill for a power forward.

McKeyFan
10-15-2008, 11:09 AM
What about Jermaine O'Neal? He has a pretty good stat line and seems to fit the bill for a power forward.

Key word: seems.

Eindar
10-15-2008, 12:33 PM

JO lost me as a fan when he was talking about his personal chef on that "cribs" show put on by AT&T, and basically admitted that occasionally he eats an entire red velvet cake all by himself in one sitting. :)